Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Can Still Punt For Penei
The W vs the stealers didn't really change anything - unless we win again.

At 3-10-1, if we lose our next 2 we'll be 3-12-1.

The JetsJags or JagsJets get the first 2 picks. Even if they both win out, they can't "catch" us.

We're currently slotted at #3.

Above us is Houston at 4-10. If they lose their next 2, they'd be 4-12, and we couldn't "catch" them if we did the same.

Therefore, we had our fun vs. PIT. It was an awesome W, but let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming, go out Sunday and play Bungles Football.

Of course, if it is the Jets at #2, they could very well pick Penei because Fields no longer looks like any sort of a sure thing. I wouldn't want him. If the Jets do pick Penei we need to trade down with some QB hungry team who either wants Fields, Trask, Lance, etc. Jamarr Chase at #3 solves none of our problems.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the jets pick 2/aren’t interested in a QB there- I’d say they’ll trade the pick to a QB hungry team. I think at 3, we’ll get Sewell.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:15 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: If the jets pick 2/aren’t interested in a QB there- I’d say they’ll trade the pick to a QB hungry team. I think at 3, we’ll get Sewell.

Possibly, unless they decide they want Penei. It's not like they don't also need him. 

Reply/Quote
Hate to say it but this is a game that they need to lose vs Houston.
Also, I think that Wilson, the BYU QB, is becoming our best shot for a team to take a QB with pick 2.
I am really rooting for Fields to dominate in the CFP game(s). I don’t think it will happen but that would be the best thing for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
The path to the 3rd overall pick whilst still beating the Ravens

Week 16
Carolina win at Washington
Atlanta at Kansas - can't expect anything here
Houston v Cincy - Texans win
Philly (tied) at Dallas - Philly win (or indeed tie)

Week 17
Cincy v Baltimore - Bengals win
Houston v Titans - if the Texans win Week 16 the Bengals can't catch them so doesn't matter
Atlanta at Tampa - if the Buccs have already clinched their play-off spot they can rest players allowing a shock Falcons win
Philly v Washington - if Philly don't win against the Cowboys a win or tie here would preserve that 3rd pick for Bengaldom
Reply/Quote
I’m not going to lie I want to see wins. I almost don’t care who we pick this year if it’s still top 5 they will get a good player and there are good offensive lineman in rounds 2 and lower. Just get it right.

I think it’s more important to me to feel more confident going into Zacs Third year than draft position, and I don’t want to tank anymore. I’m just being honest here.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:51 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m not going to lie I want to see wins. I almost don’t care who we pick this year if it’s still top 5 they will get a good player and there are good offensive lineman in rounds 2 and lower. Just get it right.

I think it’s more important to me to feel more confident going into Zacs Third year than draft position, and I don’t want to tank anymore. I’m just being honest here.

I don't root for losses either. It's not like whoever we pick in the first will play next year anyway... I dunno. Maybe we're due.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The W vs the stealers didn't really change anything - unless we win again.

The JetsJags or JagsJets get the first 2 picks. Even if they both win out, they can't "catch" us.

Above us is Houston at 4-10. If they lose their next 2, they'd be 4-12, and we couldn't "catch" them if we did the same.

Therefore, we had our fun vs. PIT. It was an awesome W, but let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming, go out Sunday and play Bungles Football.

Of course, if it is the Jets at #2, they could very well pick Penei because Fields no longer looks like any sort of a sure thing. I wouldn't want him. If the Jets do pick Penei we need to trade down with some QB hungry team who either wants Fields, Trask, Lance, etc. Jamarr Chase at #3 solves none of our problems.

Bengals play Houston this week. They both can't lose the game, even though both have lost the season.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully we get Sewell.

The good news is there's a player named Rashawn Slater who many people are saying is not far behind Sewell (and some are ballsy enough to rank him higher than Sewell)

Normally, I wouldn't pay much mind to one person making an outlier projection/ranking but Daniel Jeremiah is considered a good evaluator. He was the one calling Mekhi Becton OT1 in last year's class and, while it's still early, he has definitely performed very well for the Jets compared to Andrew Thomas for the Giants.

