Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This Offense
(09-30-2022, 09:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: His 40 time is 4.43 He was fast, he just isn't right now.

There was one play to the left where it looked like a massive hole. Crowd is cheering. Defender dove for his ankle...and brought him down.

He looked slow and plodding.

I'm curious what stats I'll see on him. The 2 I saw in prior weeks is that he isn't getting the yards blocked for...and he's not breaking tackles...like at all.
Reply/Quote
Overall I thought the offense from coaching to players showed improvement from the previous two games, and played good. Sure there were some head scratching play calls made, but there were plenty of others that more than made up for it.

In terms of the run game, Bengals made a mistake by not going out to upgrade the backfield. They should have drafted a rook with the second or third round, pick or get one in free agency. Because as of now, the only hope for an improvement in the running game seems to lie with Chris Evans, and who the blank knows what he can do. So really imo, it seems Bengals need to focus on making the passing game better to help open up the running game. Because the current running game status quo isn't helping all that much.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There was one play to the left where it looked like a massive hole. Crowd is cheering. Defender dove for his ankle...and brought him down.

He looked slow and plodding.

I'm curious what stats I'll see on him. The 2 I saw in prior weeks is that he isn't getting the yards blocked for...and he's not breaking tackles...like at all.

I saw that play too, I thought he was gonna break one. He also cut back on a play where Collins had opened a huge hole. Maybe down around the goal line? I don't remember where we were on the field when it happened. He looks off.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:49 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’m sure he’s “supposed” to be, but I haven’t seen anything encouraging from him.

What haven't you liked? Last year he produced every time he was actually given a chance. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: I saw that play too, I thought he was gonna break one. He also cut back on a play where Collins had opened a huge hole. Maybe down around the goal line? I don't remember where we were on the field when it happened. He looks off.

Supposedly he's playing with an ankle injury. I think they need to sit him until it heals.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Supposedly he's playing with an ankle injury. I think they need to sit him until it heals.

That would explain a lot, and I agree.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: I saw that play too, I thought he was gonna break one. He also cut back on a play where Collins had opened a huge hole. Maybe down around the goal line? I don't remember where we were on the field when it happened. He looks off.

You have to think the injury is playing a part in his slowness as well as how easy he gets brought down. Mixon though is also kind of long bodied. He's a big dude but seems to have long legs and a high center of gravity so he can get knocked off balance fairly easy. 

Mixon also had the most rushing attempts in the league last year (including playoffs) so maybe with the wear and tear over the years he's losing a step not due to any outside forces. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: That would explain a lot, and I agree.

Went back and looked. He suffered an ankle injury against the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:12 AM)TheFan Wrote: You have to think the injury is playing a part in his slowness as well as how easy he gets brought down. Mixon though is also kind of long bodied. He's a big dude but seems to have long legs and a high center of gravity so he can get knocked off balance fairly easy. 

Mixon also had the most rushing attempts in the league last year (including playoffs) so maybe with the wear and tear over the years he's losing a step not due to any outside forces. 

You're right. I didn't even know he had been dinged up. That explains a lot discussing last night. I'm certainly not going to question effort regarding Joe, just seemed something was off, and an injury certainly explains that. He's had a lot miles wracked up for sure, I hope it hasn't worn him down prematurely.

(09-30-2022, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Went back and looked. He suffered an ankle injury against the Jets.

Ah....thanks Sled. I missed that totally.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:55 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Mixon is a top 5 back in the league. The O Line sucks so far. they need to start drafting O Lineman in the early rounds. Team will only go as far as the O Line brings them.

That’s just not true. Even at his best it’d be hard to say he was top 5. He’s definitely not anymore.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: You're right. I didn't even know he had been dinged up. That explains a lot discussing last night. I'm certainly not going to question effort regarding Joe, just seemed something was off, and an injury certainly explains that. He's had a lot miles wracked up for sure, I hope it hasn't worn him down prematurely.

Ah....thanks Sled. I missed that totally.

I'm wondering if they might be better off to feature Perine against the Ravens and give Mixon a long rest? It just seems like he's not right.
Reply/Quote
Not sure it can be written off to a ankle injury in the Jets game per him looking bad in the steeler and Cowboy games as well.

Anyway, just happy the Bengals won by beating a undefeated Dolphins when wearing their brand new white helmets.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:06 AM)TheFan Wrote: What haven't you liked? Last year he produced every time he was actually given a chance. 

No one produces every time.

Evans flashed a few times last year. I liked the pick when we made it.

It’s probably fair to say we haven’t seen enough of him, but he’s not even in the rotation currently.

I’d love to think Zac is playing the guys who deserve it, but I also fully believe Taylor is one of many coaches who opts for veteran spiritual creaminess over young talent.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:23 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm wondering if they might be better off to feature Perine against the Ravens and give Mixon a long rest? It just seems like he's not right.

I'd mix it up with Evans and Perine. We ain't running with any success anyway, just enough to keep the D somewhat honest.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:21 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: That’s just not true. Even at his best it’d be hard to say he was top 5. He’s definitely not anymore.

Yeah. It's a hard pill to swallow for any Bengals fans because he is a fan favorite. Hell, I like him as well. However, he is not a top five guy and I don't think he ever has been. To your point, if he ever was, he is not anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure it can be written off to a ankle injury in the Jets game per him looking bad in the steeler and Cowboy games as well.

Anyway, just happy the Bengals won by beating a undefeated Dolphins when wearing their brand new white helmets.

That's a good point Cards....unless he made an existing injury worse against NYJ. That said, those two dlines ate our oline's lunch those two games. Hard to gauge much of anything based on those two games.

Reply/Quote
I mentioned this in another thread , and it's just speculation at this point, as I haven't gone back and rewatched any tape , but I wonder if Mixon needs to trust his blocks a bit more. He's been so accustomed to getting the handoff and immediately having to make a defender miss that he's leaving some yards on the table at times when getting downhill is needed. Having said this, his style is a patient one, but the aforementioned thought is one I want to look into a bit more. Obviously an ankle injury is also an important variable.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure it can be written off to a ankle injury in the Jets game per him looking bad in the steeler and Cowboy games as well.

(09-30-2022, 10:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah. It's a hard pill to swallow for any Bengals fans because he is a fan favorite. Hell, I like him as well. However, he is not a top five guy and I don't think he ever has been. To your point, if he ever was, he is not anymore. 

It just seems to me Mixon for the lack of a better way to put it is just "off". I hate to label him washed up already but somethings up. Has he has truly lost a step? Is his vision impaired? Does he need glasses, seriously? Is he just trying to hard to bust big plays instead of taking what's given?

To Gooses point I don't think he was a top 5 back either. I did think he was way better than he's been showing though. Thus far he's looked like a 7th round pick spell back only getting 5 snaps a game.

Every game that goes by with this output I question a little more if perhaps he is washed up?
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'd mix it up with Evans and Perine. We ain't running with any success anyway, just enough to keep the D somewhat honest.

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Perine may not be any direct upgrade to Mixon right now but he has been running hard and breaking at least some tackles. Mixon appears to be going down on first contact pretty consistently. And I'd just like to see more of Evans. He has a lot of flexibility.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:49 AM)R3stangs Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to this. Perine may not be any direct upgrade to Mixon right now but he has been running hard and breaking at least some tackles. Mixon appears to be going down on first contact pretty consistently. And I'd just like to see more of Evans. He has a lot of flexibility.

Plus, since, right now, Perine is mainly in on passing plays, it adds an unpredictable layer as teams may not if the next play is a run or pass since Perine is in on all the plays now.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote