Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Dragon - Bengals may have found their IOL
(12-22-2020, 02:35 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The problem with winning last night is it provides an excuse to once again defer the major surgery needed by this team to become an actual contending franchise.

Honestly, as much as we all love beating the Steelers, winning in week 15 to get to three wins is meaningless other than potentially screwing our draft position.

Unless we win again, we're exactly where we were going into the game...3rd. Never miss an opportunity to beat Shitsburgh. Never.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cheap and easy way out. The Mike Brownest way of thinking.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:55 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Honestly this hasn't happened as much as you think. 2016 probably one time and before that you probably have to go back to 2007ish. 

Probably 2010 when they had gone 10-6 and swept the division the year prior, then only really added TO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:19 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: This is such lazy, cheap, short sided and BS way to react to one game

Yeah the Interior OL is Magically fixed!  Lets make the exception create the rule. 

No wonder this team is a 30 year laughingstock.   Every time they actually play average,  we think we have struck gold

Fools

Thank you, glad someone said it.

Look, admitting that one game, or even a couple of games, is too short of a window to confidently say you've found your group does not have to mean you're against the idea that these guys could, or should return.  It just means you need a much more to go on.  You need a stretch of games, and a whole lot of stuff behind the scenes (practice, scouting, etc.) to come to that conclussion.

And let's all be honest here, we won the game last night because of the defense and turnovers.  It's not like the offense, or offensive line, dominated.

Our running backs averaged a paltry 3.3 yards a carry.  Our QB threw for 89 yards.  We produced a total of 230 yards.  It's not as if we imposed our will offensively.  We took advantage of turnovers and field position to take an early lead, and then went into protect mode for the rest of the game.

Also, this same group played against the Cowboys did they not?  We got shalacked 30-7.  We put up a total of 7 points against the league's worst defense, and that was with a much better Allen at QB for the majority of the game.  We averaged 3.4 a run in that game.  Where was this great group in that game?

Sorry, like Wire22Wire just said, it's absolutely absurd to think you now have your entire interior line shored up because you won a single game, a game in which you produced 230 yards.  It's laughable.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: XSF has been underwelming.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hmm... didn't expect that, based on just watching. Spain graded higher than I anticipated as well. 

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: agreed, and it happens every year

late in the season the players who have been crap all season start playing well, and now everything's fixed

cut to next year and it's bad just like the season before

rinse and repeat

Fred Johnson had one very average start last season and we heard countless things very similar to this, that we had a potential starter there, and at least some serious depth.

Turns out, undrafted rookies who were cut before they even made it a single year with their original teams don't make great building blocks without actual proven success.  Fred Johnson turned out to be what anyone that follows this league knew along.  (A project, who should not be counted on in any way.)
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fred Johnson had one very average start last season and we heard countless things very similar to this, that we had a potential starter there, and at least some serious depth.

Turns out, undrafted rookies who were cut before they even made it a single year with their original teams don't make great building blocks without actual proven success.  Fred Johnson turned out to be what anyone that follows this league knew along.  (A project, who should not be counted on in any way.)

....and he's even worse at guard.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Our running backs averaged a paltry 3.3 yards a carry.  Our QB threw for 89 yards.  We produced a total of 230 yards.

This X 100.  Our offense sucked last night.  

We did not trade for Spain.  He was cut by the Bills.

Su'a-filo has been a back up the last two seasons in Dallas.

I want more quality on our o-line than these guys.
Reply/Quote
More like we may have found our backup IOL.
Reply/Quote
It looked so dramatic because we FINALLY put the two best guards on the team out there at the same time. Spain is far and away our best Guard and right behind him is XSF. MJ and Redmond are crap. It also helped that (once again) we were not using the same blocking scheme we did earlier in the season - especially on runs they fired off the ball and engaged the defense and on the few passes they moved laterally but not a lot of backpedaling.

I still want OL early but by all means sign Spain. Also liquidate Turner.
Reply/Quote
I think that we should draft Sewell in the first round and, if God forbid he's taken before we pick, we should consider the interior position depending on who is available. With that said, I've been very comfortable with XSF and Spain on the inside for the most part. Bringing in some legitimate competition, perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round, wouldn't hurt but I no longer think it's absolutely necessary, which is nice.

We still need to work on the OT position though. Jonah is a good LT, but he's far from elite and he seems to be a bit prone to injury. We'll see how his third year goes, but ending both of his seasons on the injured list is not a great sign. We need Sewell and perhaps 1 more relatively high offensive line pick/free agent signing just to provide depth and insurance from injury.

Oh, and cut Bobby Hart.
Reply/Quote
wait you guys mean we shouldnt over react after 1 game?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:38 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait you guys mean we shouldnt over react after 1 game?

Hell no, this team still has major flaws. What I did like was the intensity and effort. Now do it again, even if you lose.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Thank you, glad someone said it.

Look, admitting that one game, or even a couple of games, is too short of a window to confidently say you've found your group does not have to mean you're against the idea that these guys could, or should return.  It just means you need a much more to go on.  You need a stretch of games, and a whole lot of stuff behind the scenes (practice, scouting, etc.) to come to that conclussion.

And let's all be honest here, we won the game last night because of the defense and turnovers.  It's not like the offense, or offensive line, dominated.

Our running backs averaged a paltry 3.3 yards a carry.  Our QB threw for 89 yards.  We produced a total of 230 yards.  It's not as if we imposed our will offensively.  We took advantage of turnovers and field position to take an early lead, and then went into protect mode for the rest of the game.

Also, this same group played against the Cowboys did they not?  We got shalacked 30-7.  We put up a total of 7 points against the league's worst defense, and that was with a much better Allen at QB for the majority of the game.  We averaged 3.4 a run in that game.  Where was this great group in that game?

Sorry, like Wire22Wire just said, it's absolutely absurd to think you now have your entire interior line shored up because you won a single game, a game in which you produced 230 yards.  It's laughable.

The Cowboys and especially the Steelers were selling out hard vs the run. You can talk about the average per yard carry but mention it was vs 8 box defenders playing down hill every snap...

Sad thing is the Steelers game was the most open I've seen the Bengals receivers deep this season and Finley could not capitalize.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
we need to draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round I do not care what you say

I'd like to bring in a really good free agent guard, but that wont happen
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:22 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I like Spain and think he should be signed. What worries me is Turner will somehow find more ways to play musical chairs and keep trying to play the OLmen out of their natural positions. The OL got better at the end of last year also. Some of that had to do with Johnson's play at OT. So what does Turner do? He makes him an OG. We all know how well that worked out. Its been musical chairs all season. Not a fan of his approach that OLmen can play any OL position.

I like what I saw from them last night but still have 0 faith in Jim Turner. It'll be hard to get any back. Quinton Spain should remain a Bengal though. He's been playing well since we signed him. He's a big dude and can move bodies and open holes.

I think we would be okay with two of the three of them as starters. Maybe Spain could come off the bench?

If we had Sewell, Thuney, Hopkins, XSF, Williams -- the line would be very solid and allow a few of the younger players to establish themselves as quality back-ups
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 04:02 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I think we would be okay with two of the three of them as starters. Maybe Spain could come off the bench?

If we had Sewell, Thuney, Hopkins, XSF, Williams -- the line would be very solid and allow a few of the younger players to establish themselves as quality back-ups

Spain is better than XSF. And I'm not just talking about the Steelers game.
In both of their careers, Spain has been the better, more consistent player.
If anything, XSF should be the backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:44 PM)Synric Wrote: The Cowboys and especially the Steelers were selling out hard vs the run. You can talk about the average per yard carry but mention it was vs 8 box defenders playing down hill every snap...

Sad thing is the Steelers game was the most open I've seen the Bengals receivers deep this season and Finley could not capitalize.

Last night is a much different game with Burrow playing if the defense shows out like that. Hell, probably more points if Allen plays. 

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tyler Dragon, Bengals writer for Enquirer, tweeted out the following about the OL this morning:

I know many of us felt XSF and Spain were the best Gs on the team, but what are your thoughts on Dragon saying that Spain earned another season in Cincy with his play?

If Spain is re-signed, would you feel comfortable with Spain and XSF as the starters for 2021?

I want both back and a draft of a guard to compete and possible mid range FA guard to round out the 4 guards
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think that we should draft Sewell in the first round and, if God forbid he's taken before we pick, we should consider the interior position depending on who is available. With that said, I've been very comfortable with XSF and Spain on the inside for the most part. Bringing in some legitimate competition, perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round, wouldn't hurt but I no longer think it's absolutely necessary, which is nice.

We still need to work on the OT position though. Jonah is a good LT, but he's far from elite and he seems to be a bit prone to injury. We'll see how his third year goes, but ending both of his seasons on the injured list is not a great sign. We need Sewell and perhaps 1 more relatively high offensive line pick/free agent signing just to provide depth and insurance from injury.

Oh, and cut Bobby Hart.

Jonah played well until hurt and am happy with his play.. injuries can be a concern but injuries do happen and people come back, this one was a different injury though.. I guess if Burrow gets hurt again next year, we might have to look to draft another QB for insurance from injury.

Hart should stay on this team  unless we draft a tackle and sign a high price one..., he is the best tackle outside of Jonah we have and PFF rating has improved again this year from all accounts and is not over priced when you compare him with others in his price range. 
Reply/Quote