Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Time for Nugent to go
(10-27-2016, 05:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not available.

He is on the commissioner exempt list.

I was kidding honey boo
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:37 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I just don't see the same greatness in the Nuge that you do Fred.  

Here is the problem I have with many posters around here.

They claim "player X" is the worst in the league, does not deserve to be on an NFL roster, and can be replaced by any randon free agent on the street.

I respond that Player X is not that great, but is not the worst in the league and can not be easily replaced by any random free agent off the street.

Then I get accused of calling that player "great".

Why can't these raging extremists read what I actually say and respond to that instead of accusing me of calling every single player/coach "great".  
Reply/Quote
Come one children, stop your bickering. Everyone knows Nugent stays!
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry all, but it was my fault Nuge missed 2 field goals last Sunday. I was at the game with my son and we were watching pregame warmups and Nuge missed several because he hooked them. I told my son,"watch, in the game he will push them right!" So, I obviously jinxed the crap out of him. My bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 05:05 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Enough excuses. He's a huge liability (a la Brad St. Louis). Anybody at this point is a huge upgrade. Time for his defenders to take off their scarlet and gray glasses and realize he's done

Looks like we will have to draft a Kicker next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2016, 09:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year Nuge hit .667 from 50+ which was above the league average of .650.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't these raging extremists read what I actually say and respond to that instead of accusing me of calling every single player/coach "great".

I just pointed out that your first post was misleading and that Nugent was nowhere close to being average from over 50 yards lifetime.   Why would you post this stat unless you were trying to persuade the other readers that he was a good kicker from long distance?  Unless of course you didn't know how bad he really was?  That's on you though either way.

This thread is titled "Time for Nugent to go".  Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday either through the draft or by bringing other guys in.  I've never been called a "raging extremist" though.  I told my wife and she laughed.  Good one. Wink
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 06:08 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I just pointed out that your first post was misleading and that Nugent was nowhere close to being average from over 50 yards lifetime.   Why would you post this stat unless you were trying to persuade the other readers that he was a good kicker from long distance?  Unless of course you didn't know how bad he really was?  That's on you though either way.

This thread is titled "Time for Nugent to go".  Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but someday either through the draft or by bringing other guys in.  I've never been called a "raging extremist" though.  I told my wife and she laughed.  Good one. Wink

Because it's Fred. He loves to stir stuff up.. Whether he's right or wrong, or if he actually believes what he's arguing or not, is irrelevant. He gets his jolly's by starting and continuing arguments. Don't let him get under your skin. For years, I've been trying to figure out if Fred is sincere, a genius, delusional... Or the biggest troll in message board history. In any case, it's best not to feed the Fred.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the problem I have with many posters around here.

They claim "player X" is the worst in the league, does not deserve to be on an NFL roster, and can be replaced by any randon free agent on the street.

I respond that Player X is not that great, but is not the worst in the league and can not be easily replaced by any random free agent off the street.

Then I get accused of calling that player "great".

Where I have an issue is it takes years at some positions to find a replacement for a mediocre(not awful mind you)player.

In some areas that has not even been upgraded one bit.

So no...  no instantaneous replacement of weakness or blase play.

How about improving that player over time?

Don't fans/posters have a right to voice opinions about their frustrations about such things?

That's where you get flack.

You act as if things are all in peoples heads and not reality.  Now who is the extremist?

You'd rather call them names or even look down on them than accept that people do not see things your way.

On more than one occasion you have went as far to say most people on here are "burger flippers".

Get over yourself Fred.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
There will probably be 5,000 people in the stands Sunday who could walk out on the pitch and do what Nugent does.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 08:31 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: On more than one occasion you have went as far to say most people on here are "burger flippers".

Get over yourself Fred.

The only time I use that comment is when some yahoo is making some stupid claim like "high school coaches are better than our coaches" or "my wife can predict every play we are going to run".

Don't lie.  You have seen those type of posts.  And people who say something that stupid deserve to be insulted.
Reply/Quote
I still never see the conversation about the guy taking the snap, Huber. I'm pretty sure Nugent doesn't hold the ball and kick it at the same time.  Point being is if Huber doesn't get the ball in the right position no kicker is going to be accurate.  I'm not blaming Huber, but to blame just the kicker is completely ignoring the other 2/3rds of the process, snapper, holder and kicker. There's 3 guys involved and only one gets ALL of the blame . That's like blaming Andy for every single dropped pass.
Sure , you can make the claim that just anyone can do all 3 parts and if this is true why aren't all of those making such claims playing in the NFL right now ?  Oh,I forgot that Burger King pays more than the NFL ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
AHEM! Well???
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 02:44 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: AHEM! Well???

He's too productive to be replaced by someone out the street.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
Past time......
Reply/Quote
Both kickers were bad but Nugent missing a routine XP changed the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 02:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Both kickers were bad but Nugent missing a routine XP changed the game.

So neither Daltons turnovers mattered?  Nervous
Reply/Quote
[Image: Mike-Nugent-field-goal-miss.png]

I think I proved my point.  I know there has to be a better option out there somewhere regardless of some people here believe. 

Let's bring in some competition and get serious about things we can get fixed or at least try.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 02:51 PM)Fresno B Wrote: So neither Daltons turnovers mattered?  Nervous

I made the mistake of watching a few games from '11 this week to see the difference in him from then to now.

He decided to go all retro today...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Fire M. Nugent.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2016, 10:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't watch much football do you?

Last year there were only 160 FG attempts of 50 yards or longer in 256 games.  That is 0.3 attempts per team per game.

I know just as much math as you, but the big difference is that I know enough about football to realize that no team in the league attempts a 50+ yard FG everytime they get in range.

So here is some more math (plus reality) for you.  160 FG attempts is exactly 5 per team.   62% for a full season would produce 9.3 points over 16 games.  41% would produce 6.2 points.  So the difference between Nugent and an average NFL kicker is 0.2 points per game.

What a "game changer"!  One full point every 5 games.  How could the Bengals ever overcome such a huge deficit?!?!?!?

It has nothing to do with spreading the 50+ field goals over 16 games. Its about needing a clutch kick in pressure situations to win the game.

Maybe once or twice a year we'll be facing a situation where were driving the down the field with less than a minute to go and no timeouts and were on like the 36 yard line. Its 4th and 7.We're down by 2 points. The chances for converting the fourth down is about 40%. It's about a 53 yard field goal. The chances for nugent to make that field goal is about 30%. We're forced to go for it.

Now we still have to kick a shorter field goal after we convert the fourth down . That field goal would be about 40 yards with a chance of conversion of about 60%. That means by going for it our chance for success is 40% x 60% which is 24%.

So were forced into two bad situations both with bad chances of success. Convert fourth and go for FG from about 40 yards out with 24% of chance of success. Try nugents weak leg from over 50 with a 30% chance of success.

If it were a good kicker from over 50 the chances could be as high as 70%.

It could mean the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Your argument to spread the field goals made over 16 is so utterly stupid its not worth commenting.

Let me compare it to someone taking a punch to the face. You would laugh at them and say why did that punch hurt. If you count the amount of seconds in a  week its 24 x 60 x 60 x 7. That's 604800.

If the punch was 500 newtons of force that means each second has .001 newtons. That means the person got hit with .001 newtons of force every second for  a week. That's an absurd comment because a force applied quickly is obviously going to hurt a lot more than if its spread out.

Likewise a field goal missed in a crucial situation is more impactful than calculating it over a 16 game schedule. What about that do you not understand.

If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote