Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS***
(03-08-2017, 11:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean I know its a TV show, but cmon. 

And why have only the "beater" vehicles survived the apocalypse?  Gasoline is now a finite commodity, so why aren't people rolling around in the most modern fuel-efficient vehicles?

But if you're going to drive a gas-guzzler, why not a Hummer or Escalade?

Anyway, I think it would be risky to try to travel across the country, partly because of the apparent unreliability of their vehicles (because you keep picking-up junkers!).....but also because the highways are all pretty much log jammed.

Also, I would assume given how many people that Negan has, he has constant surveillance on those camps.  He seems smart enough and the type of guy to do that.  So I think it would be a real gamble to be able to pack-up unnoticed and then put miles behind you before getting ambushed.  In fact, he may even have a few spies in many of these camps.  Since at least one group rose-up before it seems unlikely he wouldn't be spying all these groups now to figure out if they are preparing for war.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: And why have only the "beater" vehicles survived the apocalypse?  Gasoline is now a finite commodity, so why aren't people rolling around in the most modern fuel-efficient vehicles?

But if you're going to drive a gas-guzzler, why not a Hummer or Escalade?

Anyway, I think it would be risky to try to travel across the country, partly because of the apparent unreliability of their vehicles (because you keep picking-up junkers!).....but also because the highways are all pretty much log jammed.

Also, I would assume given how many people that Negan has, he has constant surveillance on those camps.  He seems smart enough and the type of guy to do that.  So I think it would be a real gamble to be able to pack-up unnoticed and then put miles behind you before getting ambushed.  In fact, he may even have a few spies in many of these camps.  Since at least one group rose-up before it seems unlikely he wouldn't be spying all these groups now to figure out if they are preparing for war.

Well one thing about the Cars..  the older cars are a hell of a lot easier to repair and fix than newer cars that rely heavily on their computer components...

plus you want something that can run thru zombies without crumpling like a paper cup lol
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:28 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Anyway.....there's 300M guns in the US - how hard can it be to find some in the zombie apocalypse?  They are literally just laying around in the grass.  Probably like 1000 guns per survivor!

Likely even more than that. The DC metro area has a population of about 6m, and the 4 largest communities, that presumably encompass most survivors in the area, have maybe a combined 500 people (200 in Hilltop, the Kingdom has less but more than Alexandria, and then the Sanctuary and Alexandria with a little less). 

That's a survival rate of about .008%. Let's assume there's maybe another 500 or so living in isolation alone in the area, that's a survival rate of .016%. So you have a population of 319,000,000 dwindled down to about 50,000. Nearly 6,000 guns per person left! That doesn't include military firearms. Then there is product that hasn't sold at manufacturers. 

(03-08-2017, 10:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: And it's a big damn country.  Really don't need to hang out in DC.

(03-08-2017, 11:21 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Thats kind of always been my beef with the show. 

You dont like how this new guy Negan is treating you? Thats fine, just pack up all of the stuff you don't have and leave town. Drive down to Florida and hang out near the coast. Find a nice big empty mansion in Palm Beach and hang out in it. 

I mean I know its a TV show, but cmon. 

They've traveled from Atlanta to Frederick, MD before finding a scout from DC (Don't ask me how they somehow missed DC and go to Frederick, but it happened). This was the first time they found a community. It's possible that they saw signs of communities on their way (besides the small group of cannibals) but avoided them because of their "mission" from Eugene, but there's no mention of it. 

I'm gonna suggest there aren't a lot of options to move to. This is a space that has been cleared, there's plenty of amenities, and they're the safest now than they have ever been.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Likely even more than that. The DC metro area has a population of about 6m, and the 4 largest communities, that presumably encompass most survivors in the area, have maybe a combined 500 people (200 in Hilltop, the Kingdom has less but more than Alexandria, and then the Sanctuary and Alexandria with a little less). 

That's a survival rate of about .008%. Let's assume there's maybe another 500 or so living in isolation alone in the area, that's a survival rate of .016%. So you have a population of 319,000,000 dwindled down to about 50,000. Nearly 6,000 guns per person left! That doesn't include military firearms. Then there is product that hasn't sold at manufacturers. 

They've traveled from Atlanta to Frederick, MD before finding a scout from DC (Don't ask me how they somehow missed DC and go to Frederick, but it happened). This was the first time they found a community. It's possible that they saw signs of communities on their way (besides the small group of cannibals) but avoided them because of their "mission" from Eugene, but there's no mention of it. 

I'm gonna suggest there aren't a lot of options to move to. This is a space that has been cleared, there's plenty of amenities, and they're the safest now than they have ever been.

for the Guns converstation As they have said on the show not much is left that isn't hidden....     We don't know exactly how long it took everything to go to crap.  But it wasn't instant I'm sure many people collected as many guns as they could and took them with them..  So there are plenty of guns left sure as they aren't being destroyed for the most part its just a matter of locating them.   Like they found a bunch in this "safe zone" type place full of dead military guys..  (most of which where still carrying their guns on straps).

You have other survivors hording them as well..  Remember Morgans apartment?   Most the easy to find stuff has been collected.

I believe the main issue is ammo.  they had plenty of guns (till negan took them)   but where already out of low on most ammo types rendering those guns pretty much useless.

As far as just moving on... This group has been on the road a lot.  with small breaks at the farm and prison.    They worked hard to intergrate with Alexandra and have some security for Ricks daughter and now Maggies child.     They are tired of running.  

I will say the fact their is a group as large as the saviours and thriving is impressive...  Junkyard group being as large as it is doesn't make that much sense to me as they don't seem to grow anything on their own.  But their time is running out as  canned food is going bad... 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: for the Guns converstation As they have said on the show not much is left that isn't hidden....     We don't know exactly how long it took everything to go to crap.  But it wasn't instant I'm sure many people collected as many guns as they could and took them with them..  So there are plenty of guns left sure as they aren't being destroyed for the most part its just a matter of locating them.   Like they found a bunch in this "safe zone" type place full of dead military guys..  (most of which where still carrying their guns on straps).

You have other survivors hording them as well..  Remember Morgans apartment?   Most the easy to find stuff has been collected.

I believe the main issue is ammo.  they had plenty of guns (till negan took them)   but where already out of low on most ammo types rendering those guns pretty much useless.

As far as just moving on... This group has been on the road a lot.  with small breaks at the farm and prison.    They worked hard to intergrate with Alexandra and have some security for Ricks daughter and now Maggies child.     They are tired of running.  

I will say the fact their is a group as large as the saviours and thriving is impressive...  Junkyard group being as large as it is doesn't make that much sense to me as they don't seem to grow anything on their own.  But their time is running out as  canned food is going bad... 

Ammo is definitely an issue and one being addressed by Eugene.

You bring up a good point regarding the implications of a large group that is producing what they need to survive. You have security in numbers and you have stability in being able to produce. Why take dozens of people and run without anything to run to?

Reply/Quote
Why are there still so many active walkers? It's been almost two years - supposed to go into a dormant state when there's no food.

What are they eating - not many people left? It's completely unbelievable that they are routinely taking down or cornering animals. They're going to sneak up on a deer - C'MON!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Why are there still so many active walkers?  It's been almost two years - supposed to go into a dormant state when there's no food.

What are they eating - not many people left?  It's completely unbelievable that they are routinely taking down or cornering animals.  They're going to sneak up on a deer - C'MON!

Not only that, but how do they process the food?  Of course my biggest beef has always been getting them anywhere in the head kills them when only their brain stem is functioning.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not only that, but how do they process the food?  Of course my biggest beef has always been getting them anywhere in the head kills them when only their brain stem is functioning.

and what happened with zombies perfering to eat brains...  they also never seem to go for the brains. lol

the zombies we saw recently were in a sheltered area so they probly have not been zombies for 2 years...

The one we saw at negans camp was failing to pieces.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and what happened with zombies perfering to eat brains...  they also never seem to go for the brains. lol

the zombies we saw recently were in a sheltered area so they probly have not been zombies for 2 years...

The one we saw at negans camp was failing to pieces.

But that's my point.  It would seem most people were taken out pretty quickly in the first few months.  Negan's camp shows they do deteriorate somewhat quickly, but even with slower "metabolisms" there's no way you have hordes of walkers still roaming around 2 years later - there's basically been no food supply for at least a year.  At this point, I'd say they should run into active walkers in similar number and frequency that they encounter other people.

Also, why is a deer such a rare treat worth taking stupid risks for?  The deer population should be EXPLODING.

Therefore, the only conclusion is the slow, shuffling and mumbling walkers are feasting on deer.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 05:21 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But that's my point.  It would seem most people were taken out pretty quickly in the first few months.  Negan's camp shows they do deteriorate somewhat quickly, but even with slower "metabolisms" there's no way you have hordes of walkers still roaming around 2 years later - there's basically been no food supply for at least a year.  At this point, I'd say they should run into active walkers in similar number and frequency that they encounter other people.

Also, why is a deer such a rare treat worth taking stupid risks for?  The deer population should be EXPLODING.

Therefore, the only conclusion is the slow, shuffling and mumbling walkers are feasting on deer.

and other animals I'm sure.  plus constant flys flying into their mouths.  (there should be swarms of flys everywhere)

But... Lets not focus on whats unrealistic in a show about zombies lol..
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 04:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Why are there still so many active walkers?  It's been almost two years - supposed to go into a dormant state when there's no food.

What are they eating - not many people left?  It's completely unbelievable that they are routinely taking down or cornering animals.  They're going to sneak up on a deer - C'MON!

That's the problem with a zombie story that takes place longer than a few weeks/months. The vast majority of people did not survive and were turned into zombies early on, so they should all have turned around the same time. New zombies in the last two years are faaaaaar less than zombies within the first month of the outbreak. By year two, they should be mostly fallen apart, especially considering that we saw zombies that weren't fed early on and they seemed to be a lot weaker. It's not like there's a lot they're all feeding on.

Currently the comics is a few more years down the line, and the thing now is herds that migrate together (not as much stray zombies anymore) but there's no talk of them decomposing. By this point they should be all but gone. At some point, they have to address that and this just be about rebuilding and dealing with others. 

Reply/Quote
This show at times tries way too hard to be compelling drama. And I think the guy who plays Morgan is a pretty good actor....but that entire thing just seemed so forced.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:28 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This show at times tries way too hard to be compelling drama.  And I think the guy who plays Morgan is a pretty good actor....but that entire thing just seemed so forced.

At least there was some substance to that episode. It was only a matter of time before Morgan returned to being a killing machine, it just sucks that he had to kill off one of the more interesting new characters on the show to do so. 

Im glad crazy ass Morgan is back though. Much more interesting than ***** Morgan. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:28 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This show at times tries way too hard to be compelling drama.  And I think the guy who plays Morgan is a pretty good actor....but that entire thing just seemed so forced.

(03-13-2017, 12:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: At least there was some substance to that episode. It was only a matter of time before Morgan returned to being a killing machine, it just sucks that he had to kill off one of the more interesting new characters on the show to do so. 

Im glad crazy ass Morgan is back though. Much more interesting than ***** Morgan. 

I just don't understand how they write off the thing with the gate and the carts. You drive down that road frequently. "Oh, some random person did this. Let's just forget about it". Also, just ***** shoot some Saviors instead of having this elaborate plan that leads to you dying. 

They're trying to hard with some of these storylines. In the comics, Rick shows up and is like, "let's ***** do this" and Ezekiel is ready to go, he has just been waiting for more allies to even the numbers out. 

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Gasoline is now a finite commodity...

Hasn't it always been? 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 06:26 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Hasn't it always been? 

That's what they've been telling us, since the '70s Smirk

Which reminds me of another point - gasoline goes bad.  Two years in, I don't think anyone is going too far (if they can even get the thing to start).

But I'm sure Eugene can read a few books and figure out how to make gasoline....

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 12:22 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That's what they've been telling us, since the '70s Smirk

Which reminds me of another point - gasoline goes bad.  Two years in, I don't think anyone is going too far (if they can even get the thing to start).

But I'm sure Eugene can read a few books and figure out how to make gasoline....

Yes. It does indeed go bad.

Why is Eugene reminding me more and more of the protagonist from "Idiocracy" (i.e. normal guy who appears to be a genius sometimes because of all the idiots around)? Wink
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 06:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I just don't understand how they write off the thing with the gate and the carts. You drive down that road frequently. "Oh, some random person did this. Let's just forget about it". Also, just ***** shoot some Saviors instead of having this elaborate plan that leads to you dying. 

They're trying to hard with some of these storylines. In the comics, Rick shows up and is like, "let's ***** do this" and Ezekiel is ready to go, he has just been waiting for more allies to even the numbers out. 

LOL. "Hey some random dude blocked our way.  Probably just a prank."    And good point.  Shoot the leader of that group in the head and you've got your war.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 06:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I just don't understand how they write off the thing with the gate and the carts. You drive down that road frequently. "Oh, some random person did this. Let's just forget about it". Also, just ***** shoot some Saviors instead of having this elaborate plan that leads to you dying. 

Only thing about the carts is they were in a hurry. and didn't want to be late to where they were going.. the drop off.

I know shooting the dude would start a war but he didn't seem like he wanted an all out war(at least not till the kingdom was ready)... He wanted to convince the kingdom they had to fight. and wanted to do that by showing them they are so unreasonable they would kill someone over 1 melon.  He got his wish.

He also got his second wish in pretending to make saviours think they got it.   Not as he planned I think but morgan saw his plan thru...
Reply/Quote

I worked at a grocery store in college. We used to drive carts around with our cars. The carts generally roll in one direction pretty easily. It takes a huge suspension of logic to watch the show and not ask "Why didn't they just drive through the carts?"

It's not like there were two rows, or rods sticking out. It was just a single row of shopping carts.

I guess the intent was to make it look like a poorly laid trap, but jeez. Roll a freaking car or two into the street or stack up empty pallets, but make it semi-plausible.
Reply/Quote