Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the moment when AJ McCarron becomes a star
(12-29-2015, 02:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He played a good game, all game. He had a passer rating of 88 against the best D in the NFL on the road. He showed mobility and poise.

Folks will absolutely lose their minds (more than usual) if the kid actually ever throws an INT, instead of protecting the ball.  

I agree, he's way early in the learning curve, and has a lot of positives. Watch the Colts this week, they are likely using a third-stringer off someone's practice squad!
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:38 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: We had over 100 rushing yards against the #1 rushing defense. A team that allows an average of 79 yards a game.

McCarron didn't do that well. The receivers bailed him out with some amazing sideline catches. McCarron missed deep throws all game.

We average 3.3 YPC and that's only because AJ was over 5.

Folks with agendas are funny: Amazing sideline catches bailed him out you say?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:39 AM)Beaker Wrote: He had two nice deep throws to AJ. One that AJ gave up on, another that AJ couldn't make a contested catch....again.

That one to Green in the end zone wasn't catchable. Green cut outside then had to cut back and run around the defender just to get close to it. McCarron overthrew it. Like he did multiple times before.

Green probably should have made a contested catch on that one earlier. But to be fair that was a GREAT play by Harris. Little more on that pass and Harris gets nowhere near close to the ball.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:49 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: That one to Green in the end zone wasn't catchable. Green cut outside then had to cut back and run around the defender just to get close to it. McCarron overthrew it. Like he did multiple times before.

Only because green stopped running hard in the midle of the route. That ball was very catchable if he goes hard all the way.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: Only because green stopped running hard in the midle of the route. That ball was very catchable if he goes hard all the way.

I've got to agree, Green slowed up from my vantage point - and not because the defender was in the way/etc. He picked up speed again when he saw the ball. I don't know, not the 1st time I've seen that from AJ. Is it too much to ask for him to stop doing that? Damn...does he want to be the greatest ever or not? 
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: Only because green stopped running hard in the midle of the route. That ball was very catchable if he goes hard all the way.

No, he means earlier in the game. The drive where Nugent missed his FG, I believe. He did also overthrow a wide open Marvin Jones for a TD.

Not sure I would blame the loss on that though. He just isn't at NFL starter level when it comes to reading defenses, checking blitzes, pocket presence, and anticipating throws. It happens. It's why he was a backup and a 5th round pick. Do you get angry at a Ford Fusion because it can't win the Indy 500? Nothing horrible about the car. It just won't ever be good enough to compete against the race cars.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yes, you get angry at a ford Fusion if you bought it and expected it to transform into something better...xD.

I think AJ played well today, that Denver Defense is good. He let it fly. He needs to work on audibles.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We average 3.3 YPC and that's only because AJ was over 5.

Folks with agendas are funny: Amazing sideline catches bailed him out you say?

Go look at how many tip toe sideline catches had to be made in that game. Including Green's TD. First drive there were 3 tip toe catches that were crucial. Green had another one in the next drive.

Meanwhile, McCarron missed Green wide open earlier that drive and led the ball out of bounds.

To say the receivers didn't make amazing sideline catches is ridiculous. McCarron trusted them one on one. But when they did zone? He didn't do well at all.

You can use stats and say 'that's an incompletion' but that's also 'a missed touchdown'. Numbers don't say that.

He completed only 50% of his passes in the 2nd half for 81 yards (10 of 20). He also took a crucial sack on the last drive that he shouldn't have. When the game was on the line, McCarron didn't show up.

You can use stats two ways, my friend.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 02:39 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: WRs stopped saving him with circus catches on 10-11ft high passes at the sidelines, and then the Broncos started to play a more complex defense which McCarron had absolutely no idea what to do with.

If it's man-to-man and Green is single covered, it's pretty easy presnap read. "Oh look, I should throw it to green."

If it's zone coverage and you don't know who will be where covering who, it's much harder. That extra time he has to try to guess at it is extra time the pass rushers have to get to him.

They just started playing a big boy defense and he is still in his training undies. It happens with young/backup 5th round QBs.

Unless you are TJ Yates.  Then you kill it.  Seriously though, McCarron looked clueless after the drive where Nugent shanked the field goal.  
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
For those saying McCarron had a good game, I'm just curious, what do you think was his best play?

I mean the one to Sanu deep in the middle was good. But nothing really stuck out to me like 'Hey, this guy can win us some games'. Except for when it comes to one on one defense. But once the defense changes their strategy, things change.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:02 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Go look at how many tip toe sideline catches had to be made in that game. Including Green's TD. First drive there were 3 tip toe catches that were crucial. Green had another one in the next drive.

Meanwhile, McCarron missed Green wide open earlier that drive and led the ball out of bounds.

To say the receivers didn't make amazing sideline catches is ridiculous. McCarron trusted them one on one. But when they did zone? He didn't do well at all.

You can use stats and say 'that's an incompletion' but that's also 'a missed touchdown'. Numbers don't say that.

He completed only 50% of his passes in the 2nd half for 81 yards (10 of 20). He also took a crucial sack on the last drive that he shouldn't have. When the game was on the line, McCarron didn't show up.

You can use stats two ways, my friend.
No mention of the running game?

I saw the catches, but i also saw the throws in tight windows. 

Reply/Quote
Note it is the same people who attacked Andy constantly ever since he came into the league who are bending over backwards to excuse McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:09 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: For those saying McCarron had a good game, I'm just curious, what do you think was his best play?

I mean the one to Sanu deep in the middle was good. But nothing really stuck out to me like 'Hey, this guy can win us some games'. Except for when it comes to one on one defense. But once the defense changes their strategy, things change.

He showed mobility that many said he didn't have and his best play was that INT he didn't throw and break his thumb on. 

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:13 AM)Joelist Wrote: Note it is the same people who attacked Andy constantly ever since he came into the league who are bending over backwards to excuse McCarron.

What excuse does a QB on the road against the #1 D in the NFL that mustered around a 88 passer rating need?

Are you sure it is not folks bending over backwards to paint him in a bad light?

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He showed mobility that many said he didn't have and his best play was that INT he didn't throw and break his thumb on. 

His mobility was very surprising. He did well on the run. But he also ran out of the pocket when he should have stepped up and threw it. He didn't do well throwing on the run (completed one pass).

McCarron's best play was also that TD throw he didn't have to Green to beat the Steelers or that tight window to Eifert to set up a game winning field goal.

I'm talking about McCarron, not Dalton here. Dalton has not many any mistakes this year to lose us a game. McCarron has.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: He showed mobility that many said he didn't have and his best play was that INT he didn't throw and break his thumb on

Nice potshot. Showing your true colors. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:16 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What excuse does a QB on the road against the #1 D in the NFL that mustered around a 88 passer rating need?

Are you sure it is not folks bending over backwards to paint him in a bad light?

There are no excuses. Derek Carr was able to do it and his team punted the ball 10 times and only had 27 rushing yards. And that was on the road.

McCarron didn't play well. That's just a fact. He showed some good things, yes. But he's being thrown into playoff type games. And he did not do well when his moments came.

Brock did well last week against the Steelers in the first half, then was poor in the second half.

It's not how you start games, it's how you finish them. McCarron didn't finish.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 08:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Steve Young must drink before games; as he said just that. 

.....lotta concussions. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Didn't Dalton beat this same defense....with Manning on the other side....and most of our recievers injured? Ijs......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 03:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: Didn't Dalton beat this same defense....with Manning on the other side....and most of our recievers injured?  Ijs......

You mean when he passed for 50+ fewer yards, threw a pick, the team rushed for 200+ yards and the defense forced 4 turnovers?

You mean the game where Manning was driving the Broncos down the field with a chance to win at the end, and Dre Kirkpatrick returned an INT for a TD to seal it?

Yeah seems like apples to apples.

Not carrying water for McCarron because his fumble lost the game, but why do you think Dalton "beat" the Broncos defense any more than McCarron did tonight?

And why does anyone think Derek Carr "beat" the Broncos?  If the Bengals hold the Broncos to 12 points, they win tonight too.
Reply/Quote