Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tunsil
Prior to this draft the 2 best prospects PFF rated at LT coming out of college were:

Leramy Tunsil
Jonah Williams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals were going to go out and make a move for an offensive lineman Brian Allen is the guy... unless the Rams tag him.

Allen had a rough game against the Buccaneers.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Allen had a rough game against the Buccaneers.

Vita Vea is a very good nose tackle.

Best pass protection is a consistent run offense and right now the Bengals don't have either. Hopkins is an above average pass blocker but he's actually hurting the offense line as a run blocking. Brian Allen is one of the better run blocker centers in the NFL coming from a similar system to the Bengals. Add Allen then you are looking at Right Tackle make a play for Morgan Moses but expect to draft a rookie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Vita Vea is a very good nose tackle.

Best pass protection is a consistent run offense and right now the Bengals don't have either. Hopkins is an above average pass blocker but he's actually hurting the offense line as a run blocking. Brian Allen is one of the better run blocker centers in the NFL coming from a similar system to the Bengals. Add Allen then you are looking at Right Tackle make a play for Morgan Moses but expect to draft a rookie.

Yes, Vea is probably the best NT in the league.

I agree, Hopkins isn't a good run blocking Center. Think he will have a better game against the Chiefs than the Titans but we
still need to upgrade Center as always lol

Also like the thought of adding Morgan Moses. Allen and Moses fit our scheme.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:13 PM)Synric Wrote: If the Bengals were going to go out and make a move for an offensive lineman Brian Allen is the guy... unless the Rams tag him.

Allen has allowed 5 sacks this year, most among C's.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: Allen has allowed 5 sacks this year, most among C's.

Allen allowed 5 sacks 20 pressures 2 TFL 5 penalties 3.53% Pressures allowed % on 903 snaps. That is pretty average in pass protection his pressures just converted to sacks a 25% rate.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I am in the camp we need to add 2 great OL and then keep developing the youngsters

We often overlook a QB hates pressure right up the middle so I would make Scherff priority 1 and then go after a less expensive but solid RT like Fischer, Moses or a Duane Brown
I would hope Carmen and us sign Spain could compete for other guard spot

We have the cap space to make it happen especially if we cut X for a couple of million and Waynes for 11 million
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Im not sure who needs to hear this but apparently some of you do. HOPKINS IS ONE OF THE WORST STARTING CENTERS IN THE LEAGUE.

I would not be opposed to the Tunsil move but to be honest my dream off-season would be: Sign RG Brandon Scherff, Sign RT Morgan Moses, re-sign Spain and trade up in the draft for Linderbaum. Might only cost us our 1st and 3rd or 4th depending on how hard he falls. I honestly like our young backups (Carman, Prince, Smith and even Adeniji).

2022 dream (realistic-ish) OL

LT: Jonah (not a world beater but not a liability, Average)
LG: Spain (solid player)
C: Linderbaum (potential future all-pro C)
RG: Schereff (All-pro RG)
RT: Moses (solid player)

Backup G: Carman (could develop into a good player and takeover for Scherff or Spain in 2023)
Backup T: Smith and Prince (not world-beaters but both still young with potential)
Backup C: Hopkins (vet albeit a below average one)

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I'm indifferent to Tunsil, but trading picks to a team in cap hell is my hope for fixing the line. We've got cap room and will for a couple of seasons (when hopefully guys like carman will be ready). But drafting a lineman or two to fix the line is unlikely. Our best bet is either fa or finding a trade partner.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:44 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Im not sure who needs to hear this but apparently some of you do.  HOPKINS IS ONE OF THE WORST STARTING CENTERS IN THE LEAGUE.

I would not be opposed to the Tunsil move but to be honest my dream off-season would be: Sign RG Brandon Scherff, Sign RT Morgan Moses, re-sign Spain and trade up in the draft for Linderbaum.  Might only cost us our 1st and 3rd or 4th depending on how hard he falls.  I honestly like our young backups (Carman, Prince, Smith and even Adeniji).

2022 dream (realistic-ish) OL

LT: Jonah (not a world beater but not a liability, Average)
LG: Spain (solid player)
C: Linderbaum (potential future all-pro C)
RG: Schereff (All-pro RG)
RT: Moses (solid player)

Backup G: Carman (could develop into a good player and takeover for Scherff or Spain in 2023)
Backup T: Smith and Prince (not world-beaters but both still young with potential)
Backup C: Hopkins (vet albeit a below average one)

I am down with this. Gonna have to trade up into the teens to get Linderbaum though, might cost quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
Is tackle the issue? Is it the position that helps this line the most?

I don't think it is.

We need to keep the $$$ in mind. The most useful spending would be on a RG and possibly C. I think you start asking for trouble if you try to replace 3 starters on a line in 1 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:48 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm indifferent to Tunsil, but trading picks to a team in cap hell is my hope for fixing the line. We've got cap room and will for a couple of seasons (when hopefully guys like carman will be ready). But drafting a lineman or two to fix the line is unlikely. Our best bet is either fa or finding a trade partner.

Yes, the Draft is a crapshoot. Need proven players on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am down with this. Gonna have to trade up into the teens to get Linderbaum though, might cost quite a bit.

True the mocks seem to be torn on him.  Centers are hard to project because a lot of teams value them so low.  I've seen mocks where he goes top 12 and mocks where he drops to late 20s.  We should know more by FA signing period.  He would be such a dream pick but like you said it may be a pipe-dream that we get him without giving up a lot. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:55 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: True the mocks seem to be torn on him.  Centers are hard to project because a lot of teams value them so low.  I've seen mocks where he goes top 12 and mocks where he drops to late 20s.  We should know more by FA signing period.  He would be such a dream pick but like you said it may be a pipe-dream that we get him without giving up a lot. 

Linderbaum is a bit undersized, so teams might go away from him for that reason but that doesn't matter a hill of beans to me.

He is the best OL I watched this last season, O-lineman, not just Center. Great run blocker and pass blocker with great technique.

I honestly would trade up for him even if it cost us a bit, he is that good and I haven't been this sure about an OL in a longtime.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Is tackle the issue?  Is it the position that helps this line the most?

I don't think it is.  

We need to keep the $$$ in mind.  The most useful spending would be on a RG and possibly C.  I think you start asking for trouble if you try to replace 3 starters on a line in 1 season.

RT is a big issue  Reiff is past prime and everyone behind him wasnt worth much
Reply/Quote
Not trading draft picks if having to pay that much in salary too.
Would rather pay less than half that for one of the FA OTs and not cost a draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Is tackle the issue?  Is it the position that helps this line the most?

I don't think it is.  

We need to keep the $$$ in mind.  The most useful spending would be on a RG and possibly C.  I think you start asking for trouble if you try to replace 3 starters on a line in 1 season.

You've got 3 spots at least to worry about.
Spain is hitting FA (and some don't think he's good enough), so you could have to find a new starting LG worth a damn.

Reiff is expected to void his contract, making him a FA. There's also some room for improvement with him. So that's another spot the Bengals need to find a starter.

RG is the weakest link right now. It was C for most of the season while Hopkins recovered, but he's playing much better now. Adeniji has not been good and Carman still need groomed. If you're looking for that position to be a camp battle, that's risk for that spot that either of them will be solid-or-better.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 06:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You've got 3 spots at least to worry about.
Spain is hitting FA (and some don't think he's good enough), so you could have to find a new starting LG worth a damn.

Reiff is expected to void his contract, making him a FA. There's also some room for improvement with him. So that's another spot the Bengals need to find a starter.

RG is the weakest link right now. It was C for most of the season while Hopkins recovered, but he's playing much better now. Adeniji has not been good and Carman still need groomed. If you're looking for that position to be a camp battle, that's risk for that spot that either of them will be solid-or-better.

Have to bring back Spain.

Then bring in Brian Allen and Morgan Moses as Synric said. Keep grooming Carman for that RG spot. He will only get better.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 04:44 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Im not sure who needs to hear this but apparently some of you do.  HOPKINS IS ONE OF THE WORST STARTING CENTERS IN THE LEAGUE.

Hopkins is a middle of the pack starter.  He was just not 100% recovered from surgery this year.

He could be upgraded, but he will not be one of the worst starting centers if he returns to form.  So he is not a high priority on my list.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 06:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to bring back Spain.

Then bring in Brian Allen and Morgan Moses as Synric said. Keep grooming Carman for that RG spot. He will only get better.

I'd rather bring in James Daniels over Brian Allen.
Let Daniels cover the RG spot for 2022 then see about moving Daniels to C in 2023 after Hopkins hits FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote