Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War in America
(08-17-2017, 10:53 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Phil is right,

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this ....

I'd still owe money to the government. Mad
[Image: giphy.gif]
You guys sound more divided than ever.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(08-17-2017, 02:12 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You guys sound more divided than ever.

We've spent a good 40ish years using our junk to draw lines in the sand. The sand being a whole lot of unimportant issues. And that's true from the local level up to the federal. You want to see someone get worked up, go to a local city council meeting and mention zoning... you won't leave for a half hour.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-16-2017, 11:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, her death was tragic, indeed.  I did some reading on the guy who rammed the crowd.  Turns out, he was just some kid, with no direction.  Not even sure if he had any genuine affiliation, other than social media interaction, with any of the groups.  Turns out he told his Mom that he was going to some rally.  I seriously doubt that his action was any orchestrated part of any of the groups involved, but rather a voluntary action by an isolated individual.  That is the danger of these "groups".  This young, semi-orphaned young man, had no direction in his life, and clung to the first bunch of losers that accepted him.

I saw this before and forgot to comment, but just saw it again and remembered. These groups take their logos seriously, it's like a street gang (because in many ways, it is). There are images of him holding a shield with the logo of one of the hate groups earlier in the day on Saturday, in among other members. He has a genuine affiliation.
(08-17-2017, 03:31 PM)Benton Wrote: We've spent a good 40ish years using our junk to draw lines in the sand. The sand being a whole lot of unimportant issues. And that's true from the local level up to the federal. You want to see someone get worked up, go to a local city council meeting and mention zoning... you won't leave for a half hour.

I'm on my city's Board of Zoning Appeals, and currently working with the Planning Commission on our comprehensive plan, he ain't lyin' with this post.
(08-17-2017, 05:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I saw this before and forgot to comment, but just saw it again and remembered. These groups take their logos seriously, it's like a street gang (because in many ways, it is). There are images of him holding a shield with the logo of one of the hate groups earlier in the day on Saturday, in among other members. He has a genuine affiliation.

Thanks for the info.  Btw, they appear to me to be more of poorly organized fraternity, for those with low self esteem, than they do an actual street gang..  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-17-2017, 02:12 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You guys sound more divided than ever.

In overall reality we arent any more divided than any other time. The most divided ever was the Civil War when the traitorous Rebel scum* seceded, which ironically is at the base of whats happening.  

* which movie have heard that in before?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(08-17-2017, 05:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In overall reality we arent any more divided than any other time. The most divided ever was the Civil War when the traitorous Rebel scum* seceded, which ironically is at the base of whats happening.  

* which movie have heard that in before?

Naw man, I'm pretty sure that the KKK, Nazi Party, and Alt-Whichever are all post Civil War entities.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-17-2017, 08:54 AM)Benton Wrote: In the one, you've had years -- eight of them -- of a major network giving voice to anyone advocating dissension and violence against "leftists". And after a long history of not getting too worked up over a 'lone crazy with a gun' people are more comfortable with a guy resolving his problems by shooting someone. .

Which major network advocated violence against the left?

If any network advocates violence against anyone, they wouldn't be on the air anymore. 

I don't watch any news network and only watch local news so I can only guess you are talking about Fox since Fox seems to be the thorn in the lefts side.
(08-17-2017, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the info.  Btw, they appear to me to be more of poorly organized fraternity, for those with low self esteem, than they do an actual street gang..  

It's nice to see that you can recognize that these people are losers and morons, even if our president can't seem to.
I am by NO means saying things are in good shape, but the hyperbolic "things are as bad as ever (or some variation of the like)" is almost comically out of touch. How many years in this country after the civil war was it open season on black people in the south. People actually used to lynch a person (with near impunity) and then take pictures. And not just the people who had murdered another human being. It became a sort of tourist attraction. This is where the term "strange fruit" comes from. I will refrain from posting any links as the content of these actions are horrific.

And then there was Jim Crow. Regardless of how bad things seem on the TV, minorities are not forced into using separate  drinking facilities or bathrooms, or schools...

Oh, and they can now marry any person they want...

etc,etc,etc...

So I get that things are bad, but this is another example of how news sources distort reality for clickbait and add revenue.

Edit: This was supposed to have a quote from Bandini about how divided we are....but I dont know how to go back and include it. Sorry. 
(08-17-2017, 06:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote:
It's nice to see that you can recognize that these people are losers and morons
, even if our president can't seem to.

You doubted me?  Just because I don't want the Country going totally Left, doesn't mean that I support Radical Right.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-17-2017, 06:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's nice to see that you can recognize that these people are losers and morons, even if our president can't seem to.

I'm pretty sure Trump thinks EVERYONE except his family are losers and morons, sooooooooooooooooooooo suck it, Lefty.  ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-17-2017, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Naw man, I'm pretty sure that the KKK, Nazi Party, and Alt-Whichever are all post Civil War entities.

But the statues that are being argued over are due to the Civil War. Keep up!

(08-17-2017, 06:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: But the statues that are being argued over are due to the Civil War. Keep up!

Well, then you misused the word "base" in your previous post.  I interpreted base to mean "the people supporting".  And it can't possibly be any actual Confederates, they have all long since been dead...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-17-2017, 06:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, then you misused the word "base" in your previous post.  I interpreted base to mean "the people supporting".  And it can't possibly be any actual Confederates, they have all long since been dead...

Nope. The Civil War (or secession) was the base for this, as my sentence semi-clearly states.  Tongue

(08-17-2017, 06:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Nope. The Civil War (or secession) was the base for this, as my sentence semi-clearly states.  Tongue

Fail.  You used it in context, to reply to Auturo's question about the US seeming divided.  You referenced being most divided since the Civil War.  Then added, which is at the base of this.  The thing you mention as a reference point cannot be the base of what is dividing us now, as it is in the past tense.  To be honest, what is dividing us right now, is extremism, from both sides.

Get with the program, Millhouse.. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-16-2017, 10:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Is it just me or is the reaction to Charlottesville way more intense than the reaction to the far left wacko who tried to murder a large amount of GOP congressmen?

We're far more desensitized to one white man going on a shooting rampage than we are to hundreds of them marching for Nazism and White Supremacy. 

Even if the guy had actually killed someone, I think the fact that it was one guy with a gun versus a crowd openly marching for those ideas resonates differently in our heads.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-17-2017, 07:11 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're far more desensitized to one white man going on a shooting rampage than we are to hundreds of them marching for Nazism and White Supremacy. 

Even if the guy had actually killed someone, I think the fact that it was one guy with a gun versus a crowd openly marching for those ideas resonates differently in our heads.

Why would that have any more impact on your head, than a so called "peaceful group" like BLM, marching in Minneapolis?  They were vigilant, chanting hate rhetoric like "What do we want?  Dead cops!", and "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon!".  

I don't know exactly why, but I have a good idea..  Because the media painted a picture for you, and you jumped on board.  

I mean, what was all the media frenzy about Ferguson, and Michael Brown?  Witnesses (black folk) even stated that he went for the officer's gun.  And we had weeks of rioting all over the TV for weeks.  Why?  Because the media wanted to push people's opinion.  You, as an educator, should be the first one to realize that it's all a bunch of crap, spun up simply to influence your judgement.  What was the problem with Michael Brown?  He wasn't raised right.  Get back to family values, and most of our crime/hate problems will vanish.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-16-2017, 10:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Is it just me or is the reaction to Charlottesville way more intense than the reaction to the far left wacko who tried to murder a large amount of GOP congressmen?

Hard to say yet if the reaction is way more intense. But if it is, it should be. One incident was the result of a mentally disturbed loner. One and done.

The other involved thousands of people and is connected to a series of similar smaller events. This one could signal further escalation of right wing protests.