Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tra Carson waived; Bengals sign Thomas Rawls
(09-19-2018, 11:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Why are we keeping Walton on the team? Guys doesn't do anything.

Because he is just a rookie and has a hell of a lot more potential than guys who have been in the league three years and still can't make an active roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Get over the Brian Hill love.  When we released him not a single NFL team made a waiver claim on him.  Falcons signed him to PS not their active roster.  He just got promoted because of an injury.

Also, Rawls was just in a NFL training camp, so he's obviously in shape to play if needed.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 12:22 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Is Rawls even in shape to play a full game?  We should give the Falcons a 4th round draft for B. Hill. for the brass's bad decision, pay up.

Give up a 4th rounder for a guy who was drafted in the 5th round and has accumulated 37 rushing yards in over a year in the league. Yea. That makes sense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because he is just a rookie and has a hell of a lot more potential than guys who have been in the league three years and still can't make an active roster.

That doesn't explain why Walton, who accomplished nothing in preseason, is on the active roster and not on the practice squad. It's not like some other team is going to pick him up with his pathetic stat line. Hill got picked up.

I have no problem with the Rawls' signing. I don't understand the love for a Walton though.

Am I missing something about Walton? I sure didn't see any of that potential in preseason. I mean nothing at all. Zippo. Zilch. Nada.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 05:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That doesn't explain why Walton, who accomplished nothing in preseason, is on the active roster and not on the practice squad. It's not like some other team is going to pick him up with his pathetic stat line. Hill got picked up.

I have no problem with the Rawls' signing. I don't understand the love for a Walton though.

Am I missing something about Walton? I sure didn't see any of that potential in preseason. I mean nothing at all. Zippo. Zilch. Nada.

And he was going against 2s and 3s.  Thought Hill looked the best of the group that went against backups.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 05:44 PM)3wt Wrote: And he was going against 2s and 3s.  Thought Hill looked the best of the group that went against backups.

Exactly! I don't get the love for Walton at all.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 05:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: That doesn't explain why Walton, who accomplished nothing in preseason, is on the active roster and not on the practice squad. It's not like some other team is going to pick him up with his pathetic stat line. Hill got picked up.

Yeah, he scored one goal line TD and that was about it.

Both Hill and Carson were way more impressive in every aspect.

I love Walton's story, he has went through a lot of crap in his short life but i didn't see any of that player that
was at Miami in the Preseason. Maybe he was nursing a injury or something and we didn't know about it?

(09-20-2018, 05:44 PM)3wt Wrote: And he was going against 2s and 3s.  Thought Hill looked the best of the group that went against backups.

Yes sir. This is one of the few moves i haven't liked this year. Sometimes you have to admit you made a
mistake with a draft pick. The Patriots cut 1st round OT's who aren't cutting it for heck sake.
Reply/Quote

Hill has been in the NFL for three years and still could not make an active roster.  He got signed to Atlanta's practice squad.

Believe it or not NFL coaches and scouts can see potential in players that you can't.  Walton is a rookie with room to improve.  Hill is not going to suddenly get better after three years.

The Bengals coaches have no reason to keep Walton if Hill was the better player.  So clearly when looking at Walton they see potential for him to be better than Hill.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Sometimes you have to admit you made a mistake with a draft pick. The Patriots cut 1st round OT's who aren't cutting it for heck sake.

The Patriots NEVER cut a first round pick after one preseason.

Hill is not a rookie who is still learning the game.  He has been in the league three years, and he still was not good enough to make a active roster.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Patriots NEVER cut a first round pick after one preseason.

Hill is not a rookie who is still learning the game.  He has been in the league three years, and he still was not good enough to make a active roster.

Walton is not a 1st round pick, he is a 4th round pick and was by far our worst RB in Preseason.

Think the Pats cut their 1st round OT after a couple seasons who was a first round pick a few years back.

Sure, Hill is not a rookie but Hill was still much better than Walton and even better than Carson this Preseason IMO.

Brian Hill ran better this Preseason than all our RB's besides maybe Gio.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hill has been in the NFL for three years and still could not make an active roster.  He got signed to Atlanta's practice squad.

Believe it or not NFL coaches and scouts can see potential in players that you can't.  Walton is a rookie with room to improve.  Hill is not going to suddenly get better after three years.

The Bengals coaches have no reason to keep Walton if Hill was the better player.  So clearly when looking at Walton they see potential for him to be better than Hill.

Considering that Hill is on an active roster I would say that he has something.

Players play for a roster spot in preseason and, generally speaking, their production during preseason should determine the roster spot. In Walton's case, he didn't get it done at all while Hill did. There's really no arguing that point since the Hill clearly had the best RB stats and this got him invited to Atlanta.

Walton's numbers were bad enough that the Bengals could have stashed him on the practice squad with little chance of another team claiming him. He could then work on reaching his potential without costing the team a roster spot.

That's my point. Right now, this very day, Hill offers a team more than Walton. So does Carson for that matter.

Just maybe no one in the organization wants to admit the 4th round error. It's not like this organization hasn't kept a bad player just because of his draft position before. Cough, Ogbuehi, cough, cough.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Brian Hill ran better this Preseason than all our RB's besides maybe Gio.

And according to every NFL team he was not good enough for a spot on an active roster.  He just was not that good.

You know what the top 5 NFL preseason rushers (Chris Warren, Ryan Nall, John Kelly, Mike Boone, Gus Edwards) have in common?  None of them have a single carry in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 06:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, he scored one goal line TD and that was about it.

Both Hill and Carson were way more impressive in every aspect.

I love Walton's story, he has went through a lot of crap in his short life but i didn't see any of that player that
was at Miami in the Preseason. Maybe he was nursing a injury or something and we didn't know about it?

Yes sir. This is one of the few moves i haven't liked this year. Sometimes you have to admit you made a
mistake with a draft pick. The Patriots cut 1st round OT's who aren't cutting it for heck sake.

Yep, Hill and Carson were both way more impressive. Now we've gotten rid of both of them.

I don't recall an injury announced.

As for his story, that is irrelevant to his football play and if he should or should not make the roster.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Players play for a roster spot in preseason and, generally speaking, their production during preseason should determine the roster spot. In Walton's case, he didn't get it done at all while Hill did. There's really no arguing that point since the Hill clearly had the best RB stats and this got him invited to Atlanta.

There clearly is an argument because Walton was on an active roster out of training camp and Hill was not.  Walton got it done and Hill did not.

NFL talent evaluators don't give a crap about preseason stats.  None of the best preseason rushers have even touched the ball this season.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 08:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There clearly is an argument because Walton was on an active roster out of training camp and Hill was not.  Walton got it done and Hill did not.

NFL talent evaluators don't give a crap about preseason stats.  None of the best preseason rushers have even touched the ball this season.

Wow! Well, if what you say is true, there is no need for preseason at all.

I stand by my sig below on how Mikey Brown makes decisions.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 07:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Just maybe no one in the organization wants to admit the 4th round error. It's not like this organization hasn't kept a bad player just because of his draft position before. Cough, Ogbuehi, cough, cough.

It is one thing to call the Bengals stupid, but EVERY SINGLE NFL TEAM said Hill was not good enough to make an opening day roster.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is one thing to call the Bengals stupid, but EVERY SINGLE NFL TEAM said Hill was not good enough to make an opening day roster.

Can you say WEAK argument?

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 08:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Wow! Well, if what you say is true, there is no need for preseason at all.

Not true.  They evaluate players based on a lot more than just the stats.  Almost every preseason veteran scrubs will have better stats than rookies with much more potential.  But NFL talent scouts can see the potential that you can't.  

I don't know why people don't get this.  If I claimed that college players should be drafted based on just their stats people would say I was crazy and start talking about all the other factors talent evaluators look at other than just stats.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 08:10 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Can you say WEAK argument?

No.  

Please explain why your opinion is superior to every NFL team.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2018, 08:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not true.  They evaluate players based on a lot more than just the stats.  Almost every preseason veteran scrubs will have better stats than rookies with much more potential.  But NFL talent scouts can see the potential that you can't.  

I don't know why people don't get this.  If I claimed that college players should be drafted based on just their stats people would say I was crazy and start talking about all the other factors talent evaluators look at other than just stats.

Walton could have been stashed on the practice squad. I stand by my evaluation of the situation.

Reply/Quote