Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update On Burrow's Extension
Cincy Jungle posted an update on Burrow's extension negotiations, but there's not a whole lot to it that we don't already know.

It's funny because lately I've been thinking how stupid it is for these quarterback(s) to get such massive deals that cripple their team and don't give their teams much room to improve the team, especially because they're making more money than they'll ever be able to spend. Burrow actually seems like he's willing to try and help the team, even if it means taking less money or at least structuring it to help the team, but I honestly wouldn't have been that upset if he did go for the big money that would cripple the team.

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals are in the middle of the race to get their quarterback extended.

As Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson, Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert, and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts are all waiting for new contracts, it would be in the best interest of the Bengals to get Burrow’s deal done first.

Over the weekend, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler (via Bleacher Report) mentioned that the “process is underway” for Burrow’s next contract.

“The process is underway,” Fowler reported on the show, adding the Bengals plan “to do this early, just three years into his rookie deal, to try to spread out that salary-cap hit.”

It sounds like Burrow realizes that he'll extend his career and still make more money than he'll ever need and is looking to get his contract done before the others can sign and set the market where he needs to one-up them, even if he is the best of the bunch.

I'd almost offer him a small percentage ownership so he can still get paid a few million a year after he retires, but I know the Browns probably wouldn't do that and I don't know if that value would count against the salary cap, although I don't know how they'd compute that.

Quote:“Early” is used because the Bengals have control over Burrow’s rights for the next two seasons at least. Burrow’s fifth-year option would certainly be picked up and the Bengals could use the franchise tag to retain his rights for an additional two seasons beyond that.

Obviously, none of the parties involved want it to come to that. Players mostly prefer long-term security over the one year, high cap hit that the franchise tag brings. From an organizational standpoint, the last thing Cincinnati wants is to be in the situation Baltimore currently finds itself in with Jackson.

Looking at the decisions the front office has made recently, from the Paycor Stadium naming rights deal to Orlando Brown Jr.’s front-loaded contract, it is easy to see that the Bengals are making financial decisions with Burrow’s contract in mind.

I like that we're trying to get it done early so he knows that we're not messing around because, I know we're usually loyal to our players, but, IMCO, this lets him know that he's pretty much in control.

More smart decisions by the front office.

Not much more in the article besides for this:

Quote:Realistically, we could see Burrow sign a deal that breaks NFL records for both full contract value and guarantees. On the other hand, would it shock any of us to see Burrow take a deal that allows him to keep his supporting cast around him?

I mentioned that before and is also mentions how we're turning down calls about Tee, which that could be trying to drive the price up or keeping the squad together and keeping Burrow happy.

I LOVE THIS KID!
Reply/Quote
Well, another incentive to get it done early is so another QB can't set the market. Like say Herbert gets a fully guaranteed contract.

I doubt that Burrow takes too much of a discount. But, doing it now does allow the cap hit to be spread out somewhat.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd almost offer him a small percentage ownership so he can still get paid a few million a year after he retires, but I know the Browns probably wouldn't do that and I don't know if that value would count against the salary cap, although I don't know how they'd compute that.

I'm pretty sure that would not be within the rules to get around the cap.  If it was even allowed at all.   Just like they couldn't negotiate a contract for say $1 million with a player and then buy the player $10 million in real estate or a bunch of A1A Car Washes in Albuquerque, or a laser tag business to get around cap rules.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 04:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, another incentive to get it done early is so another QB can't set the market. Like say Herbert gets a fully guaranteed contract.

I doubt that Burrow takes too much of a discount. But, doing it now does allow the cap hit to be spread out somewhat.

I agree but setting the market could also work out in his favor.

I'm not saying he takes a huge discount but I feel like he'll do what he can to help the team.

I wonder if the other quarterbacks get pissed if he does set the market and it's not as big as they wanted.
Reply/Quote
Can you give a no cut contract that doesn’t all count as guaranteed money that you have to put in escrow?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 05:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can you give a no cut contract that doesn’t all count as guaranteed money that you have to put in escrow?

Probably not.  I mean that is essentially what a guaranteed contract is anyway.  It guarantees the player money even if they get released or injured.  So in your no cut contract I guess they are protected from being cut?  So what happens if say Player A signs a 2 year $10 million a year contract no guaranteed money.  Then Player A injures themselves on the first day of practice and can never play again?   Does the team have to keep them on the team for two years because it was a no cut contract?   If not then it is the same as a guaranteed money contract.

I mean trying to figure out ways to navigate the salary cap is interesting but I'm fairly certain that billionaire owners and their high paid attorneys have probably already explored every possible work around already.    :)

But if you want to make things even more interesting, Florio over at PFT is suggesting that the escrow thing may not even be mandatory. Because the CBA language says "may" and not "shall".  Apparently the Browns have not confirmed if they put Watson's money in escrow or not. But remember this is click view Florio we are talking about.  

Quote:The section on “Funding of Deferred and Guaranteed Contracts” appears at page 178 of the CBA. It begins like this: “The NFL may require that by a prescribed date certain, each Club must deposit into a segregated account . . . .”

One of the first things they teach you in law school is the difference between the words “may” and “shall.” The first is permissive. The second is mandatory.
So if it’s “may,” it’s not required. The NFL doesn’t have to do it.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 05:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Can you give a no cut contract that doesn’t all count as guaranteed money that you have to put in escrow?

According to pft, it isn't clear if they actually need to put the money in escrow. 
Reply/Quote
https://russellstreetreport.com/2023/04/02/lombardis-way/the-funding-rule/

Explains the funding rule and why it is a big problem. Basically unless you're loaded like Jerry jones or Jimmy Haslam the escrow requirements will start to kill franchises where the owners are less opulently loaded. Florio is getting it wrong because it is not a CBA rule it is a league rule the owners voted into existence back a while ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 06:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: https://russellstreetreport.com/2023/04/02/lombardis-way/the-funding-rule/

Explains the funding rule and why it is a big problem. Basically unless you're loaded like Jerry jones or Jimmy Haslam the escrow requirements will start to kill franchises where the owners are less opulently loaded. Florio is getting it wrong because it is not a CBA rule it is a league rule the owners voted into existence back a while ago.

It’s a stupid rule and they need to get rid of it although I’m sure they voted it in so they could limit the amount of guaranteed money.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I like Pat Kirwen's take on it. Make his contract a percentage of the cap. He gets say 17% of the cap for his contract. Cap goes up so does his salary.
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is all about winning. He is not the type of person who will break a team’s bank to enrich only himself only to lose other key players and end up with a losing record.

Many other great quarterbacks in history, like Tom Brady in New England, received team friendly contracts yet they still made a large amount of dough. On great teams like Cincinnati there are multiple superstars in the lineup and all will need paid. Don’t think Burrow hasn’t discussed this with the likes of Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:46 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is all about winning.  He is not the type of person who will break a team’s bank to enrich only himself only to lose other key players and end up with a losing record.

Meh, even if Burrow were to get paid as much as the market says he deserves, I still can't imagine him putting up losing seasons as QB in this league.  He can get a contract like Watson because unlike Watson, he's worth it.
Reply/Quote
He will set the market but he will make it a team friendly structure.

The guaranteed money escrow thing is stupid rule. You can do large roster bonuses and restructure with big signing bonus to get away with it and put the large guaranteed money towards the later years so burrow has security of he is cut (obviously would never happen) or injured.

I also think talks will ramp up now because had he signed a new contract before apri! The escrow !money would have had to go in straight away but now its past in to April they wom't have o put the guaranteed money in escrow until next year so get a whole extra year of income
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:41 AM)gman657 Wrote: He will set the market but he will make it a team friendly structure.

The guaranteed money escrow thing is stupid rule. You can do large roster bonuses and restructure with big signing bonus to get away with it and put the large guaranteed money towards the later years so burrow has security of he is cut (obviously would never happen) or injured.

I also think talks will ramp up now because had he signed a new contract before apri! The escrow !money would have had to go in straight away but now its past in to April they wom't have o put the guaranteed money in escrow until next year so get a whole extra year of income

I still don't see why Burrow would sign a contract before the 2023 season, and anyone here who thinks he should is being biased and talking about what they want to have happen rather than what should happen.

Burrow is in a good spot to get a huge contract right now, but don't we all expect him to have a good shot at wining the SB and the MVP this year?  We expect Burrow to assert himself as a world champion and the cream of the NFL crop in 2023, but we also want him to take a deal before he does that?  Oh well, it's nice to be this spoiled as fans I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:46 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is all about winning. He is not the type of person who will break a team’s bank to enrich only himself only to lose other key players and end up with a losing record.

Many other great quarterbacks in history, like Tom Brady in New England, received team friendly contracts yet they still made a large amount of dough. On great teams like Cincinnati there are multiple superstars in the lineup and all will need paid. Don’t think Burrow hasn’t discussed this with the likes of Ja’Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.

Brady is such a bad example of a QB taking a team friendly deal. He was married to a Super model who is worth $400 million dollars. Easy to leave money on the table in a situation like that.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Brady is such a bad example of a QB taking a team friendly deal. He was married to a Super model who is worth $400 million dollars. Easy to leave money on the table in a situation like that.

Also helps when you've already won 2 of them.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:53 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Also helps when you've already won 2 of them.

Brady won two super models?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Brady won two super models?

Yes, remember Bridget Moynahan?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:31 AM)Joelist Wrote: Yes, remember Bridget Moynahan?

Hmm, guess not.  Anyways, is Burrow seeing anyone seriously?  We need to find him one of those women who don't like money.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 11:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, guess not.  Anyways, is Burrow seeing anyone seriously?  We need to find him one of those women who don't like money.

Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote