Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching "real" football.
(11-20-2018, 12:40 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I wanted to draft him that year since i seen multiple uc games that year and he dominated

Im a Los Angeles native but had  the unfortunate experience of becoming a Bengals fan from an early age....(the Ken Anderson era) ..Watching the Rams come back to LA and what Stan Kronke is doing is just awesome for LA and the fan base here. I am proud to have a team like the Rams to root for when the seasonal Bengal nose dive occurs. After watching that Monday nite game  its really hard to keep rooting for a loser organization like the Bengals. The Rams are doing it right....through the draft , FAs and of course the coaching.....There is such a HUGE gap between whats going  on here in LA on in Cincy.       
Reply/Quote
Oh God, people are still comparing Mahomes to others who have flamed out.

When will you just accept the fact that Mahomes is SPECIAL? His arm is unreal! And his accuracy has been incredible!

He's not flaming out. The Chiefs got a SB caliber QB immediately after we drafted John Ross. We will have to deal with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 02:38 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: 144 plays/ 5 fumbles= one fumble every 29 plays. . 95 pass plays/3ints=0ne int per 31 plays. Over one thousand yards. Yeah a real defensive gem.

In the Detriot-Chicago game today:
115 plays.
1 fumble = 1 fumble in 115 plays. So that's worse than the Chiefs-Rams game.
76 pass plays/2 INTs = one INT per 38 passes. Also worse than the Chiefs-Rams game.
Almost 600 yards. This one wins out there.

You also forgot the 3 TDs the defense scored.
And 8 sacks compared to 6.

You can cherry pick stats all you want. Fact is, these were two great offensive teams that went blow for blow and NEEDED their defenses to step up in dire times. And they did.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 05:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since when is throwing 3 interceptions and fumbling twice a "great game"?

When you score 6 passing TDs, gain over 500 yards through the air and on the ground by yourself, and have a QB rating of 117.6. That's when.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 01:43 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: In the Detriot-Chicago game today:
115 plays.
1 fumble = 1 fumble in 115 plays. So that's worse than the Chiefs-Rams game.
76 pass plays/2 INTs = one INT per 38 passes. Also worse than the Chiefs-Rams game.
Almost 600 yards. This one wins out there.

You also forgot the 3 TDs the defense scored.
And 8 sacks compared to 6.

You can cherry pick stats all you want. Fact is, these were two great offensive teams that went blow for blow and NEEDED their defenses to step up in dire times. And they did.
The rules in the NFL have changed so drastically to favor the offense it makes the games exactly like arena football. It makes it more exciting for people who want to see scoring on every possession but there are some of us who remember "real " football. The Ravens or the 85 Bears who were two of the all time great teams probably wouldn't have won a SB if they had the same rules today. If you aren't old enough to remember great defensive teams then I apologize but the NFL has stolen that part of the game.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 07:27 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: No comparison between the two.

Pretty sure I just did. They aren't the same player, but similar starts to their career. It's easy to forget how he was viewed as the future of the QB position in 2012. I'm not knocking Mahomes. I just doubt we'll be seeing this same level if production in 2-3 years from him. He'll probably still be really good though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2018, 06:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kaepernick did not have the weapons and coiaches that Mahomes has.  Alex Smith was the top rated QB in the league last year with thoise weapons and coaches.  Mahomes is good, but he would not be putting up those record numbers with any other team.

Agreed... And he won't be putting up these same numbers a few seasons from now either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 08:40 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The rules in the NFL have changed so drastically to favor the offense it makes the games exactly like arena football. It makes it more exciting for people who want to see scoring on every possession but there are some of us who remember "real " football. The Ravens or the 85 Bears who were two of the all time great teams probably wouldn't have won a SB if they had the same rules today. If you aren't old enough to remember great defensive teams then I apologize but the NFL has stolen that part of the game.

Amen.  They've gone to far on the offensive side.  I think the early 2000s was a great era.  You couldn't mug WRs anymore, but you could still play defense, and you could still lay the wood.  It was the perfect combo for me....offenses could score, but defenses could still play.  It's like a video game these days.  Not a fan.  Actually, now that I think about it, the late 80s up through the early 2000s was pretty good football.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 02:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Absolutely I would love it, but that does not negate the fact I think the leagues rules all favoring offense is detrimental to the league and the game.

A reporter reached out to various HC's around the league for their thoughts on the game.  It was clear the defensive minded coaches couldn't stand it.  Zimmer stated that he did not watch it as he had no interest in such a style of game, but his comment was quite interesting.

Quote:“Not my cup of tea,” Zimmer said. “It might run me out of football.”
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 11:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: Amen.  They've gone to far on the offensive side.  I think the early 2000s was a great era.  You couldn't mug WRs anymore, but you could still play defense, and you could still lay the wood.  It was the perfect combo for me....offenses could score, but defenses could still play.  It's like a video game these days.  Not a fan.  Actually, now that I think about it, the late 80s up through the early 2000s was pretty good football.

I don't think any team with a QB like McMahon or Dilfer will ever win a SB again. The QBs today can hold the ball until they are bear hugged because the defense isn't allowed to tackle them below the waist or heaven forbid fall on top of them. To make it fair for the defense the QB should be down when touched with two hands. In its effort to protect the star QBs the NFL has ruined the game. When players are taught to tackle when young they are taught to hit at the waist down. Now if they do it to a QB they are fined $25000.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 11:41 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't think any team with a QB like McMahon or Dilfer will ever win a SB again. The QBs today can hold the ball until they are bear hugged because the defense isn't allowed to tackle them below the waist or heaven forbid fall on top of them. To make it fair for the defense the QB should be down when touched with two hands. In its effort to protect the star QBs the NFL has ruined the game. When players are taught to tackle when young they are taught to hit at the waist down. Now if they do it to a QB they are fined $25000.

Yep.....or at least re-implement the in the grasp rule.

Reply/Quote
Every Pro league is moving towards more offense for a multitude of reasons - player safety and fan interest are the two main ones. In hockey, taking out the head shots and open ice hits has significantly opened up the game and now smaller, faster skilled players can flourish. Even though scoring itself is only up a bit, the game to watch is far more exciting.

If the NFL picks up 2 fans who like more offense for every 1 fan it loses for lack of defense, they are fine with it.

This is big business and they will do what ever they have to in order to keep it growing.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
in 2010, 6 qb's passed at more than 65 percent. This year there are 21 doing it, with 4 of them passing over 70 percent.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 11:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....or at least re-implement the in the grasp rule.

A rule that never has gone away, yet (as you pointed out) is never utilized.

It kills me that 3 guys can have Cam or Ben dead to rights, but the officials will not blow the whistle to give him the opportunity to break free, all the while the defenders are afraid to take the guy to the turf because of the risk of being penalized.  Blow the damn whistle and record the sack...
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 12:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: A rule that never has gone away, yet (as you pointed out) is never utilized.

It kills me that 3 guys can have Cam or Ben dead to rights, but the officials will not blow the whistle to give him the opportunity to break free, all the while the defenders are afraid to take the guy to the turf because of the risk of being penalized.  Blow the damn whistle and record the sack...

Amen.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Amen.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 11:41 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't think any team with a QB like McMahon or Dilfer will ever win a SB again. The QBs today can hold the ball until they are bear hugged because the defense isn't allowed to tackle them below the waist or heaven forbid fall on top of them. To make it fair for the defense the QB should be down when touched with two hands. In its effort to protect the star QBs the NFL has ruined the game. When players are taught to tackle when young they are taught to hit at the waist down. Now if they do it to a QB they are fined $25000.

The NFL had to step in because the players and some coaches started to intentionally target QBs (to physically disable them), and it all culminated in the playoff game with Palmer's knee getting destroyed.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:29 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The NFL had to step in because the players and some coaches started to intentionally target QBs (to physically disable them), and it all culminated in the playoff game with Palmer's knee getting destroyed.

I agree with that aspect......but it's gotten a bit overbearing these days, to the say the least.

Reply/Quote
They can also implement a max of 5 yrd rushing max for QBs when they run it down the field? Or maybe now that they don't get "hit", they can't throw the ball away at all, they CAN compensate for the safeguards they've put on the QBs at no advantageous loss to them. BUt that'll be making more new rules.. Sad
Reply/Quote

Some guy posted a pretty funny video on FB about how to sack a QB these days.  Ge had his wife in a helmet and a jersey.  He picked her up and gently laid her on the ground with a pillow under her head.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote