Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Training camp news, notes, thoughts, reaction, etc
I also told Geno he was the best d tackle in the league ThumbsUp

I'm really hoping that the offensive line's struggles were more because of the defensive line's strengths. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 08:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: AJ & Andy-seem really confident in the offense.
Want to carry the momentum from the end of last season.
Offense feels fresh and New; Brings a different enery to the team.
Offensive line- Andy says they see a lot of improvement in on offensive line.
Bill Lazor & Pollack will go after you a bit
Solomon & Jeff- Andy Dalton can be the best QB ever for Bengals.

That’s a bold statement. Anderson was a little before my time, but Boomer was an MVP and took his team to a Super Bowl.

Do most people even put Dalton ahead of Palmer at this point? I would certainly take Palmer in his prime over Dalton, even if the latter goes on to have all the team records and a better career overall.

Not hating btw, just curious what people’s honest opinions are.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You did say that we shouldn't count out Hart at RT, I remember reading that.  I've also mentioned a time or two that I don't feel like our starting RT is even on the Bengals roster, yet.

I am a little concerned still about the status of the O-Line.  Part of it is due the the poor snaps by Price which I think will work itself out.  I am more concerned that Westerman has not shown enough to over take Hopkins at RG.  I remember that Hopkins was a FA surprise and was bringing it until injuries.  Still, I am concerned by the right side of the O-Line.  I am still upset that the Bengals did not take OT in round 3 in Orlando Brown.  

To make things worse, I have not heard an encouraging word regarding Jefferson at backer.  ugh.  

I also think that Walton, the RB will show up. 

I also say keep an eye on flowers.  If the QB situation is as bad as I think it is, then Flowers may have a new role at least on the practice squad.  I still think they should bring in Teddy Bridgewater.  It would be the smart thing to do.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 05:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: if Price doesnt correct the bad snaps then is there a chance he moves to RG and TJ Johnson
moves to center?
Im just wondering out loud. I dont think he can start right away at guard but i dont think the front office wants another year of a 1st RD pick not being able to contribute

Price would be a mauler at RG.  Hell, I would move Hopkins to Center and Price at RG if Price cannot settle down on the snaps.

Like I said in other threads, I think this is a psychological issue of Price being overwhelmed with a leadership role, calling out plays, Identifying the Mike backer, scanning the field and snapping to a red-headed QB  LMAO

Well actually someone else mentioned the read-headed QB issue.  

But seriously, this will in all likelihood work itself out because Price is smart, has the skills, is a leader, and is a fighter.  The last one is most important because a lot of psychological battles are won and lost through mental toughness, not giving up.  I don't see Price giving up.  

I just hope the coaches do not give up on the rookie and just go with the growing pains, at least during the preseason games.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s a bold statement. Anderson was a little before my time, but Boomer was an MVP and took his team to a Super Bowl.

Do most people even put Dalton ahead of Palmer at this point? I would certainly take Palmer in his prime over Dalton, even if the latter goes on to have all the team records and a better career overall.

Dalton is well behind Anderson and Boomer and Cook for that matter. Dalton simply folds under pressure despite stats he can generate.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 01:03 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Dalton is well behind Anderson and Boomer and Cook for that matter. Dalton simply folds under pressure despite stats he can generate.

Okay one thing, those other three QBs did not have to deal with Mike Brown and his poor decisions.  Back in the day, Paul Brown valued interior linemen, especially O-Line.  O-Line can make QB look good.  

Out of those 4?  I don't know.  Cook was probably the most talented QB the Bengals ever had but unrealized, so sad.
Boomer had his moments when he was so full of Adrenalin that he would overthrow people by 10 yards.  But He did win playoff games.  
I would say Anderson was unassuming, humble and had the skills to throw darts short to medium routes like some of the best in the game.  But Anderson would wilt like a flower at today's defense players.  Hell, I worried that Anderson was going to get killed back in the day.

Dalton has playoff monkey on his back.  But he has the arm to throw deep (maybe not always accurate) with an O Line that has been lower than average under the Paul Alexander.  Hell, it seemed like coaches didn't care that Palmer was getting killed in some games because of the poor O-Line.  

I think in terms of numbers, Dalton can put up some impressive stats this year with this WR group.  I don't know if it means a playoff win though.   At this moment I would have to give the edge to Boomer.   

A QB is measured by playoff wins and championships.  Simple as that.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 11:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I also told Geno he was the best d tackle in the league  ThumbsUp

I'm really hoping that the offensive line's struggles were more because of the defensive line's strengths.  Otherwise, it's going to be a long season.

I was just thinking about this and what if Pollack is having the defense send a lot more pass rushers in different ways (stunts, blitzes, etc) so that they're prepared for the worst so the normal pass rush won't seem so difficult.

I'd have to see every other day's practices, obviously, but it might be a possibility because we have smart coaches now.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2018, 11:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m disappointed Westerman and Redmond haven’t won spots.

They haven't even played the 1st pre season game yet........ Whatever
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 12:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s a bold statement. Anderson was a little before my time, but Boomer was an MVP and took his team to a Super Bowl.

Outside of the fact both Kenny and Boomer took their teams to the Super Bowl, you have to remember they had pretty good teams to take. Remember, it is a team sport. (I mean, c'mon, look at some of the winning Super Bowl QB's who were average at best but their teams carried them there) So let's look at the QB numbers.

Years played:
Kenny Anderson- 15
Boomer Esiason- 13
Andy Dalton- 6

Passing Yards:
Kenny Anderson- 32838
Boomer Esiason- 27149
Andy Dalton- 25534

Andy will pass Boomer this year when he gets 1,615 yds. He has to get 7,304 to pass Kenny.

Completion %:
Kenny Anderson- 59.3%
Boomer Esiason- 56.5%
Andy Dalton- 62.3%

Touchdowns:
Kenny Anderson- 197
Boomer Esiason- 187
Andy Dalton- 167

Interception %:
Kenny Anderson- 3.6
Boomer Esiason- 3.7
Andy Dalton- 2.6

I'm a huge Boomer fan, and I love Kenny Anderson even more, but it's not even going to be close, Dalton will be the #1 Bengals QB in the history of the team when he retires, unless he get hurt and has to retire. And yes, he has already far surpassed Palmer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/career-passing.htm
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They haven't even played the 1st pre season game yet........ Whatever

I think alot of people are failing to realize that and forget we still have 4 full preseason games to figure things out. 
Reply/Quote
On paper this season is supposed to be real tough, but that's on paper. Nobody knows yet how the other teams they'll play will do. The only real thing we have to go by at this point (other than speculation ) is how the teams finished last year, but last year isn't this year. Players move on, get traded, retire, get injured and so on and every team is going to have their rookies and rookie mistakes. Coaching staffs move on, get fired, etc. as well.  How many times have we seen solid teams from the previous year come out flat and go nowhere and the opposite, teams nobody expected to do squat come out and light things up?  That's why we still follow the Bengals after all. If we knew beyond the shadow of a doubt they were going to lose every game nobody would bother, but we don't know that so we do follow.. For all we know they'll win all 16 games and the championship although I'm not about to bet my right nor left nut on that scenario.. I won't even bet a haircut on it . 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 01:03 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Dalton is well behind Anderson and Boomer and Cook for that matter. Dalton simply folds under pressure despite stats he can generate.

Methinks we have a creature that lives under bridges here....
Reply/Quote

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

Prime time and playoffs. Still to be proven otherwise. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah, don't believe the numbers..... Hilarious
It's not Dalton that folds in Primetime and Playoff games, it's the whole team.....
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, don't believe the numbers..... Hilarious
It's not Dalton that folds in Primetime and Playoff games, it's the whole team.....

Truth
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, don't believe the numbers..... Hilarious

I'll give you Marvin, as he's the only one still around. Wink
Reply/Quote
I was watching Good Morning Football, my daily dose of Kay, but they were talking to an OC, can't remember who it was, he said they haven't even started to install their offense. Anyone who has been to camp noticed if we have been working on new stuff or just simple basic stuff to get a feel for who is who?
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2018, 09:19 AM)Sweetness Wrote: I think alot of people are failing to realize that and forget we still have 4 full preseason games to figure things out. 

So it is not worthy of a discussion when your projected rookie starter continues to have trouble snapping the football??

I am rooting for him and know he has 5 or 6 weeks to fix it, I also know if we use the he has to earn the starting position like we did with our kicker a year ago, he could be in trouble to be starting week 1 right now.
But, I hope and think he fixes it and as I have said, may not in 2018, but I see a stud and all pro at center with Price long term.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Our most heralded players are Geno and AJ. Have they played like all pro's in playoff games?

I agree, the team folds in prime time, Dalton included, but not just him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote