Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We don't need no stinking help.
(11-09-2018, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  Maybe where you live the 2015 meltdown vs the Steelers was held in higher regard. 

Not just where I live, but pretty much everywhere in the country a playoff loss, no matter how bad, is better than not making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I'm sorry that I come off as being ungrateful for all the exciting primetime and playoff victories we have had that the Mike and Marv show have produced for our entertainment over the years. But I am a selfish fan who won't truly be satisfied until they win a Super Bowl victory. There is a saying that all people rise thru a company til the reach their level of incompetence. Mike and Marv reached theirs a decade ago.

Ok. Using the analogy of people rising through a company, wouldn't you say though that while not everyone reached a senior-level role, an individual who rose to a mid-level role accomplished more than one who never got out of the introductory level?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok. Using the analogy of people rising through a company, wouldn't you say though that while not everyone reached a senior-level role, an individual who rose to a mid-level role accomplished more than one who never got out of the introductory level?

Oh yeah no doubt Marv was a good coordinator but a head coach for 15 years??? 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 03:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Hell yeah, let others be outstanding us Bengals fans are happy just to not be the Browns. Where in the hell is the sarcasm font?????

No one is happy "just not to beat the Browns".

All I am saying is that it is ridiculous to call a team that wins more games and goes to the playoffs more often than most other teams in the league an "embarrassment".  

Maybe this will help prove my point.  If you think the Bengal are an embarrassment then tell me how many other teams in the NFL are also embarrassments.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is happy "just not to beat the Browns".

All I am saying is that it is ridiculous to call a team that wins more games and goes to the playoffs more often than most other teams in the league an "embarrassment".  

Maybe this will help prove my point.  If you think the Bengal are an embarrassment then tell me how many other teams in the NFL are also embarrassments.

How many of those teams have gone 27 years without winning a playoff game? 15 of those years with the same head coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: But I am a selfish fan who won't truly be satisfied until they win a Super Bowl victory.

Same with everyone else here.  None of us are satisfied with playoff losses, but it is still ridiculous to claim that a playoff team is an embarrassment.  Just because I don't claim to be embarrassed by winning more games than most other teams does not mean I am satisfied with losing in the playoffs.

BTW I have found that most people who claim they are superior to others because they don't "accept mediocrity" usually live pretty mediocre lives.  So get off your high horse.  I am not impressed by whining.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:27 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: How many of those teams have gone 27 years without winning a playoff game? 15 of those years with the same head coach.

So you actually let Browns fans talk shit to you?  Man you must really LOVE playing the victim.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same with everyone else here.  None of us are satisfied with playoff losses, but it is still ridiculous to claim that a playoff team is an embarrassment.  Just because I don't claim to be embarrassed by winning more games than most other teams does not mean I am satisfied with losing in the playoffs.

BTW I have found that most people who claim they are superior to others because they don't "accept mediocrity" usually live pretty mediocre lives.  So get off your high horse.  I am not impressed by whining.

Not trying to claim superiority or impress anyone. Just stating my opinion. If it differs from your loser mentality I'm grateful.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Oh yeah no doubt Marv was a good coordinator but a head coach for 15 years??? 

No one ever said just because the Bengals have been better than the Browns that Marvin Lewis should stay as HC. You (for whatever reason) assumed that. I've been one for quite some time who thought/thinks Marvin Lewis has plateaued and someone else should be brought in to try to take the next step. But it's definitely unfair to consider the Bengals (and even Marvin Lewis) an "embarrassment" when, to me, the true embarrassments from the past 15 years have been the Browns, Bills, and Raiders.

Let's just call Marvin and the Bengals what they have been...good, not great. Definitely not the best, definitely not the worst. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I am the type of guy who does not squeal and cry because the Bengals are doing exactly the same thing as most other teams in the league.

and THAT my friends is the exact meaning of MEDIOCRITY!!!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:33 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Not trying to claim superiority or impress anyone. Just stating my opinion. If it differs from your loser mentality I'm grateful.

If you are not trying to claim you are superior why do you claim I have a "loser mentality"?  I have said that I am not satisfied with losing playoff games.  So what is your basis for claiming I have a "loser mentality"?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same with everyone else here.  None of us are satisfied with playoff losses, but it is still ridiculous to claim that a playoff team is an embarrassment.  Just because I don't claim to be embarrassed by winning more games than most other teams does not mean I am satisfied with losing in the playoffs.

So much this.

For example, let's say a fan who "doesn't accept mediocrity" is a salesperson. Would he/she consider himself an "embarrassment" if he/she didn't win the "salesperson of the year" award every year? Or would they more likely be satisfied with still hitting the company goals and even possibly exceeding expectations? I'd guess it's more often than not the latter.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Not trying to claim superiority or impress anyone. Just stating my opinion. If it differs from your loser mentality I'm grateful.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:43 PM)RASCAL Wrote: and THAT my friends is the exact meaning of MEDIOCRITY!!!

Actually that has nothing to do with mediocrity.

Some of the best teams in the league did exactly what the Bengals did.  The Patriots did not make any moves to bring in new players.  Neither did the Steelers.  Neither did the Chiefs.  Are you claiming that they are also the definition of mediocrity?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that has nothing to do with mediocrity.

Some of the best teams in the league did exactly what the Bengals did.  The Patriots did not make any moves to bring in new players.  Neither did the Steelers.  Neither did the Chiefs.  Are you claiming that they are also the definition of mediocrity?

Although on the surface, you would think the teams you mentioned would not need as much help as the Bengals, when in actuality, all teams have weaknesses and those you mentioned would probably feel a more urgent need since they want to make sure they are strong in the playoffs. But they didn't. It's pretty tough to spend big money to bring in a guy who has to learn the system in a very quick way. I think this is why coaches try and coach up what they have and survive until critical guys come back. If you don't trust the guys you have, you wouldn't have them on the 53.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually that has nothing to do with mediocrity.

These are not mediocre teams. The Bengals lost to the Steelers, got blown out by the Chiefs, barely beat Tampa, and knew two weeks ago they  lost their no1 receiver. We are in contention for a playoff spot but did absolutely nothing. If it is your opinion there are no players that will help this team then we will have to agree to disagree. Mike Browns bank account is why they refuse to get better. 
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 05:04 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: These are not mediocre teams. The Bengals lost to the Steelers, got blown out by the Chiefs, barely beat Tampa, and knew two weeks ago they  lost their no1 receiver. We are in contention for a playoff spot but did absolutely nothing. If it is your opinion there are no players that will help this team then we will have to agree to disagree. Mike Browns bank account is why they refuse to get better. 

So the Chiefs don't need any help on their defense?

Hilarious 

That's a good one.

Obviously the Chiefs don't care about winning either.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not just where I live, but pretty much everywhere in the country a playoff loss, no matter how bad, is better than not making the playoffs.

Ah I live in Steeler country. Not too many people around here were particularly impressed by the Bengals.  Some of them were pretty grateful they got to take in ol Marvin in the opening game.  Alas, their confidence was not their downfall.  Life is so unfair. 

Also I was at a Steelers Bengals game in Pittsburgh in 2013 and one guy there said "the Bengals will win the division but they won't do anything in the playoffs" damn that prophet!
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 06:58 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dez hasn't exactly set the world on fire recently...  and has a lot of baggage.

And Dez won't be starting any more fires, at least not this season.  In his 2nd practice with the Saints he tore an achilles.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 04:13 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I'm sorry that I come off as being ungrateful for all the exciting primetime and playoff victories we have had that the Mike and Marv show have produced for our entertainment over the years. But I am a selfish fan who won't truly be satisfied until they win a Super Bowl victory. There is a saying that all people rise thru a company til the reach their level of incompetence. Mike and Marv reached theirs a decade ago.

(11-09-2018, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is happy "just not to beat the Browns".

(11-09-2018, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No one ever said just because the Bengals have been better than the Browns that Marvin Lewis should stay as HC. You (for whatever reason) assumed that. I've been one for quite some time who thought/thinks Marvin Lewis has plateaued and someone else should be brought in to try to take the next step. But it's definitely unfair to consider the Bengals (and even Marvin Lewis) an "embarrassment" when, to me, the true embarrassments from the past 15 years have been the Browns, Bills, and Raiders.

Let's just call Marvin and the Bengals what they have been...good, not great. Definitely not the best, definitely not the worst. 

(11-09-2018, 06:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah I live in Steeler country. Not too many people around here were particularly impressed by the Bengals.  Some of them were pretty grateful they got to take in ol Marvin in the opening game.  Alas, their confidence was not their downfall.  Life is so unfair. 

Also I was at a Steelers Bengals game in Pittsburgh in 2013 and one guy there said "the Bengals will win the division but they won't do anything in the playoffs"  damn that prophet!

I think there are 2 undeniable facts that everyone should be able to agree on:

They have been good enough to make the playoffs 7 times in 15 years under Marvin.
They have not been good enough to win a single playoff game in 15 years under Marvin.

I mean it is what it is. Marvin and the Bengals have given us some pretty exciting regular seasons, and given us a lot of heartbreak in some of the biggest situations and on the largest stages. It definitely beats being at the bottom of the ladder, but it also stinks to never really get close to the top rung. Hopefully, they can figure out a way to get that elusive 1st playoff win under Marvin this season.
Reply/Quote