Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Time for Nugent to go
(10-23-2016, 06:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Don't face much wind with a minimum of eight games a year in a dome... (which is exactly why he left NE for Indy).

He is also a first ballot HOFer in my book and directly responsible for the Pats first 3 championships.

Shame on us for wanting a HOF kicker on our team then, lol. My bad, he hit 43 in a row. Maybe the wind hurts Nuge, or maybe he sucks, maybe I'll never know.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:18 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: He was 87% accurate before today. That's middle of the pack:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct

Today he went 1 for 3 which brings his overall percentage down to 78%. That puts him in the bottom 3rd of NFL Kickers. That's replaceable folks. No two ways about it.

Barring an injury, the Bengals will never sniff another kicker the rest of the season.  So, everyone decide what  you want to cheer for from here going forward.  

I just want an honest (read: we abide by the result) competition in next year's camp.  So, if the 23 year old kid we bring in kicks better, then he gets the job, even if that means Nuge's family drops their season tix and I can hear their heaving sobs all the way from Centerville.    
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Shame on us for wanting a HOF kicker on our team then, lol. My bad, he hit 43 in a row. Maybe the wind hurts Nuge, or maybe he sucks, maybe I'll never know.

For the record, the record Vinatieri broke belonged to Mike Vanderjagt, the prior indoor Colts kicker...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote:
Shame on us for wanting a HOF kicker on our team then
, lol. My bad, he hit 43 in a row. Maybe the wind hurts Nuge, or maybe he sucks, maybe I'll never know.

Since there has only been one guy ever whose sole job was place kicker in the HOF (although I personally think the Andersons should be in there as well).  Sure everyone wants one, but Vinatieri has a legitimate shot at being only the 2nd EVER, so that should really illustrate that they clearly don't grow on trees.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:28 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Shame on us for wanting a HOF kicker on our team then, lol. My bad, he hit 43 in a row. Maybe the wind hurts Nuge, or maybe he sucks, maybe I'll never know.

Man, I don't know. He really isn't as bad as you point out. Could we do better? Well of course, but at what price tag? Could we do worse? Oh hell yeah. The key is to have an offense so damn good you take the kicker out of the equation. Although, a kicker is always valuable in close games.

As Andrew Brandt said (don't even know who the "F" he is): "Kickers are like lawyers; few like them until they need a good one."

That's not a shot at Fred BTW. :heart:

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Man, I don't know. He really isn't as bad as you point out. Could we do better? Well of course, but at what price tag? Could we do worse? Oh hell yeah. The key is to have an offense so damn good you take the kicker out of the equation. Although, a kicker is always valuable in close games.

As Andrew Brandt said (don't even know who the "F" he is): "Kickers are like lawyers; few like them until they need a good one."

Former Packers VP of Personnel...

EDIT: He was also an agent for awhile
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Man, I don't know. He really isn't as bad as you point out. Could we do better? Well of course, but at what price tag? Could we do worse? Oh hell yeah. The key is to have an offense so damn good you take the kicker out of the equation. Although, a kicker is always valuable in close games.

Yes, he's that bad. He just missed 2 FGs in the same game.

He's 40% from 50 yarders.

2013, rest of the league is 66%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303482504579177862083737556

If you find a more accurate stat let me know, and also let me know why 40% is acceptable. You know this dude is gonna miss in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
And I hate to say it, but Nugent missed a 40 yarder, that's damn close ot missing an XP. I hate that they moved the Xp so far back. Why force the kicker of all people to be a part of the game? Eliminate the damn kicker.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:20 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: He's well below AVERAGE from 50 and beyond, too.

What about from infinite and beyond?
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind an upgrade to Nugent, but I was adamit that the Bengals could upgrade the return game so they cut Tate and kept Erickson. Knowing Mikey Brown if we demand an upgrade hard enough for Nugent he'll bring in some guy off the street who hasn't kicked in 5 years.

Reply/Quote
after watching that horrid sunday night football game with the kickers, maybe Nugent isn't that bad...lol
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 06:44 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: He's 40% from 50 yarders.

2013, rest of the league is 66%.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303482504579177862083737556

If you find a more accurate stat let me know, and also let me know why 40% is acceptable. You know this dude is gonna miss in the playoffs.

This year the league average from over 50 is .516, but only 14 teams have hit 50% or better from that distance.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/

Last year Nuge hit .667 from 50+ which was above the league average of .650.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:18 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: after watching that horrid sunday night football game with the kickers, maybe Nugent isn't that bad...lol

There is a kicker shortage in the NFL. The Bucs used a 2nd round pick on one and he is horrible. I think it is more of an acceptance of the new reality that all teams have to hold their breath when they line up to kick anything.
Reply/Quote
Kickers should be better as they have less demands on them with the kickoff rule changes in the NFL. Teams used to have to balance finding one that could do long kickoffs with accurate fg kicks.

Now they just need to be accurate with fg's.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 10:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: There is a kicker shortage in the NFL. The Bucs used a 2nd round pick on one and he is horrible. I think it is more of an acceptance of the new reality that all teams have to hold their breath when they line up to kick anything.

Yeah, that one is hard to figure.  He was straight up automatic in college.  He's got a problem going on between the ears, the talent is there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Lol Poor Nugent he's the village punching bag as soon as he misses his first kick of the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Nuge hit .667 from 50+ which was above the league average of .650.

This is misleading as he only attempted 3 fg's.  Marvin hardly let him attempt any because his leg is weak.   Heck, in 4 different seasons, he missed all his kicks over 50 yards.  Everyone knows he's not a good long range kicker as he's only 11 for 27 over 50+ yards lifetime. (40.7% - sad)

Nugent is a game changer for us and not in a good way.  We always have to punt from the opponents 40, which then ends up a touchback.  So basically they get the around the same spot as if we kicked off.  Except we're missing the 3 points.  Or we could go for it on 4th and 7, which sometimes pays off and sometimes does not.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 01:41 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: This is misleading as he only attempted 3 fg's.  Marvin hardly let him attempt any because his leg is weak.   Heck, in 4 different seasons, he missed all his kicks over 50 yards.  Everyone knows he's not a good long range kicker as he's only 11 for 27 over 50+ yards lifetime. (40.7% - sad)

Nugent is a game changer for us and not in a good way.  We always have to punt from the opponents 40, which then ends up a touchback.  So basically they get the around the same spot as if we kicked off.  Except we're missing the 3 points.  Or we could go for it on 4th and 7, which sometimes pays off and sometimes does not.

He made the longest kick in Bengals post-season history and the second longest kick in post-season history overall in 2014 with 57 yards.

He shares the team mark for longest field goal in Bengals regualr season history at 55 yards.

Imagine what he would do without that weak leg.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 01:54 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: He made the longest kick in Bengals post-season history and the second longest kick in post-season history overall in 2014 with 57 yards.

He shares the team mark for longest field goal in Bengals regualr season history at 55 yards.

Imagine what he would do without that weak leg.

Big deal.  ML still doesn't trot him out there for many 50+ yard FG's for some reason or another.  Could be his really low % from those distances.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Nugent is Exhibit A why we need a new coaching staff.

Current staff and I assume Mike put loyalty ( which I agree is an excellent quality) way ahead of performance.

There is no way Nugent- with his poor kickoffs and shaky kicks - would not have been replaced by any other team.

Just like Ray M would have been replaced.

Bodine replaced.

Paul Alexander replaced.

If Bill B was our head coach, would we still have Bodine, Nugent and Ray M? I don't need to answer that question.

How many more games do we need to watch to know that Alexander's players and system are awful in run blocking and pass pro against 3-4 defenses  ( Pittsburg and Baltimore) with big NTs who overwhelm Bodine and the guy before him???
Reply/Quote