Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Travel/Loop or Alternate Reality Movies
I know i'm not alone in this, but I absolutely love movies where the gimmick is time travel, time loop, or an alternate reality.  I'm always looking for new ones to watch...sadly i fear I've seen basically all of them from the last 20 years...I try not to get hung up on the science or plot on how they work and ruin the movie.  Here are a few fun ones (that are lesser known) from the last decade or so that I really liked and suggest people check out....
ARQ
Time Trap
Parallel
Project Almanac
When We First Met
Time Freak
Predestination

I'm open to suggestions too...so if you know an off the radar movie, feel free to send it my way...you can probably assume I've seen most of the popular ones.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
That list of movies must be all indies or something, but possibly they're on Vuduu or someplace.

"Yesterdays" was a really good alternative reality movie. Many of the popular/mainstream movies about time travel/alternate history/time loop end up being gagworthy. "The Time Traveler's Wife" comes to mind. I read Stephen King's 11/22/63 thinking it would be about our world had JFK survived, but there was only one extremely brief chapter about a dystopic USA after presidencies by JFK and RFK.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 09:10 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: That list of movies must be all indies or something, but possibly they're on Vuduu or someplace.

"Yesterdays" was a really good alternative reality movie. Many of the popular/mainstream movies about time travel/alternate history/time loop end up being gagworthy. "The Time Traveler's Wife" comes to mind. I read Stephen King's 11/22/63 thinking it would be about our world had JFK survived, but there was only one extremely brief chapter about a dystopic USA after presidencies by JFK and RFK.

I'm sure most of them are indie/low budget.  However there are some "names" in them.  Time Freak has Sophie Turner (GoT) and Asa Butterfield (Enders Game).  Predestination has Ethan Hawke and is actually really good.  Most of these movies can be found on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.  

I get what you mean about The Time Travelers Wife which is why you have to ignore the science behind the gimmick on some to just enjoy the story.  

The worst one i've ever seen was The Butterfly Effect 2 (They made 3!).  It's probably the worst movie I've ever seen.  The 3rd one was less bad but man the 2nd was awful. 

I've never seen Yesterday and it looks interesting.  I'll check it out this weekend, thanks!
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 01:02 PM)basballguy Wrote: I'm sure most of them are indie/low budget.  However there are some "names" in them.  Time Freak has Sophie Turner (GoT) and Asa Butterfield (Enders Game).  Predestination has Ethan Hawke and is actually really good.  Most of these movies can be found on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu.  

I get what you mean about The Time Travelers Wife which is why you have to ignore the science behind the gimmick on some to just enjoy the story.  

The worst one i've ever seen was The Butterfly Effect 2 (They made 3!).  It's probably the worst movie I've ever seen.  The 3rd one was less bad but man the 2nd was awful. 

I've never seen Yesterday and it looks interesting.  I'll check it out this weekend, thanks!

have you watched "Dark" on netflix?   its a series but all about time travel
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 01:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: have you watched "Dark" on netflix?   its a series but all about time travel

I have not!  Another one to check out.  How do you like it?
Reply/Quote
Somewhere in Time - is a good non-indie film with a stellar cast

On side note: I found it extremely amusing that Avengers: Endgame's take on time travel didn't copy any of the previous takes on time travel but shaat all over them and re-wrote it. lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 01:24 PM)basballguy Wrote: I have not!  Another one to check out.  How do you like it?

Its definately a show you have to pay attention to everything...   Season 3 gets a bit iffy but it all comes together in the end.

(think the series is done)

Also....

TIME BANDITS lol
Reply/Quote
Looper
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Age of Ultron
An American Pickle

If you like to read, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" by Salman Rushdie is a great book about alternate realities colliding. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looper
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Age of Ultron
An American Pickle

If you like to read, "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" by Salman Rushdie is a great book about alternate realities colliding. 

Seen the first 3.  Looper wasn't bad and was a semi-original idea which i could appreciate.  

An American Pickle looks....odd...but i'm still gonna watch it :)
Reply/Quote
Bill and Ted

Tomorrow War

Edge of Tomorrow
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bill and Ted

Tomorrow War

Edge of Tomorrow

Seen these all.  Edge of Tomorrow is just wonderful....i watched it blindly without knowing the premise and it was great.  
Reply/Quote
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Back To The Future
Tron
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Palm Springs on Hulu was surprisingly entertaining and is a time loop movie.
Reply/Quote
The Final Countdown came to my old mind, lol.
Reply/Quote
I am assuming you have seen Tenet?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 07:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I am assuming you have seen Tenet?

The first time I watched it i thought to myself "I have no idea what happened that entire movie".  

I literally watched it four or five times over the span of a week and slowly figured out the movie each time I watched it.  

Now that i understand it...great movie lol....Who doesn't like a movie where Ricky Jerret saves the world?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2022, 01:17 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: have you watched "Dark" on netflix?   its a series but all about time travel

I liked the first couple seasons, but couldn't get into the last one. Dunno why, maybe the mystery of it was gone.

Looper is a decent one. 12 Monkeys isn't bad, either. DejaVu was alright, so was Predestination.

But my favorites are probably Groundhog's Day and Army of Darkness, followed by Freejack. 
Reply/Quote
No one has mentioned the best time travel movie of them all:

[Image: 72d249d6-61b2-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_ima...1555671562]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one has mentioned the best time travel movie of them all:

[Image: 72d249d6-61b2-11e9-b745-17e2afcf325c_ima...1555671562]

Post #12
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hot Tub Time Machine

[Image: th?id=OIP.uAF3FWB1Lb1Wx0seWMkDWgHaDt&pid...=361&h=180]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote