Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We don't need no stinking help.
(11-08-2018, 08:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Players play. Coaches coach. Owners own. It’s a business for MB, can’t blame him for making money. Our roster has a lot of talent and (for once) we made changes in coaching. Teams do not rush out and grab every decent player on the market (specially plagued players to your locker room like DB). 5-3 coming out of the bye? Let’s talk about this for a second.

If I’m a coach (which I’m not) I would think I worked with these guys through TC and through the season. I have to believe I have the best team, and also know the depth behind them. I should know the ins and outs of every player and his strengths and weaknesses. My assistant coaches should also know what I know in their respective players.

Let’s go back to MB. Did the coaches ask for this or that any player to be signed? Doubtful. So, if he were the old MB, he could have forced a signing and said play him. But that would not be good. So, I’m guessing MB should be off the hook. But let’s not stop there.

Let’s say this coaching staff never recommended anyone because they believe with what they have, they can do better than sustain, but build the momentum from where we are currently. They are with these guys all the time. They had a good inkling on who would be ready after the bye. So let’s give them a pass as 
Now on to the players. Guys just have to do their job. Throw, catch, run and tackle better than the other guys.

So to answer your question, I’m just a fan that doesn’t quit. My fandom foundation may shake a little (like after the KC game), but it will never break. I will get depressed, deflated, discouraged (and now the Big D) disappointed. Yet, after a few days, a few beers and real problems of life come back into perspective, I’m good again.

Go Bengals!
So you are lobbying for Hobsons job. You sound just like him.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 08:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Players play. Coaches coach. Owners own. It’s a business for MB, can’t blame him for making money. Our roster has a lot of talent and (for once) we made changes in coaching. Teams do not rush out and grab every decent player on the market (specially plagued players to your locker room like DB). 5-3 coming out of the bye? Let’s talk about this for a second.

If I’m a coach (which I’m not) I would think I worked with these guys through TC and through the season. I have to believe I have the best team, and also know the depth behind them. I should know the ins and outs of every player and his strengths and weaknesses. My assistant coaches should also know what I know in their respective players.

Let’s go back to MB. Did the coaches ask for this or that any player to be signed? Doubtful. So, if he were the old MB, he could have forced a signing and said play him. But that would not be good. So, I’m guessing MB should be off the hook. But let’s not stop there.

Let’s say this coaching staff never recommended anyone because they believe with what they have, they can do better than sustain, but build the momentum from where we are currently. They are with these guys all the time. They had a good inkling on who would be ready after the bye. So let’s give them a pass as well.

Now on to the players. Guys just have to do their job. Throw, catch, run and tackle better than the other guys.

So to answer your question, I’m just a fan that doesn’t quit. My fandom foundation may shake a little (like after the KC game), but it will never break. I will get depressed, deflated, discouraged (and now the Big D) disappointed. Yet, after a few days, a few beers and real problems of life come back into perspective, I’m good again.

Go Bengals!

I think another issue is that young players need meaningful snaps in order to develop, especially with all the current limitations on padded practices.  The kids need an opportunity to learn and gain confidence.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 09:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think another issue is that young players need meaningful snaps in order to develop, especially with all the current limitations on padded practices.  The kids need an opportunity to learn and gain confidence.  

Dude, I agree. We have to develop our rookies.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 07:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot like Randy Moss with the Raiders before he went to the Pats..

If Dez was correct and his declining production was the result of poor offensive schemes and play calling in Dallas then he is going to the best place possible to shine.

Or he could just implode.

With Sean Payton, Drew Brees, Michael Thomas and Kamara there is little chance Dez will get to slack off and keep his roster spot.

You are correct that he's in the perfect place to shine. If he implodes, it will all be on him.

I look at it this way, Dez sees an opportunity for a ring and he'll be on his best behavior to get one. The Saints could be the best team in football right now.

The Bengals, however, are still owned by Mike Brown and as much as we hope for change, it never really arrives in the right amount to make the difference that needs to be made.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 09:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals currently hold a playoff spot.

What is it about playing the victim that people love so much?  I am not saying you have to predict the Bengals will win the Super Bowl, but claiming they are an "embarrassment" when they are ahead of so many other teams is ridiculous.  I don't understand why so many people get so much enjoyment from painting themselves a the victim.

The franchise hasn't ever won a SB.
They haven't won a playoff game in nearly 30 years.
They are coming off back to back inferior seasons.
Most people consider the Bengals as one of the worst franchises in the NFL.
We have arguably the worst owner in sports.

Not playing victim, just calling it like the majority of humanity see it. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I am the type of guy who does not squeal and cry because the Bengals are doing exactly the same thing as most other teams in the league.

Not winning a playoff game since 1991 is exactly what all the other teams are doing?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:52 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Not winning a playoff game since 1991 is exactly what all the other teams are doing?

Beat me to it... .
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:22 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Most people consider the Bengals as one of the worst franchises in the NFL.

No they don't.

More Bengal fans here think like that than most people around the country.

I feel sorry for anyone who claims they are embarrassed by the Bengals 5-3 record currently holding a playoff spot.  People like that just love to whine and play the victim.

Bengals are not an elite team, but they have been better than most other teams in the league over the last several years.  FAR from an "embarrassment".  Since Marvin became HC we have the tenth best record in the league and only 8 of the other 31 teams have made the playoffs more times than the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No they don't.

I feel sorry for anyone who claims they are embarrassed by the Bengals 5-3 record currently holding a playoff spot.  People like that just love to whine and play the victim.

Bengals are not an elite team, but they have been better than most other teams in the league over the last several years.  FAR from an "embarrassment".

In all fairness, we've avoided some of that national embarrassment by failing to make the playoffs 2 years running, too.
Reply/Quote
The National embarrassment has simply changed from the pathetic franchise to the pathetic playoff record franchise to the pathetic re-signing of the 0-7 playoff record HC. If we are fortunate enough to get a wild card, the laughable 0-7 will be right in the spotlight.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness, we've avoided some of that national embarrassment by failing to make the playoffs 2 years running, too.

(11-09-2018, 02:06 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The National embarrassment has simply changed from the pathetic franchise to the pathetic playoff record franchise to the pathetic re-signing of the 0-7 playoff record HC. If we are fortunate enough to get a wild card, the laughable 0-7 will be right in the spotlight.

Only Bengal fans think it is worse to lose in the playoffs  than to have a losing record and miss the playoffs.

Got to come up with the spin to justify all that whining.  Can't say "We are a decent team but we need to get better."  It has to be "Waa. Waa.  We are the WORST.  Poor me.  I have to be embarrassed to be a Bengals fan.  Don't you all feel sorry for me?"
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only Bengal fans think it is worse to lose in the playoffs  than to have a losing record and miss the playoffs.

Got to come up with the spin to justify all that whining.  Can't say "We are a decent team but we need to get better."  It has to be "Waa. Waa.  We are the WORST.  Poor me.  I have to be embarrassed to be a Bengals fan.  Don't you all feel sorry for me?"

I just said we avoided our yearly national embarrassment the past 2 years.  Maybe where you live the 2015 meltdown vs the Steelers was held in higher regard. 

I don't think it takes much spin to make that debacle look bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 01:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No they don't.

Bengals are not an elite team, but they have been better than most other teams in the league over the last several years.  FAR from an "embarrassment".  Since Marvin became HC we have the tenth best record in the league and only 8 of the other 31 teams have made the playoffs more times than the Bengals.

I'm with you. I'd much rather have seasons with at least 7-9 than repeated seasons of double-digit losses.
When I think of "embarrassments" around the league the past 15 years, I think of:
Browns
Raiders
Bills

Maybe you could lump in teams who had a long stretch of bad seasons like the Rams, 49ers, Bears, Lions, Dolphins, etc.
But by no means should the Bengals be lumped in with those bottom-feeder teams just because they have been terrible in the postseason. At least they've made it to the postseason quite a number of times over the past 15 years unlike those teams listed above.

People treat mediocrity like it's the worst thing in the world.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:06 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The National embarrassment has simply changed from the pathetic franchise to the pathetic playoff record franchise to the pathetic re-signing of the 0-7 playoff record HC. If we are fortunate enough to get a wild card, the laughable 0-7 will be right in the spotlight.

Anything systematic and negative is definitely not a good sign.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only Bengal fans think it is worse to lose in the playoffs  than to have a losing record and miss the playoffs.

Oh STFU Fred, quite apologizing for the hopeless franchise. The reason we cant say "We need to get better" is because we never do. Please continue to relish first round playoff losses intermingled in years of not making the playoffs and consider this 'progress'. This is not a pity party, it is a blame fest. Much different, man you truly are clueless. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm with you. I'd much rather have seasons with at least 7-9 than repeated seasons of double-digit losses.
When I think of "embarrassments" around the league the past 15 years, I think of:
Browns
Raiders
Bills

Maybe you could lump in teams who had a long stretch of bad seasons like the Rams, 49ers, Bears, Lions, Dolphins, etc.
But by no means should the Bengals be lumped in with those bottom-feeder teams just because they have been terrible in the postseason. At least they've made it to the postseason quite a number of times over the past 15 years unlike those teams listed above.

If we remain mediocre then NOTHING will change. Only long stretches of bad provides any chance of anything more than cosmetic change. 

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 03:30 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: If we remain mediocre then NOTHING will change. Only long stretches of bad provides any chance of anything more than cosmetic change. 

[Image: 63798546.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm with you. I'd much rather have seasons with at least 7-9 than repeated seasons of double-digit losses.
Browns
Raiders
Bills

Hell yeah, let others be outstanding us Bengals fans are happy just to not be the Browns. Where in the hell is the sarcasm font?????
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 03:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Hell yeah, let others be outstanding us Bengals fans are happy just to not be the Browns. Where in the hell is the sarcasm font?????

No one ever said we're happy, but some people act like being 0-7 in playoffs is as bad as the Browns have been since Marvin became HC.
At least the fans got to enjoy a good regular season many times over the past 15 years unlike the Browns. The Browns have had like 1-2 winning seasons in that same span and didn't even appear in a playoff game.

Would you rather the Bengals go 5-11 every year than making the playoffs and lose in the first round?
Sure, I'd love for them to win playoff game(s) but I'd much rather watch the past 15 years of the Bengals compared to those bottom-feeder teams.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No one ever said we're happy, but some people act like being 0-7 in playoffs is as bad as the Browns have been since Marvin became HC.
At least the fans got to enjoy a good regular season many times over the past 15 years unlike the Browns. The Browns have had like 1-2 winning seasons in that same span and didn't even appear in a playoff game.

Would you rather the Bengals go 5-11 every year than making the playoffs and lose in the first round?
Sure, I'd love for them to win playoff game(s) but I'd much rather watch the past 15 years of the Bengals compared to those bottom-feeder teams.

I'm sorry that I come off as being ungrateful for all the exciting primetime and playoff victories we have had that the Mike and Marv show have produced for our entertainment over the years. But I am a selfish fan who won't truly be satisfied until they win a Super Bowl victory. There is a saying that all people rise thru a company til the reach their level of incompetence. Mike and Marv reached theirs a decade ago.
Reply/Quote