Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many white people in top national security positions
(05-15-2016, 06:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im curious, but when it comes to national security, shouldn't we have the most qualified people regardless of race and/or ethnicity? People like her can cause more bad than good with statements like this concerning our security, because she basically is saying we need more minorities in charge regardless of qualifications. And in a roundabout way, she basically is saying there are just too many white people. If it was up to some, there would probably be limits on number of white children allowed to be born so minorities can catch up.

I actually have no problem with the message; I just think it may be the wrong crowd. This should be a speech for a High School graduation.  I do agree with the best qualified slant.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-15-2016, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tie subsidies to your child's performance in school. Your kid can't pass the basic proficiency exam, take away aid.  Your child excels; increase aid. For those that do not receive benefits tie it to taxes.

I answer questions.

Kids get all A's .... Pay zero federal income tax.   
(05-15-2016, 06:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Tie subsidies to your child's performance in school. Your kid can't pass the basic proficiency exam, take away aid.  Your child excels; increase aid. For those that do not receive benefits tie it to taxes.

I answer questions.

That's not all bad... Provided there's the same basic tools made available. Which brings us back to schools performing worse at providing a basic education.
(05-15-2016, 08:29 PM)Benton Wrote: That's not all bad... Provided there's the same basic tools made available. Which brings us back to schools performing worse at providing a basic education.

Yeah.  The dirty little secret is that none of that really matters.  Stupid kids with dumb and disinterested parents generally perform poorly no matter how many resources you throw at it.

If you want "equal opportunity through education" then you're going to have to create a mating lottery.   Unfortunately that doesn't really jive with the "woman's body is her own" crowd.
--------------------------------------------------------

(05-16-2016, 02:07 AM)YJustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah.  The dirty little secret is that none of that really matters.  Stupid kids with dumb and disinterested parents generally perform poorly no matter how many resources you throw at it.

If you want "equal opportunity through education" then you're going to have to create a mating lottery.   Unfortunately that doesn't really jive with the "woman's body is her own" crowd.

They could start promoting two parent homes who are married. 

When a father is present in the home it makes all the difference.   

(05-16-2016, 02:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah.  The dirty little secret is that none of that really matters.  Stupid kids with dumb and disinterested parents generally perform poorly no matter how many resources you throw at it.

Totally agree that some kids are smarter than others, and some parents are more involved than others.

100% correct.

But sometimes even the dumber ones have an ability.  The problem is we seem to care more about home much it costs to educate a child now than what the results may be.  Giving even the dumbest kid an opportunity to learn might change their life for the better.

But unfortunately the almighty dollar is our god and our goal now in this country.  Above all else.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-16-2016, 04:53 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They could start promoting two parent homes who are married. 

When a father is present in the home it makes all the difference.   

Maybe more arranged marriages or mail order brides?  Or just go the Kirk Cameron method of having the wife shut up and let the husband run things no matter how bad it gets?
(05-16-2016, 02:07 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah.  The dirty little secret is that none of that really matters.  Stupid kids with dumb and disinterested parents generally perform poorly no matter how many resources you throw at it.

Agreed. I think where we differ is, I don't think we should throw money at it. I think the system should be identifying those kids and finding something they are good at. Our education system does a pretty bad job of that, and that's part of what I was referring to earlier about math and sciences. If a kid has that inclination, put them on that track and give them the tools. If the kid is more on a pushing broom track, that's fine, too, put them on that track and give them a broom.

That's going to take a much different approach than we currently have.
(05-16-2016, 10:29 AM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. I think where we differ is, I don't think we should throw money at it. I think the system should be identifying those kids and finding something they are good at. Our education system does a pretty bad job of that, and that's part of what I was referring to earlier about math and sciences. If a kid has that inclination, put them on that track and give them the tools. If the kid is more on a pushing broom track, that's fine, too, put them on that track and give them a broom.

That's going to take a much different approach than we currently have.

Our school district has a good career technical center attached to the high school.  My daughter will graduate this year and has all her hours and already passed her test to be a cosmetologist.

Saved about $18,000 in post high school education.

And she probably could have done anything after high school but she was exposed to this and loves it.

My son will be a freshman and wants to go to college just not sure for what yet.  After a tour of the CTC he is thinking about going up there next year for electrical engineering.

Again, he's smart enough to go in various fields if he wants.  But I'll always encourage someone to get a trade if they can.
(05-16-2016, 11:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: Our school district has a good career technical center attached to the high school.  My daughter will graduate this year and has all her hours and already passed her test to be a cosmetologist.

Saved about $18,000 in post high school education.

And she probably could have done anything after high school but she was exposed to this and loves it.

My son will be a freshman and wants to go to college just not sure for what yet.  After a tour of the CTC he is thinking about going up there next year for electrical engineering.

Again, he's smart enough to go in various fields if he wants.  But I'll always encourage someone to get a trade if they can.

That's what we need more of.

Where I went to school has some awesome alternative education stuff. They've started engineering programs and bio sciences, but when I went there that stuff was mostly limited. They did (and still do have) lots of work ready programs. You could get two different welding certificates. I knew guys who got out of high school and started making a decent living. You could also get a CNA certificate (or license or whatever) and some other medical stuff. My wife knocked out some of her nursing classes before she ever left high school.

Not every kid is going to be a doctor. But not every kid has to be a janitor just because he went to a crappy school.
(05-16-2016, 09:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe more arranged marriages or mail order brides?  Or just go the Kirk Cameron method of having the wife shut up and let the husband run things no matter how bad it gets?

Yeah cause that's the same as having both parents.   

You are an odd man sometimes.    
(05-16-2016, 11:31 AM)Benton Wrote: That's what we need more of.

Where I went to school has some awesome alternative education stuff. They've started engineering programs and bio sciences, but when I went there that stuff was mostly limited. They did (and still do have) lots of work ready programs. You could get two different welding certificates. I knew guys who got out of high school and started making a decent living. You could also get a CNA certificate (or license or whatever) and some other medical stuff. My wife knocked out some of her nursing classes before she ever left high school.

Not every kid is going to be a doctor. But not every kid has to be a janitor just because he went to a crappy school.

JVS was always there but got buried in districts in favour of college prep because supposedly these blue collar jobs were going away.    
(05-16-2016, 12:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah cause that's the same as having both parents.   

You are an odd man sometimes.    

So do you have a suggestion for forcing parents to stay married or get married in the first place?

Do the parents have to BE married?  Can they have better results if they just live together too?

What about if they have both parents but they don't live together at all?
(05-16-2016, 12:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: So do you have a suggestion for forcing parents to stay married or get married in the first place?

Do the parents have to BE married?  Can they have better results if they just live together too?

What about if they have both parents but they don't live together at all?

Not having both parents in the home makes a difference.   If part time parenting worked then all these single parent homes would be great.      

I realize that there are some single parents here who are doing the best they can, and some who grew up in single parent homes and they loved their life.    But the favs remain that when both parents are home and together it makes a world of difference. 
(05-16-2016, 12:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not having both parents in the home makes a difference.   If part time parenting worked then all these single parent homes would be great.      

I realize that there are some single parents here who are doing the best they can, and some who grew up in single parent homes and they loved their life.    But the favs remain that when both parents are home and together it makes a world of difference. 

So, short of outlawing divorce, how do you propose we change things?
(05-16-2016, 09:03 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe more arranged marriages or mail order brides?  Or just go the Kirk Cameron method of having the wife shut up and let the husband run things no matter how bad it gets?

We need to go back to the Lords of the realm afforded the right to sleep with the maidens.
A superior seed needs spread to raise the quality of the gene pool.
Ninja
(05-16-2016, 12:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: So, short of outlawing divorce, how do you propose we change things?

How about educating on the benefits of a two parent home.   Stop glorifying a single parent home.    

For starters 

Kids need a mom and a dad everyday.   Without it they miss out on so much.  
(05-16-2016, 01:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How about educating on the benefits of a two parent home.   Stop glorifying a single parent home.    

For starters 

Kids need a mom and a dad everyday.   Without it they miss out on so much.  

Oh I know I see billboards all the time saying how wonderful it is to have one parent.

We should stop that.
(05-16-2016, 01:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh I know I see billboards all the time saying how wonderful it is to have one parent.

We should stop that.

Yeah cause a billboard is the only way to promote something 

How many television shows show single parent homes?   Compare that to years past.     
(05-16-2016, 01:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah cause a billboard is the only way to promote something 

How many television shows show single parent homes?   Compare that to years past.     

Wait, you mean something that people used to get shamed for is now more acceptable and popular media reflects that?

I suppose we could go back to shipping girls away when they get pregnant before they are married...or shotgun weddings.

Those use to be pretty popular in years past.