I haven't watched Slater play so I have no idea if the buzz is warranted, but I would not be surprised if the 2nd and 3rd best prospects in the draft end up being Sewell and Slater by the time the draft is here. The offseason allows for a lot of movement up and down boards and, while I don't think Sewell is going anywhere in terms of being a top 5 prospect in the class, I think Slater has a pretty good chance of trending up towards that area, assuming the hype around him is warranted.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: At 3-10-1, if we lose our next 2 we'll be 3-12-1.

What are you? Some kind of math wizard? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hopefully we get Sewell.

The good news is there's a player named Rashawn Slater who many people are saying is not far behind Sewell (and some are ballsy enough to rank him higher than Sewell)

Normally, I wouldn't pay much mind to one person making an outlier projection/ranking but Daniel Jeremiah is considered a good evaluator. He was the one calling Mekhi Becton OT1 in last year's class and, while it's still early, he has definitely performed very well for the Jets compared to Andrew Thomas for the Giants.

I haven't watched Slater play so I have no idea if the buzz is warranted, but I would not be surprised if the 2nd and 3rd best prospects in the draft end up being Sewell and Slater by the time the draft is here. The offseason allows for a lot of movement up and down boards and, while I don't think Sewell is going anywhere in terms of being a top 5 prospect in the class, I think Slater has a pretty good chance of trending up towards that area, assuming the hype around him is warranted.

AU165 seems pretty bullish on Slater, and I certainly trust his opinion. Him and Synric are a couple of the most knowledgeable posters here when it comes to the draft, x’s & o’s, etc.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Bengals play Houston this week. They both can't lose the game, even though both have lost the season.

Ehhh...although I forgot about that when I wrote my post, both of these teams are capable of playing and producing 2 L's. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hopefully we get Sewell.

Ehhhh, guy also called Billy Price a "day 1 starter at either Guard or Center".

Don't get cute with the pick. If Sewell is there, take him. Thinking they're smarter than the consensus despite a lack of scouts is what gets the Bengals into trouble. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What are you? Some kind of math wizard? 

Yeah. Probably the best that I know of. 

Reply/Quote
I think the Jets (or Jags if they blow it ) are going to draft Sewelll and move back in the top 10 to draft their QB if they want one.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhhh, guy also called Billy Price a "day 1 starter at either Guard or Center".

Don't get cute with the pick. If Sewell is there, take him. Thinking they're smarter than the consensus despite a lack of scouts is what gets the Bengals into trouble. 

I'm speaking specifically in the scenario where 1 and 2 are Lawrence and Sewell. It would suck, but I think Slater could end up being a good pick at 3 if Sewell is not available.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 02:04 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: The W vs the stealers didn't really change anything - unless we win again.

we play the texans right?  so it will be hard for us both to lose out....   And if we beat them we have a tie breaker for a better record and get the lesser draft slot
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AU165 seems pretty bullish on Slater, and I certainly trust his opinion. Him and Synric are a couple of the most knowledgeable posters here when it comes to the draft, x’s & o’s, etc.

Yea, I trust AU165. If he is good with Slater, then I'm sure he'll have a good off season and be considered "worth" the third overall pick.
Reply/Quote
Doesn’t Miami own the Texans first round pick this year?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 03:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm speaking specifically in the scenario where 1 and 2 are Lawrence and Sewell. It would suck, but I think Slater could end up being a good pick at 3 if Sewell is not available.

I don't know. I don't think I want the 2nd best OT with the 3rd overall pick. That sounds an awful lot like settling, which is rough to do when there's legit talent available there.

If Sewell isn't there, I would go Ja'Marr Chase or maybe consider trading down (depending on the return) just a couple spots (probably no lower than 6th or 7th) to a team who wants Fields and take Kyle Pitts (or maybe Slater if he's still there).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote