Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
This is the BEST Free Agency I've Ever Seen in the Burrow Era
DJ Turner is kind of ass, so letting Chido walk was the only bad move so far. But the bad move is more than offset with the unprecedented savviness of some of these moves.

Trading Mixon. Getting Geseski/Moss. Resigning some depth.

If they resign Reader then i'm ok with these moves.
Reply/Quote
Did you not watch the 2021 season?

Added Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton, Ogunjobi, later traded for BJ Hill. Even on the lesser end added Riley Reiff and Eli Apple.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Turner will improve, but yes the nice thing this offseason is we seem to be carrying out a plan instead of being in react mode like we got into last offseason. They knew that a LOT of the defensive issues were communication and misalignment - enter Geno Stone who is a smart safety from a complex defense and who fits this gap very well. They also knew Mixon had huge issues with getting past the first defender even when he had a hole to hit. He also was problematic in recent times for short yardage and goal line. Enter Zack Moss who is upper tier in the very areas Mixon was struggling with. So there is an apparent plan in operation here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did you just receive the gift of sight this year?
Reply/Quote
Hopefully we bring in Kendall Fuller to make losing Chido not be a problem, but yeah, I like this FA so far.

Still need to bring in Trent Brown and Sheldon Rankins and it would be damn good. Geno Stone, Zack Moss, Mike Gesicki are
all upgrades and getting something out of Mixon was the topper.
Reply/Quote
Really need a DT and probably 2 not to mention a OT. Pickings
are getting slim.

But Good signings so far.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Did you not watch the 2021 season?

Added Hendrickson, Awuzie, Hilton, Ogunjobi, later traded for BJ Hill. Even on the lesser end added Riley Reiff and Eli Apple.

This class does kind of feel similar in the tier and mold of people they are going after. Will be interesting to see how it works out. If we can grab an offensive tackle in that vet/redemption mold and a journeyman DT who has some promise (Shelby Harris/AsHawn Robinson) I'd be happy.
Reply/Quote
Would really like to address the secondary more before the draft. Hate using high picks on CB’s. Save the first 3 rounds for the lines.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: This class does kind of feel similar in the tier and mold of people they are going after. Will be interesting to see how it works out. If we can grab an offensive tackle in that vet/redemption mold and a journeyman DT who has some promise (Shelby Harris/AsHawn Robinson) I'd be happy.

Good thoughts on Shelby Harris and A'Shawn Robinson, would like one of these guys if Rankins is gone.
Reply/Quote
Not even close. Though we are not done yet.

Reader, Hendrickson, Chido, Bell, Hilton, Karras, Cappa, and Brown were all brought in under ZT.

The only guy in that class this time, so far, is Stone.

Tee's cap hit will be higher because we cannot get a long term deal done. Moss/Mixon is a lateral move. We overpaid for ADG. Sample & Gesicki will make $8 mil combined and are both one dimensional.

Not over yet, but I am at B/B- at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:14 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Would really like to address the secondary more before the draft. Hate using high picks on CB’s. Save the first 3 rounds for the lines.

We need WR before Day 3. And, at the moment, NT, DT, RT, and CB. TE wouldn't hurt either. Even IOL. 

If we get Reader signed, I will feel better. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: This class does kind of feel similar in the tier and mold of people they are going after. Will be interesting to see how it works out. If we can grab an offensive tackle in that vet/redemption mold and a journeyman DT who has some promise (Shelby Harris/AsHawn Robinson) I'd be happy.

The 2021 class was like $120m+ of outside guys.
The 2024 class is like $23m of outside guys.

Right now (it's still very early and a lot can change) the 2024 class is probably the 4th best FA class of the Burrow era. Only better than the '23 class which was Orlando and nothing else.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:22 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We need WR before Day 3. And, at the moment, NT, DT, RT, and CB. TE wouldn't hurt either. Even IOL. 

If we get Reader signed, I will feel better. 

See I don’t see it that way. I think we are fine at WR, unless Higgins does get traded which I think it doubtful.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:39 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: DJ Turner is kind of ass, so letting Chido walk was the only bad move so far. But the bad move is more than offset with the unprecedented savviness of some of these moves.

Trading Mixon. Getting Geseski/Moss. Resigning some depth.

If they resign Reader then i'm ok with these moves.

I think you’re reaching here. I’d say so far it’s been fairly underwhelming especially considering our needs and cap space.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The 2021 class was like $120m+ of outside guys.
The 2024 class is like $23m of outside guys.

Right now (it's still very early and a lot can change) the 2024 class is probably the 4th best FA class of the Burrow era. Only better than the '23 class which was Orlando and nothing else.

I'm just looking at fits. I think there are things here that follow the same mindsets and I think we will see a few more before it's said and done. I thought we got away from those things last year, including signing Orlando Brown and so I am happy to be back in this place. The funny thing is a lot of people thought we overpaid for most those guys in 2021 which it became obvious we didn't but I think this time through we are getting better value with the same approach.

We will see.
Reply/Quote
Yeah definitely not the best FA we've had... not even in recent memory. But I'm not down on what we've done so far, I for the most part like the moves we've made.
Reply/Quote
Whole bunch of activity in the first two days.

We are no longer signing mainly former early round picks who have been busts so far in their careers.

Seems like we are getting team friendly deals. No longer having to overpay to attract talent.

I’m definitely happy about it.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say this is the best of the Burrow (or any other era). Far from it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Did you not watch the 2021 season?

Yes. We've done ok. Not spectacular. Not bad. Average. Maybe above average.

We really have some massive holes still.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. We've done ok. Not spectacular. Not bad. Average. Maybe above average.

We really have some massive holes still.

x2
Reply/Quote