Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tunsil
Ben was always one of the most sacked QB’s in the league, too. It’s kind of surprising to me anyone could watch Burrow through 28 games now and not come to the realization that he’s always going to take a ton of sacks. It’s just the style he plays.

They still obviously have to give him the best possible protection, but that’s as much about not killing plays (and even drives), as it is mitigating chances for injuries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 06:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For 8 straight years ('13-'20) Russell Wilson was sacked at least 40 times every year.  And he also accumulated anther 42 sacks in postseason games.

And he was never injured.

Stop acting like Burrow is made of glass.

Stop acting like Joe hasn't already suffered a serious injury, isn't currently fighting through a knee injury, and hasn't missed a chunk of his rookie season due to injury from lack of protection.....  Nobody said he was made of glass. No one said Luck was made of glass. They both played QB like LB's. Don't put words in my mouth then try to come for me over something I never said while ignoring facts to the contrary of your supposed point.

But yea, Wilson was never injured. Your point? Burrow can't say the same.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 07:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: But yea, Wilson was never injured. Your point? Burrow can't say the same.

My point is that QBs don't get injured from high rates of sacks.  Instead they get injured by random hits.

I am not saying we don't need to improve our O-line.  I am just not saying Burrow is so much weaker he won't be able to survive getting sacked.  Last year there were half a dozen QBs who were sacked more than Burrow but did not miss any time with injury.  DeShaun Watson was sacked over 150 times the last three years he played and never missed a game.  Andy Dalton was sacked close to 300 times in his career with the Bengals without an injury (both his injuries were on tackles after a turnover). 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 08:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is that QBs don't get injured from high rates of sacks.  Instead they get injured by random hits.

I am not saying we don't need to improve our O-line.  I am just not saying Burrow is so much weaker he won't be able to survive getting sacked.  Last year there were half a dozen QBs who were sacked more than Burrow but did not miss any time with injury.  DeShaun Watson was sacked over 150 times the last three years he played and never missed a game.  Andy Dalton was sacked close to 300 times in his career with the Bengals without an injury (both his injuries were on tackles after a turnover). 

Each hit you take is a chance at injury, so while he may not be made of glass, it only takes 1 sack to be done for awhile, especially a QB. Injury to throwing hand/fingers, shoulder, etc etc. so we need to limit the amount of contact , even if it’s only by 3-4sacks a season. Fewer limits the potential for injury
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 06:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ben was always one of the most sacked QB’s in the league, too. It’s kind of surprising to me anyone could watch Burrow through 28 games now and not come to the realization that he’s always going to take a ton of sacks. It’s just the style he plays.

They still obviously have to give him the best possible protection, but that’s as much about not killing plays (and even drives), as it is mitigating chances for injuries.

Yeah, I guess I have just watched the same playstyle of "F it, I will take the hits" end Andrew Luck and Cam Newton's careers real early (Newton is still "playing" but if we're being honest his career has been over for 3 years now and he hasn't been the same QB since 2016).

Even Ben Roethlisberger only played a full season 5 times in 18 years. It doesn't get talked about more because the Steelers always had a good/great defense and a solid running game to get over it.

If those guys couldn't stand up to the rigors of taking all those hits with their advantage of being F'ing huge (Luck 240, Newton 245... Ben 240 as a rookie, had to be like 280+ not long after), I just don't want to see Burrow get his career so shortened by that playstyle. I want 15-20 years of healthy Joe Burrow to enjoy.

He needs to at least take the path of Russell Wilson. Even if you're not going to try to limit the sacks in order to try to make big plays, limit the big hits you take. Slide, go down easier, etc. Don't see how a QB can survive longterm otherwise. (Granted I don't think Burrow has young Wilson's legs and baseball sliding experience, so that might not be viable.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 08:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I guess I have just watched the same playstyle of "F it, I will take the hits" end Andrew Luck and Cam Newton's careers real early (Newton is still "playing" but if we're being honest his career has been over for 3 years now and he hasn't been the same QB since 2016).

Even Ben Roethlisberger only played a full season 5 times in 18 years. It doesn't get talked about more because the Steelers always had a good/great defense and a solid running game to get over it.

If those guys couldn't stand up to the rigors of taking all those hits with their advantage of being F'ing huge (Luck 240, Newton 245... Ben 240 as a rookie, had to be like 280+ not long after), I just don't want to see Burrow get his career so shortened by that playstyle. I want 15-20 years of healthy Joe Burrow to enjoy.

He needs to at least take the path of Russell Wilson. Even if you're not going to try to limit the sacks in order to try to make big plays, limit the big hits you take. Slide, go down easier, etc. Don't see how a QB can survive longterm otherwise. (Granted I don't think Burrow has young Wilson's legs and baseball sliding experience, so that might not be viable.)
Wilson slides better than almost anyone ever.  It's served him well.  I agree that Burrow needs to mitigate some of the damage he takes through his own decisions.  Luck was the exact same way, except he had a much larger frame.  He wanted to go out and be physical, and it cost him in the end.  
Reply/Quote
Luck also had off the field injuries that compounded things towards the end (the snowboarding accident).

Reply/Quote