Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne State University drops math requirement. May replace it with diversity credit.
My school (U.D. as some of you know... Go Flyers!!!) was a private Catholic college. There was a requirement that every student take a block of religion courses or, optionally, a block of philosophy courses. Not being Catholic and not being particularly attracted to the religious course offerings (except for Father Burns sex class, but you could never get in that class anyway because it filled up within 2 minutes of being offered), I decided to take the philosophy courses. I gotta say that I really enjoyed those more than I thought I would. Especially the Logic course.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-27-2016, 02:45 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My school (U.D. as some of you know... Go Flyers!!!) was a private Catholic college. There was a requirement that every student take a block of religion courses or, optionally, a block of philosophy courses. Not being Catholic and not being particularly attracted to the religious course offerings (except for Father Burns sex class, but you could never get in that class anyway because it filled up within 2 minutes of being offered), I decided to take the philosophy courses. I gotta say that I really enjoyed those more than I thought I would. Especially the Logic course.

I took the Philosophy of Parapsychology as my philosophy credit. Very interesting. Not a lot of people in the field, so the books were all written by the professor.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-27-2016, 02:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I took the Philosophy of Parapsychology as my philosophy credit. Very interesting. Not a lot of people in the field, so the books were all written by the professor.

Sounds interesting.

I loved my liberal arts ed. I took classes in psychology, sociology, philosophy, biology, history, writing, literature, music and others in addition to ed classes (I was originally going to be an ed major). I wanted to learn it all.  Interdisciplinary studies didn't become big until several  years after I had graduated. I had an opportunity to do grad work in that, but I didn't take advantage of it.  
(06-27-2016, 02:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Since we're in the subject of math in college, I took Calc and Stats in high school. I had taken Algebra II my freshmen year. Well my placement exams were based on algebra II math that I hadn't done in almost 4 years. Needless to say, I had to take their "college algebra" course before I could take pre Calc (the general Ed requirement). It was beyond frustrating retaking math that I remembered as soon as I was doing it again.

I'm doing stats classes, forget all the other math. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-27-2016, 03:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm doing stats classes, forget all the other math. LOL

I use stats multiple times every day in my work.
(06-27-2016, 04:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I use stats multiple times every day in my work.

Everybody uses stats all the time, whether knowingly or not. It's a great math to learn more about.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-27-2016, 04:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Everybody uses stats all the time, whether knowingly or not. It's a great math to learn more about.

Do you have any numbers to back that up?

Mellow
(06-27-2016, 04:20 PM)Benton Wrote: Do you have any numbers to back that up?

Mellow

With a p-value of less than or equal to 0.05 we can infer with a... Ninja

(06-27-2016, 04:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: With a p-value of less than or equal to 0.05 we can infer with a... Ninja

Math jokes are the least appreciated jokes. Five out of three people don't even get them.
(06-27-2016, 04:30 PM)Benton Wrote: Math jokes are the least appreciated jokes. Five out of three people don't even get them.

What is the inverse of infinity?

Nope, you're wrong
My stats professor told us this saying to help us remember the rejection of the null hypothesis: if the p is low, the ho must go. It's not really intended to be dirty, and I don't think that she understood why the kids in the class got such a kick out of it.

(06-27-2016, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: If they did this half of them would realize how badly they are getting screwed by the college offering the class.

[Image: toon-3293.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-27-2016, 12:46 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, it sort of makes sense that a country of immigrants that has been steadily moving towards more service jobs and less manufacturing ones would emphasize diversity (whatever that means) over math.  I'm more likely to run into a trans minority tomorrow than I am to run into a quadratic equation, after all.

Yeah, no.

Even bilingualism doesn't give you much of a premium in the labor force unless you're in Miami and...who the hell wants to go to Miami.

STEMS might be the new law school in about 10 years, but it isn't slowing in growth any time soon. Data science is going nowhere but up as well.

"Diversity" credits are worthless in the labor market.