Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Volson with 1st team
Something I found last today from The Draft Network about Volson's performance in East/West Shrine game. Thought it was relevant given the questions about his level of competition.

Cordell Volson’s weekend so important here in Las Vegas. The long-tenured starting tackle for the Bison program is looking to finally make the leap to the pros and he’s doing it while showcasing himself in new ways for the teams in attendance at this year’s East/West Shrine Bowl. Volson, you see, is a long-time starter at the offensive tackle position. He’s been a starter since the 2019 season, logging 41 starts over the last three seasons. And while he’s taken a few snaps here or there throughout the course of the 2020 FCS playoffs at guard due to injuries on the team, he’s been a staple on the outside at tackle. But Volson’s weekend in Las Vegas has featured ample reps inside; asking him to showcase positional versatility and the ability to play as a guard. Saturday’s first practice was fine. But Sunday’s second day of padded practice? It wasn’t fine. It wasn’t even good. It was GREAT. Volson absolutely looked the part, manhandling both defensive tackles and defensive ends in the pass protection one-on-ones. And then when the practice transitioned to team sessions, Volson was once again responsible for creating voids in the front for the running backs to push through with ease. And this is where the finicky nature of the NFL draft process comes into play. Because if you’re looking for disqualifying holes on Volson’s resume, he’s plugging them as quickly as he plugged pass rushers on Sunday afternoon. This is a prospect who has now logged time on both sides of the line as a left and right tackle and is now showcasing a firm ability to play on the interior. With the ability to potentially fill four spots on the offensive line, Volson should have some level of schematic appeal to just about every team in the league. And as a player who came into the weekend and measured in at 6-foot-6 and 319 pounds with 33.75-inch arms, he’s going to meet offensive tackle thresholds for some. If you’d like to protect him from playing outside, he’s now thrown cold water on the concern that he may not offer you multi-positional value. When constructing a roster, finding players who can fill more than one position is considered a nice cherry on top because you can fill two spots on the team with just one roster spot. Volson could feasibly be considered a utility offensive lineman with the potential to fill the sixth OL spot at worst, and be someone that could step in anywhere other than center in order to ensure you don’t have to play musical chairs up front if you have an injury on the line. Concerned about his play at the FCS level of competition? Volson’s size clearly is the standard that you’d look for in the NFL. He’s handled both speed and power this weekend, including a stonewall effort of Notre Dame’s Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa (the best athlete on the edge of the West roster) Sunday in one-on-ones. Consider me a fan. Volson, not dissimilar to MTSU safety Reed Blankenship, who I wrote about yesterday, has spent some time this past season as an “old news” prospect—hardly a new familiar face or a flavor of the week. But in Volson’s case, old news is good news, as his performance is a fresh reminder of another quality OL prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft. And now there’s a belief that he could be a multi-tool prospect to boost his universal appeal across all teams. Stock up? Stock up
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:44 PM)TheFan Wrote: Do you think any vet LGs out there will do any of those things better? Honest question as I haven't really payed that  much attention to whose been signed or not. I would guess though most that are probably wouldn't provide much of an upgrade over what Volson showed tonight or what your critiques were.

For what it's worth I saw it very similarly.

Yes I think Spain and Ereck Flowers would be better than where Volson currently is.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:05 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Volson is better than Carman at this point but I don't think he is the answer at LG, at least not for this year.

I think the Bengals need to bring in someone else at LG or move Karras over to that spot and sign a new center like Tretter

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 12:05 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Volson is better than Carman at this point but I don't think he is the answer at LG, at least not for this year.

I think the Bengals need to bring in someone else at LG or move Karras over to that spot and sign a new center like Tretter.

With Volson and Carman being 1 and 1A, the Left Guard position will be in fine shape.  Where all of the alarms should be going off is depth at the Tackle position and they really could use veteran backup for C/RG.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 07:14 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’d much rather have a veteran at LG, but if I have to choose Carman/Volson, I would say Volson. He played much better against starters than Carman did against back ups. A lot of growth, some mental errors, but the effort and intensity is there. With Jonah and Karras being on either side, I think he may look better. Let’s see how he does this week against AD and company.

Yes, we will see. Carman might actually play if he is over the covid. Wonder if he will start to give him one last shot for the
starting spot? I would start Volson though as you said he played much better against starters than Carman did against backups.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 08:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Something I found last today from The Draft Network about Volson's performance in East/West Shrine game.  Thought it was relevant given the questions about his level of competition.

Cordell Volson’s weekend so important here in Las Vegas.  The long-tenured starting tackle for the Bison program is looking to finally make the leap to the pros and he’s doing it while showcasing himself in new ways for the teams in attendance at this year’s East/West Shrine Bowl.  Volson, you see, is a long-time starter at the offensive tackle position. He’s been a starter since the 2019 season, logging 41 starts over the last three seasons. And while he’s taken a few snaps here or there throughout the course of the 2020 FCS playoffs at guard due to injuries on the team, he’s been a staple on the outside at tackle. But Volson’s weekend in Las Vegas has featured ample reps inside; asking him to showcase positional versatility and the ability to play as a guard. Saturday’s first practice was fine. But Sunday’s second day of padded practice? It wasn’t fine. It wasn’t even good. It was GREAT.  Volson absolutely looked the part, manhandling both defensive tackles and defensive ends in the pass protection one-on-ones. And then when the practice transitioned to team sessions, Volson was once again responsible for creating voids in the front for the running backs to push through with ease.  And this is where the finicky nature of the NFL draft process comes into play. Because if you’re looking for disqualifying holes on Volson’s resume, he’s plugging them as quickly as he plugged pass rushers on Sunday afternoon.  This is a prospect who has now logged time on both sides of the line as a left and right tackle and is now showcasing a firm ability to play on the interior. With the ability to potentially fill four spots on the offensive line, Volson should have some level of schematic appeal to just about every team in the league. And as a player who came into the weekend and measured in at 6-foot-6 and 319 pounds with 33.75-inch arms, he’s going to meet offensive tackle thresholds for some. If you’d like to protect him from playing outside, he’s now thrown cold water on the concern that he may not offer you multi-positional value.  When constructing a roster, finding players who can fill more than one position is considered a nice cherry on top because you can fill two spots on the team with just one roster spot. Volson could feasibly be considered a utility offensive lineman with the potential to fill the sixth OL spot at worst, and be someone that could step in anywhere other than center in order to ensure you don’t have to play musical chairs up front if you have an injury on the line.  Concerned about his play at the FCS level of competition? Volson’s size clearly is the standard that you’d look for in the NFL. He’s handled both speed and power this weekend, including a stonewall effort of Notre Dame’s Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa (the best athlete on the edge of the West roster) Sunday in one-on-ones.  Consider me a fan.  Volson, not dissimilar to MTSU safety Reed Blankenship, who I wrote about yesterday, has spent some time this past season as an “old news” prospect—hardly a new familiar face or a flavor of the week. But in Volson’s case, old news is good news, as his performance is a fresh reminder of another quality OL prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft. And now there’s a belief that he could be a multi-tool prospect to boost his universal appeal across all teams.  Stock up? Stock up

Nice write up on Cordell, yeah, he might be the answer for us. What a pick it sounds like just like Dax Hill.

Also like Zach Carter the more I watch of him and especially Jeff Gunter who looks like a freak out there. Really put in work 
in the weight room this Offseason. Think Gunter has a chip on his shoulder lasting to the 7th round must of pissed him off.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With Volson and Carman being 1 and 1A, the Left Guard position will be in fine shape.  Where all of the alarms should be going off is depth at the Tackle position and they really could use veteran backup for C/RG.

The problem is neither Volson or Carman are #1 LGs at this point.  They are more like backup #2 LGs.  The other positions on the O-line at least have #1 caliber starters.  The LG position doesn't.

If you sign Tretter, you have a #1 LG in Karras with Volson as a #2 backup.  You also have a great #1 center in Tretter with a good #1B backup in Karras.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 01:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is neither Volson or Carman are #1 LGs at this point.  They are more like backup #2 LGs.  The other positions on the O-line at least have #1 caliber starters.  The LG position doesn't.

If you sign Tretter, you have a #1 LG in Karras with Volson as a #2 backup.  You also have a great #1 center in Tretter with a good #1B backup in Karras.

I'm not sure that the team would agree with the first bolded.  

As to the second bolded, calls for signing Tretter are just a pipe dream.  The team hired Ted Karras to be the starting Center, and mentor the younger fellas along at LG.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 01:21 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The problem is neither Volson or Carman are #1 LGs at this point.  They are more like backup #2 LGs.  The other positions on the O-line at least have #1 caliber starters.  The LG position doesn't.

Not happening and Tretter's knees are shot. Try another player that is actually healthy and I might agree.

Karras is the starting Center, this isn't changing as much as people want it to. From everyone in the know Karras has been 
fantastic at Center as well. Either Volson or Carman will grow into a decent LG I bet with Jonah and Karras on both sides of 
them, great mentors for the young guys.

(08-22-2022, 01:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that the team would agree with the first bolded.  

As to the second bolded, calls for signing Tretter are just a pipe dream.  The team hired Ted Karras to be the starting Center, and mentor the younger fellas along at LG.

Yes sir Sunset. We just need to see Volson or Carman or both grow into decent LG's. Already think Volson is decent.

Carman could also be decent. I am not worried, we will be much better than last year on the OL. You were correct on the 
post that 007 quoted about the Tackle depth, Prince was terrible against the Cardinals and made Carman look worse than 
he actually was. D'Ante getting all those penalties was terrible and as you know I don't like Adeniji at all even if he looked
better last night.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not happening and Tretter's knees are shot. Try another player that is actually healthy and I might agree.

Karras is the starting Center, this isn't changing as much as people want it to. From everyone in the know Karras has been 
fantastic at Center as well. Either Volson or Carman will grow into a decent LG I bet with Jonah and Karras on both sides of 
them, great mentors for the young guys.

Yes sir Sunset. We just need to see Volson or Carman or both grow into decent LG's. Already think Volson is decent.

Carman could also be decent. I am not worried, we will be much better than last year on the OL. You were correct on the 
post that 007 quoted about the Tackle depth, Prince was terrible against the Cardinals and made Carman look worse than 
he actually was. D'Ante getting all those penalties was terrible and as you know I don't like Adeniji at all even if he looked
better last night.

I'm not big on Prince or Adeniji, I thought that Adeniji would develop into a solid interior OL and emergency Tackle, but that isn't looking to be the case.  Prince, I didn't care for as a Tackle when he played at OSU, and he has also failed to develop as a Pro.  I'm kind of bummed about D'Ante Smith floundering as well, I thought that he would come to camp this year and really establish himself as the man for swing Tackle, but that just seems to not be the case.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm kind of bummed about D'Ante Smith floundering as well, I thought that he would come to camp this year and really establish himself as the man for swing Tackle, but that just seems to not be the case.

Same. He looks so good, though, just in terms of potential. This is a large, nimble man with ideal length. And it's effectively his rookie season in terms of getting his timing up to par, seeing things at game speed and communicating with his linemates (who aren't exactly the 90s Cowboys, to be fair). I'm still holding out hope that we're watching his learning curve and not necessarily a plateau. 
Reply/Quote
26.5 pass block grade by PFF for Volson against the Giants. Take that however you wish. Seems harsh to me to be honest. 67 snaps as well.
Reply/Quote
I see where BUF traded Cody Ford to ARZ for a 5th rd pick. That woulda been nice but BUF ain't trading with us
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not big on Prince or Adeniji, I thought that Adeniji would develop into a solid interior OL and emergency Tackle, but that isn't looking to be the case.  Prince, I didn't care for as a Tackle when he played at OSU, and he has also failed to develop as a Pro.  I'm kind of bummed about D'Ante Smith floundering as well, I thought that he would come to camp this year and really establish himself as the man for swing Tackle, but that just seems to not be the case.

I didn't think D'Ante looked all that bad. The 1st game I thought Adeniji was absolutely awful at LT and he really played much better this week. Almost the same with Trey Hill although he wasn't quite as bad week 1 but still played much better. So I believe D'Ante could have that same improvement after his 1st game action.

I still think we need to sign someone who can play LG and ideally have some versatility. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not big on Prince or Adeniji, I thought that Adeniji would develop into a solid interior OL and emergency Tackle, but that isn't looking to be the case.  Prince, I didn't care for as a Tackle when he played at OSU, and he has also failed to develop as a Pro.  I'm kind of bummed about D'Ante Smith floundering as well, I thought that he would come to camp this year and really establish himself as the man for swing Tackle, but that just seems to not be the case.

Same, I still like D'Ante too and think at least 1 of those 3 calls was just BS.

Have hope for D'Ante still that is for sure. The first 2 mentioned, not so much.

Tackle depth is the most concerning to me right now after what these guys have shown though, I think they are all Tackles.

The inside Lineman are less length and more bull like Karras, Cappa, Volson, Carman and such.

Even though Volson has great length and can play OT he is very versatile.

(08-22-2022, 03:00 PM)tms Wrote: Same. He looks so good, though, just in terms of potential. This is a large, nimble man with ideal length. And it's effectively his rookie season in terms of getting his timing up to par, seeing things at game speed and communicating with his linemates (who aren't exactly the 90s Cowboys, to be fair). I'm still holding out hope that we're watching his learning curve and not necessarily a plateau. 

Big time potential with D'Ante no question. He is honestly still ahead of what I thought. He will get it down.

Just a tough outing for him getting a couple penalties but I still say 2 of those calls were very questionable.

(08-22-2022, 09:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I didn't think D'Ante looked all that bad. The 1st game I thought Adeniji was absolutely awful at LT and he really played much better this week. Almost the same with Trey Hill although he wasn't quite as bad week 1 but still played much better. So I believe D'Ante could have that same improvement after his 1st game action.

I still think we need to sign someone who can play LG and ideally have some versatility. 

I would like Ereck Flowers myself. I don't think our coaches or FO want Spain back regardless of what some say.

Quinton said some stuff after the SB on twitter you just shouldn't say and it has hurt him.

Plus he has a tendency to get overweight.
Reply/Quote
Volson may be great and I hope he is but sure hope they spend some money and bring in a veteran at LG. (Ereck Flowers or Daryl Williams). Too good of a roster with salary cap room to have a liability at LG.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 08:06 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: 26.5 pass block grade by PFF for Volson against the Giants. Take that however you wish. Seems harsh to me to be honest. 67 snaps as well.

Way harsh. He had a handful of bad plays, but that grade would almost suggest there were more bad than good. Which I didn't think was the case.

Volson himself said after the game he has plenty of things to clean up though.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 10:02 PM)bk42 Wrote: Volson may be great and I hope he is but sure hope they spend some money and bring in a veteran at LG.  (Ereck Flowers or Daryl Williams).  Too good of a roster with salary cap room to have a liability at LG.

Agreed, Daryl Williams I think is 36 though so that might take him out of the picture for us. Our coaches want youth.

(08-22-2022, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Way harsh. He had a handful of bad plays, but that grade would almost suggest there were more bad than good. Which I didn't think was the case.

Volson himself said after the game he has plenty of things to clean up though.

For sure he has plenty to clean up and I think Cordell will honestly. 

SHRacer's post on the top of the page shows how he can adapt.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 08:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Something I found last today from The Draft Network about Volson's performance in East/West Shrine game.  Thought it was relevant given the questions about his level of competition.

Cordell Volson’s weekend so important here in Las Vegas.  The long-tenured starting tackle for the Bison program is looking to finally make the leap to the pros and he’s doing it while showcasing himself in new ways for the teams in attendance at this year’s East/West Shrine Bowl.  Volson, you see, is a long-time starter at the offensive tackle position. He’s been a starter since the 2019 season, logging 41 starts over the last three seasons. And while he’s taken a few snaps here or there throughout the course of the 2020 FCS playoffs at guard due to injuries on the team, he’s been a staple on the outside at tackle. But Volson’s weekend in Las Vegas has featured ample reps inside; asking him to showcase positional versatility and the ability to play as a guard. Saturday’s first practice was fine. But Sunday’s second day of padded practice? It wasn’t fine. It wasn’t even good. It was GREAT.  Volson absolutely looked the part, manhandling both defensive tackles and defensive ends in the pass protection one-on-ones. And then when the practice transitioned to team sessions, Volson was once again responsible for creating voids in the front for the running backs to push through with ease.  And this is where the finicky nature of the NFL draft process comes into play. Because if you’re looking for disqualifying holes on Volson’s resume, he’s plugging them as quickly as he plugged pass rushers on Sunday afternoon.  This is a prospect who has now logged time on both sides of the line as a left and right tackle and is now showcasing a firm ability to play on the interior. With the ability to potentially fill four spots on the offensive line, Volson should have some level of schematic appeal to just about every team in the league. And as a player who came into the weekend and measured in at 6-foot-6 and 319 pounds with 33.75-inch arms, he’s going to meet offensive tackle thresholds for some. If you’d like to protect him from playing outside, he’s now thrown cold water on the concern that he may not offer you multi-positional value.  When constructing a roster, finding players who can fill more than one position is considered a nice cherry on top because you can fill two spots on the team with just one roster spot. Volson could feasibly be considered a utility offensive lineman with the potential to fill the sixth OL spot at worst, and be someone that could step in anywhere other than center in order to ensure you don’t have to play musical chairs up front if you have an injury on the line.  Concerned about his play at the FCS level of competition? Volson’s size clearly is the standard that you’d look for in the NFL. He’s handled both speed and power this weekend, including a stonewall effort of Notre Dame’s Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa (the best athlete on the edge of the West roster) Sunday in one-on-ones.  Consider me a fan.  Volson, not dissimilar to MTSU safety Reed Blankenship, who I wrote about yesterday, has spent some time this past season as an “old news” prospect—hardly a new familiar face or a flavor of the week. But in Volson’s case, old news is good news, as his performance is a fresh reminder of another quality OL prospect in the 2022 NFL Draft. And now there’s a belief that he could be a multi-tool prospect to boost his universal appeal across all teams.  Stock up? Stock up

Excellent find!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2022, 09:23 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I didn't think D'Ante looked all that bad. The 1st game I thought Adeniji was absolutely awful at LT and he really played much better this week. Almost the same with Trey Hill although he wasn't quite as bad week 1 but still played much better. So I believe D'Ante could have that same improvement after his 1st game action.

3 holding calls in a quarter clearly indicates that he was being overwhelmed by his man.  Even if you dismiss one of the calls as a bad call by the official, two calls is still way too many.  Hopefully they can get him cleaned up, build his confidence back up, and get him settled down.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote