Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Walking Dead Thread ***SPOILERS***
(04-17-2018, 10:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: seinfield?

Sitcom. It was in reference to a zombie apocalypse show about people going through their lives avoiding conflict.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 08:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: You don't get to complain about plot holes when there are zombies haha. The reality is if they just packed up and left there is literally no reason to watch the show. If every show did the most logical things to avoid conflicts no one would watch them, it is conflict that people watch for. No one is watching a show that people just go about their day to day lives.

We used to play a game in college called "End of Movie" where we would point out a simple things the actors could have done to end the movie rather than play it out the entire time. Hilarious

I agree that it's best to suspend all reality and just enjoy the show rather than look for plot holes in a show that is literally about the walking dead.  Smirk

I enjoyed it the finale though.  It deviated from the comic a good bit and set up some things for next season.  But I am on record that next season is the last anyway.  We'll see.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2018, 05:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Can someone just tell me how it plays out in the comics with the division between Maggie/Rick/Daryl? I dont want to waste time watching this show anymore but am interested to know if they all work out together in the long run or if they are permanently torn apart.

Spoiler warning for anyone who doesn't want to know what happens in the comics

>
>
>>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>

There's a showdown at Hilltop after the Saviors bomb Alexandria. Dwight shoots Rick with a bolt with Negan believing it has been covered in zombie guts (that was Negan's big plan, to dirty their weapons for slow deaths for anyone who is wounded). Dwight doesn't zombify the bolt and Rick recovers. Negan comes up to the gate and tells them to surrender cause he knows Rick is dead. 

Rick shows up and Negan is all like "WTF, Dwight?".

They talk, Rick tells him how he's going about this all wrong and they can build a stable, stronger world if they work together. This whole time, Negan's reasoning for how he does things is that people die otherwise and this keeps the most people alive. He agrees with Rick and Rick says "good" and slits his throat. He tells the Saviors the war is over but then Negan attacks him. He manages to break Rick's leg before passing out. Rick orders them to save Negan first and not worry about his leg until then. Dwight orders the Saviors to stand down and tells them he's in charge now (he grabs Lucille) and tells them they're going home. 

Maggie and Carl disagree with Negan living. They both want him dead but Rick tells them that they need to be better than Negan. He tells Negan that they're going to build a better world and Negan will watch it from jail where he will die an old man. 

Maggie hates that Negan is alive but respects Rick's decision to be a bigger person. Dwight respects Rick and is happy to lead the Saviors and do their own thing while trading with the others, but never being fully integrated with them as the other three are. 

Basically there's no reason to kill Carl. Rick's brush with death serves as a driving force for his change of heart

>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>>

>>

>
>
>
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2018, 06:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Spoiler warning for anyone who doesn't want to know what happens in the comics

>
>
>>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>
>

There's a showdown at Hilltop after the Saviors bomb Alexandria. Dwight shoots Rick with a bolt with Negan believing it has been covered in zombie guts (that was Negan's big plan, to dirty their weapons for slow deaths for anyone who is wounded). Dwight doesn't zombify the bolt and Rick recovers. Negan comes up to the gate and tells them to surrender cause he knows Rick is dead. 

Rick shows up and Negan is all like "WTF, Dwight?".

They talk, Rick tells him how he's going about this all wrong and they can build a stable, stronger world if they work together. This whole time, Negan's reasoning for how he does things is that people die otherwise and this keeps the most people alive. He agrees with Rick and Rick says "good" and slits his throat. He tells the Saviors the war is over but then Negan attacks him. He manages to break Rick's leg before passing out. Rick orders them to save Negan first and not worry about his leg until then. Dwight orders the Saviors to stand down and tells them he's in charge now (he grabs Lucille) and tells them they're going home. 

Maggie and Carl disagree with Negan living. They both want him dead but Rick tells them that they need to be better than Negan. He tells Negan that they're going to build a better world and Negan will watch it from jail where he will die an old man. 

Maggie hates that Negan is alive but respects Rick's decision to be a bigger person. Dwight respects Rick and is happy to lead the Saviors and do their own thing while trading with the others, but never being fully integrated with them as the other three are. 

Basically there's no reason to kill Carl. Rick's brush with death serves as a driving force for his change of heart

>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>>

>>

>
>
>

And the thing about the show is they will use elements of the comic but they are not beholden to it.

Carol should be dead.  Andrea should be alive and Rick's love interest. Carl lives. Etc.

I've read the comics up through the next group they meet in that incarnation of the Walking Dead so I was looking for scenes that crossed over...but unlike the real diehard "fans" I just enjoy the show without being too critical.  Not every episode is a winner but I want to see where it goes now.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 08:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: And the thing about the show is they will use elements of the comic but they are not beholden to it.

Carol should be dead.  Andrea should be alive and Rick's love interest. Carl lives. Etc.

I've read the comics up through the next group they meet in that incarnation of the Walking Dead so I was looking for scenes that crossed over...but unlike the real diehard "fans" I just enjoy the show without being too critical.  Not every episode is a winner but I want to see where it goes now.

I'm ok with changes. Hell, I'm a huge fan of GoT and that goes way off course from the source. They should just make sense. The reasoning for killing Carl was stupid. The show has been poorly written and poorly paced for seasons. 

The Walking Dead's problem, and I've said this a million times, is they force a small amount of source material into 16 episodes where as GoT condenses a ton of source material into 10 episodes. Even though they change some key elements of the comics, the general framework remains, and forcing yourself into that framework doesn't work for 16 episode seasons. If you're going to add material, create unique story arcs, don't put filler in the middle of comic storylines.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 10:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm ok with changes. Hell, I'm a huge fan of GoT and that goes way off course from the source. They should just make sense. The reasoning for killing Carl was stupid. The show has been poorly written and poorly paced for seasons. 

The Walking Dead's problem, and I've said this a million times, is they force a small amount of source material into 16 episodes where as GoT condenses a ton of source material into 10 episodes. Even though they change some key elements of the comics, the general framework remains, and forcing yourself into that framework doesn't work for 16 episode seasons. If you're going to add material, create unique story arcs, don't put filler in the middle of comic storylines.

I do feel the same way about the "extended episodes".  They are unnecessary and "poorly paced" as you say.  

On the other hand sixty minutes of pure action would be too much, IMHO.  I do like the slower moments...just not so many of them.

The biggest problem I see is the same one all shows face eventually:  lack of new ideas.

TWD is calm --> new threat --> fight --> calm --> repeat. 

In the comic Kirkman can adapt and play more with the theme.  How many issues was all all out war?  A lot more than the few episodes (which was basically a couple days in TWD time) we saw.  Kirkman can stretch as much as he wants...television cost a lot more to produce so they cut to fit.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 11:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: I do feel the same way about the "extended episodes".  They are unnecessary and "poorly paced" as you say.  

On the other hand sixty minutes of pure action would be too much, IMHO.  I do like the slower moments...just not so many of them.

The biggest problem I see is the same one all shows face eventually:  lack of new ideas.

TWD is calm --> new threat --> fight --> calm --> repeat. 

In the comic Kirkman can adapt and play more with the theme.  How many issues was all all out war?  A lot more than the few episodes (which was basically a couple days in TWD time) we saw.  Kirkman can stretch as much as he wants...television cost a lot more to produce so they cut to fit.

I'm not criticizing non action sequences, I'm criticizing useless filler (trash people or ocean people). 

Also, there was a huge stretch of comics where there was no new threat. The first issue after the Governor was issue 49 and, besides a few issues with the cannibals, there was no threat until Negan is first mentioned in issue 96. That was a 4 year stretch. 

All Out War was 12 issues that came out over a 6 month period. That's the very start of the war to defeating Negan without filler. That's not more than 16 episodes, especially the episodes that followed the comics comics contained about 2 issues worth of material per episode. 

That's why I said at the start of the season that I thought they'd end it up by the mid season finale. They were on pace to and those first 3 episodes were actually the best they've had in season. Also, like I said, the show DOESN'T cut, they ADD to source material. They should cut.

Reply/Quote
My issue with the show is it's been pretty much the same thing over and over for many seasons, and TBH the writing and most of the acting aren't good.

Maybe Rick alluded to that with his whole rebuilding and reclaiming speech or whatever. I don't think they'll actually go that route and it will be more of the same. But the conclusion for this show would be how do you move on from this sort of warring nomad tribes to an actual civlization that can thrive?
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 10:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm ok with changes. Hell, I'm a huge fan of GoT and that goes way off course from the source. They should just make sense. The reasoning for killing Carl was stupid. The show has been poorly written and poorly paced for seasons. 

love Game of thrones but they did some horrible translating from book to show in some spots... I can understand not casting everyone needed as that might be too much...   But a lot of the little things that made it great were lost on the TV
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: love Game of thrones but they did some horrible translating from book to show in some spots... I can understand not casting everyone needed as that might be too much...   But a lot of the little things that made it great were lost on the TV

Agreed, there's so much more to love about the books (Dorne for starters) but the show forged its own path and has kept it engaging for 7 seasons. There was a brief period in the 5th season that sucked when they had their greatest deviation into material not yet addressed by GRRM, but they recovered for an awesome 6th and 7th seasons. 

The show, while not as good as the books, is still one of the best things on TV. The Walking Dead once was the same way.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agreed, there's so much more to love about the books 

At some point they test whether they have an actual prime time soap.  If you kill Rick and/or Darryl and still have a show....
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2018, 10:58 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agreed, there's so much more to love about the books (Dorne for starters) but the show forged its own path and has kept it engaging for 7 seasons. There was a brief period in the 5th season that sucked when they had their greatest deviation into material not yet addressed by GRRM, but they recovered for an awesome 6th and 7th seasons. 

The show, while not as good as the books, is still one of the best things on TV. The Walking Dead once was the same way.

don't get me wrong I still enjoy the show....  But weeks ago when eguene was taken by negan people called he would **** with their bullets and end the thing that way....

It should not be that predictable.  (unless that actually happened in the comics)
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 01:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: don't get me wrong I still enjoy the show....  But weeks ago when eguene was taken by negan people called he would **** with their bullets and end the thing that way....

It should not be that predictable.  (unless that actually happened in the comics)

I think many people *thought* Eugene would do that...but I am of the mind that he does what is best for him.  Period.  So it was probably a last minute decision on his part.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2018, 11:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: The biggest problem I see is the same one all shows face eventually:  lack of new ideas.

This pretty much sums up our society in general.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 10:29 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: This pretty much sums up our society in general.

just look at all the new and interesting ideas coming out of Hollywood...
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 10:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: just look at all the new and interesting ideas coming out of Hollywood...

Which one of the two do you like?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 10:29 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: This pretty much sums up our society in general.

To be fair in a zombie apocalypse genre there really are only so many options. Either you try surviving people or zombies.
Reply/Quote

As an aside:

There is now way we would survive a true apocalypse.  We can't leave a sports event in an organized, safe manner.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: To be fair in a zombie apocalypse genre there really are only so many options. Either you try surviving people or zombies.

now they are up in the DC area... they don't get any bad weather really...   or since they film in GA  we probly wont see much snow.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2018, 12:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: As an aside:

There is now way we would survive a true apocalypse.  We can't leave a sports event in an organized, safe manner.

Some people would I'm sure... and not likely the ones we think
Reply/Quote