Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Training Camp Chat/News/Updates
Max Scharping has been working out at center as well as guard and Trey Hill working at guard as well as center. Building the skill sets of the back up interior linemen

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Chase made Jalen Ramsey look bad so Im not down too much on our young guys if they struggle a little too.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 04:34 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I mentioned the safeties when I bumped a past thread showing my concern for losing Bates & Bell, but we haven't heard diddly shit from Myles Murphy either.

https://theathletic.com/4740916/2023/08/02/bengals-training-camp-trends/?source=emp_shared_article

Quote:All eyes are on the new safety combination of Dax Hill and Nick Scott. Through one week the results have been, well, fine. That’s actually a relief considering this marks the first week of playing together in training camp.

Neither has been all over the field making play after play, but there also hasn’t been a collection of busts. Most of the process involves going through minor teaching points of the nuances of the system and communication with each other, something Anarumo said he thinks has gone well. Specifically, with the veteran presence of Scott serving as a calming influence for the 22-year-old Hill.

Quote:That includes first-round pick Myles Murphy. His impact has not been as notable and he’s spent most of his time working with the second team — and even spending some time as the lead blocker on kickoff return.

All part of the process for a rookie in his first NFL camp.
“The first two days it was swimming a little bit, just out there,” Murphy said. “Now it’s slowing down a little bit and I’m seeing things.”

Reply/Quote
Awesome way for our DB’s to learn isnt it. Day to day against the best.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 10:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My friend also said the rookie punter has been absolute garbage the past two days he was down there. At this point he wouldn't be shocked if Christman won the job.

Everyone knew Robbins didnt have the strongest leg.  He is more of a finesse punter that wont punt it in the endzone and have a touch back.  Its nice to be able to down the ball inside the 20 but if you dont have a strong leg, it can cause problems.   Personally, I would rather have a punter that is able to boom the ball and change the field position and get you out of a jam even if it meant he had a few more touchbacks.  This is the guy I wanted the Bengals to draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYeEtnxALe4

but I do hope Robbins works out and contributes since he is the guy we picked instead.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 01:37 PM)pally Wrote: By all media reports, Turner is having the best camp of any of the rookies.  Ivey is doing well but he is more often playing against the send level receivers

Yeah, after Turner was completely stuck on the Receivers, they were bound to take offense to it and play better.

Also, just because Robbins had a day or two where he was bad Punting doesn't mean Chrisman has a shot to beat him who is in the
hospital and was a big reason we lost late in the AFC Championship game to the Chiefs. Also a guy saying that Myles Murphy has a 
low IQ is pretty laughable to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 06:56 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Everyone knew Robbins didnt have the strongest leg.  He is more of a finesse punter that wont punt it in the endzone and have a touch back.  Its nice to be able to down the ball inside the 20 but if you dont have a strong leg, it can cause problems.   Personally, I would rather have a punter that is able to boom the ball and change the field position and get you out of a jam even if it meant he had a few more touchbacks.  This is the guy I wanted the Bengals to draft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYeEtnxALe4

but I do hope Robbins works out and contributes since he is the guy we picked instead.

Turk has already been released by the Dolphins after just a week in camp.  Apparently, while he can punt it for a distance, his hang time sucks and he lacks the finesse needed for a professional punter.  Too many punts come from midfield for a punter not to have touch on the ball

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 07:33 PM)pally Wrote: Turk has already been released by the Dolphins after just a week in camp.  Apparently, while he can punt it for a distance, his hang time sucks and he lacks the finesse needed for a professional punter.  Too many punts come from midfield for a punter not to have touch on the ball

Yep and hang time is Robbins strength and it is a valuable strength to have in a Punter.

A big leg don't mean crap if he Punts it right to the Returner and it goes for a big gain like we saw in the AFCC.
Reply/Quote
I'm not too worried about him not having a "big leg". With the offense we have I doubt that we're going to need very many huge punts. I don't think he's got that bad of a leg anyway. I really think he's going to help this team a lot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
matt ariza is out there. Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 07:33 PM)pally Wrote: Turk has already been released by the Dolphins after just a week in camp.  Apparently, while he can punt it for a distance, his hang time sucks and he lacks the finesse needed for a professional punter.  Too many punts come from midfield for a punter not to have touch on the ball

Wow. Good to get this report. Released after just a week in camp? So much for those advocating Turk be drafted on the third day of the draft. I like the punter we got. And Chrisman was fine up until he wasn't-- which was on the most high profile punt of the season. He had a few games in which he was quite good, but that AFCCC punt was a big factor in the Bengals not being in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 09:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He also had these notes from yesterday: 

"Went to practice today. A little disappointed by the rookie class. Murphy looks the part but he has some Ben Martin in him. Low football IQ and doesn't shed blocks well. Reaction just a hare slow. Dj turner getting beat again, ivey is outplaying him. Here's a hot take: ossai gets more sacks then Hendrickson this year. Also, chase brown is such a natural pass catcher. And, irv smith is better than hurst he is a specimen. Jaxson Carman got whooped today, up and in move destroyed him twice. Jonah Williams got walked back into the QB and looked bad too. Sample is a good depth piece to have."

These guys say DJ Turner is killing it.  They do mention him getting beat a couple times but these guys are pretty hyped on Turner.

-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

I know Turk has been released, that's why I brought the discussion up.  Turk doesnt have any problem with hang time.  His biggest issue is he needs to work on his touch.  I would take a kicker that has more touch backs but can flip the field vs a guy that cant flip the field but will keep the ball out of the endzone.   I have seen plenty of defensive dominated games where the offense is stuck on their side of the field because the punter doesnt have a big enough leg to flip the field for the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 11:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I know Turk has been released, that's why I brought the discussion up.  Turk doesnt have any problem with hang time.  His biggest issue is he needs to work on his touch.  I would take a kicker that has more touch backs but can flip the field vs a guy that cant flip the field but will keep the ball out of the endzone.   I have seen plenty of defensive dominated games where the offense is stuck on their side of the field because the punter doesnt have a big enough leg to flip the field for the team.

We're a team that hypothetically lost the AFCCG because our P botched a directional kick and allowed a big return.  Big legs can sometimes flip the field, but they also tend to outkick their coverage and give up big returns.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2023, 11:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I know Turk has been released, that's why I brought the discussion up.  Turk doesnt have any problem with hang time.  His biggest issue is he needs to work on his touch.  I would take a kicker that has more touch backs but can flip the field vs a guy that cant flip the field but will keep the ball out of the endzone.   I have seen plenty of defensive dominated games where the offense is stuck on their side of the field because the punter doesnt have a big enough leg to flip the field for the team.

hang time issues was one of the concerns specifically mentioned in discussions about his release

Reply/Quote
Training camp is the time to practice, try new things, and especially the time to make mistakes. Players looking either good or bad at this point should be taken with a grain of salt.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
D.J. Ivey has been nicknamed "Poison" by Hilton and others for his sticky coverage downfield.

Low key disappointed that no one on this board came up with it first.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 11:07 AM)BengalBob Wrote: D.J. Ivey has been nicknamed "Poison" by Hilton and others for his sticky coverage downfield.

***OFFICIAL*** Nickname season doesn't start till the regular season. We can joke and discuss them now, but nothing is ***OFFICIAL***. 

But i agree. Everyone else around here dropped the ball.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2023, 11:07 AM)BengalBob Wrote: D.J. Ivey has been nicknamed "Poison" by Hilton and others for his sticky coverage downfield.

I didn't get it at first and thought it was lame. Then, it hit me. 

Reply/Quote

That's awesome
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote