Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Bengals poised for breakout seasons
(06-19-2024, 07:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That's not a good thing at all if you're 26 in your third year and not good. 

Carson Palmer was 27 in his 3rd season, burrow 26. It happens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Much different than when they were down on him last off-season. 

I mention it because that's the guy both the DC and DL coach seem the most excited about during interviews. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I just don’t see it with Volson. He is going into his age 26 season, and you usually are what you are by that point.

I'd agree with this if a player came out of a program like Wisconsin. Volson did not and is likely still benefitting from being around elite coaches and elite linemates. (I use the term elite loosely, as NFL quality as opposed to smaller college)

I think Yoshi has the biggest hurdle to be a breakout player. Not because he hasn't improved, but the fact that Chase and Higgins are on the field, along with the new rookie WR, and the supposedly improved Tight End room. Yoshi's biggest hurdle is simply there's only so many balls. 
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 03:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree 100% and if they choose LG as the spot to "skimp" so be it. It's just no one is going to convince me he's been a good LG or at age 26 going to start his Pro Bowl career. 

I see Volson's ceiling as a guy who will allow a handful of sacks (3-5) and around 25-30 total pressures a season.
Right now, he's averaging 5 sacks and 38 total pressures a season.
Someone who is elite at OG will average around 3 sacks and around 15-20 total pressures a season.
Volson is also not some pile pusher that runners can get behind and get 5+ yards a pop.

I don't see Volson ever being a Pro Bowler, but he may eventually get to solid if he can consistently perform the entire year like he did the second half of last season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also some sources say 4 sacks not 5 - the discrepancy seems to be PFF is attributing a sack to Volson against KC that other sources attribute to Mixon. Just something to note.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This story comes from the Last Word On Sports, and I suppose they likely do one of these articles for every team. I chose to post this one, not just because it's on the Bengals (duh?) but because it goes hand in hand with what many of us have been talking about throughout OTAs and Minicamp. They chose Murphy, Iosivas, and yes, the much maligned Cordell Volson as the Bengals breakout season candidates, and I couldn't agree more.

What say you? Did they get it wrong, leave anyone out?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-breakout-candidates-for-the-cincinnati-bengals/ar-BB1onQI1?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=58dc94d97fec4a939a5f7a20fa800385&ei=14

I could definitely see it with Murphy the most, I was surprised he improved as much as he did as a rookie getting his moves down as
the season went on and he was one of the best looking Ends as a rookie by the end of the season. MM is already a good run stopper 
and has the talent to become an elite pass rusher with his athleticism and strength.

Iosivas has looked really good I hear, but I think once Tee is back and Jermaine Burton starts getting a lot of snaps it will be hard for
Yoshi to have a breakout season. Burton has fantastic hands and adjusts to the ball naturally and is extremely explosive.

Volson needs to start out this season strong for once and yes, he could have a breakout season as he is currently our weakest link on
the OL like they say. Sure hope so, the way a team gets better the most is when the weakest players get stronger. You are only as strong
as your weakest link.

Gesicki and Zack Moss on Offense and Murphy and DJ Turner on D are my breakout players this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2024, 10:00 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Carson Palmer was 27 in his 3rd season, burrow 26.  It happens.

This^, When I think of Volson's first 2 seasons the comparisons that come to mind are Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 11:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This^, When I think of Volson's first 2 seasons the comparisons that come to mind are Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer. 

Made me lol
Reply/Quote
This will be the year cordell Volson takes the next step. I can feel it in my plums

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 11:45 AM)bfine32 Wrote: This^, When I think of Volson's first 2 seasons the comparisons that come to mind are Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer. 

Has nothing to do with position, play, etc. it was a reply to that being 26 years old but only year 3 in the league was never good.

Charlie jones is going into his age 26 season, year 2.
We drafted a 25 year old rookie tight end, mchlaughlin.
If All makes it 3 years he will be in age 27 season.
Chase brown will be 26 his 3rd year in the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 12:10 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Has nothing to do with position, play, etc.  it was a reply to that being 26 years old but only year 3 in the league was never good.  

Charlie jones is going into his age 26 season, year 2.
We drafted a 25 year old rookie tight end, mchlaughlin.
If All makes it 3 years he will be in age 27 season.
Chase brown will be 26 his 3rd year in the league.

You either didn't read all of his post or ignored part of it. He stated "It's not good going into your 3rd year at 26 and are not good". Joe Burrow was among the best QBs in the NFL his 2nd year and led his team to the Superbowl. CP9 was promising his 2nd year (1st year playing) and was great by his 2nd year playing. 

If Charlie Jones or Chase Brown don't make a big leap this year; I'll have 0 problem with asserting they are not our future
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 10:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If Murphy has a breakout season then I'll be ecstatic because it means he's putting a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs. It would be sweet if he becomes the guy that other teams fear.

That’s exactly what we need. Hendrickson might be the closest guy we have on this team. Great numbers, but for whatever reason he doesn't strike fear in opposing AFCN teams like Garrett or Watt. At least I don’t think he does, could be wrong. Garrett single handedly wrecks our offense. I don’t see any of our guys doing that other than Hendrickson occasionally and Lou.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 01:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You either didn't read all of his post or ignored part of it. He stated "It's not good going into your 3rd year at 26 and are not good". Joe Burrow was among the best QBs in the NFL his 2nd year and led his team to the Superbowl. CP9 was promising his 2nd year (1st year playing) and was great by his 2nd year playing. 

If Charlie Jones or Chase Brown don't make a big leap this year; I'll have 0 problem with asserting they are not our future

I Missed the last “not good” part. It didn’t read correct, or I didn’t read it correct. There are still other examples, James Harrison, Cameron wake, Alex smith, Wes welker. All of these took years to develop after being average or downright awful.

We are getting way too caught up on one guy, out of 5. For an OL, the whole is greater than the sum of their parts. If they can all play at, or slightly above, an average level, they could be top 10.

Every team has average, to below average, starters at some position . Honestly, LG should be one of the easiest places to hide on.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 02:53 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: There are still other examples, James Harrison, Cameron wake, Alex smith, Wes welker.  All of these took years to develop after being average or downright awful.  

We are getting way too caught up on one guy, out of 5.  For an OL, the whole is greater than the sum of their parts.  If they can all play at, or slightly above, an average level, they could be top 10.

Every team has average, to below average, starters at some position .  Honestly, LG should be one of the easiest places to hide on.

All true, nice post Bengalbug. Sure hope Volson ups his game big time and he very well could.

He shows great flashes at times that I think most miss and that is understandable, it is easy to miss it when an OL plays well.

It is when they suck that they stand out. Volson was really bad early last season and it really stood out.

In the 49ers game, he completely abused Arik Armstead, a DT that a lot on here wanted in FA.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, nice post Bengalbug. Sure hope Volson ups his game big time and he very well could.

He shows great flashes at times that I think must of missed and that is understandable, it is easy to miss it when an OL plays well.

It is when they suck that they stand out. Volson was really bad early last season and it really stood out.

In the 49ers game, he completely abused Arik Armstead, a DT that a lot on here wanted in FA.

I am hoping that returning 4/5 starters and only relying on a new RT, who is a 10 year vet, should help with communication. I’m also hoping we learned a thing or two from the playcalling EOY last year and that carries over as well.

Guess we will find out.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 11:41 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could definitely see it with Murphy the most, I was surprised he improved as much as he did as a rookie getting his moves down as
the season went on and he was one of the best looking Ends as a rookie by the end of the season. MM is already a good run stopper 
and has the talent to become an elite pass rusher with his athleticism and strength.

Did you miss the "Mile Murphy is a Bum" thread... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Chase Brown is the one to watch for me. I have been told by some people that they wouldn't be surprised if he takes the majority of the snaps by the end of the year as he gets his opportunity to shine.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 03:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Chase Brown is the one to watch for me. I have been told by some people that they wouldn't be surprised if he takes the majority of the snaps by the end of the year as he gets his opportunity to shine.

That would not surprise me a bit. He was accustomed to a heavy work load at Illinois, and Moss should make a great compliment to pair with him as the 3rd down/short yardage/change of pace back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2024, 03:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I am hoping that returning 4/5 starters and only relying on a new RT, who is a 10 year vet, should help with communication.  I’m also hoping we learned a thing or two from the playcalling EOY last year and that carries over as well.  

Guess we will find out.

I think communication and the play calling will improve big time this year. It was all hampered last season when Burrow was hurt.

(06-20-2024, 03:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Did you miss the "Mile Murphy is a Bum" thread... Hilarious

Sure didn't lol

Was a joke then and is an even bigger joke now...

(06-20-2024, 03:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Chase Brown is the one to watch for me. I have been told by some people that they wouldn't be surprised if he takes the majority of the snaps by the end of the year as he gets his opportunity to shine.

I definitely understand Chase Brown being the one to watch with his explosiveness. I said Zack Moss because I think he will get the majority
of the snaps at RB and I think Moss will do well with them, but if he doesn't Chase Brown very well could be the breakout RB.
Reply/Quote

I think the offense will be better if Brown can be the lead back. Mainly because his big play ability will force opposing DL to focus on their run fits more instead of just teeing off on their pass rush because they know the RB won't get more than 10 yards if they get to the second level, anyways.

The big problems are can he handle his pass pro assignments and prove the fumbling issues from college are behind him?  We aren't going to find out either in early OTA's.
Reply/Quote