Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
We Signed Nick Scott!
(03-18-2023, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When this signing was first announced, I was like "meh, yawn", as I was still in mourning over losing Vonn Bell's experience and chemistry with the existing defense.  Now, as I learn more about Scott, I am really warming up to his addition to the team.  His speed and crushing hits attacking with a RBs mentality could very well result in a seamless transition.

Once again, the folks in charge show why they get paid to make football decisions and I just sit here and criticize the actions that I don't agree with.  Well done, Bengals personnel team!

Well, you hear Nick Scott and it is like John Smith. I mean the name just doesn't scream the next great Safety of the Bengals.

But....

(03-18-2023, 04:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: "A smart player. Extremely tough. Extremely athletic. Excellent locker room guy," says Joe DeCamillis, his special teams coordinator with the Rams and a highly regarded 34-year NFL man.
"He was a leader in the special teams area, but then last year after some of the older guys left in the secondary, Nick definitely took that over and became a huge leader. I think you're getting a player that's on the come and on the rise. He's a very physical player, but also a very smart player. I think that's why the defense just kept putting more and more on his plate and he kept getting better and better. Those are the kind of guys, hungry like that, and now that he's at a place where he's a solid starter in this league, I think he's only going to get better from there."

The reports are he’s a huge locker room guy.

What we lost in Vonn Bell was smarts and this guy must have it to have such praise from a good ST's coordinator.
Reply/Quote
The was a solid and needed signing. To sign a player ascending rather than descending is brilliant. Nobody likes losing 2 very good starting safeties but I do not mind the trade off with OBJ and Scott.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, you hear Nick Scott and it is like John Smith. I mean the name just doesn't scream the next great Safety of the Bengals.

But....

What we lost is Vonn Bell was smarts and this guy must have it to have such praise from a good ST's coordinator.

I don’t want to be a party pooper like my buddy LeonardLeap but coming down after the OBJr signing I look back on last year. Cappa, Karras, and Collins. Now I was more skeptical with Collins. There were vibes that the Bucs and Pat fans weren’t happy about losing them. Similar to Bell with us. Collins I never got the fuzzies except I thought he’d help. Now I think OBJr is the real deal. I think Volson will be exceedingly better. Coming from FCS and a rookie I think he takes a huge leap. Karras & Cappa a second year together.

But safety worries me. You are replacing the best safety tandem in the league with tons of experience. You are replacing them with a very inexperienced second year player and a very inexperienced starting safety. The Rams didn’t want him and he wasn’t expensive. I get reports are positive and I think he can become operative. But are we going to struggle on the backend early like we did in the OL? They’d better get those boys some preseason time.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 04:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t want to be a party pooper like my buddy LeonardLeap but coming down after the OBJr signing I look back on last year. Cappa, Karras, and Collins. Now I was more skeptical with Collins. There were vibes that the Bucs and Pat fans weren’t happy about losing them. Similar to Bell with us. Collins I never got the fuzzies except I thought he’d help. Now I think OBJr is the real deal. I think Volson will be exceedingly better. Coming from FCS and a rookie I think he takes a huge leap. Karras & Cappa a second year together.

But safety worries me. You are replacing the best safety tandem in the league with tons of experience. You are replacing them with a very inexperienced second year player and a very inexperienced starting safety. The Rams didn’t want him and he wasn’t expensive. I get reports are positive and I think he can become operative. But are we going to struggle on the backend early like we did in the OL? They’d better get those boys some preseason time.

Will have to play these guys in the Preseason for sure. But I love Dax Hill for the future and we needed a smart guy beside him and 
Nick Scott seems to be really smart and he likes to hit. People can say we had the best Safety tandem in the league with Bates and Bell
but who knows if Lou had a bunch to do with it. I wasn't very impressed with Bates in his second year or Bell before he came here.

Dax Hill could be the next great Safety all by himself, that is how high I am on him, he just needs snaps. He made a great play in the 
Bills Playoff game in the endzone knocking the ball away from Dawson Knox. This showed a little of what I am talking about with Dax.

I will have to watch some of Scott's film to really judge what we have here, but we also have Tycen and can draft a talent.

Yah never know, might even add another Safety in FA, like Rapp or Gardner-Johnson, I am not throwing anything out the window.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 04:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t want to be a party pooper like my buddy LeonardLeap but coming down after the OBJr signing I look back on last year. Cappa, Karras, and Collins. Now I was more skeptical with Collins. There were vibes that the Bucs and Pat fans weren’t happy about losing them. Similar to Bell with us. Collins I never got the fuzzies except I thought he’d help. Now I think OBJr is the real deal. I think Volson will be exceedingly better. Coming from FCS and a rookie I think he takes a huge leap. Karras & Cappa a second year together.

The Rams did want him back, actually. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-fended-off-rams-broncos-and-bucs-for-nick-scott/ar-AA18MYnm
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 04:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The Rams did want him back, actually. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-fended-off-rams-broncos-and-bucs-for-nick-scott/ar-AA18MYnm

Good to know, thanks. He didn’t cost much. Surprised he didn’t stay
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Will have to play these guys in the Preseason for sure. But I love Dax Hill for the future and we needed a smart guy beside him and 
Nick Scott seems to be really smart and he likes to hit. People can say we had the best Safety tandem in the league with Bates and Bell
but who knows if Lou had a bunch to do with it. I wasn't very impressed with Bates in his second year or Bell before he came here.

Dax Hill could be the next great Safety all by himself, that is how high I am on him, he just needs snaps. He made a great play in the 
Bills Playoff game in the endzone knocking the ball away from Dawson Knox. This showed a little of what I am talking about with Dax.

I will have to watch some of Scott's film to really judge what we have here, but we also have Tycen and can draft a talent.

Yah never know, might even add another Safety in FA, like Rapp or Gardner-Johnson, I am not throwing anything out the window.

I’m not as concerned long term as I am the inexperience factor. How many games does it take? Think Dax Hill was a great pick. But when does he mature in the spot?

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not as concerned long term as I am the inexperience factor. How many games does it take? Think Dax Hill was a great pick. But when does he mature in the spot?

As long as we play Dax plenty in the preseason like you say I think he will be ready by the opener. He is a pro ready type of player.

Just needs to make a few mistakes in preseason and learn from them. It isn't like Bates and Bell didn't make mistakes and give up TD's
in their time here. As long as Dax and Scott aren't getting beat over the top a lot we will be fine. Don't expect it either with what I am 
hearing of Nick Scott's smarts and Lou liking what he has in both these guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As long as we play Dax plenty in the preseason like you say I think he will be ready by the opener. He is a pro ready type of player.

Just needs to make a few mistakes in preseason and learn from them. It isn't like Bates and Bell didn't make mistakes and give up TD's
in their time here. As long as Dax and Scott aren't getting beat over the top a lot we will be fine. Don't expect it either with what I am 
hearing of Nick Scott's smarts and Lou liking what he has in both these guys.

I’m usually aligned with your optimism lol but not so much this go around. I think we struggle early there.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:07 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Good to know, thanks. He didn’t cost much. Surprised he didn’t stay

They're going to be in rebuild mode for a couple years and he has a chance to start on a superbowl contender. Not to mention he would make a good amount less in LA with the tax difference. I would imagine those played a part but who knows, not sure of LA offered the same or a little less. 

Apparently we offered Perine the same amount as Denver but he chose to leave. Sometimes guys just want a change in scenery I guess. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m usually aligned with your optimism lol but not so much this go around. I think we struggle early there.

Cool, I think we might struggle a bit at Safety early especially if the starters don't play much in the preseason.

I can live with that as long as we don't lose games because of it while Dax is learning to be a pro starter.

(03-18-2023, 05:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: They're going to be in rebuild mode for a couple years and he has a chance to start on a superbowl contender. Not to mention he would make a good amount less in LA with the tax difference. I would imagine those played a part but who knows, not sure of LA offered the same or a little less. 

Apparently we offered Perine the same amount as Denver but he chose to leave. Sometimes guys just want a change in scenery I guess. 

That surprises me. Why would Samaje want to go to a rebuilding Denver team over possibly starting here for a SB contender?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:26 PM)TheFan Wrote: They're going to be in rebuild mode for a couple years and he has a chance to start on a superbowl contender. Not to mention he would make a good amount less in LA with the tax difference. I would imagine those played a part but who knows, not sure of LA offered the same or a little less. 

That’s is 100% correct. They were very surprised he left. I think after living in Joe Mixon’s shadow both at Okla and here he wanted away. And as I’ve been saying Joe’s not going anywhere. Perine stays if he’s told he’s the bell cow.

Samaje just recently moved from Norman to the Austin area where his parents live. You know Cincy resurrected his career. He was barely holding on. Surprised as hell he left.

Reply/Quote
Based on previous FA defensive signings in the last couple of years, I think they get the benefit of doubt for signing players who may not be huge names.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:56 PM)Destro Wrote: Based on previous FA defensive signings in the last couple of years, I think they get the benefit of doubt for signing players who may not be huge names.

Good point

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 05:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool, I think we might struggle a bit at Safety early especially if the starters don't play much in the preseason.

I can live with that as long as we don't lose games because of it while Dax is learning to be a pro starter.

That surprises me. Why would Samaje want to go to a rebuilding Denver team over possibly starting here for a SB contender?

No idea. As Soonerpeace said the Bengals were apparently surprised as well. This was reported by Paul Dehner so I assume he's not making stuff up about both the Bengals equaling the offer and being caught off guard with him deciding to leave. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 07:35 PM)TheFan Wrote: No idea. As Soonerpeace said the Bengals were apparently surprised as well. This was reported by Paul Dehner so I assume he's not making stuff up about both the Bengals equaling the offer and being caught off guard with him deciding to leave. 

I didn’t get it from the internet or twitter. It’s true. I was waiting for it to break before mentioning here.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 07:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I didn’t get it from the internet or twitter. It’s true. I was waiting for it to break before mentioning here.

You spoke to the staff directly? Or what do you mean?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 08:03 PM)TheFan Wrote: You spoke to the staff directly? Or what do you mean?

Didn’t say. Just knew before it was public. But it’s true.

Reply/Quote
Nick Scott is a terrific addition to Lou Anarumo’s defense. I’ve spent the last hour watching film on Nick and he’s a thumper like Von Bell with outstanding tackling skills. He wraps up and drives the ball carrier to the ground with alacrity. Ask AJ Green or Deebo Samuel!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF says he was fantastic against the run (77ish) and abysmal vs the pass (43ish).

Good tackler, which is what Lou always goes for. I'm sure Lou will work on him in coverage. He was a former DB coach, after all.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote