Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the moment when AJ McCarron becomes a star
(12-29-2015, 03:45 AM)BigSeph Wrote: You mean when he passed for 50+ fewer yards, threw a pick, the team rushed for 200+ yards and the defense forced 4 turnovers?

Was that the one where Dalton posted a 93.1 rating with 1 more TD? Without Marvin Jones and with a hobbled AJ Green playing decoy (0 catches)? He threw the pick, but didn't fumble the game away.

Lets be honest. Both were "meh" games. But one was ripped while one is praised for posting a mediocre 88 passer rating by a guy who has barely said 2 words about Dalton posting a 106 rating for the season

I wonder why? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's a shame that the rest of this season is going to be "what if Dalton would have played".  He would've had 350 yards and 3-5 TD's, no picks and this is what the score would've been based on this talking head said and that madden simulation!

To silence the critics, McCarron would have to win all his playoff games + the Super Bowl, which probably won't happen, due to his lack of experience.  FFS, he's just a backup QB.  Somebody PM Marvin and let him know (since obviously he doesn't) that McCarron cannot read a zone defense as has been "well documented" on this very message board.  Actually, I'm surprised that McC did as good as he did considering what Denver's defense did to Aaron Rodgers (who actually CAN read a defense, can't he?)  Rolleyes

We have 2 games (at least) left to play here and it would be nice to actually see some support for those still actually playing on the field.
We don't have a time machine and this isn't groundhog day, so let's try to keep the hypothetical situations at a minimum and discuss reality.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 03:30 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's a shame that the rest of this season is going to be "what if Dalton would have played".  He would've had 350 yards and 3-5 TD's, no picks and this is what the score would've been based on this talking head said and that madden simulation!

To silence the critics, McCarron would have to win all his playoff games + the Super Bowl, which probably won't happen, due to his lack of experience.  FFS, he's just a backup QB.  Somebody PM Marvin and let him know (since obviously he doesn't) that McCarron cannot read a zone defense as has been "well documented" on this very message board.  Actually, I'm surprised that McC did as good as he did considering what Denver's defense did to Aaron Rodgers (who actually CAN read a defense, can't he?)  Rolleyes

We have 2 games (at least) left to play here and it would be nice to actually see some support for those still actually playing on the field.
We don't have a time machine and this isn't groundhog day, so let's try to keep the hypothetical situations at a minimum and discuss reality.

OK, sure...."reality" is that this team is stacked to the gills on offense, has the best o line in the game, and could  be QB'd by any sumbitch that can call a cadence....or so I've been told.  Now, all the sudden, it's how well the QB is playing, and to hell with those weapons.....it's almost as if there is some sort of agenda here....hmmmmm.

Aaron Rodgers is playing with a depleted roster, and got crushed by Arizona, a team we took to the wire and dropped 31 on. Since we're comparing QBs to him, who was the QB in that game for the Bengals?  Rodgers was sacked and harassed all night long in both games.  GB managed a paltry 140 yards total against DE, and he had 77.  The Packers just really aren't very good, despite a hot start.

I don't see where there isn't any support for the guy....just folks who remember what was said when another guy won a bunch of games with a team that was supposed to go 0-16 and was blasted for every little mistake...and still is, despite playing at an MVP level this season.  Everyone supports McCarron, there's just some hypocrisy being pointed out along the way.  If you weren't one of those posters, then you got nothing to worry about, right?

.....and I don't play Madden. Wink 

EDIT: there are a couple of McCarron fans here that are Bengals fans because he plays for Cinci....not a damn thing wrong with that...but they're obviously not a part of the group of posters I am referring to. My only beef is mullsy wasn't around this season to eat his fat bowl of crow...lol

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 03:30 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It's a shame that the rest of this season is going to be "what if Dalton would have played".  He would've had 350 yards and 3-5 TD's, no picks and this is what the score would've been based on this talking head said and that madden simulation!

here is plan and simple reality.. we lost our QB who was playing at top QB status and as well as he had in an already fine career, and now we have had to go to a backup with ZERO NFL experience to lead our team.  We have went 1-1 with him and have qualified for the playoffs.
 Are we are better team with AJ at the helm... NO... Do we have a good enough team to overcome losing Dalton and win at least first round of playoffs.. YES..
Are Bengals fans rooting like hell that AJ leads us to winning in the playoffs..  A WHO DEY HELL YES...

NOW THAT IS ALL THE REALITY WE NEED TO KNOW   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 04:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: here is plan and simple reality.. we lost our QB who was playing at top QB status and as well as he had in an already fine career, and now we have had to go to a backup with ZERO NFL experience to lead our team.  We have went 1-1 with him and have qualified for the playoffs.
 Are we are better team with AJ at the helm... NO... Do we have a good enough team to overcome losing Dalton and win at least first round of playoffs.. YES..
Are Bengals fans rooting like hell that AJ leads us to winning in the playoffs..  A WHO DEY HELL YES...

NOW THAT IS ALL THE REALITY WE NEED TO KNOW   ThumbsUp

Great post EJ. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was that the one where Dalton posted a 93.1 rating with 1 more TD? Without Marvin Jones and with a hobbled AJ Green playing decoy (0 catches)? He threw the pick, but didn't fumble the game away.

Lets be honest. Both were "meh" games. But one was ripped while one is praised for posting a mediocre 88 passer rating by a guy who has barely said 2 words about Dalton posting a 106 rating for the season

I wonder why? 

My point was you can't say AD "won" that game, like he was some unstoppable force that kept putting points on the board.

He played about as well as AJ did a couple nights ago but they came out with the win because the Broncos turned the ball over 4x and Dre returned an INT for a TD at the end.

So any attempts to say Dalton "won" the game last year and AJ "lost" the game this year are rather nonsensical, because the defense made multiple big plays last year.  They made one this year.

The QB performance in both games was basically the same.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 04:53 PM)BigSeph Wrote: My point was you can't say AD "won" that game, like he was some unstoppable force that kept putting points on the board.

He played about as well as AJ did a couple nights ago but they came out with the win because the Broncos turned the ball over 4x and Dre returned an INT for a TD at the end.

So any attempts to say Dalton "won" the game last year and AJ "lost" the game this year are rather nonsensical, because the defense made multiple big plays last year.  They made one this year.

The QB performance in both games was basically the same.

But the defense held up this year, the big difference?  We couldn't run in the second half.  Our run game put us in favorable conversions the entire 1st half.  It sucked the second half.  Hill gashed Denver last season....

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 04:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: OK, sure...."reality" is that this team is stacked to the gills on offense, has the best o line in the game, and could  be QB'd by any sumbitch that can call a cadence....or so I've been told.  Now, all the sudden, it's how well the QB is playing, and to hell with those weapons.....it's almost as if there is some sort of agenda here....hmmmmm.

Aaron Rodgers is playing with a depleted roster, and got crushed by Arizona, a team we took to the wire and dropped 31 on. Since we're comparing QBs to him, who was the QB in that game for the Bengals?  Rodgers was sacked and harassed all night long in both games.  GB managed a paltry 140 yards total against DE, and he had 77.  The Packers just really aren't very good, despite a hot start.

I don't see where there isn't any support for the guy....just folks who remember what was said when another guy won a bunch of games with a team that was supposed to go 0-16 and was blasted for every little mistake...and still is, despite playing at an MVP level this season.  Everyone supports McCarron, there's just some hypocrisy being pointed out along the way.  If you weren't one of those posters, then you got nothing to worry about, right?

.....and I don't play Madden. Wink 

EDIT:  there are a couple of McCarron fans here that are Bengals fans because he plays for Cinci....not a damn thing wrong with that...but they're obviously not a part of the group of posters I am referring to.  My only beef is mullsy wasn't around this season to eat his fat bowl of crow...lol

You won't find me saying Dalton didn't have a great season and of course I wish he was starting.  However, I see posts about how this or that outcome would have been different had Dalton played.  I think it's just silly and not what I would call "reality".  No one has a crystal ball and can predict the future or re-write the past.  

By the way, the Packers (who I wouldn't count out just yet) were 6-0 and considered to be top 3 team before Denver defense got ahold of them.  Let's give credit where it's due.   They aren't #1 for nothing.   Nobody knows whether Dalton would've tore up 2015's Denver's defense because he didn't play one snap.  It's just merely speculation.   I just get tired of hearing this and that comparisons just to start an argument it seems.  That's all.  

If Dalton comes back this year, great.  If he plays great, I'll be the first to say so.  If he plays like crap, I'll be right there as well.  McCarron, well, he's a 5th round backup QB, so nobody expects anything from him, but I have hope because it's all I've got for this years Bengals team.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: But the defense held up this year, the big difference?  We couldn't run in the second half.  Our run game put us in favorable conversions the entire 1st half.  It sucked the second half.  Hill gashed Denver last season....

Not having Hewitt late really stunk
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:30 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: You won't find me saying Dalton didn't have a great season and of course I wish he was starting.  However, I see posts about how this or that outcome would have been different had Dalton played.  I think it's just silly and not what I would call "reality".  No one has a crystal ball and can predict the future or re-write the past.  

By the way, the Packers (who I wouldn't count out just yet) were 6-0 and considered to be top 3 team before Denver defense got ahold of them.  Let's give credit where it's due.   They aren't #1 for nothing.   Nobody knows whether Dalton would've tore up 2015's Denver's defense because he didn't play one snap.  It's just merely speculation.   I just get tired of hearing this and that comparisons just to start an argument it seems.  That's all.  

If Dalton comes back this year, great.  If he plays great, I'll be the first to say so.  If he plays like crap, I'll be right there as well.  McCarron, well, he's a 5th round backup QB, so nobody expects anything from him, but I have hope because it's all I've got for this years Bengals team.

Fair enough my man....I was just offering up a reason for the perceived "hate".

As for the rest, we're in total agreement for the most part.  Green Bay has had some injuries, and I'm not counting them out, but clearly, the class of the NFC is AZ and CAR.  I just think GB wasn't as good as their early record showed.  I most definitely think you're right about that defense though, and about the crystal ball.  I think where that speculation comes from is that AD has the experience over AJ to make the necessary reads and adjustments.  That all comes with time.

I'll say this too, we CERTAINLY could do a HELLUVA lot worse at backup than what AJ has provided us with.  I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again....he's done EXACTLY what we need him to do.  He hasn't turned the ball over (outside of his emergency relief game), doesn't "get in the way", and makes some plays to help you win the game.  What else could you ask for? ThumbsUp

(12-30-2015, 05:36 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Not having Hewitt late really stunk

Indeed it did.  A nice big, punishing FB would do nicely right about now. Wink

Reply/Quote
Saturday night might be the moment.....
Reply/Quote