Todd Haley
7.27%
4 7.27%
Total 55 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting Thread: Pick the new HC
I would like to see a realistic list of potential HC's. Please no Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher as I don't think either one of them are coming here nor do i think they would be the best fit.......

Lets throw out some names:

Josh McDaniels, offensive coordinator, New England Patriots:

Sean McDermott, defensive coordinator, Carolina Panthers:

Vance Joseph, defensive coordinator, Miami Dolphins:

Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons:

Anyone from the college ranks?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
We should give complete control to Urban Meyer.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:39 AM)740Bengal Wrote: We should give complete control to Urban Meyer.

I think Urban is holding out for New England. Him and Belicheck are good friends, and when asked recently about the NFL he said he hasn't discounted it if the right opportunity came about.
Reply/Quote
Late to the party as first we had this: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-JN-Game-Pick-the-next-HC
Then we had this: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Voting-Thread-Pick-the-new-HC
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:40 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think Urban is holding out for New England. Him and Belicheck are good friends, and when asked recently about the NFL he said he hasn't discounted it if the right opportunity came about.

Not sure following Bill Belichick is "the right opportunity".  

Urban would want to go to a team with good, young talent where he could make his own legacy.  Following a guy who has won 4 SB in 6 trips (at last count) would be next to impossible.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:50 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Not sure following Bill Belichick is "the right opportunity".  

Urban would want to go to a team with good, young talent where he could make his own legacy.  Following a guy who has won 4 SB in 6 trips (at last count) would be next to impossible.

It's a great organization. Bill can help that transition too, as I mentioned they are good friends. Urban has gone to good colleges with rich traditions of winning at both Florida and Ohio state. I don't think he is scared of following up a winning tradition.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's a great organization. Bill can help that transition too, as I mentioned they are good friends. Urban has gone to good colleges with rich traditions of winning at both Florida and Ohio state. I don't think he is scared of following up a winning tradition.

I agree it is a great organization, but man, that'd be a tough job.  But it is the NFL and any job he would take would come with extremley high expectations. 

It would be fascinating to see how he would do in the league should he decide to go down that path.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 11:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's a great organization. Bill can help that transition too, as I mentioned they are good friends. Urban has gone to good colleges with rich traditions of winning at both Florida and Ohio state. I don't think he is scared of following up a winning tradition.

There are big differences between college and the professional game.  First off, you make significantly more at a top college program plus all the "perks" (use of the jet, the boosters paying off your house, etc.).  I've seen Saban interviewed where he readily admits a head coach in college does not work nearly as hard as the NFL (they normally have much larger staffs).  You're dealing with 18 and 19 year old kids in college, kids who know you can yank their scholarship at any time.  In the NFL you're dealing with grown men who are multi millionaires.  NFL you have a 53 man roster and have to deal with free agency.  In college you have over 100 scholarship players and the top teams load themselves with talent throughout the depth chart.

I don't think the "allure" of coaching in the NFL is what is once was for the top guys.  Saban and Spurrier tried it and quickly realized how tough it is.  The only reason Carroll went back to the NFL is because his team was falling apart and the NCAA was about to come down on him.  Personally, I would coach a top tier college team any day of the week versus coming into the NFL.
Reply/Quote
http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-2016-season.html/?a=viewall
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:04 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: There are big differences between college and the professional game.  First off, you make significantly more at a top college program plus all the "perks" (use of the jet, the boosters paying off your house, etc.).  I've seen Saban interviewed where he readily admits a head coach in college does not work nearly as hard as the NFL (they normally have much larger staffs).  You're dealing with 18 and 19 year old kids in college, kids who know you can yank their scholarship at any time.  In the NFL you're dealing with grown men who are multi millionaires.  NFL you have a 53 man roster and have to deal with free agency.  In college you have over 100 scholarship players and the top teams load themselves with talent throughout the depth chart.

I don't think the "allure" of coaching in the NFL is what is once was for the top guys.  Saban and Spurrier tried it and quickly realized how tough it is.  The only reason Carroll went back to the NFL is because his team was falling apart and the NCAA was about to come down on him.  Personally, I would coach a top tier college team any day of the week versus coming into the NFL.

Talk to Urban, he is the one who hasn't completely shut the door on it. I was just laying out a logical move( New England) if he would ever decide to make the jump. I agree it is a lot better gig at a college power, but to a lot of guys they always wonder if they could do it.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Talk to Urban, he is the one who hasn't completely shut the door on it. I was just laying out a logical move( New England) if he would ever decide to make the jump. I agree it is a lot better gig at a college power, but to a lot of guys they always wonder if they could do it.

Agreed, I was just telling you my thoughts.  If I am Meyer's agent I do instruct him to always answer the question so that he leaves the door open to moving on.  I want that leverage when I am negotiating his next contract.

When Belichick does retire, New England will be a prime opening.  Owner who wants nothing more than to win, great scouting department, rabid fan base, quality facilities.  The list of people who want that job will be long.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:45 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Agreed, I was just telling you my thoughts.  If I am Meyer's agent I do instruct him to always answer the question so that he leaves the door open to moving on.  I want that leverage when I am negotiating his next contract.

When Belichick does retire, New England will be a prime opening.  Owner who wants nothing more than to win, great scouting department, rabid fan base, quality facilities.  The list of people who want that job will be long.

Just do the Nick Saban, leak your name as interested in every big name job that comes open so your school offers to give you more money for no reason.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just do the Nick Saban, leak your name as interested in every big name job that comes open so your school offers to give you more money for no reason.

Or the booster club gives you a "gift" by paying off your multi million dollar mortgage  Ninja

All fairness though, the guy does put up National Championship after National Championship...
Reply/Quote
Very tempted by Haley.  He's done a fine job in Pittsburgh and we need someone to stabilize the offense.   I could see Pittsburgh making him sign a no compete clause for the AFC North.   I love McDaniel's creativity, I think he'd do a great job with this offense.   I'm not sure I trust his judgment when running the whole team.  Still I'd be very happy with either choice.

I would pick Patricia.  Guy knows offensive line and has done an excellent job with NE's defense.  And I think he'd choose an OC that would mirror what has been done in NE which would really suit our offense.  I think he'd be the best overall guy.

If Lewis goes I would anticipate either Joseph, Guenther,  or Shanahan in about that order.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Patricia has done the most with the least on that list.

With that said, Patriots coordinators tend to do terrible as HC's.
Reply/Quote
I want an offensive minded coach. One that is a bit more aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:29 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-2016-season.html/?a=viewall

Anyone who has Marvin Lewis on the hot seat doesn't know this team very well.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:53 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Anyone who has Marvin Lewis on the hot seat doesn't know this team very well.

Did you see the graphic during the game where it showed every coach close to his tenure and their Super Bowls next to their name then next to Marvin it had 0 playoff wins haha? To be fair Marvin rebuilt the team, but the guy who is a organization builder doesn't mean they are the one to take them all the way. He got his shot and now it's time to move on.
Reply/Quote
Thanks to everyone that voted. The vote ended in a tie between Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia.

So, if it were to come down to these 2 in a reality, which would you choose as the next Bengals HC and why?

For me, McDaniels gets the edge over Patricia because I would love to see what he could do with Andy and the offense. Plus, he does have previous experience as a HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2016, 02:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Thanks to everyone that voted. The vote ended in a tie between Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia.

So, if it were to come down to these 2 in a reality, which would you choose as the next Bengals HC and why?

For me, McDaniels gets the edge over Patricia because I would love to see what he could do with Andy and the offense. Plus, he does have previous experience as a HC.

Even though I didn't vote before, between these two (very hard to pick one over the other), I would also pick McDaniels, considering how the Patriots seem to find ways to free up their undersized receivers, who are more quick than fast, with pick plays and well designed schemes that seem to give the QB easier throws into larger windows than what the Bengals have done over the years.  They also have a knack for beating teams with the run or the pass, so I can only imagine McDaniels would make Andy's life a whole lot easier and more successful.  With a top notch receiver like A.J. to take the pressure off, the Bengals' second and third receivers would likely thrive under McDaniels' schemes.  Add in Eifert, Andy would be more improved than he was even last year.  I don't know how much impact McDaniels has on the New England offensive line, but if he could bring the same level of consistency and versatility to the Bengals O line, then the Bengals offense might even be able to win in shootouts.  Andy's playoff woes might not continue since McDaniels would take the pressure off of him.  If the defense only improves slightly compared to how they've played this year, the Bengals have enough talent to do better in the playoffs and also against the Steelers in the regular season, IMO.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote