Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update on Indoor Practice Facility
(03-30-2022, 01:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is actually humungous news...not for the fact that they are building a practice facility (which is still pretty big) but for the fact that this basically puts to bed any rumors or rumblings that they will be leaving the city once PBS lease is up in a few years.

Good point, but I also think it's huge in the fact that it shows that this front office is different. They'd changed in many ways, but some of the old sticking points (facility, small scouting dept, no ROH), were still around.

This front office has finally changed, and us older folks need to stop looking at them like they're the same old Mike Brown Bengals. Those days are dead and gone.

Btw, should be interesting to see how some will flip flop on this. All I heard for years is that we don't need one, players should practice outside, UC's facility was fine, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 01:15 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Is that even a thing? I haven't heard anything about that.

Great news on the facility. Let's see them start building it though. Says they are looking into it. 

Fair enough. Ol' Hobs reported that they were looking back in 2011.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When the stadium was built, they said it was able to be fitted with a dome. Could you imagine Burrow and McPherson in a dome throwing and kicking for eight home games.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:44 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: When the stadium was built, they said it was able to be fitted with a dome. Could you imagine Burrow and McPherson in a dome throwing and kicking for eight home games.

I think we’d lose an advantage
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 05:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think we’d lose an advantage

Outside of the 81 Freezer Bowl vs the Chargers I'm not sure we really have that much of an advantage.  We are the southernmost in our division. 

I agree with Bong that Joe, the receivers, and Shooter would excel.

Reply/Quote
So it took about a decade and a change in leadership, but the Bengals eventually capitulated to Carson’s demands?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 05:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think we’d lose an advantage

In the old days, you might be right, but it has become a passing league, so it's not as much of "a line up and pound it down their throats" league/division.

Plus, we only would have the advantage for the end of the year, and it's more important to keep our players healthy and out of the cold.

Our team is good enough where we don't need advantages anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, but I also think it's huge in the fact that it shows that this front office is different. They'd changed in many ways, but some of the old sticking points (facility, small scouting dept, no ROH), were still around.

This front office has finally changed, and us older folks need to stop looking at them like they're the same old Mike Brown Bengals. Those days are dead and gone.

Btw, should be interesting to see how some will flip flop on this. All I heard for years is that we don't need one, players should practice outside, UC's facility was fine, etc.

Hallelujah Hallelujah, hallelujah, halleelujah, hallelujah
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We need a new dome stadium, resolves both issues as it gives us the ability to practice indoors, add a retractable roof even better. This way we still have both the 2 outdoor practice fields and inside a dome to practice.

Our stadium is outdated, kill 2 birds with one stone.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 05:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: In the old days, you might be right, but it has become a passing league, so it's not as much of "a line up and pound it down their throats" league/division.

Plus, we only would have the advantage for the end of the year, and it's more important to keep our players healthy and out of the cold.

Our team is good enough where we don't need advantages anymore.

I'm missing your point here. A passing league needs to be in the elements. Wind and freezing temps make a difference in how a person throws/catches a ball. That ball get's stiff and slippery when freezing outside. It also gets lighter. Practicing indoors does not help the situation.

WTS, I do think we need an indoor practice facility. But I also like the idea that we will have the outdoor as well to prepare for ALL elements.

Reply/Quote
Players need some exposure to the cold and wet conditions if they are going to be playing in the cold and wet.

But working outside in extremely cold weather wears down the body quicker. A lot of energy is needed just to keep the body warm. So when you practice out in the cold you can't work as hard or get in as many reps without wearing the players down more. And cold air is dryer, so if it is REALLY cold breathing hard can cause irritation to the throat and lungs. I lived in Boulder Colorado for a while. A lot of elite athletes train there. But if they pushed it too hard when it was too cold they would actually develop bronchitis.

So you need to balance both. You need an outdoor field to get used to playing in the elements. But you also need an indoor facility so you can get in more reps and harder practices.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:44 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: When the stadium was built, they said it was able to be fitted with a dome. Could you imagine Burrow and McPherson in a dome throwing and kicking for eight home games.

I'm not sure if it can be fitted as a dome.  I remember the original plan called for an open air stadium, but the top of the stadium was to have a tent like look...not fully covered, just pieces of tent.  The Bengals ultimately ditched that look presumedly for cost reasons I think.  Don't know if anyone could find the original architect drawing.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, but I also think it's huge in the fact that it shows that this front office is different. They'd changed in many ways, but some of the old sticking points (facility, small scouting dept, no ROH), were still around.

Some, including me, still feel this way.  But the point made earlier about this seeming to imply the Bengals have long term ambitions in Cincinnati is encouraging.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 02:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm looking forward to hearing Pat McAfee's take on this.

He basically said effing finally, you probably had to be shamed into doing it. Yada yada.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 07:07 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Some, including me, still feel this way.  But the point made earlier about this seeming to imply the Bengals have long term ambitions in Cincinnati is encouraging.

I think as long as the Browns have control of the Bengals they will stay in Cincinnati.  Katie and her brother Paul as well as Troy Blackburn and all their children were all born and raised in Cincinnati.  However, getting a stadium deal in 10 years or so could put the stadium in Kentucky, Indiana, or the suburbs instead of downtown.

The biggest threat to the Browns' continued ownership is cash.  While extremely wealthy, their major assets are tied up in the team. I am assuming that Mike Brown has already put in place the mechanisms to protect Katie and Paul from the massive inheritance taxes that have forced the sales of at least 3 teams.  The Haslams upped the cash ante with the Watson contract and in the long run it will be difficult for the Browns to be able to put hundreds of millions of dollars in escrow to pay off crazy contracts.  Add on building an indoor practice facility and having to kick in personal/team money for a new stadium down the line and ultimately they may not be able to afford all of that without heavy borrowing against the team

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis right now watching the Bengals sign multiple good FAs multiple seasons in a row and talking about building an indoor practice facility soon:

[Image: tom-delonge.jpg]

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Earlier today, Tony Pike and Austin Elmore were saying that the initial contract for the Hilltop Resources property seemed to allude to it being a future spot for a practice facility. I guess there have been some hold ups over that property, so seems like practice facility will end up being in a different location. That would of been super convenient for the team to have the facility literally right across the street.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 05:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So it took about a decade and a change in leadership, but the Bengals eventually capitulated to Carson’s demands?

...and Carson will probably still find a way to whine and pretend this org isn't vastly different than it was in 2007.

(03-30-2022, 07:07 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Some, including me, still feel this way.  But the point made earlier about this seeming to imply the Bengals have long term ambitions in Cincinnati is encouraging.

There is a time to practice outdoors and times where you should practice indoors.

If the game is outdoors, as most are, practice outdoors, as long as the conditions aren't too ridiculous and somewhat match what they'll be playing in.

That said, practicing on an icy field in freezing cold is pretty dumb if you have a dome game coming up. Which happened before one of our playoff games against the Texans.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I'm missing your point here. A passing league needs to be in the elements. Wind and freezing temps make a difference in how a person throws/catches a ball. That ball get's stiff and slippery when freezing outside. It also gets lighter. Practicing indoors does not help the situation.

WTS, I do think we need an indoor practice facility. But I also like the idea that we will have the outdoor as well to prepare for ALL elements.

They're professionals and most of them have done it at some point in their lives.

The wind and temps will never be the same, especially in Cincinnati. It was raining and snowing the past few days and it's in the 70s today.

They can get the hang of catching in the cold in warm-ups or even have a few practices in the elements, but it's better not to be in it every day of practice.
Reply/Quote
For those clamoring for a dome, it's interesting that Buffalo announced they are building a new multi-billion dollar open air stadium.
Reply/Quote