Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tua out for Thursday?
(10-01-2022, 07:20 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Can Tua last in this league or is this the end of it for him?

We will know that when he takes hard slams to the ground which will happen. If he is given enough time to heal, he would be ok if they force it and play him too soon then it will be reoccurring.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 11:47 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: We will know that when he takes hard slams to the ground which will happen. If he is given enough time to heal, he would be ok if they force it and play him too soon then it will be reoccurring.

I know it's not the NFL but alot of colleges go by the 3 concussion rule. Three concussions in a season and they are done for a while. 

Dolphins actually have a guy on the roster that went through that. Jaelan Phillips had several concussions at UCLA he medically retired for a year after transferring to Miami then played 1 more season before going in the 1st round to the Dolphins
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 11:56 AM)Synric Wrote: I know it's not the NFL but alot of colleges go by the 3 concussion rule. Three concussions in a season and they are done for a while. 

Dolphins actually have a guy on the roster that went through that. Jaelan Phillips had several concussions at UCLA he medically retired for a year after transferring to Miami then played 1 more season before going in the 1st round to the Dolphins

He had two within four days and the second slam was fairly hard. It might have done some permeant damage being that close to each other.
Reply/Quote
Oklahoma QB just took an awful hit on a slide. TCU defender targeted his head as he was sliding down. Looked awful but they said he walked off the field during the commercial break so hopefully he’s okay.
Reply/Quote
The doctor who cleared Tua has been fired after it was found "several mistakes" were made.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:50 PM)Destro Wrote: The doctor who cleared Tua has been fired after it was found "several mistakes" were made.

Fall guy...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 04:00 PM)jason Wrote: Fall guy...

What a joke of an organization (NFL and the Dolphins). This doctor guy should make a statement, but for some reason I feel as though he/she will not. What's a matter doctor, don't want to defend yourself? Why not?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 04:00 PM)jason Wrote: Fall guy...

He should be fired but I get what you are saying. They are hoping firing him will take the heat off the team and coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 02:37 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Oklahoma QB just took an awful hit on a slide. TCU defender targeted his head as he was sliding down. Looked awful but they said he walked off the field during the commercial break so hopefully he’s okay.

Just saw that. Same in Kentucky- Ole Miss game. Same exact play Helmet hit on a slide Ky QB Levis. No flag.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 04:58 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What a joke of an organization (NFL and the Dolphins). This doctor guy should make a statement, but for some reason I feel as though he/she will not. What's a matter doctor, don't want to defend yourself? Why not?

The Dolphins’ current ownership is ridiculous. Brian Flores. Then a couple of tampering things and now this.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
NFLPA terminates unaffiliated neurotrauma consultant involved in Tua Tagovailoa's concussion evaluation during Week 3 game vs. Bills

https://www.nfl.com/news/nflpa-terminates-unaffiliated-neurotrauma-consultant-involved-in-tua-tagovailoa-
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2022, 03:50 PM)Destro Wrote: The doctor who cleared Tua has been fired after it was found "several mistakes" were made.
[Image: passing-wealth-grandchildren.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Oh, and now they think the protocol needs to be changed.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Um, no. Ataxia is a neurological abnormality just like a fencing posture is. Should have been in the concussion protocol. NFL just needs to follow their own protocol. Not change it.
Reply/Quote
I hate all this knee-jerk BS. Q1: Was the protocol followed? Q2: Is the protocol insufficient?
Guess what, mistakes will happen. Parents, coaches, and doctors all may choose to see only what they want to and explain away things they don't want to see.

So, are the Bengals seeing that sometimes you have to protect your QB from themselves? What are they doing about it? I love JB's never say attitude, but between that attitude and the blocking we all know the Bengals are rolling dice (just like every other NFL franchise).
Reply/Quote

Speaking of mistakes...

If Tua clears protocol this week and plays Sunday, that would be a big mistake. He should be made to sit at least 1 more week. 

Should be intersting.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 09:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Speaking of mistakes...

If Tua clears protocol this week and plays Sunday, that would be a big mistake. He should be made to sit at least 1 more week. 

Should be intersting.

Ha! Who wants to green light him? 

He will end up like the QB in the Key & Peele skit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4tlOIo4A8
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Team docs have got to be feeling the heat and the last INC was fired. I'd be really surprised if he can make it through protocol this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2022, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Explain this.

If a concussion can be diagnosed just from watching TV then why would the NFL waste time with all these doctors and tests?

And why haven't the Dolphins been punished by the NFL?  Law suits over head injuries could coat the league millions.  So why is The NFL letting the Dolphins get away with violating the rules?

Consensus statement on concussion in sport—the 5th international conference on concussion in sport held in Berlin, October 2016 | British Journal of Sports Medicine (bmj.com)

If you have questions about concussions that consensus statement is an essential reference.

The definition includes "SRC typically results in the rapid onset of short-lived impairment of neurological function that resolves spontaneously." SRC=Sports Related Concussion

Observable neurological abnormalities usually don't last long and the quickly go away on their own with mild concussions. Seeing a player stumble after a blow to the head then not show observable signs in the second half is consistent with the definition. That's what I would expect to see.

Sideline evaluation, "Players manifesting clear on-field signs of SRC (eg, loss of consciousness*, tonic posturing, balance disturbance) should immediately be removed from sporting participation."

If a player can't control his balance and equilibrium after a blow to the head that is a "clear on-field sign of" a sports related concussion.  Just like seeing tonic posturing during Thursday night's game was a clear on-field sign of a concussion.

Regarding video:

"In cases where the physician may have been concerned about a possible concussion, but after the sideline assessment (including additional information from the athlete, the assessment itself and/or inspection of videotape of the incident) concussion is no longer suspected, then the physician can determine the disposition and timing of return to play for that athlete."

"Additional domains that may add to the clinical utility of the SCAT tool include clinical reaction time, gait/balance assessment, video-observable signs and oculomotor screening."

"The addition of sideline video review offers a promising approach to improving identification and evaluation of significant head-impact events, and a serial SRC evaluation process appears to be important to detect delayed-onset SRC."

So despite your skepticism, I can diagnose some concussions from watching my TV if I observe a temporary disruption of normal neurological function. Because if it is abnormal, it is abnormal if I observe it in person or video replay. Observing the abnormal sign matters, not my location.

Remember when you said you never had a concussion, but got knocked unconscious* by a shot put hitting you in the head? That was a concussion due to a temporary disruption of normal neurological function that also resulted in a LOC (loss of consciousness), decreased awareness, and I'll bet you don't remember what happened immediately after you were hit in the head so probably amnesia as well.
Reply/Quote

At approximately 6:30 in the video, "We now have the value of video." (Click the "Watch on YouTube" link.)

The value of video is you can look for those temporary observable signs that may have disappeared on their own by the time the sideline or locker room or clinic exam occurs.  We expect the observable signs to disappear quickly because that is, by definition, part of what makes a concussion a concussion. By watching video, you can observe temporary observable signs you would have otherwise missed. And as explained in the video, Tua may have felt and acted fine during the second half, that doesn't rule out a concussion in the first half.

This underscores there is still a need to educate the public on what a concussion looks like. Take away is this; if you have a child or relative who plays sports and you see them unable to maintain their balance after hitting their head, if they are swaying or unsteady on their feet, if they are "shaking the cobwebs out," that's a concussion. That player should immediately be removed from the game and enter the return to play protocol. If the coaching staff or trainers don't recognize it and take the appropriate action, you need to make them for the health and safety the player. Sideline your own kid if necessary.

We know one concussion increases the risk and severity of future concussions, especially if the player hasn't healed from the previous concussion. There is no doubt in my mind, Sunday's injury played a part in Thursday's injury. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2022, 11:18 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:

At approximately 6:30 in the video, "We now have the value of video." (Click the "Watch on YouTube" link.)

The value of video is you can look for those temporary observable signs that may have disappeared on their own by the time the sideline or locker room or clinic exam occurs.  We expect the observable signs to disappear quickly because that is, by definition, part of what makes a concussion a concussion. By watching video, you can observe temporary observable signs you would have otherwise missed. And as explained in the video, Tua may have felt and acted fine during the second half, that doesn't rule out a concussion in the first half.

This underscores there is still a need to educate the public on what a concussion looks like. Take away is this; if you have a child or relative who plays sports and you see them unable to maintain their balance after hitting their head, if they are swaying or unsteady on their feet, if they are "shaking the cobwebs out," that's a concussion. That player should immediately be removed from the game and enter the return to play protocol. If the coaching staff or trainers don't recognize it and take the appropriate action, you need to make them for the health and safety the player. Sideline your own kid if necessary.

We know one concussion increases the risk and severity of future concussions, especially if the player hasn't healed from the previous concussion. There is no doubt in my mind, Sunday's injury played a part in Thursday's injury. 

Nobody would have debated a video diagnosis of Tua having a concussion Thursday, but for some reason they debate it on the Sunday one.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote