Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Training camp news, notes, thoughts, reaction, etc
(07-24-2018, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor....

And the Berlin wall fell to the Russians . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:04 PM)Beaker Wrote: Last year they had an absolute train wreck for an O line and won 7 games. They also held 4th quarter leads against PIT, GB and TEN. If our D had prevented last drive TDs by Mariota and Rodgers we would have had 9 wins and made the playoffs in front of the Bills since we had beaten them head to head. I think with Price, Glenn and our new O line coach alone we have to be good for at least 1 or 2 more wins. Add improvements in other areas and playoffs are not out of reach by any means.

All of this is true, but if I may, I’d like to play devils advocate. Conversely off of the top of my head, I can think of two games, against the Colts and the final game of the season versus Baltimore, that there can be a strong argument the bengals should have lost. That being said, you are what your record says you are in the NFL.

Everyone talks about these changes, and don’t get me wrong, I too think they are positive. But shouldn’t there be some concern that even if some or all of the new additions to the roster pan out there could be some growing pains? Especially if both playbooks are overhauled and ‘completely different’ as has been indicated since minicamp?

I guess you could say I’m a tad snake bitten at this point. Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited for the season and I think the roster has a ton of potential. I just see a lot of things that have to go right in order for them to realize their full potential. I really hope everything falls into place and it turns into a special season, but I fear that some of the changes will not pan out or existing problems will remain the same and it will hold this team back. Which ones? Who knows, only time will tell.

I want to be wrong.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:47 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: All of this is true, but if I may, I’d like to play devils advocate. Conversely off of the top of my head, I can think of two games, against the Colts and the final game of the season versus Baltimore, that there can be a strong argument the bengals should have lost. That being said, you are what your record says you are in the NFL.

Everyone talks about these changes, and don’t get me wrong, I too think they are positive. But shouldn’t there be some concern that even if some or all of the new additions to the roster pan out there could be some growing pains? Especially if both playbooks are overhauled and ‘completely different’ as has been indicated since minicamp?

I guess you could say I’m a tad snake bitten at this point. Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited for the season and I think the roster has a ton of potential. I just see a lot of things that have to go right in order for them to realize their full potential. I really hope everything falls into place and it turns into a special season, but I fear that some of the changes will not pan out or existing problems will remain the same and it will hold this team back. Which ones? Who knows, only time will tell.

I want to be wrong.

You're not alone. The O line was pretty bad in 2016 too when it a had a top LT and a pretty good RG. Now we're banking on it being improved with a top LT and a good college C... New scheme too I guess.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:21 PM)jason Wrote: You're not alone. The O line was pretty bad in 2016 too when it a had a top LT and a pretty good RG. Now we're banking on it being improved with a top LT and a good college C... New scheme too I guess.

I think this will be around a 9 win team for the reasons highlighted by Real Deal.  That *might* be good enough to back into the playoffs.  The team may catch lightning in a bottle this season, being there are some veterans in key positions, but I fully expect 2019 to be the year we see the real benefit....or lack thereof....of these changes.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:23 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: I want to believe Price is our answer at center, but lets not forget this is his first year, there is a learning curve. I'm not so sure about  Redmond at tackle, size is important, but so is knowledge of the  job.  I have a great feeling about our line this season. We must give them a chance to jell. I'm hoping we can put them in place early in camp. GO BENGALS.

The good thing is, he will line up against Atkins in camp, and they don't get any better than that. If he can handle Atkins, Billings (if he ever gets around to playing like I think he can) and the rest of our Dline, he shouldn't have too much trouble in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think this will be around a 9 win team for the reasons highlighted by Real Deal.  That *might* be good enough to back into the playoffs.  The team may catch lightning in a bottle this season, being there are some veterans in key positions, but I fully expect 2019 to be the year we see the real benefit....or lack thereof....of these changes.

Agree Wyche,

Is there potential for this to be a good team ? sure But I'm not ready to proclaim all of our demons have been expelled in one foul swoop in one off season, just yet.

I hope they prove me wrong, I hope we got 13-3 and get the bye and cruise into the Super Bowl. But I'm just not sure Mike and Marvin have truly stepped all the way into the modern NFL, we'll see pretty soon.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think this will be around a 9 win team for the reasons highlighted by Real Deal.  That *might* be good enough to back into the playoffs.  The team may catch lightning in a bottle this season, being there are some veterans in key positions, but I fully expect 2019 to be the year we see the real benefit....or lack thereof....of these changes.

I don't see anyone backing into the playoffs this season. You better win the Division or have 10 or 11 wins to get the wild card.
Reply/Quote

I can go with this prediction too, based on the changes this offseason.

Not going with a new head coach ultimately is what is holding me back from thinking this team can do much more than this though. Maybe they can, who knows, but I'm not holding my breath about it with Marvin.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:47 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: All of this is true, but if I may, I’d like to play devils advocate. Conversely off of the top of my head, I can think of two games, against the Colts and the final game of the season versus Baltimore, that there can be a strong argument the bengals should have lost. That being said, you are what your record says you are in the NFL.

I guess you could say I’m a tad snake bitten at this point. Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m super excited for the season and I think the roster has a ton of potential. I just see a lot of things that have to go right in order for them to realize their full potential. I really hope everything falls into place and it turns into a special season, but I fear that some of the changes will not pan out or existing problems will remain the same and it will hold this team back.  Which ones? Who knows, only time will tell.

I want to be wrong.

Life's too short for the glass to be half empty. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:43 PM)grampahol Wrote: And the Berlin wall fell to the Russians . 

Actually it fell to the ground.

Jerry
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Fisher if hes healthy should take that spot

Not sure how to take this. Fisher if he's the best option because he's better than anyone else they have, but just being healthy shouldn't get him the job (based on his draft status?).

Not sure if that's what you meant tho. Maybe that's just my fear.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:52 PM)Beaker Wrote: Life's too short for the glass to be half empty. 

You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories.

If they change my mind on the field I’ll be ecstatic.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 12:23 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: I want to believe Price is our answer at center, but lets not forget this is his first year, there is a learning curve. I'm not so sure about Redmond at tackle, size is important, but so is knowledge of the job. I have a great feeling about our line this season. We must give them a chance to jell. I'm hoping we can put them in place early in camp. GO BENGALS.

Both Russell Bodine and Kyle Cook claimed the starting C job as rookies. I’m not worried about Price’s learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Both Russell Bodine and Kyle Cook claimed the starting C job as rookies. I’m not worried about Price’s learning curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cook was in his third year.

But I agree Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree Wyche,

Is there potential for this to be a good team ? sure But I'm not ready to proclaim all of our demons have been expelled in one foul swoop in one off season, just yet.

I hope they prove me wrong, I hope we got 13-3 and get the bye and cruise into the Super Bowl. But I'm just not sure Mike and Marvin have truly stepped all the way into the modern NFL, we'll see pretty soon.

It would be great, wouldn't it?  Hey, I'm not being a downer.....this is an improvement.  I called 6-10 at best last season, and they bested my prediction by 1.  That would be nice if they did that again.  It was a nice offseason, we cleared some dead weight, got some needed help via FA, trades, and a solid draft.  I hope it comes together quicker than I envision....we'll soon see.

(07-25-2018, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't see anyone backing into the playoffs this season. You better win the Division or have 10 or 11 wins to get the wild card.

Valid point....I'd say you're most likely right, but stranger things have happened.

(07-25-2018, 01:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I can go with this prediction too, based on the changes this offseason.

Not going with a new head coach ultimately is what is holding me back from thinking this team can do much more than this though. Maybe they can, who knows, but I'm not holding my breath about it with Marvin.

That's my thoughts as well.....plus, we've added some players from outside, and of course relying on some rooks to take us over the hump.  Here's to hoping that it all takes shape faster than I think it will. Cheers 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I can go with this prediction too, based on the changes this offseason.

I read the article on the teams's website, about our coordinators. After I read it I felt a little better. To me it said, the coordinators will pretty much call the shots of their units. That is welcome news! 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 02:01 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories.

If they change my mind on the field I’ll be ecstatic.

Can't move ahead if you keep looking back.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 03:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I read the article on the teams's website, about our coordinators. After I read it I felt a little better. To me it said, the coordinators will pretty much call the shots of their units. That is welcome news! 

If that's the way it pans out, our future just got a whole lot brighter. 

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 03:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: Can't move ahead if you keep looking back.

An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight... the truly wise person is colorblind.

I’ll continue to be cautiously optimistic, understanding the potential positives and negatives that could happen this season.

I’m lookong forward to camp and I hope it suppresses my doubts and encourages my expectation of success.

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 03:55 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight... the truly wise person is colorblind.

I’ll continue to be cautiously optimistic, understanding the potential positives and negatives that could happen this season.

I’m lookong forward to camp and I hope it suppresses my doubts and encourages my expectation of success.

Just sit back, have a brewski and enjoy the ride brother.

It is going to be a great year. We might not win once we get to the Playoffs but i see us winning a lot of regular
season games. We won a lot of regular season games with Marv, PA and Bodine. I think we can win even more
with Marv, Pollack, Price and Glenn. Not to mention having Mixon and Ross now in the fold.

These two guys could really light it up soon enough.
Reply/Quote