Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turner is out, who is available?
Re Scott Peters - they seem to prefer the younger coaches: Ben Martin, Robert Livingstone, Jordan Kovacs, Dan Pitcher etc are all staying and the likes of Bob Bicknell, Jim Turner, Jemal Singleton all departing.

Is it as simple as preferring a younger, more analytically driven generation of coaches with the old school who grew up with a more hard-nosed approach (both Singleton and Turner are ex-armed forces)?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 04:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: one thing to think about is when Taylor was hired we also gave him the largest coaching staff in team history for support.    And that hasnt paid out well either so i imagine if we are going to be bad we are going to be bad with less coaches.  cause why pay more for the same.

And will MB ever do that again. Zac's failures may be felt for awhile given the "power" and say he got when hired. 

If Zac was successful, his changes could have helped future coaches.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 09:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Marrone would be a great hire as O-line coach (or even OC) if he gets fired from the Jags.  

Jacksonville won 2 playoff games when he was their head coach in 2017.

Bills had their first winning season in 10 years when he was their head coach in 2014.

Saints won a playoff game when he was their OC in 2006.

Jets won playoff games in both '02 and '04 when he was their OL coach.

I have changed my mind.

Shit is about to hit the fan with the UT football program and I want Marrone to be our new head coach (after we get off probation).

He played college ball for the Vols.  So it is not just a pipe dream.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have changed my mind.

Shit is about to hit the fan with the UT football program and I want Marrone to be our new head coach (after we get off probation).

Man, I didn't know you were a UT fan.  I hope for your sake whoever they hire manages to get them back.

Rooting for the Bengals and Volunteers right now?  That's gotta call for a therapist or a 12 pack a game.

At least you got Rick Barnes, but I'm not sure if you're a b-ball fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Rooting for the Bengals and Volunteers right now?  That's gotta call for a therapist or a 12 pack a game.

It goes in phases.

I lived in Colorado for  while so during the 90's my NBA team was the Nuggets and my NFL team was the Bengals.  That was a double nightmare. Only thing that got me through the decade was UT football.

My inside source says that the UT football team is about to get drilled with sanctions.  Pruitt will get the ax.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It goes in phases.

I lived in Colorado for  while so during the 90's my NBA team was the Nuggets and my NFL team was the Bengals.  That was a double nightmare. Only thing that got me through the decade was UT football.

My inside source says that the UT football team is about to get drilled with sanctions.  Pruitt will get the ax.

Nice, I've also lived in Colorado and became a Nuggets fan since I didn't have any NBA loyalties as a Cincinnati guy rooting on the Bengals and Reds.

I'll say this, living in Colorado is interesting just to see how much they love the Broncos. I think the Nuggets could have won a title, but if the Broncos signed a third string QB the same day, that would be the talk of fans throughout the state.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:45 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'll say this, living in Colorado is interesting just to see how much they love the Broncos. I think the Nuggets could have won a title, but if the Broncos signed a third string QB the same day, that would be the talk of fans throughout the state.

The first year I lived there the Nuggets only won 20 games and the Rockies did not even exist.  One time in the middle of the spring John Elway went on a deep sea fishing trip and it was the headline story on the sports page for a solid week.

That entire state was NUTS abut the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The first year I lived there the Nuggets only won 20 games and the Rockies did not even exist.  One time in the middle of the spring John Elway went on a deep sea fishing trip and it was the headline story on the sports page for a solid week.

That entire state was NUTS abut the Broncos.

I did enjoy seeing the passion fans have for the Broncos. It's a nicely run organization.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have changed my mind.

We are not going on probation because two players used a CC but if it gets rid of Pruitt I am all for it maximizing the exposure. Also no thanks on Doug Marrone. His wife is not fan of Tennessee and we have to do better than that on the next hire.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 06:48 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: We are not going on probation because two players used a CC but if it gets rid of Pruitt I am all for it maximizing the exposure.

From what I have heard there is more to it than this.

I am not guaranteeing anything, but my source is reputable.  I knew about the investigation before it was ever made public.
Reply/Quote
Seems like a couple years back Willie was willing to help out the Bengals:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/one-the-greatest-bengals-returns-consulting-role/CppobaQ18UYbLg4R4UEBTJ/
Quote:The best right tackle in Cincinnati Bengals history was on the field tutoring the newest one at training camp Monday.

Willie Anderson, a four-time Pro Bowler who made 173 starts in his 12-year career with the Bengals, will be working with 2015 first-round pick Cedric Ogbuehi and the rest of the offensive linemen in a consulting role through the end of the week.

“I’m not here only to work with Ced, but any guy that needs my advice,” said Anderson, who runs the Willie Anderson Lineman Academy in Atlanta with the help of former Falcons defensive end Chuck Smith.

“It’s always been that way in (Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander’s) room,” Anderson continued. “The older guys help the younger guys and eventually you help them to replace you. That’s the nature of the game.”

Don't know why he wouldn't want to do it now.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems like a couple years back Willie was willing to help out the Bengals:
https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/one-the-greatest-bengals-returns-consulting-role/CppobaQ18UYbLg4R4UEBTJ/

Don't know why he wouldn't want to do it now.

Yeah, I remember that.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From what I have heard there is more to it than this.

I am not guaranteeing anything, but my source is reputable.  I knew about the investigation before it was ever made public.

Yeah I have read a lot of opinions on it and just not buying probation. You post at Volnation?
Reply/Quote
I wonder if UT has any real chance at Arch Manning.

I know Ole Miss and LSU are definitely in the mix. But if they could somehow land that kid that would be huge.
Reply/Quote
So here's some interesting names that have been thrown out:

Scott Peters, Asst. OL coach for the Browns. Apparently Bill Callahan is a fan of him and since Zac didn't get him the first time around, and then ignored Bill the second time, I imagine he'd go with a guy that Bill signs off on.

Frank Pollack. The Jets staff is getting cleaned out and that means Pollack is back on the market. I know he left here when him and Zac "disagreed" on philosophy, but I could see the FO telling Zac to bring him in. We know that Mixon was a fan of Pollack's run scheme.

Aaron Kromer, OL coach for the Rams. Getting Kromer would require permission from the Rams and some sort of promotion, like Asst. OC. He's an Ohio guy and played at Miami (OH). He's been popular wherever he goes as an OL coach. He worked with Zac for a couple of years and we know what that means to Zac. 

The crazy one, Bill Callahan.

As crazy as it sounds, if they got permission from the Browns and offered Callahan some kind of promotion, then Zac could get the OL coach he wanted all along. Back in 2019, it was leaked that Bill wanted to come here and work with his son and Zac. The FO even contemplated trading a pick to Washington to get before ultimately deciding against it. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote