Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Ravens game is all about Zac Taylor
(10-23-2021, 03:05 PM)motoarch Wrote: Lol what?

I don't know if you're serious or joking but I laughed so that fun.

It's Ricky Bobby. He's at least semi-joking. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Well, I’d never post anything in a Bengals Only forum about the Ravens…unless it had a direct reflection between the two franchises. I post a ton on a Steelers forum. I find I get better (most of the time) feedback from fans of other teams vs. homers.

Kinda had a soft spot for the Bengals since the Boomer days, being an ex-Terp. And I know lately Bengals-Ravens hasn’t been a real rivalry like the Steelers (and it will never attain that status for reason far and above wins and losses lol), but I have a feeling that is going to change starting this year. Pittsburgh is on a downslope. After Ben hangs up his cleats, they have no real replacement (and I highly doubt Rodgers is going to Pittsburgh in 2022). Cleveland? Man, I thought this may have been their year. On paper, they are better than Baltimore, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. But games aren’t won on paper. And Mayfield is likely more injured than he appears. A torn labrum and a cracked humerus is not a minor injury. One dropback and a hard sack and he could be done for a long time. No, I think this division is going to be contested by Jackson vs Burrows for quite some time. And unlike some QB vs QB pairings in the past like Brady vs Manning, it won’t be one game a year (or less). It’ll be twice a year.

We may all be in for quite a show!
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 10:17 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: How would you feel if the defense melted down on a few plays(because with Jackson that's all it takes)but the offense had a strong showing?

Personally, I just want to see the offense be consistent.  All four quarters of competent competitive offense.

Now if Burrow throws picks, passes are dropped, RBs fumble that is something else.

Players have to be accountable for these mishaps as well as poor blocking too.

Coaches can help mold them but they must follow through on the field.

Those things certainly factor in. I’m more talking in terms of how Zac does managing the game and play calling. I really liked the 4th down call last week. I want to see him put his players in position to succeed. It’s that simple. You can tell when a play is called and it just never had a chance—which results in a negative outcome. You can also tell when a play was called and it was bound for success. It’s hard to pinpoint or gauge good play calling vs bad. But that’s the best I can explain it. It’s an eye test. We’ll see how he does. Hoping for good things. The Ravens are a tough defense. Hoping Lou can finally stifle the Ravens O as well. We certainly have more talent on that side of the ball than years past.

Brady and Belicheck have proven for decades that it’s a QB and coaching driven league. Good coaches and QBs can make do with less. We need good schemes and good decision makers. Hope to see Burrow, Taylor and Lou progress this week.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If they look decent to good and beat the Ravens, with how they've been trending, why would you still want to fire Zac?

Because it would be fool's gold. A win does not equate to Zac Taylor being a good coach, in my opinion. Would they fire him directly after the game? Nope. Would be foolish. It does not remove that I do not think he is one to lead the team to the promised land. Good/Great teams get beaten all the time. Only one undefeated season, and every other team ( SB aside ) lost a game, usually to a much poorer team. 

Jags won a game, so is Urban Meyer trending up? Maybe, but I wouldn't want him as a coach, either. Every win and loss is Taylor, but his historically bad record is a long way from being erased by beating a rival team a few times. Team has come up from being a dumpster fire, but we still have the same trash men.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If they look decent to good and beat the Ravens, with how they've been trending, why would you still want to fire Zac?

How about we keep him as HC, and hire an OC with some sense then?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 04:07 PM)Destro Wrote: Because it would be fool's gold. A win does not equate to Zac Taylor being a good coach, in my opinion. Would they fire him directly after the game? Nope. Would be foolish. It does not remove that I do not think he is one to lead the team to the promised land. Good/Great teams get beaten all the time. Only one undefeated season, and every other team ( SB aside ) lost a game, usually to a much poorer team. 

Jags won a game, so is Urban Meyer trending up? Maybe, but I wouldn't want him as a coach, either. Every win and loss is Taylor, but his historically bad record is a long way from being erased by beating a rival team a few times. Team has come up from being a dumpster fire, but we still have the same trash men.

I guess the better question would be, what will it take, realistically, for you to jump that train?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 04:24 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: How about we keep him as HC, and hire an OC with some sense then?

Hiring a (at least somewhat) proven OC would make a world of difference, to me. I guess it comes down to, is there someone out there that would be able to impliment Zac's philosophy on offense enough to allow him to give up coordinating and play calling?

I can't fault him for wanting to 'go down with the ship'. I get that but sometimes you have to be able to look in the mirror and see the guy that's holding things back. 

Reply/Quote
For the record, i'm no Zac supporter by any stretch. I just know that you have to play the hand you're dealt (in a sense) because we all know he's not going anywhere. 

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 03:35 PM)Crow-Magnon Wrote: Well, I’d never post anything in a Bengals Only forum about the Ravens…unless it had a direct reflection between the two franchises. I post a ton on a Steelers forum. I find I get better (most of the time) feedback from fans of other teams vs. homers.

Kinda had a soft spot for the Bengals since the Boomer days, being an ex-Terp. And I know lately Bengals-Ravens hasn’t been a real rivalry like the Steelers (and it will never attain that status for reason far and above wins and losses lol), but I have a feeling that is going to change starting this year. Pittsburgh is on a downslope. After Ben hangs up his cleats, they have no real replacement (and I highly doubt Rodgers is going to Pittsburgh in 2022). Cleveland? Man, I thought this may have been their year. On paper, they are better than Baltimore, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. But games aren’t won on paper. And Mayfield is likely more injured than he appears.  A torn labrum and a cracked humerus is not a minor injury. One dropback and a hard sack and he could be done for a long time. No, I think this division is going to be contested by Jackson vs Burrows for quite some time. And unlike some QB vs QB pairings in the past like Brady vs Manning, it won’t be one game a year (or less). It’ll be twice a year.

We may all be in for quite a show!

While we don't typically allow fans of teams other than the Bengals to post in JN, save for the exception of PackerBacker (who has been around forever on here, as well as on the first iteration of this board), I'll allow this one to stand.

I agree that the future of the division in the next few years will be between the Ravens and Bengals.  For reasons that you mentioned, along with the fact that the Browns will be in salary cap purgatory soon, I agree that the Bengals and Ravens are the two teams that appear to be able to remain in tact for a few years.

Now, about posting in JN..  We would be more than happy to engage you, should you post a thread in AFCN News, Smack Talk, or any of the other non-JN football forums, going forward.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 05:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I guess the better question would be, what will it take, realistically, for you to jump that train?

No less than 2nd in the division. I think that is fair as they can't control what the Ravens do, as they are likely to win it. AFC has very good teams, so without winning the division, we would need a wild card and I think other teams will finish with a better record. I would have to see a remarkable run by the Bengals, with commanding wins and far less stupid mistakes made. Even with all that, maybe even more, I wouldn't extend him or anything. Roster is beast, aside from notable areas. They are young and being rudderless is fatal to that. 

The 3 and outs are horrible. His pedigree, so it is said, the offense should be in the top 5-8 in the league. Anything else is malpractice. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 08:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While we don't typically allow fans of teams other than the Bengals to post in JN, save for the exception of PackerBacker (who has been around forever on here, as well as on the first iteration of this board), I'll allow this one to stand.

I agree that the future of the division in the next few years will be between the Ravens and Bengals.  For reasons that you mentioned, along with the fact that the Browns will be in salary cap purgatory soon, I agree that the Bengals and Ravens are the two teams that appear to be able to remain in tact for a few years.

Now, about posting in JN..  We would be more than happy to engage you, should you post a thread in AFCN News, Smack Talk, or any of the other non-JN football forums, going forward.  Cool

Roger that, and thanks.

About 14 hours to kick off. It’s going to be an interesting game for sure. Likely the best of Week 7. In fact, it’s the only game with both teams with a winning record this week.

You’ve had some decent teams in the past but I think this current iteration has some legs. You now have a decent core group on offense and defense, with some true stand-outs. Chase is legit. Really legit. And Burrow has the makings of a true franchise QB.

Regardless of tomorrow’s final score, I think Bengals fans have promise for the next 7-8 years or so.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 10:34 AM)Destro Wrote: Bengals could lose 54-3 and Taylor isn't going anywhere. Trust me, I'm an elite member of the fire Zac Taylor club, and if the Bengals beat the Ravens into a bloody mess, I'll still be in the fire Zac Taylor side. Doesn't change his boss is not going to fire him.

So you are saying if Bengals keep winning you still want ZT gone? So you want someone to come in and lose then?
Reply/Quote
Took forever to "get going" with the Lions..... can't afford to do that with GOOD teams. Zac, like Marvin use to say "DO YEEER JOB".
Reply/Quote
A win would definitely go a long way in believing. We didn't fold against Green Bay, but moral victories don't pay the bills. Division rival and puts us in first. Gotta TCOB
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2...a3b09aaec9]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 11:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying if Bengals keep winning you still want ZT gone? So you want someone to come in and lose then?

I literally gave a scenario of one game, versus one team. I said nothing of the sort. Nor said anything about them losing. Even my follow up question/answer post gave a way for Zac to change my opinion. You wanted to keep Taylor, he stayed. No need to twist a narrative of other people who didn't and still don't want him. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2021, 11:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you are saying if Bengals keep winning you still want ZT gone? So you want someone to come in and lose then?

Lose?  This team is winning despite of Zac Taylor.  Prior to this season, have you seen his record?  He either needs to go, or we need a good OC who can call plays.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 09:32 AM)Destro Wrote: I literally game a scenario of one game, versus one team. I said nothing of the sort. Nor said anything about them losing. Even my follow up question/answer post gave a way for Zac to change my opinion. You wanted to keep Taylor, he stayed. No need to twist a narrative of other people who didn't and still don't want him. 

you wrote this "I'm an elite member of the fire Zac Taylor club, and if the Bengals beat the Ravens into a bloody mess, I'll still be in the fire Zac Taylor side" 

you are saying even if the Bengals beat Ravens, you want  Taylor gone, i assume you want him gone even if he wins, just a vary confusing statement that if you support the Bengals you would prefer us to fire Taylor if he has turned the ship around in 3 years with a winning season...

As for my statement, I said you should allow Taylor time to rebuild, gain experience and put his imprint on the team.  This is year 3 about the time you should start to see results of the rebuild, after year 3 is a much clearer evaluation of the Coach and the program.  So far year 3 overall is  positive if it keeps trending that way I see no reason to not keep Taylor especially the relationship that is built between him and Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 09:38 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Lose?  This team is winning despite of Zac Taylor.  Prior to this season, have you seen his record?  He either needs to go, or we need a good OC who can call plays.

If this is the case, then Cincinnati will come crashing back to earth and have a losing season. A team won’t consistently win despite the poor playcalling and coaching. I think Zac has improved this season, especially in some of the more traditional HC scenarios (4th down, time management etc) but many posters on here won’t admit it. I’d still prefer to have a dedicated, proven OC at this point, though.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 09:50 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you wrote this "I'm an elite member of the fire Zac Taylor club, and if the Bengals beat the Ravens into a bloody mess, I'll still be in the fire Zac Taylor side" 

you are saying even if the Bengals beat Ravens, you want  Taylor gone, i assume you want him gone even if he wins, just a vary confusing statement that if you support the Bengals you would prefer us to fire Taylor if he has turned the ship around in 3 years with a winning season...

As for my statement, I said you should allow Taylor time to rebuild, gain experience and put his imprint on the team.  This is year 3 about the time you should start to see results of the rebuild, after year 3 is a much clearer evaluation of the Coach and the program.  So far year 3 overall is  positive if it keeps trending that way I see no reason to not keep Taylor especially the relationship that is built between him and Burrow.

Why did you choose to leave out the very first sentence, if you are going to quote me, don't take out the one line that actually supports exactly what I said. Bengals/Ravens game. That is the thread, that was my post. You took it further down a rabbit hole, I checked you and you ignore the facts. Trash posting. Do better.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2021, 10:05 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: If this is the case, then Cincinnati will come crashing back to earth and have a losing season. A team won’t consistently win despite the poor playcalling and coaching. I think Zac has improved this season, especially in some of the more traditional HC scenarios (4th down, time management etc) but many posters on here won’t admit it. I’d still prefer to have a dedicated, proven OC at this point, though.

That would be fine with me.  I think Taylor has a good relationship with this team.  I don't hate the guy, I just don't like most of the plays he calls.

EDIT: I don't mean to do anything like this during the season, BTW.
Reply/Quote