Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Dragon - Bengals may have found their IOL
(12-23-2020, 10:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps saying sign Thuney, like it is a given he will even be available. And if he is, 30 other teams will be after him as well. I'd love to snag him, but they better be looking elsewhere as well.

Certainly won't be 30 other teams after him. The real key here is the salary cap reduction for 2021. It has been going up ~$10m/yr, and yet this offseason it's projected to go DOWN ~$23m. 

As it stands right now, there's already 10 teams in negative cap space for 2021 and another 4 with $1-10m in cap space. That's with only about 40 players under contract each, on average. So not even a full roster.

There's going to be a pretty decent sized purge of players from teams this offseason as teams get under the cap, and only about 1/3rd of the NFL teams will have the cap space to sign the bigger FAs. The Bengals are among that 1/3rd. They're 6th in cap space for 2021 and that's not even counting no-brainer cuts like Bobby Hart ($5.9m saved), CJ Uzomah ($5.3m saved) and others.

(12-23-2020, 10:42 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

But I'd add Hart and Price to the need to be gone list. Perhaps keep Hart as a backup ?

I think you have to get rid of Hart to make space for FA OL. Cutting Hart saves $5.9m in cap space.

Honestly I forgot Price was even a thing, hence his exclusion. Looked it up and while his savings is less, they still save $2.1m in cap space cutting him, too.

So there you go. Hart and Price gone and it saves $8m, that's a good chunk of what it'll cost to sign at least 1 FA OL already covered. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Certainly won't be 30 other teams after him. The real key here is the salary cap reduction for 2021. It has been going up ~$10m/yr, and yet this offseason it's projected to go DOWN ~$23m. 

As it stands right now, there's already 10 teams in negative cap space for 2021 and another 4 with $1-10m in cap space. That's with only about 40 players under contract each, on average. So not even a full roster.

There's going to be a pretty decent sized purge of players from teams this offseason as teams get under the cap, and only about 1/3rd of the NFL teams will have the cap space to sign the bigger FAs. The Bengals are among that 1/3rd. They're 6th in cap space for 2021 and that's not even counting no-brainer cuts like Bobby Hart ($5.9m saved), CJ Uzomah ($5.3m saved) and others.

I think you have to get rid of Hart to make space for FA OL. Cutting Hart saves $5.9m in cap space.

Honestly I forgot Price was even a thing, hence his exclusion. Looked it up and while his savings is less, they still save $2.1m in cap space cutting him, too.

So there you go. Hart and Price gone and it saves $8m, that's a good chunk of what it'll cost to sign at least 1 FA OL already covered. 

Why Hart? He's actually been struggling to playing solid
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:11 AM)Trademark Wrote: Why Hart? He's actually been struggling to playing solid

Partly because if you have Sewell and Jonah, you don't need Hart.
Partly because I don't want a guy that has to struggle to be "solid". I want a good OL to protect the franchise QB. (I would also argue he's not solid.)
Mostly because these...

(That was just a very light effort to find ones from just this year. By no means a complete showing.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Partly because if you have Sewell and Jonah, you don't need Hart.
Partly because I don't want a guy that has to struggle to be "solid". I want a good OL to protect the franchise QB. (I would also argue he's not solid.)
Mostly because these...

(That was just a very light effort to find ones from just this year. By no means a complete showing.)

Exactly

Hart is at very best (and this is being nice) an average starter. I want to get at least to the very good starter level at RT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: (That was just a very light effort to find ones from just this year. By no means a complete showing.)

Only 4 sacks allowed for an entire season is excellent.

How many available free agents OTs have allowed fewer?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Hart's cap hit is $6.9 mill next year. I wouldn't pay that much for a backup.

Agree, cut him
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:59 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: It's what bad teams do and it's what a desperate fanbase clings to.  To beat the Steelers on MNF is awesome and I won't take that away.  But you'd swear with the swagger around here that we just won the Superbowl.  We've won THREE games this year.  We've won FIVE games in nearly two full seasons under Zac.  We've yet to win a road game, yet to put together a string of any kind that matters.  We put 230 total yards on the field last night.  

A win feels great.  Every time.  A win on MNF in front of the nation gives some credibility.  A win over the Steelers feels even better.  But there is real danger that the org rests on their laurels after last night, regardless of what the next two games look like, and continues on status quo for next year.

Celebrate.  Piss on your neighbor's Steeler's flag.  Enjoy the feeling.  But demand that this team gives us that feeling more than once every other month through the football season.

To the original thread topic... I think they've found their interior OL.  For the remainder of this season.  And then they need to address it and bulk it in the offseason.  

"I think they've found their interior OL.  For the remainder of this season.  And then they need to address it and bulk it in the offseason.  " - that's how I read it   :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think Thuney is realistic, as you said.
I'm hoping for Warford, whose asking price was $7 mill APY last offseason before he opted out.

Yeah, Thuney and Scherff are pipe dreams. Warford is probably the best we can hope for.

Reply/Quote
A line of (Left to Right): Sewell, XSF, Hopkins, Spain, & Willaims would be pretty good. Certainly multitudes better than anything sent out there the last 4 seasons.

Buuuut, dream scenario...

Add in Thuney at LG and then let Spain & XSF fight for 1st string/depth while bringing along the depth and that may be the best Bengals line in the last 20-30 years with it still being a relatively young group.

Add in a resigning of Price cheap as a backup G.

After the off-season cuts, the Bengals will certainly have the money to do the above. I actually think that is a realistic scenario.

For those saying Thuney is unrealistic, I disagree. He actually wants to leave NE and would absolutely play here with even a close to competitive offer (I know the family quite well and have met Joe several times) and the Bengals NEED to beef up the line with Burrow coming back from injury. The Bengals know this.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 4 sacks allowed for an entire season is excellent.

How many available free agents OTs have allowed fewer?

But ‘Elite Andy Dalton’ complained about it on Twitter. He isn’t complaining about other RTs in the league... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 10:51 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I did not....I couldn't pick out a lot of the numbers. I just saw Spain getting in his face and separating them on the replay.

Yeah... Hopkins was right there. I only paid attention because of his comments after the Miami dust up. I mean he doesn't have to be swinging if that's not him, but at least pretend to care that a guy had the gumption to push Alexander like that in that spot. It's not like they didn't do the same thing to Burrow weeks ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: agreed, and it happens every year

late in the season the players who have been crap all season start playing well, and now everything's fixed

cut to next year and it's bad just like the season before

rinse and repeat

WhoDey2 Yep, that's what's known around here as the "The Dead Cat Bounce"...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 11:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, Thuney and Scherff are pipe dreams. Warford is probably the best we can hope for.

Just a reminder that we traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league just 2 years ago.

The injury to Burrow was a public relations nightmare.  I think the Bengals will invest soem serious resources to the O-line this offseason.  Either a first round draft pick or a solid established starter in free agency. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just a reminder that we traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league just 2 years ago.

The injury to Burrow was a public relations nightmare.  I think the Bengals will invest soem serious resources to the O-line this offseason.  Either a first round draft pick or a solid established starter in free agency. 

Until they prove otherwise history says they won’t pay guards.

Reply/Quote
Step one still has to be firing Turner. Otherwise he will just ruin Sewell - who remember sat this year out so coaching up will be an essential.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Until they prove otherwise history says they won’t pay guards.

This is just not true.

When Boling got his last contract it made him the 11th highest paid OG in the league.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 04:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is just not true.

When Boling got his last contract it made him the 11th highest paid OG in the league.

I think the fans would like someone who will be paid like a Top 10 OG, which would be $10+ mill a year.
The Bengals, to date, have not paid an IOL $10+ mill a year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I am all for extending Spain as quickly as possible.

He is a tremendous upgrade over the rest of the roster at guard, and he was successful kicking out to RT in an emergency.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 05:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the fans would like someone who will be paid like a Top 10 OG, which would be $10+ mill a year.
The Bengals, to date, have not paid an IOL $10+ mill a year.

Exactly. My post that Fred responded to was talking about guys like Thuney and Scherff.

Reply/Quote
When was the last time the Bengals had a consistent 100+ yards per game runner? That’s bad run blocking. That’s costing this team lots of wins.
Reply/Quote