Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
(08-23-2022, 07:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 3 holding calls in a quarter clearly indicates that he was being overwhelmed by his man.  Even if you dismiss one of the calls as a bad call by the official, two calls is still way too many.  Hopefully they can get him cleaned up, build his confidence back up, and get him settled down.

I thought he was terrible for a stretch, he seemed to settle down. I'll give hm the benefit of the doubt - 1st game back, was injured, was put at guard and now back to tackle.... yada yada, hope he shows much improvement this next preseason game.

Reply/Quote
Solomon Wilcots weighs in on the LG situation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/solomon-wilcots-weighs-in-on-bengals-left-guard-competition/ar-AA10YWGC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6078ddf09e3e4fb1be129bef33881c22

Quote:"I think he (Volson) beats out Jackson Carman," Solomon Wilcots said without hesitation. "Cordell is going to win the job and the reason why is because I see him as the most eager, he is the most aggressive. He loves the competition, he loves the physicality of the competition, he loves being an offensive lineman."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
"This guy (Volson) is a poster guy for glass-eaters," Wilcots said. "I think we're gonna have four new starters on the offensive line."

Hmmm, what about Carman? He lacks passion for the game? Quite a statement by Wilcots who I always thought had good connections to the Bengals.
Glass eater is a prerequisite for a Bengal lineman.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 04:26 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: "This guy (Volson) is a poster guy for glass-eaters," Wilcots said. "I think we're gonna have four new starters on the offensive line."

Hmmm, what about Carman?  He lacks passion for the game?  Quite a statement by Wilcots who I always thought had good connections to the Bengals.

I think that much is obvious since it seems as though he somehow regressed in the off-season. As a second year player, that's a huge warning sign and the bells are definitely going off in the front office and coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 01:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is neither Volson or Carman are #1 LGs at this point.  They are more like backup #2 LGs.

(08-22-2022, 01:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that the team would agree with the first bolded.  

It wouldn't surprise me as this is the same Bengals team who thought the O-line was OK before the season started last year when many of us knew it wasn't OK. They were horrible and it showed on the field

If the Bengals organization really thinks Volson and Carmen are 1a and 1b starters right now they haven't been watching the preseason games. Volson and/or Carman could end up being good football players but right now they both need a lot of improvement
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Solomon Wilcots weighs in on the LG situation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/solomon-wilcots-weighs-in-on-bengals-left-guard-competition/ar-AA10YWGC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6078ddf09e3e4fb1be129bef33881c22

I wish the reasoning was more, "because he's that damn good" as opposed to being the most eager/aggressive.
But we're at where we're at, I guess.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 04:26 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: "This guy (Volson) is a poster guy for glass-eaters," Wilcots said. "I think we're gonna have four new starters on the offensive line."

Hmmm, what about Carman?  He lacks passion for the game?  Quite a statement by Wilcots who I always thought had good connections to the Bengals.

What does glass eater really mean?

I've always thought it means being a gritty mauler in the run game.

I want someone who can be a stud pass protector above anything else.
I don't care if they're a "glass eater" or not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What does glass eater really mean?

A person who eats glass
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I just watched the latest Bengals on the brain episode. I have to say I feel a little less confident in Volson after watching. Not that he was ragging on him just seeing a breakdown of his game it mightve been even a little more shaky then I realised. I'm really hoping we add somebody else here before the season. Not saying Volson or Carman won't still potentially get the starting job and do well I just think we shouldn't go into the season with a potential weakness at LG.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 03:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Solomon Wilcots weighs in on the LG situation.

This is interesting.  I generally respect Soly's opinion.  

I just wish he had said Volson could win the job based on stronger blocking skills instead of stronger emotions.

"He loves the competition, he loves the physicality of the competition, he loves being an offensive lineman."

[Image: 241882-Love-Is-Not-What-You-Say-Love-Is-What-You-Do.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Glass eater:

[Image: 2e43c1f42b92e87f6f7627916d3d93d6.jpg]
Reply/Quote
For what it’s worth, Carman is still listed as the starting LG on the final depth chart.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For what it’s worth, Carman is still listed as the starting LG on the final depth chart.

There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 01:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There's something happening here
But what it is ain't exactly clear

Singing songs and carrying signs
They mostly say "hooray for our side"

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Singing songs and carrying signs
They mostly say "hooray for our side"

There's battle lines being drawn

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Young people speaking their minds

Getting so much resistance from behind
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2022, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What does glass eater really mean?

I've always thought it means being a gritty mauler in the run game.

I want someone who can be a stud pass protector above anything else.
I don't care if they're a "glass eater" or not.

It’s Pollacks phrase. Maybe a reporter will ask him someday what it means.
To me it means a guy that doesn’t complain, endures pain, a tough guy’s tough guy.
Of course you’d have to be a moron to eat glass. Really a dumb son of a gun. I don’t think that’s Pollacks intent.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 12:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For what it’s worth, Carman is still listed as the starting LG on the final depth chart.

The reality is regardless if Carmen starts or Volson starts, some fans will not be happy.

It seems most don't think either one is capable of blocking for Burrow. If we don't add another starter, I hope they are wrong
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
When we drafted Carman in 2020 people said it was a reach, I think we were hoping that being a Cincinnati kid would light a fire under his arse but it just hasn’t happened.

Doesn’t seem to have the heart for it and unless there’s a massive change in the next couple of weeks or we sign Spain, Volson is taking the starting job.

Not that I’ll miss Carman my thoughts on him have been made clear enough in the past.
Reply/Quote
Zac said the battle wasn't over yet

Volson getting some schooling from Mr Donald

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote