Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF Rodney Anderson
(04-28-2019, 11:36 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Because the draft will be here next season and we can take a RB who is healthy and uninjured. If it was a #1 prospect, then I can understand this. A 6th rounder, I'll wait next year. I would get a position we did not draft instead or one that is clearly underachieving.

This is what the lower rounds of the draft are about. You have a kid that is a 1st round talent if not for the injuries. If he never gets injured again then what is your argument?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:43 AM)McC Wrote: It is the SIXTH ROUND.  This is where you look for kickers, punters, ST players and maybe try to catch lightning in a bottle.  He won't be asked to play this year, being the 4th RB,so it's no big deal if he needs a year, which is just an assumption on your part anyway.  Gio could be gone at the end of this year.  It's what is known as planning head and spending very little in the process.  And he is a helluva player when healthy.  If he never reaches his potential, oh well.

I consider the sixth round like the 3rd round and get players to unseat current aged players... rather than the experiment lab. I'd rather do that with undrafted free agents... my philosophy is just a bit more "play now" if you're in the first 7 rounds. UFAs can be injured, have social and/or weight issue guys and/ot poorly analyzed players.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:52 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I consider the sixth round like the 3rd round and get players to unseat current aged players... rather than the experiment lab. I'd rather do that with undrafted free agents... my philosophy is just a bit more "play now" if you're in the first 7 rounds. UFAs can be injured, have social and/or weight issue guys and/ot poorly analyzed players.

We had 3 RBs on the roster and one of them is a project that is trying to be converted from QB. So taking 2 RBs was not a bad move at all and taking a gamble in the 6th on a first round talent is especially smart.
Reply/Quote
Is it a bad thing some experts who did not love our draft, loved this pick for some reason??

Look at this way years ago we traded up and got Ki-Jana. Carter, a can't miss stud who was injured after we drafted him. He was never the same after the injury.
This year we drafted a guy who was injured before drafted him and a late 6th round pick (not much investment). I will go on a limb and say he has almost as good a career as K. Carter, you can quote me on that. Tongue

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartKi00.htm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Well, it's pretty obvious now that the 6th round is the most important round where if you swing and miss it sets the franchise back 5 years.. No, they should have picked Anderson in the 1st round just to be safe to save the 6th for the big names..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is it a bad thing some experts who did not love our draft, loved this pick for some reason??

Look at this way years ago we traded up and got Ki-Jana. Carter, a can't miss stud who was injured after we drafted him. He was never the same after the injury.
This year we drafted a guy who was injured before drafted him and a late 6th round pick (not much investment). I will go on a limb and say he has almost as good a career as K. Carter, you can quote me on that. Tongue

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartKi00.htm

Heck, even if we get that level of production, it'd be a win. Ki-Jana wound up being a solid goal-line back (21 TD's) and played 7 years.

I imagine surgery has come a long way since 1995 as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, even if we get that level of production, it'd be a win. Ki-Jana wound up being a solid goal-line back (21 TD's) and played 7 years.

I think we need to invent retro-surgery to be able to fix guys from the 90s to win now.. You know..a time machine for the Bengals.. As long as we're talking reality here let's go all the way! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I get taking a 6th round guy is a chance, I just hate taking it on another running back and one that hasn’t played 12 games in four years in college.. I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong but dude is at best a practice squad player if he can’t stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:34 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I get taking a 6th round guy is a chance, I just hate taking it on another running back and one that hasn’t played 12 games in four years in college.. I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong but dude is at best a practice squad player if he can’t stay healthy.

Most 6 rounders are practice squad if they can stay healthy so what's your point? I mean do people realize they're getting up in arms about a 6th round pick?
Reply/Quote
I actually really like this pick. Hopefully he can unseat Gio.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:34 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I get taking a 6th round guy is a chance, I just hate taking it on another running back and one that hasn’t played 12 games in four years in college.. I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong but dude is at best a practice squad player if he can’t stay healthy.

Rodney played in 17 games.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:05 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: This has the potential to be a horrible draft. I see little production from this draft in year one, please let me be so very wrong!

Wow, I was thinking just the opposite, that it had the potential to be a great draft!

Tired of taking shiny objects year in and year out and ignoring what makes the thing tick - the line of scrimmage.  

This reminds me of a Pittsburgh draft.  Not too many known names and then they beat the hell out of you in the trenches.
Reply/Quote
Anderson is a guy who you can basically redshirt for a year and if he heals properly you can let Gio walk next year knowing you have a stud #2. Couple years ago he put up 200 yard rushing on the vaunted Clemson defense. If not you still have Trayveon Williams who's roll in this league may be as a 3rd down back (gio) but I think he can be more of a three down back.

HB is a position where guys can easily get hurt, so it never hurts to throw a couple lottery picks on guys with high upside. I think that is what we got here are a couple guys who at worst can be nice committee options but have the upside to be really good.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Heck, even if we get that level of production, it'd be a win. Ki-Jana wound up being a solid goal-line back (21 TD's) and played 7 years.

Ok, I change my prediction to he will have the less than 1200 yards Carter got over those 7 years without 21 TD's. I am old and forgot he still had all those TD's.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:45 AM)Au165 Wrote: Anderson is a guy who you can basically redshirt for a year and if he heals properly you can let Gio walk next year knowing you have a stud #2. Couple years ago he put up 200 yard rushing on the vaunted Clemson defense. If not you still have Trayveon Williams who's roll in this league may be as a 3rd down back (gio) but I think he can be more of a three down back.

HB is a position where guys can easily get hurt, so it never hurts to throw a couple lottery picks on guys with high upside. I think that is what we got here are a couple guys who at worst can be nice committee options but have the upside to be really good.

I see it as this. You have Gio and Williams, both short and around 205, you have Mixon and Anderson around 6' and 220 lbs. If Mixon or Gio get nicked, you have a guy that can come in and be productive. 
Reply/Quote
What an over reaction to a late pick. Anderson in the 6th is a FAR BETTER value pick than say Ross in the first.

Good value pick and NO ONE knows how this draft class will turn out. NO ONE.

There are no 'can't miss' prospects and there are no 'can't succeed' prospects in any draft class.

What we do know is the new staff actually targeted players that fit their systems and moved around the draft to land them. If this is done every year it improves the chances of draft success.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I liked the pick of Anderson a lot. Seems like a guy who has the ability to make people miss in the backfield and at worst rushes for no gain, but always seems to churn out at least some positive yardage even on a busted play.

Very low risk, high reward with a 6th round pick like this, especially considering they had already taken a RB ahead of him. Why not go after him? If this was a 3rd or 4th rounder then I'd be more concerned.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 06:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Thanks for not ripping my head off. I want be be positive and there may be 2-3 guys in there that turn out ok but don’t you also have to weigh that against what other teams have added to try to improve too? I’m sick of punting Free Agency.

I'm certainly understanding of all positions, and I too didn't like FA that much.  As for the draft, I think they did a nice job with it.  Williams is a bona fide day 1 starter.  I think Samples will start, and Eifert will be used sparingly to try and limit his injury potential.  I also think Pratt will play quite a bit, and maybe even start in spots or toward the end of the year.  Wren could see substantial time in a rotational role.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:45 AM)Au165 Wrote: Anderson is a guy who you can basically redshirt for a year and if he heals properly you can let Gio walk next year knowing you have a stud #2. Couple years ago he put up 200 yard rushing on the vaunted Clemson defense. If not you still have Trayveon Williams who's roll in this league may be as a 3rd down back (gio) but I think he can be more of a three down back.

It was vs Georgia in the Rose Bowl against a very good defense and a top ten linebacker Roquan Smith....My first introduction to Rodney Anderson was Oklahoma vs WVU he had 13 Carries or 118 yards 9 YPC and 4 touchdowns. Against TCU he nearly had 300 yards of total offense 151 yards rushing and 139 yards receiving lol.

I looked him up after that game and then watched him against Georgia I though he came out last year and went later due to injuries. I had no idea he was in this draft class. This could be the biggest steal of the draft.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm certainly understanding of all positions, and I too didn't like FA that much.  As for the draft, I think they did a nice job with it.  Williams is a bona fide day 1 starter.  I think Samples will start, and Eifert will be used sparingly to try and limit his injury potential.  I also think Pratt will play quite a bit, and maybe even start in spots or toward the end of the year.  Wren could see substantial time in a rotational role.

Totally agree on Eifert. I think Taylor knows his value to the offense and will protect him by not trying to force him into a starters spot. I remember Cris Collinsworth's last season. If he came on the field it was only on obvious passing downs. If he caught the ball and ran out of bounds, the he was available for at least one more third down later in the game. If he caught the ball and was tackled, it usually took him a few days to recover from the tackle so his day was over, but he moved the chains on a crucial drive before the end of the first half or got a first down in the third quarter when they're trying to protect a lead. I could see Eifert in a similar type of role with the drafting of Sample.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote