Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Bengals poised for breakout seasons
I can get onboard with those three and add a fourth - C. Brown
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, if you want to define breakout as guys who are already here (as opposed to newcomers), I will go with an emergent eight.

1. Murphy, DE
2. Iosivas, WR
3. CTB, CB
4. D. Hill, CB
5. C. Brown, RB
6. DJ Turner, CB
7. J. Battle, SS
8. C. Jones, WR.

If I had to go 10, I guess Volson and Tycen Anderson would be my last two.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As the article stated, his game took a big step forward during the second half of last season. With that in mind, I'll be looking forward to his performance this season changing your opinion of him.  Cool

You know a lot more about the big uglies than I do - which gives me a lot more hope than I have.  My big concern has been for the interior.   My hope is that between a Volson step forward and Matt Lee , we will have the depth we have needed for so long on the o-line.

And I am stoked about the other two.  Burton has sounded like he's going to be a stud.  So if Iosivas is the best WR on the field in OTAs that is pretty exciting

And if Murphy pans out like it seems he seems ready to there is a LOT to be excited about going into camp.

Nice positive thread!
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 03:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I can get onboard with those three and add a fourth - C. Brown

Right on. If Brown is having a break out season then the run game is doing well.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 02:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's going to be a hell of a year!

Always the shameless optimist...  but I think you're right!
Reply/Quote
My 3 would be

Chase Brown - believe Zac is going to get very creative with the speedster.

Dax Hill - think he proves the naysayers wrong when he excels while switching positions.

DJ Turner - expecting a big step forward this season from Turner (fingers crossed anyway)

Although am expecting Murphy and Ossai to make jumps as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How many years was Boling here before he developed into a good Guard? I don't remember him being all that great when we first drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

i don;t think it matters that he is going to be 26, he has only played two seasons so has not played that long to think that his play has peaked . Im not sure if he will breakout this year but the positive that you do want to see from recent drafted players is improvement from one year to the next and we did see that with Volson from his rookie year to 2nd year so I could see an expectation that he will move the bar more this season.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 06:25 PM)Mer Wrote: How many years was Boling here before he developed into a good Guard?  I don't remember him being all that great when we first drafted him.

Boling's first year as our starter (2nd year in the NFL) he earned a PFF rating of 69.4. He was credited for giving up 1 Penalty and 4 sacks. He scoredmid/high 70s his next few years

Last year Volson scored a 58.4 and was credited with 3 penalties and 5 sacks and that's his best year to date
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 06:25 PM)Mer Wrote: How many years was Boling here before he developed into a good Guard?  I don't remember him being all that great when we first drafted him.

Boling's first year starting was his 2nd year in the leage--2012--and he was above average and rock solid from the start. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I really wish people would stop relying on PFF synthetic "scores". Volson played effectively last year especially when they started changing the scheme to get under center more, run a bit more and do things to confuse defenses. Karras also suddenly jumped in play indeed the whole line looked better. The ragged play out of the whole offense in the second Stealer game and KC game was much more Browning taking way too long to decide and throw than anything else.

I like Browning but he was a backup for a reason - in his case he takes too long to process and throw. I assume he'll work hard on that and if he fixes it he could easiuly be an effective NFL starting QB.
Reply/Quote
If that happens with those 3 it would be an awesome leap forward for the team. O line particularly.
Reply/Quote
I think if the Bengals have any 3 young players break out in 2024, we have a great year. If we have 3 starting vets have all pro years (1st time any all pro), we likley are Super Bowl bound.

We need to get to the Super Bowl, fi we do I love our chances.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 09:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: I really wish people would stop relying on PFF synthetic "scores". Volson played effectively last year especially when they started changing the scheme to get under center more, run a bit more and do things to confuse defenses. Karras also suddenly jumped in play indeed the whole line looked better. The ragged play out of the whole offense in the second Stealer game and KC game was much more Browning taking way too long to decide and throw than anything else.

I like Browning but he was a backup for a reason  - in his case he takes too long to process and throw. I assume he'll work hard on that and if he fixes it he could easiuly be an effective NFL starting QB.

I don't rely on PFF, I do often use them to support what I see. After 2 years in the NFL I've seen Volson be among the worst starting NFL olinemen in the league. 

Yours or anyone else's anecdotal declarations to the opposite do not change that.

Volson is big, athletic, durable, and hard-working. He's just not very good.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This story comes from the Last Word On Sports, and I suppose they likely do one of these articles for every team. I chose to post this one, not just because it's on the Bengals (duh?) but because it goes hand in hand with what many of us have been talking about throughout OTAs and Minicamp. They chose Murphy, Iosivas, and yes, the much maligned Cordell Volson as the Bengals breakout season candidates, and I couldn't agree more.

What say you? Did they get it wrong, leave anyone out?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-breakout-candidates-for-the-cincinnati-bengals/ar-BB1onQI1?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=58dc94d97fec4a939a5f7a20fa800385&ei=14

i think Murphy will become more visible and I think Iosivas will be the reason the team lets Tee walk after this year
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
New Murphy would be listed. Volson is a surprise but I could see it. He's in his final two years of his contract so his window to make his future career is closing. He'll probably be extra focused (I hope).

Could BJ Hill qualify as someone having a breakout year? Like we all have seen him be productive before but I wonder if this is the year he again greatly exceeds expectations.

CTB might be another player who we know is good but this year could be all over the field playing at a pro-bowl level.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 09:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think if the Bengals have any 3 young players break out in 2024, we have a great year. If we have 3 starting vets have all pro years (1st time any all pro), we likley are Super Bowl bound.

We need to get to the Super Bowl, fi we do I love our chances.

I would think everyone that makes SB love their chances with a 50% chance of winning.. lol
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't rely on PFF, I do often use them to support what I see. After 2 years in the NFL I've seen Volson be among the worst starting NFL olinemen in the league. 

Yours or anyone else's anecdotal declarations to the opposite do not change that.

Volson is big, athletic, durable, and hard-working. He's just not very good.

Volson has a 4.76 RAS as a T and a 6.06 as a G, so he's not really athletic by NFL standards.

Beyond PFF scores, he's allowed 5 sacks each of his two years as a starter, putting him 5th and 9th for most sacks allowed by a G.  He's a liability as a pass protector.  You also don't have to be an X's and O's genius to watch him fail to pick up stunts with regularity.  

I mean, when it's the coaches fault and the other player's faults that a guy who's accomplished nothing despite two years as a starter sucks, it's probably safe to say the shitty 2 year starter sucks.  
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If it is true 26-year-old or players in year 3 in the NFL never develop, then why does any team have a practice squad full of these players? Why waste money on these guys? Why do coaches waste time attempting to make them better? 

I guess guys like former WR TJ Houshmandzadeh should have been cut in your eyes.

To be fair, TJ was questionable to make the roster going into his season 4.  The slightest injury in training camp would have likely led to him being cut before the season started.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 12:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Good ole Bobby Hart...  Mellow

Rod "The Matador" Jones...
Reply/Quote