Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many white people in top national security positions
(05-14-2016, 11:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I feel like you're going in two directions here. I may just not be following.

At the start it seems like we're talking about education, but then you move on to a welfare kind of thing.

What I'm referring to is more the need to expose young people to a variety of subjects, regardless of race or income. That's more difficult to do in poorer income districts because of the way most states fund education.

You are talking about is more than basic education.   Public education is for basic education.   I think what you should be calling for is a voucher program so they can use that money at any school.   

They have those specific programs based on the schools down here but it basically kills neighborhood schools.  
(05-15-2016, 12:15 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are talking about is more than basic education.   Public education is for basic education.   I think what you should be calling for is a voucher program so they can use that money at any school.   

They have those specific programs based on the schools down here but it basically kills neighborhood schools.  
A basic education should include math. That's about as basic as you get.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-15-2016, 12:18 AM)Benton Wrote: A basic education should include math. That's about as basic as you get.

Everyone gets math.   They may not get calculus.   But they get math, geometry, algebra.  

Show me where kids don't get math? Where schools are denying basic math.
(05-15-2016, 12:18 AM)Benton Wrote: A basic education should include math. That's about as basic as you get.

What public school district doesn't teach math?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-15-2016, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What public school district doesn't teach math?

According to Benton any school that has black children.   
Let's tie education to government assistance.
You need to be a high school graduate or be working towards your GED to qualify.
Now, don't freak yet...
I know the concerns of child care...ect...
You allow Obama-phones to access educational websites to acquire that education, even if it is one class at a time.
If the education is given to the parents, it will have a positive effect on the children.
(05-15-2016, 01:38 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: According to Benton any school that has black children.   

I said poor. While that tends to include a lot of minorities, that's not the main demographic.
(05-15-2016, 01:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What public school district doesn't teach math?

Detroit, Cleveland
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

Out of Kentucky, there are a dew districts where scores aren't much better. If 9% of your students are only what the feds define as proficient, then you aren't giving them a basic education.
(05-15-2016, 11:09 AM)Benton Wrote: Detroit, Cleveland
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

Out of Kentucky, there are a dew districts where scores aren't much better. If 9% of your students are only what the feds define as proficient, then you aren't giving them a basic education.

If I'm reading your article correctly; it's kind of going against what you are suggesting; as it indicates funding is not the issue:

"Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student."

(05-15-2016, 11:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: If I'm reading your article correctly; it's kind of going against what you are suggesting; as it indicates funding is not the issue:

"Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student."
Pps doesn't mean that all the money goes directly to the teachers or supplies. It varies state to state, but pps is about 50% on the student. The other is debt service, admin, transport. Schools in more metro areas tend to have a higher pps because it costs more to live or operate there. And typically teachers in note metro kocations make more because cost of living is higher, not because they're better teachers.
(05-15-2016, 11:28 AM)Benton Wrote: Pps doesn't mean that all the money goes directly to the teachers or supplies. It varies state to state, but pps is about 50% on the student. The other is debt service, admin, transport. Schools in more metro areas tend to have a higher pps because it costs more to live or operate there. And typically teachers in note metro kocations make more because cost of living is higher, not because they're better teachers.

Oh, I thought you said something about poor school districts. So it is not a funding issue; but more so how the administrators allocate the funds?

I tend to lean more toward the family instills a sense of apathy in the child when it comes to education.

(05-14-2016, 11:58 PM)Benton Wrote: I feel like you're going in two directions here. I may just not be following.

At the start it seems like we're talking about education, but then you move on to a welfare kind of thing.

What I'm referring to is more the need to expose young people to a variety of subjects, regardless of race or income. That's more difficult to do in poorer income districts because of the way most states fund education.

I guess the point that I was trying to make is that educational value and culture go hand in hand.  I should have done a better job of illustrating no matter what you show to a child, in an educational environment, won't make any difference, as long as the environment that they are being raised in continues to tell them that school is a waste of time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-15-2016, 11:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, I thought you said something about poor school districts. So it is not a funding issue; but more so how the administrators allocate the funds?

I tend to lean more toward the family instills a sense of apathy in the child when it comes to education.

This is why the government shouldn't be trusted with education.  Zero accountability when spending our money.  

The problem with American education has always been parents and will always be parents.   If they aren't engaged then it's a hard road for the kid.   
(05-15-2016, 11:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, I thought you said something about poor school districts. So it is not a funding issue; but more so how the administrators allocate the funds?

You asked about districts that dont teach math well. I provided a quick link. That's different from what I was saying about poor districts. Just because a district receives what you see as a large sum doesn't mean it goes far there. Unless you think the cost of things in Detroit is the same as in monkey's eyebrow.
(05-15-2016, 12:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I guess the point that I was trying to make is that educational value and culture go hand in hand.  I should have done a better job of illustrating no matter what you show to a child, in an educational environment, won't make any difference, as long as the environment that they are being raised in continues to tell them that school is a waste of time.

That I agree with. At the same time, we've got to make some kind of an effort. Otherwise you end up with adults who think there's no way out.
(05-15-2016, 03:13 PM)Benton Wrote: You asked about districts that dont teach math well. I provided a quick link. That's different from what I was saying about poor districts. Just because a district receives what you see as a large sum doesn't mean it goes far there. Unless you think the cost of things in Detroit is the same as in monkey's eyebrow.

So what are you trying to say if the common theme isn't poor districts with it comes to teaching math?

The article you linked seemed to think it was a large enough sum; you should take up the costs of living with them.

I did not as for a district that doesn't teach math well; you just added that. I asked what school district doesn't teach math (notice there is no well); you provided a link to a district where kids aren't learning math to standard "despite" ample funding. Doesn't take too long for all the excuses to ring hollow.

(05-15-2016, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So what are you trying to say if the common theme isn't poor districts with it comes to teaching math?

The article you linked seemed to think it was a large enough sum; you should take up the costs of living with them.

I did not as for a district that doesn't teach math well; you just added that. I asked what school district doesn't teach math (notice there is no well); you provided a link to a district where kids aren't learning math to standard "despite" ample funding. Doesn't take too long for all the excuses to ring hollow.

Ok, so if you don't think education funding or our approach is the issue ir how to solve it, how do we?
Im curious, but when it comes to national security, shouldn't we have the most qualified people regardless of race and/or ethnicity? People like her can cause more bad than good with statements like this concerning our security, because she basically is saying we need more minorities in charge regardless of qualifications. And in a roundabout way, she basically is saying there are just too many white people. If it was up to some, there would probably be limits on number of white children allowed to be born so minorities can catch up.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-15-2016, 05:48 PM)Benton Wrote: Ok, so if you don't think education funding or our approach is the issue ir how to solve it, how do we?

Tie subsidies to your child's performance in school. Your kid can't pass the basic proficiency exam, take away aid.  Your child excels; increase aid. For those that do not receive benefits tie it to taxes.

I answer questions.

(05-15-2016, 06:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im curious, but when it comes to national security, shouldn't we have the most qualified people regardless of race and/or ethnicity? People like her can cause more bad than good with statements like this concerning our security, because she basically is saying we need more minorities in charge regardless of qualifications. And in a roundabout way, she basically is saying there are just too many white people. If it was up to some, there would probably be limits on number of white children allowed to be born so minorities can catch up.

It depends on how you measure qualifications. 

Cent comm and intelligence communities tends to be the same demographic: middle age white guys from middle to upper middle class homes who went into the military, mixed in with who tend to be older white guys from middle to upper middle class homes who went into college. Nothing makes them unqualified, but an analyst who grew up in the suburbs of Louisville or an adviser who spent most of his life in prep schools and meetings probably aren't the best at understanding what someone of a different race, from a different economic status, and in a different part of the world is thinking. 

It's not about minorities or quotas, it's about the fact that there are lots of different people out there. And sometimes the best people to figure out what those people are doing are those people.