Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This team needs to tank
(03-14-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: ...Aaron Rodgers has a losing record over the last two seasons while Blake Bortles won 2 playoff games.  People who claim all it takes is a great QB to "elevate the players around him" don't pay much attention to the NFL.  A great QB helps, but QB is not the problem with this team, and even a great QB can't win without talent around him.

I don't often agree with fred, but... THIS is a SERIOUS nugget of undeniable fact!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Or, they're not concerned with competing for a SB.

They never have been
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are all still here so the window has not closed.

There is absolutely no correlation between winning and signing big money free agents.  Just as many really bad team sign big money free agents as good teams.  In fact I will bet that some of the best teams sign fewer top ranked free agents than bad teams.

That kinda goes hand in hand though. A lot of good teams are good because they have lots of good players making good money. Hence they don’t have as much of a need to sign top free agents or the cap space to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Tank for Trevor I’m in. I’m not high on the QB for next years draft. Don’t like Tua at all. But there are some stuf Tackles next year
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 11:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ive lived it the past 3 years. Whats the difference? At least there is a objective in mind. 

There is an objective in mind right now.  The fact that you do not agree with it does not mean it does not exist.

Good luck finding a team who does everything you want them to do.  I don't know of ay GM that has a "go to" fan that calls all of the shots for the front office.

Halfway through the rookie season of a newly drafted QB you would be calling for him to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
Dalton in 8 years has proven he is not clutch. I don’t care what stupid stats you throw at me I know what I see and I see a guy who can’t complete a 3rd down when it matters. A guy that throws the ball away on 4th down. A guy that gets sacked for a safety in overtime. It’s time to move.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:01 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Tank for Trevor I’m in.  I’m not high on the QB for next years draft. Don’t like Tua at all.  But there are some stuf Tackles next year

.....as it stands now, I'm with you.  I'd much rather have Lawrence than another Bama QB.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:07 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dalton in 8 years has proven he is not clutch.  I don’t care what stupid stats you throw at me I know what I see and I see a guy who can’t complete a 3rd down when it matters.  A guy that throws the ball away on 4th down.  A guy that gets sacked for a safety in overtime.   It’s time to move.

I have watched the exact same QB and I have seen the opposite.

Your opinion does not define reality.  And the only reason you call stats "stupid" is because they prove you are wrong.

Dalton has made bad plays but so has every other QB in the league.  Overall he does better than most in clutch 4th quarter situations.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have watched the exact same QB and I have seen the opposite.

Your opinion does not define reality.  And the only reason you call stats "stupid" is because they prove you are wrong.

Dalton has made bad plays but so has every other QB in the league.  Overall he does better than most in clutch 4th quarter situations.

Outside of the playoffs.....I agree.  Then again, the whole team has floundered there.  It's tough to evaluate.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have watched the exact same QB and I have seen the opposite.

Find me someone outside of the Bengals organization that thinks Dalton is clutch n would like to have him at QB. You want to talk about stats how many 400 yard games has Dalton had in his career. Every other quarterback in this era seems to put up 400 with ease. Time to move on from Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:31 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: You want to talk about stats how many 400 yard games has Dalton had in his career.  Every other quarterback in this era seems to put up 400 with ease.

WTF?

400 yard games is the stat you want to use to show how "clutch" a QB is?

You can't be serious.  

Since Dalton arrived in 2011 35 QBs have throw for at least 400 yards in a game.  Only 11 of those 35 have a record of better than .500 when they throw for over 400 yards.

Throwing for over 400 yards is pretty much the opposite of being "clutch".  Instead it is often a losing QB rolling up meaningless yards against a soft pass defense.
Reply/Quote
They don't need to tank, which I am against anyways, but they need to draft better, period. And then have a better approach to free agency to get better 'blue collar' players in here. I get the draft can be a 'crap shoot', which it is to a point. But looking at the drafts going back quite a few years now, it goes beyond not having good luck when they start to add up.

Until that happens, they can tank all they want to get their QB of the future, but the rest of team will be like it has been for last 3 seasons.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Tanking???? Seriously?? Uh... no
Reply/Quote
I am bipolar on the Bengals at this time - have thought the same (blow it up), but i still want to see what this season brings before doing so. I  don't expect to see many wins but that's not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for progress in coaching through creative play calling and adjustments. I'm looking for not playing scared and using the best talent we have regardless of seniority.  I'm looking for guts on the prime stage, no more small city syndrome. Basically everything Marvin couldn't provide.

Reply/Quote
I hate to break the bad news, but the Bengals organization is in business to turn profit. Winning is secondary and always will be. Wining is nice and all, but if you're not making enough profit it's meaningless. They're never going to be a dynasty team so one great season might be in the cards, but this is a billionaires game, not one run by actual fans nor for the fans. It's a business run by billionaires to extract every last nickle possible from you.
Think about this.. The Browns, perpetually in last place over the past decade were still making a buttload of money and able to pay huge salaries , but at the same time they traded people left and right with absolutely no loyalty to anyone and especially unloyal to their fan base...as long as the organization turned profit losing is acceptable.. . I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it's how things work.
I wouldn't be surprised if the browns win one season then trade away ALL their pieces again to suck another 20 years and just spend the money on rich boy toys.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Why dont they have any chance to win the division this year?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:28 PM)jason Wrote: Why dont they have any chance to win the division this year?

Because the Browns have already won the SB. Haven't you heard?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are all still here so the window has not closed.

There is absolutely no correlation between winning and signing big money free agents.  Just as many really bad team sign big money free agents as good teams.  In fact I will bet that some of the best teams sign fewer top ranked free agents than bad teams.

.......because they’re already good. Makes sense, Right?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:40 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: .......because they’re already good. Makes sense, Right?

No.  More because they get good by not blowing cap space on huge free agent contracts that bust.

Some of you still are not getting it, so let me put it this way.  There are lots of teams who sign big name free agents and DON'T GET BETTER.

There is no proof that signing big name free agents will make a team better.  Some get better and some get worse.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is an objective in mind right now.  The fact that you do not agree with it does not mean it does not exist.

Good luck finding a team who does everything you want them to do.  I don't know of ay GM that has a "go to" fan that calls all of the shots for the front office.

Halfway through the rookie season of a newly drafted QB you would be calling for him to be replaced.

You mean you really don't want to see a team run buy message board committee? I'd kind of enjoy it as long as it's some other team like the squeelies.. 
I can already see the hierarchy of how it's run.. The poster with the most posts gets to make all the decisions so everyone and their uncle will be posting any and everything that comes to mind including recipes for homemade toilet paper pie, how to butter up your balls for your dog to lick and other delightful topics.. 
Congratulations Poster X! You get to decide who gets traded and who gets to be the starting QB on a team with no QB!  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote