Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Dragon - Bengals may have found their IOL
(12-22-2020, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tyler Dragon, Bengals writer for Enquirer, tweeted out the following about the OL this morning:

I know many of us felt XSF and Spain were the best Gs on the team, but what are your thoughts on Dragon saying that Spain earned another season in Cincy with his play?

If Spain is re-signed, would you feel comfortable with Spain and XSF as the starters for 2021?

Absolutely not.  I want a young draft pick pushing for the starting spot at RG.  XSF can be the starting LG and we know Jordan will back him up, but I want competition for Spain.  Someone like Jackson Carmon out of Clemson, a mammoth 6'5" 345 road grader, should be available in Rd 3-4.  

No one gets a job by just showing up.  Next year, they need to be healthy and strong or they will get passed by their competition.  I want Adeniji to start practicing guard.  He played guard at the Senior Bowl and I want him to have a chance to develop at a position we could use him.  I hope Turner is the sacrificial lamb.  I don't see us getting Sewell now and I would like to see them slide and get one of the other top OT and put him at RT with Jonah at LT.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Like most I want Sewell. I am not sure about moving JWill to LG or RT but draft the hole you have left. I would love a new all pro type center and a couple should be available to choose from in the 2nd. Hopkins is a below average and can move back to being a backup or even play another year while we groom the replacement if needed This helps whoever is guard as well.

I think SA'F is serviceable and a backup. I think Spain has potential to be a decent RG.
Reply/Quote
Since I haven't given my own take on this yet...

I think Spain is fine to keep and compete for one of the OG spots, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with both Spain and XSF as the starters going into the season next year. I'd look to either draft a Day 2 OG or bring in a good veteran. I think XSF is fine as a depth guy, but there should be clear upgrades over him when it comes to starter. The Bengals are also just 1 injury away from Jordan starting again. I'm fine keeping Jordan as the last OG who is inactive on gamedays, but I'd prefer he never start again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
At the very least the Bengals about draft a IOL in the first 100 this upcoming draft as well as signing a starting guard.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm as happy as anyone that we won, but this is a ridiculous overreaction. We allowed 2 sacks on only 15 dropbacks. We only averaged 3.7 ypc against a team that's completely decimated at LB, and a lot of that success was the Steelers being caught off guard by a couple of runs by Finley.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 06:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since I haven't given my own take on this yet...

I think Spain is fine to keep and compete for one of the OG spots, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with both Spain and XSF as the starters going into the season next year. I'd look to either draft a Day 2 OG or bring in a good veteran. I think XSF is fine as a depth guy, but there should be clear upgrades over him when it comes to starter. The Bengals are also just 1 injury away from Jordan starting again. I'm fine keeping Jordan as the last OG who is inactive on gamedays, but I'd prefer he never start again.

Agree

I didn't read entire thread but if it hasn't already been said the fact of the matter is the Steelers just aren't all of that this season. The 11-0 was fools gold. I'm not changing my opinion of the Oline based on this one game.

Keeping Spain for depth is fine but I'd still love to see at least a couple high level upgrades.
Reply/Quote
I think Bengals should sign Thuney and draft Trey Smith or Slaughter. Spain and Filo good back ups. Get rid of Jordan.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
When are people in Cincinnati going to wake up and realize “good enough” isn’t good enough? Another 30 years?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 06:45 PM)yang Wrote: Like most I want Sewell. I am not sure about moving JWill to LG or RT but draft the hole you have left. I would love a new all pro type center and a couple should be available to choose from in the 2nd. Hopkins is a below average and can move back to being a backup or even play another year while we groom the replacement if needed This helps whoever is guard as well.

I think SA'F is serviceable and a backup. I think Spain has potential to be a decent RG.

Hopkins is not below average.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 03:01 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: This. I will say the interior has been better since XSF and Spain have joined the mix. Also, it was good to see Spain in Okorafor's face after he shoved Mac. He does at least have a bit of a mean streak.

You notice Hopkins just standing there again?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I guess I don't hate it that much, but something more needs to be invested. A new RT is needed. Hopefully it's Sewell.

I also want better depth at G. No more resorting to Redmond. Get another option. I like Chasen Hines from LSU in the 4th. I think MJ needs a year on the bench and in the weight room to develop NFL strength. I don't want to see him starting anytime soon, either. Tackle depth is okay with Adeniji and Fred, I suppose. They can't do what they did last year and fool themselves into thinking that the answers are in-house.

A big reason these guys looked better is the uptick in run plays. Running means aggressive blocking. Passing is more retreat and catch. When Burrow returns, passing will again be the primary focus. We aren't going to be running at last night's clip if he's under center. They probably need to both run a bit more than they did when he was healthy and get players that are better at pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:52 PM)samhain Wrote: I guess I don't hate it that much, but something more needs to be invested.  A new RT is needed.  Hopefully it's Sewell.  

I also want better depth at G.  No more resorting to Redmond.  Get another option.  I like Chasen Hines from LSU in the 4th.  I think MJ needs a year on the bench and in the weight room to develop NFL strength.  I don't want to see him starting anytime soon, either.  Tackle depth is okay with Adeniji and Fred, I suppose.  They can't do what they did last year and fool themselves into thinking that the answers are in-house.

A big reason these guys looked better is the uptick in run plays.  Running means aggressive blocking.  Passing is more retreat and catch.  When Burrow returns, passing will again be the primary focus.  We aren't going to be running at last night's clip if he's under center.  They probably need to both run a bit more than they did when he was healthy and get players that are better at pass blocking.

Yep. More running. Less passes. Less empty backfield.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tyler Dragon, Bengals writer for Enquirer, tweeted out the following about the OL this morning:

I know many of us felt XSF and Spain were the best Gs on the team, but what are your thoughts on Dragon saying that Spain earned another season in Cincy with his play?

If Spain is re-signed, would you feel comfortable with Spain and XSF as the starters for 2021?

Spain has definitely earned an extension, if for nothing else because of his versatility of being able to play just about any position other than center. But we have to bring in more guards. Either through FA or draft. I don't really care who gets the starting job, best man wins, but we cannot go forward with Spain or XFS getting hurt, then having backups like Jordan and Redmond. We need 2 more quality guards at minimum. 
Reply/Quote
If more than one of Spain/XSF/Hopkins are starting next year, the Bengals OL is going to suck again. They are all guys who can be your 5th best OL starter/great backup type guys. You can start 1 of those type of players and get away with it. You can't have more than 1.

Redmond and MJ need to be gone.

Ideally..... you draft Sewell for LT, and sign Thuney and Lindsey to play LG and C. Spain/Hopkins/XSF compete for the RG job. Jonah plays RT.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Everybody keeps saying sign Thuney, like it is a given he will even be available. And if he is, 30 other teams will be after him as well. I'd love to snag him, but they better be looking elsewhere as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If more than one of Spain/XSF/Hopkins are starting next year, the Bengals OL is going to suck again. They are all guys who can be your 5th best OL starter/great backup type guys. You can start 1 of those type of players and get away with it. You can't have more than 1.

Redmond and MJ need to be gone.

Ideally..... you draft Sewell for LT, and sign Thuney and Lindsey to play LG and C. Spain/Hopkins/XSF compete for the RG job.  Jonah plays RT.

Agree

But I'd add Hart and Price to the need to be gone list. Perhaps keep Hart as a backup ?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:32 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If more than one of Spain/XSF/Hopkins are starting next year, the Bengals OL is going to suck again. They are all guys who can be your 5th best OL starter/great backup type guys. You can start 1 of those type of players and get away with it. You can't have more than 1.

This.  So much this.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

But I'd add Hart and Price to the need to be gone list. Perhaps keep Hart as a backup ?

Hart's cap hit is $6.9 mill next year. I wouldn't pay that much for a backup.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps saying sign Thuney, like it is a given he will even be available. And if he is, 30 other teams will be after him as well. I'd love to snag him, but they better be looking elsewhere as well.

I don't think Thuney is realistic, as you said.
I'm hoping for Warford, whose asking price was $7 mill APY last offseason before he opted out.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:37 PM)jason Wrote: You notice Hopkins just standing there again?

I did not....I couldn't pick out a lot of the numbers. I just saw Spain getting in his face and separating them on the replay.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote