Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time to move on from Frank Pollack
As we watched what should have been a completely dominating win that should have been put away in the first half not get sealed until much later in the game, largely in part of the OL's inability to pick up stunts and blitzes or gain consistent movement in the running game. We can single out individual players for their particular issues, but the one constant that has been there and supposed to be teaching communication and have that group working together as a unit is OL coach Frank Pollack.

Those 3 first half sacks, all on 3rd downs were drive killers, drives that likely could have ended in scores putting the game out of reach before the half. Down inside the 5, not being able to move a defensive front that was beaten up pretty good by the 49ers just the week before off of the ball is simply unacceptable.

As fans it's frustrating to watch, all we can do is come on here and grumble about it. So with that in mind, if the Bengals elect to make a change at the OL coaching position, who would you like to see them target for the job?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Looked like Volson and OB have never seen a stunt before. I have a hard time believing these were consistent missed assignments, rather likely more lack of preparation.

After the Jim Turner debacle I was all about Pollack. But now think we need someone else. Too much talent on that line to be that bad in the first half of that game. Plus, OL don't develop under Pollack, while others who come from other places seem to regress.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:06 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Looked like Volson and OB have never seen a stunt before.  I have a hard time believing these were consistent missed assignments, rather likely more lack of preparation.

After the Jim Turner debacle I was all about Pollack.  But now think we need someone else.  Too much talent on that line to be that bad in the first half of that game.  Plus, OL don't develop under Pollack, while others who come from other places seem to regress.

dont say anything bad about Volson to Sunset

he still has me quoted on his signature because I called him a "meh" player. Turns out I gave Volson too much praise

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Let’s give credit where it’s due: Pass protection was marginally better yesterday. Joe Burrow’s increased mobility has something to do with this, of course. However, run blocking is beyond terrible. There are no seams for Joe Mixon to hit. He didn’t have many long runs yesterday but those he had were outside the tackles. One must run north and south to play well in this league and I submit the goal line failure to punch it in as evidence.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   So with that in mind, if the Bengals elect to make a change at the OL coaching position, who would you like to see them target for the job?

I don't know how much money Pollack makes.  Is there a list for NFL coaches with salaries?   Here's what the top college coaches make in 2023.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-highest-paid-offensive-line-coaches-in-college-football-2023-edition
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:06 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Looked like Volson and OB have never seen a stunt before.  I have a hard time believing these were consistent missed assignments, rather likely more lack of preparation.

After the Jim Turner debacle I was all about Pollack.  But now think we need someone else.  Too much talent on that line to be that bad in the first half of that game.  Plus, OL don't develop under Pollack, while others who come from other places seem to regress.

I could argue Jim Turner was more successful than Frank Pollack has been. Turner was a big part of them completely redesigning the rush offense in the second half of 2019.

Really other than that half year in 2019 the rush offense has been crap. How about we look at more than just the OL Coach and maybe say hey we need someone in here than can design a rushing attack.

I mentioned in the Draft Section I was a fan of Sherrone Moore Michigan OC/OL Coach.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As we watched what should have been a completely dominating win that should have been put away in the first half not get sealed until much later in the game, largely in part of the OL's inability to pick up stunts and blitzes or gain consistent movement in the running game.  We can single out individual players for their particular issues, but the one constant that has been there and supposed to be teaching communication and have that group working together as a unit is OL coach Frank Pollack.

Those 3 first half sacks, all on 3rd downs were drive killers, drives that likely could have ended in scores putting the game out of reach before the half.  Down inside the 5, not being able to move a defensive front that was beaten up pretty good by the 49ers just the week before off of the ball is simply unacceptable.  

As fans it's frustrating to watch, all we can do is come on here and grumble about it.  So with that in mind, if the Bengals elect to make a change at the OL coaching position, who would you like to see them target for the job?

Absolutely agree. Not to be a homer, but Big Willie would be an interesting choice to replace him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:28 AM)Synric Wrote: I could argue Jim Turner was more successful than Frank Pollack has been. Turner was a big part of them completely redesigning the rush offense in the second half of 2019.

Really other than that half year in 2019 the rush offense has been crap. How about we look at more than just the OL Coach and maybe say hey we need someone in here than can design a rushing attack.

I mentioned in the Draft Section I was a fan of Sherrone Moore Michigan OC/OL Coach.

Isn't Pollack also the run game coordinator?

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Isn't Pollack also the run game coordinator?

I would say the offense scheme is a 3 headed monster between Zac Brian and Frank. The way the offense was disjointed starting last year and the very little creativity to the rush offense makes me lean toward Callahan and Taylor being the major culprits.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:28 AM)Synric Wrote: I could argue Jim Turner was more successful than Frank Pollack has been. Turner was a big part of them completely redesigning the rush offense in the second half of 2019.

Many good points here. Turner is a great X’s and O’s OL coach but struggles mightily in everything else. Sherrone Moore is a great coach. Pollack to me is not a great evaluator or designer like you said. The rushing offense needs a total revamp. It’s not just about eating glass.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:39 AM)Synric Wrote: I would say the offense scheme is a 3 headed monster between Zac Brian and Frank. The way the offense was disjointed starting last year and the very little creativity to the rush offense makes me lean toward Callahan and Taylor being the major culprits.

Fair enough. I liked the balance yesterday. Even though it wasn't efficient, they still fed Mix to keep it honest. Of course, playing with a lead finally allowed more of that.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't know how much money Pollack makes.  Is there a list for NFL coaches with salaries?   Here's what the top college coaches make in 2023.

https://footballscoop.com/news/the-highest-paid-offensive-line-coaches-in-college-football-2023-edition

That is an interesting question, I saw that Zac Taylor makes $4.5M and is the 3rd lowest paid NFL HC.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Many good points here. Turner is a great X’s and O’s OL coach but struggles mightily in everything else. Sherrone Moore is a great coach. Pollack to me is not a great evaluator or designer like you said. The rushing offense needs a total revamp. It’s not just about eating glass.

For being "glass eaters," they don't seem to eat much glass.

This is not a powerful, bully OL like I would expect from a term such as glass eater.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Many good points here. Turner is a great X’s and O’s OL coach but struggles mightily in everything else. Sherrone Moore is a great coach. Pollack to me is not a great evaluator or designer like you said. The rushing offense needs a total revamp. It’s not just about eating glass.

Whatever his strengths and weaknesses are, it's clear that he's not getting the players to understand what they are supposed to be doing.  Blown assignments, missed blitz pickups, lack of orchestrated execution on running plays.  Every week they look like 5 guys who just met each other for the first time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Stunts have been an issue for like 4 weeks now. The fact that it isn't fixed and it's stil happening is a refelction on coachin (Pollack).

Honestly, something is going to have to be done about this OL after this season. It just isn't good enough. Volson and Karras have played pretty poorly this year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:09 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: dont say anything bad about Volson to Sunset

he still has me quoted on his signature because I called him a "meh" player. Turns out I gave Volson too much praise

Frank, how can you like Volson? The guy is terrible. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How can you like Volson? The guy is terrible. 

He's NOT terrible, dammit!  He's a victim of poor coaching. RantLOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have a suggestion for a future offensive line coach. How much longer do you think Robert “Rub and Tug” Kraft will tolerate Bill Belichick as head coach?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 08:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As we watched what should have been a completely dominating win that should have been put away in the first half not get sealed until much later in the game, largely in part of the OL's inability to pick up stunts and blitzes or gain consistent movement in the running game.  We can single out individual players for their particular issues, but the one constant that has been there and supposed to be teaching communication and have that group working together as a unit is OL coach Frank Pollack.

Those 3 first half sacks, all on 3rd downs were drive killers, drives that likely could have ended in scores putting the game out of reach before the half.  Down inside the 5, not being able to move a defensive front that was beaten up pretty good by the 49ers just the week before off of the ball is simply unacceptable.  

As fans it's frustrating to watch, all we can do is come on here and grumble about it.  So with that in mind, if the Bengals elect to make a change at the OL coaching position, who would you like to see them target for the job?

Yeah. And Arizona doesn't have a good pass rush.

The Rams and Titans have a great interior pass rush and they can totally disrupt our offense with it.

I kind of wonder how much the offensive woes were Burrow's calf and how much was interior pressure getting there quick and messing with his reads. At any rate, it's not 100% one or the other.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. And Arizona doesn't have a good pass rush.

The Rams and Titans have a great interior pass rush and they can totally disrupt our offense with it.

I kind of wonder how much the offensive woes were Burrow's calf and how much was interior pressure getting there quick and messing with his reads. At any rate, it's not 100% one or the other.

Yeah, it felt good not having to face a freaking elite interior pass rusher for the first time this year. 
Reply/Quote