Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tua's agent: "I hoping Cincy falls in love with Joe Burrow."
(01-31-2020, 11:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Idk about "Weren't trying to win a SuperBowl", that 2005 team was pretty loaded and looked well on it's way to at least getting to AFCCG.  Well, that is until Mike Brown radioed down to Bill Cowher and instructed him to "Have Kimo sweep the knee"..  Ninja

That article should be re-titled as "Washed up has-been that never was QB, Salty over young, Stud QB to steal the thunder once thought to actually be his"..

I wouldn't make this about Palmer vs Burrow since Palmer has been pointing out Mike Brown's limp resume since Burrow was in middle school.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is literally Steinberg attempting to get Tua's name in the mix/in the media. With Burrow being the heavy favorite for pick #1, Herbert having a good showing in the Senior Bowl and Tua chilling with the crickets, Steinberg had to cause some racket to say "Hey, don't forget about my fragile a$$ quarterback!!".

Breaking news! We don't want your quarterback!
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Vikes are habitual playoff chokers, and that hasn’t really changed since Zimmer got there.

Would I take their records over ours the last few years? Sure, but that’s not saying much. At least we didn’t have to go out and vastly overpay a FA QB because we’re so bad at drafting our own.

Only one team wins a Superbowl each year. So the ones that get to the playoffs and win playoff games each year are all "habitual" chokers I guess.

Again. I won't slam any team or coach winning playoff games each year to try to boost this FO. Even if they don't make the Superbowl.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:39 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Like Dalton was screwed? Was he not set up to win when he went to the playoffs 5 straight times as an average QB on a good team? He had a good OL, good RBs, good WRs and a good defense. I cant buy into the narrative that can we cant build a team around a QB after going to the playoffs 5 out of the last 9 years with a QB like Andy Dalton. An elite QB could've easily had at least one of those teams in the SB. Give me a Drew Brees or someone like that in 2015 over Dalton/McCarron, and we handily beat the Stealers and go deep in the playoffs, maybe the SB.

There hadn't been a legit free agent signing since Bryant. No Dalton didn't get the help once the contracts of players who were here before him ran out (the oline, Sanu/MJ etc).

**correction** Sanu/MJ weren't here before him, but the FO never tried to keep them for him.

A probowler hadn't been drafted since 2012 (maybe 2013 can't remember when Eifert was drafted). No Allpro since 2011.

They did nothing to put those playoff teams over the hump. Nothing.

We just had good experienced coaches (which we don't have now on Offense to help Burrow, and again they did nothing to change that).

Unless you are referencing the over-aged linebackers they signed each offseason under Dalton.........

I never heard folks claiming that was building a team around Dalton before now.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 10:52 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I was about to post this article on it's own thread, but since you brought it up, here is an article on Palmer's comments. Neither Palmer or Steinberg are wrong in their opinions. Short of a 'come to Jesus moment', I don't see it having any affect on the Brown family. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/carson-palmer-says-bengals-werent-trying-to-win-a-super-bowl/

Some fans get upset when people publicly trash the Bengals but I think the blame is deserved and hope it embarrasses the front office enough to make them change there ways even tho it won’t. Some of the things Palmer and others have said about the organization are the same things fans say everyday in this forum. I’m assuming Steinburg has other clients in this upcoming draft or free agency other than Tua ?
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: There hadn't been a legit free agent signing since Antonio Brown. No Dalton didn't get the help once the contracts of players who were here before him ran out (the oline, Sanu/MJ etc).

A probowler hadn't been drafted since 2012 (maybe 2013 can't remember when Eifert was drafted).

Unless you are referencing the over-aged linebackers they signed each offseason under Dalton.........

Dalton isn't going to be our QB next year so we have to hope it was on him and not our possibly God awful HC who isn't leaving.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 01:01 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Love reading stuff like this.  I hope mike brown knows how agents and players feel about playing here and maybe juuuuuust maybe mike brown will allow himself to be humbled and make some changes to his unsuccessful approach over and over again.

If it's not sent to Mike Brown in a handwritten letter, he won't ever read it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Don't worry Steiny. We're all hoping that too.
Reply/Quote
Interesting read.... hater or truth?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/carson-palmer-says-bengals-werent-trying-to-win-a-super-bowl/

The Bengals are poised to use the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft on a quarterback.

And the last one they used the top pick on had a warning for Joe Burrow.

Former Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, the first pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, didn’t have kind things to say about the franchise during an interview with CBS Sports Radio.

“That’s why I wanted out: I never felt like the [Bengals’] organization was really trying to win a Super Bowl, and really chasing the Super Bowl,” Palmer said. “Because that’s what today’s day and age is. The game today is you can’t just hope you draft well and not go after free agents and you just end up in the Super Bowl. You gotta go get it.

“And I then went and played for Michael Bidwill in Arizona, and Michael was all about winning. Everything was about winning. The culture was about winning. And we — very fortunately — the year before I got to Arizona, I think they won a couple games, or three or four games. And Michael Bidwill dug his feet in the ground, and I saw an owner say we’re gonna go after this. And we’re gonna do what it takes to win. And at the end of the day when owners do what it takes to win and have that type of mentality – and everybody’s on board — you know I saw it right before my eyes. Ten wins, 11 wins, 12 wins — whatever it was, those next three years.

“And when the organization is completely behind doing what it takes to win, and you’ve got the right players, then that’s the recipe for a Super Bowl. When you’ve got good players but you’re not really forcing everybody in the organization’s hand to do what we can to be better, to do what we can to win a Super Bowl, that’s the difference in the NFL. You look at what Bob Kraft’s done. You look at the teams that have had success year in and year out. You look at what goes on in Baltimore. I mean, that team is always good. That team is doing whatever it takes. They are willing to do whatever it takes to win. And that’s why they’re consistently in the playoffs, regardless of who their quarterback is.”

OK then. Don’t hold anything back, Carson.

The fact he used the Cardinals — the franchise with the second-lowest winning percentage all time — as the model for a commitment to winning makes it clear what he thought of his first employer.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Interesting read.... hater or truth?

The Bengals are poised to use the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft on a quarterback.

And the last one they used the top pick on had a warning for Joe Burrow.

Former Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, the first pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, didn’t have kind things to say about the franchise during an interview with CBS Sports Radio.

“That’s why I wanted out: I never felt like the [Bengals’] organization was really trying to win a Super Bowl, and really chasing the Super Bowl,” Palmer said. “Because that’s what today’s day and age is. The game today is you can’t just hope you draft well and not go after free agents and you just end up in the Super Bowl. You gotta go get it.

“And I then went and played for Michael Bidwill in Arizona, and Michael was all about winning. Everything was about winning. The culture was about winning. And we — very fortunately — the year before I got to Arizona, I think they won a couple games, or three or four games. And Michael Bidwill dug his feet in the ground, and I saw an owner say we’re gonna go after this. And we’re gonna do what it takes to win. And at the end of the day when owners do what it takes to win and have that type of mentality – and everybody’s on board — you know I saw it right before my eyes. Ten wins, 11 wins, 12 wins — whatever it was, those next three years.

“And when the organization is completely behind doing what it takes to win, and you’ve got the right players, then that’s the recipe for a Super Bowl. When you’ve got good players but you’re not really forcing everybody in the organization’s hand to do what we can to be better, to do what we can to win a Super Bowl, that’s the difference in the NFL. You look at what Bob Kraft’s done. You look at the teams that have had success year in and year out. You look at what goes on in Baltimore. I mean, that team is always good. That team is doing whatever it takes. They are willing to do whatever it takes to win. And that’s why they’re consistently in the playoffs, regardless of who their quarterback is.”

OK then. Don’t hold anything back, Carson.

The fact he used the Cardinals — the franchise with the second-lowest winning percentage all time — as the model for a commitment to winning makes it clear what he thought of his first employer.

I do not see why the Bengals would want to swim in the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't make this about Palmer vs Burrow since Palmer has been pointing out Mike Brown's limp resume since Burrow was in middle school.

Welcome back to American Top 40, It's now time for this week's long distance dedication.  

Long distance dedications are a long standing tradition here at AT 40, they often are used to celebrate lost loves of one's past, or to reach out to someone who was inspirational in someone's life.  Those feelings aren't always about romantic love or uplifting the human spirit, sometimes they are as simple as a failed sports hero.

Today's story centers around Carson, a rich kid from California who grew to become a hot shot QB prospect in the NFL.  He was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals, the lowliest team in the league.  The fans of the Bengals were elated for Carson to come and take the team to new heights, except there was a bump in the road, and those dreams never materialized.  All of Bengal Nation was crushed, in particular a young fanboy named Nate from Pennsylvania.  Nate lives in hostile territory for a Bengals fan, so Carson's demise had special meaning to him.

And now, without any further ado, here's this week's long distance dedication.  From Carson in California to Nate in Pennsylvania;  Here's Canadian singer Anne Murray with "You needed me".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
People hate on Palmer for saying the same things about the organization us fans say everyday. We had a good run after Carson left. At the end of the day Palmer has won more playoff games then this entire organization has won in the last 30 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:57 AM)jj22 Wrote: There hadn't been a legit free agent signing since Bryant. No Dalton didn't get the help once the contracts of players who were here before him ran out (the oline, Sanu/MJ etc).

**correction** Sanu/MJ weren't here before him, but the FO never tried to keep them for him.

A probowler hadn't been drafted since 2012 (maybe 2013 can't remember when Eifert was drafted). No Allpro since 2011.

We just had good experienced coaches (which we don't have now on Offense to help Burrow, and again they did nothing to change that).

It's not like Bryant was some stud WR though. He was a WR2 to be opposite of Chad. Only two 1000+ yard seasons in his 7 year career.

And some of the LBs the Bengals have signed in the Dalton era really weren't even past their prime. They simply tried to put a square peg into a round hole.
You can't get a guy like Preston Brown or Kevin Minter who has no range and expect him to be a rangy LB.
You also can't expect many rangy LBs to be studs at stuffing the run.
The DL needs to do a better job to remove holes in the running game so that the rangy LBs can go around them or drop back in coverage.

I honestly can't recall a time (since the ML era at least) where the Bengals brought in a Top 10 player at his position via outside FA.
Now you can make the argument that those guys typically don't hit FA because their team retains them, but we see at least a few a year actually hit FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 11:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Only one team wins a Superbowl each year. So the ones that get to the playoffs and win playoff games each year are all "habitual" chokers I guess.

Again. I won't slam any team or coach winning playoff games each year to try to boost this FO. Even if they don't make the Superbowl.

21-30 in the playoffs all time, including 0-4 in the Super Bowl...

Yes they are chokers. But yes, they’ve also made it there way more than us. Good for them?

I just find it funny a guy with “Team Zimmer” in his sig is claiming a QB can’t succeed here when our QB situation has been MUCH more stable than theirs over the past 15 years or so.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 07:54 AM)grampahol Wrote: Not a very good agent then since Cincinnati for all it's faults does at least tend to keep QBs for a long time if they're good and they tend to get paid rather well. Andy Dalton could retire right now, adopt 50 kids and never have to work another day his entire life. Yeah, brilliant on Tua's agent's part..steer your client toward Cleveland, the grave yard of QB's instead!

Unless Jordon divorced him, then the child support and alimony would have him bankrupt in 6 months.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:09 PM)Whatever Wrote: I do not see why the Bengals would want to swim in the Super Bowl.

Remember, the Super Bowl is traditionally held in warm weather cities, so it's probably a beautiful day to go for a swim!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welcome back to American Top 40, It's now time for this week's long distance dedication.  

Long distance dedications are a long standing tradition here at AT 40, they often are used to celebrate lost loves of one's past, or to reach out to someone who was inspirational in someone's life.  Those feelings aren't always about romantic love or uplifting the human spirit, sometimes they are as simple as a failed sports hero.

Today's story centers around Carson, a rich kid from California who grew to become a hot shot QB prospect in the NFL.  He was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals, the lowliest team in the league.  The fans of the Bengals were elated for Carson to come and take the team to new heights, except there was a bump in the road, and those dreams never materialized.  All of Bengal Nation was crushed, in particular a young fanboy named Nate from Pennsylvania.  Nate lives in hostile territory for a Bengals fan, so Carson's demise had special meaning to him.

And now, without any further ado, here's this week's long distance dedication.  From Carson in California to Nate in Pennsylvania;  Here's Canadian singer Anne Murray with "You needed me".

I see a sort of sad solidarity in Bengals QBs under Mike brown but you seem to enjoy picturing them as bitter ex wives seething and hating the boss's new flame.  But alas, Boomer carson and dalton were the problem and Burrow will finally carry Mike's lazy arse to the promised land!

I just don't think the Bengals QBs are nearly as jealous and hateful of each other as you do, but that's my take.  It's possible Boomer Palmer and Dalton are all going to have a group cry when Burrow gets drafted.  
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 21-30 in the playoffs all time, including 0-4 in the Super Bowl...

Yes they are chokers. But yes, they’ve also made it there way more than us. Good for them?

I just find it funny a guy with “Team Zimmer” in his sig is claiming a QB can’t succeed here when our QB situation has been MUCH more stable than theirs over the past 15 years or so.

Stable for MB...

Stability has never been in question thanks to MB.

But folks around here say Dalton should have been gone, and would have been gone anywhere else.

Soooooooo......

Was that stability worth bragging about now or was Dalton haters wrong?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 12:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I see a sort of sad solidarity in Bengals QBs under Mike brown but you seem to enjoy picturing them as bitter ex wives seething and hating the boss's new flame.  But alas, Boomer carson and dalton were the problem and Burrow will finally carry Mike's lazy arse to the promised land!

I just don't think the Bengals QBs are nearly as jealous and hateful of each other as you do, but that's my take.  It's possible Boomer Palmer and Dalton are all going to have a group cry when Burrow gets drafted.  

Boomer is actually giving Burrow a Bengals helmet and being positive about it though. At least publicly. Carson needs to give it a rest already. Even if he doesn’t bring it up and is asked about it, can’t he just say he’s covered it plenty of times already?

Reply/Quote
If you were a new fan to professional football and didn't grow up in Cincinnati or your parents didn't root for the Bengals, what would make you actually become a Bengals fan right now?

I bring this up because that's basically what Palmer is getting at. Barring some loyalty to the city or to the team your relatives root for, the organization has not really done anything to draw in more fans. Many believe they need to change their ways to have true top-tier success but they don't agree and therefore don't change (much).

Winning (specifically postseason) grows the fan base and the Bengals haven't done a good job with that. Yes, they've been better some other franchises, but those teams aren't growing their fan base either.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote