Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Chance Dalton & Green are Gone In 2020.
How honest do you think AJ is about his current injury? He missed the whole damn year and much of the one before it. Just asking as a concerned Bungles fan. He'es either oft injured/old WR by any other historical standards ,or he was lying to protect himself, which by his quotes, we can tell he would do. Maybe we don't care if he's a liar since he produces....when he wants to. Hell there were many poorly thrown balls that AJ had a hand in being picked off, I'll put it that way lol. It's hard to be a Brady and give up much of your maximum salary to "win".
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If AJ Green catches 70 passes for 1,200 yards, and scores 12 TDs, that would be fantastic.  There's no need to key him on every drop back, forcing the ball to him repeatedly just sets him up for injury.  I'm not saying don't throw to him, just use him more efficiently and effectively, by incorporating the rest of the weapons into the offense.  Just his presence on the field creates mismatch opportunities for other receivers, on every play.

His YPR would have to go way up to hit those numbers. He's been a pretty consistant 15 YPC guy. 70 catches will most likely fall in line with his career average, which would put you at 1k and change. 

At 23 he caught 65 balls for 1057, at 26 he caught 69 for 1047, at 28 he caught 66 for 984 and at 29 he caught 75 for 1078.

12 TDs would also be a career high. He caught 11 on 97 catches, 11 on 98 catches, and 10 on 86.

So you would need to see career highs both in YPR and TD's to achieve that. And at age 32, playing with a rookie QB, on a team coming off a last place finish.

The only way he sees those numbers, and proves to be worth his contract, is through heavy usage.

I mean if you guys want him, then more power to you. I think it's a terrible investment in a rebuilding year, for an aging, often injured player. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. But for that to happen we need to see AJ Green numbers from 2015. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Ram's high powered offense that we took Zac Taylor from didn't feature a lot of throwing to the TEs.  In the passing game, they tried to always have receivers at 3 levels of the defense.  They like to sharp shoot to the one in mid depth level to lull the deep coverage to sleep, then burn 'em with the deep ball.  Worked really well in 2018, when they had an outstanding OL, rushing attack, and everyone bought the play action fake.

Both of their TEs are good players, both sure handed receivers and excellent blockers, just not a lot of designed targets for them in that particular offense.  I'm thinking that the Drew Sample pick was basically play the same role that Tyler Higbee does with the Rams.  (Just not a 3nd round pick, with so many other, more serious needs..) 

Yeah, I get that but still, using TE's in the passing game is a trend now for the best teams. I would like us to lean that way 
more and use Mixon specifically in the passing game more. Plus we are paying Gio a lot of dough to not do much, have said
many times that we should put both Mixon and Gio in the game at the same time more as both are very good catching the
ball and can make Defenders miss and it makes us less predictable on Offense.

Sure hope Sample works out cause using a 2nd on him was a high pick if not.

(03-01-2020, 06:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Then why pay him like a player that does that?

It makes no sense to pay a WR elite money that isn't a focal point in the pass game. If you're worried that he can't do it then you've just made the argument that keeping him on a high dollar salary is, at best, extremely risky. At worst, incredibly stupid.

Yeah, I think we all want him to be elite. If not then they just overpaid.

Just don't force the ball to AJ is all I think Sunset is saying.

Dalton has forced it to him in the past resulting in bad instances.
Reply/Quote
I like AJ as much as any Bengal fan, but I wish they’d let him go. As deep and talented as this WR class coming out is, I think we can afford to get some picks for him. But what do I know. I know we have more glaring holes on our roster, but if we got a stud WR in the draft, he could be paired up with Burrow just like Andy and AJ were
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: His YPR would have to go way up to hit those numbers. He's been a pretty consistant 15 YPC guy. 70 catches will most likely fall in line with his career average, which would put you at 1k and change. 

At 23 he caught 65 balls for 1057, at 26 he caught 69 for 1047, at 28 he caught 66 for 984 and at 29 he caught 75 for 1078.

12 TDs would also be a career high. He caught 11 on 97 catches, 11 on 98 catches, and 10 on 86.

So you would need to see career highs both in YPR and TD's to achieve that. And at age 32, playing with a rookie QB, on a team coming off a last place finish.

The only way he sees those numbers, and proves to be worth his contract, is through heavy usage.

I mean if you guys want him, then more power to you. I think it's a terrible investment in a rebuilding year, for an aging, often injured player. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. But for that to happen we need to see AJ Green numbers from 2015. 

I guess that you missed the part about throwing to the other receivers more often will save the wear and tear, and the other receivers getting more mismatch opportunities due to AJ commanding attention?  I'll even add to that, that I fully believe that Joe will be much better at moving around, extending the play, and finding a guy like AJ Green 40 yards down field.  Andy showed just a little bit of that, in his first couple of seasons, but then either he got away or the coaches led him away from doing that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I get that but still, using TE's in the passing game is a trend now for the best teams. I would like us to lean that way 
more and use Mixon specifically in the passing game more. Plus we are paying Gio a lot of dough to not do much, have said
many times that we should put both Mixon and Gio in the game at the same time more as both are very good catching the
ball and can make Defenders miss and it makes us less predictable on Offense.

Sure hope Sample works out cause using a 2nd on him was a high pick if not.

Just don't force the ball to AJ is all I think Sunset is saying.

Dalton has forced it to him in the past resulting in bad instances.

Well, deciding to use the TE more as a receiver has to come from Taylor/Callahan, as they are the ones who create the offensive plan, and call the plays.

And yes, I didn't mean don't throw the ball to AJ if he is open, just don't force feed it his direction every damn play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 07:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: His YPR would have to go way up to hit those numbers. He's been a pretty consistant 15 YPC guy. 70 catches will most likely fall in line with his career average, which would put you at 1k and change. 

I have yet to see 1 sign the FO thinks it is a rebuilding year. If the trade Geno, Dunlap AJ and other aging vets then we know, but I don;t think the FO thinks rebuilding year, but you do regardless of the evidence against it to date.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote