Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got hosed.
(01-06-2023, 10:05 AM)Destro Wrote: Bengals fans may get hosed by not having a playoff game in Cincinnati, but the Bengals are the better team. Bengals run through the playoffs on any field and go to the Super Bowl. Paycor stadium, Arrowhead stadium, neutral site, Sam’s Club parking lot, wherever…they are the AFC Champs.

Best case scenario-

1. We beat Baltimore
2. Buffalo loses to New England
3. We both win our wild card games, and LA beats 4th seed
4. We get Buffalo at home and win, LA upsets KC in the divisional round
5. We host AFC Championship to LA.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: While I understand your sentiments it’s not going to matter where — or who — Cincinnati plays in the playoffs.  I saw what I saw all season and on Monday Night the Bengals were playing at another level for nine minutes.  I have never seen that kind of precision combined with physicality before.

I’m confident of a back to back Super Bowl appearance.

Agree, but the fans deserve a home playoff game or two 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:52 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm totally shocked! A coin flip for a potential Ravens-Bengals playoff game! They absolutely don't want the Bengals to rest any starters. They want a war on Sunday.

That's only IF Baltimore defeats Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:08 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: It was because of the Bills and Marv Levy in the AFC 1988 game. 
I am not sure of all these stupid Bengal fans here calling the Bills Friends/Enemies, they are not Friends of mine.  Whatever
They are worst then Steelers and 49ers for me.  Smirk

Not even close.....
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:49 AM)casear2727 Wrote:

[Image: mens-new-era-graphite-cincinnati-bengals...hv=2&w=900]

[Image: yeah-baby-yeah.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: ... but I see no reason why if we are division champs we should have to coin flip with the freakin Ravens about where to play. All we need to do is beat Baltimore Sunday to kill that scenario.

Which is exactly why the NFL put that scenario in play... they don't want none of that "resting starters" bs.   They're trying to keep games competitive by giving them something to play for.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:37 AM)motoarch Wrote: Let's just win out and then none of this matters.

And stay classy doing while doing it. I want us classily dominate every opponent from here on out. That would be perfect.

The vote will be what it will be. No point railing about it, beyond normal venting procedures (don’t want any of us blowing a gasket). Certainly no point in picking up our toys and going home…
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:08 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: It was because of the Bills and Marv Levy in the AFC 1988 game. 
I am not sure of all these stupid Bengal fans here calling the Bills Friends/Enemies, they are not Friends of mine.  Whatever
They are worst then Steelers and 49ers for me.  Smirk

You cray cray
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:11 AM)Tomkat Wrote: That's only IF Baltimore defeats Cincinnati.

No, I was talking about this Sunday. The league doesn't want the Bengals to rest any starters this Sunday. They want a war on Sunday with the Ravens because of the potential a playoff game could be in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:13 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not even close.....

Ok, not worse then Steelers and 49ers, but the Bills are not our friends. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/01/26/afc-championship-game-bengals-vs-bills-january-8-1989-marv-levy-sam-wyche-no-huddle-ickey-woods/9217637002/
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:49 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Ok, not worse then Steelers and 49ers, but the Bills are not our friends. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/01/26/afc-championship-game-bengals-vs-bills-january-8-1989-marv-levy-sam-wyche-no-huddle-ickey-woods/9217637002/

You're talking about something that happened 34 years ago long before any of the current players on either team were born. I think the current coaches were toddlers at the time. Let it go...
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You're talking about something that happened 34 years ago long before any of the current players on either team were born. I think the current coaches were toddlers at the time. Let it go...

Nope, I was alive and kicking and as a true fan that wanted the Bengals to beat the 49er's in that Super Bowl more so than any Super Bowl[revenge for 1982], I don't know about you, but I will never let it go.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:00 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: Nope, I was alive and kicking and as a true fan that wanted the Bengals to beat the 49er's in that Super Bowl more so than any Super Bowl[revenge for 1982], I don't know about you, but I will never let it go.  Whatever

That Bills/Bengals playoff game in 1989 was bizarre, to say the least. The Bengals had developed a no-huddle offense and it was propelling them to victory after victory, executed excellently by Boomer Esiaison. Then Marv Levy, the Buffalo Bills coach, threatened to have his defense fake injuries each snap so they could substitute personnel. In fact, teams were doing that. A defensive tackle would get a cramp, and go down, and then be replaced, and then the next play that substitute would go down with a cramp, and the original player would come back in.

So what does the the league do?  On the very day of the title game, issued a ruling against the Bengals using the quick snap they had perfected all season. 

Sam Wyche's response was precious. "You know, in the world outside sports, many times sports teaches you lessons. I think in the case of overcrowding of our jails, this is probably the answer for us. The next time someone robs a restaurant at 6:30 in the evening, the police should let the crook go and tell the restaurant, "you can't stay open until 6:30 because you're vulnerable to robbery."

The Bengals were being penalized by the league because their opponent was threatening to make unsportsmanlike plays.

the next year Marv Levy stole the Bengals method.

Yeah, I've been ticked off by that ever since. It was such an unfair ruling by the league, forcing the Bengals the day of the game to change what they'd been doing all year, because of the Buffalo coach threatening to have his players fake injuries. 

The league just topped that bizarre ruling against the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I too think it's a little shoddy that the Bengals get to be the division winners but may not get the only benefit of actually being one.
However, part of me thinks this is to motivate the Bengals even more to go out and win against the Ravens Sunday.
Beat them and none of this crap about a coin flip matters.

I'm still hoping for that 2 seed, personally.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:38 PM)motoarch Wrote: This see very fair.  I honestly don't understand how some of you can see it any other way especially if KC wins this weekend.  In that case we wouldn't get a number 1 seed anyway.

But we get a shot at a neutral site rather than an away game for the championship is a situation where we would have ended up away anyways (if KC beats the raiders).

If we lost to the ravens we'd lose the division anyways and play away also but now we at least get a shot at a home he via a coin flip.

Just get over it guys this isn't as bad as you're making out to be.

There are already rules in place if games get canceled.  The NFL just needs to follow those rules instead of this BS.  If we lose to the Ravens, we would still win the North based on percentage which is the way the current rule in the NFL is.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I too think it's a little shoddy that the Bengals get to be the division winners but may not get the only benefit of actually being one.
However, part of me thinks this is to motivate the Bengals even more to go out and win against the Ravens Sunday.
Beat them and none of this crap about a coin flip matters.

I'm still hoping for that 2 seed, personally.

Things don't look promising. These, I believe, are the scenarios and all are out of our hands.

If KC loses on Saturday and the Bills win, then the Bengals (if things go according to expectations) would have to play at Arrowhead and then in Buffalo.

If KC wins and Buffalo wins, the Bengals play at Buffalo and then in Arrowhead.

If KC wins and Buffalo loses, the Bengals get the 2 seed and a home game against Buffalo, but I believe an away game at Arrowhead.

If KC loses and Buffalo loses, then the Bengals get the 2 seed and a home game against Buffalo and a potential neutral site for the championship game.

Someone can check these scenarios. I'm a little fried right now.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:21 AM)Nepa Wrote: That Bills/Bengals playoff game in 1989 was bizarre, to say the least. The Bengals had developed a no-huddle offense and it was propelling them to victory after victory, executed excellently by Boomer Esiaison. Then Marv Levy, the Buffalo Bills coach, threatened to have his defense fake injuries each snap so they could substitute personnel. In fact, teams were doing that. A defensive tackle would get a cramp, and go down, and then be replaced, and then the next play that substitute would go down with a cramp, and the original player would come back in.

So what does the the league do?  On the very day of the title game, issued a ruling against the Bengals using the quick snap they had perfected all season. 

Sam Wyche's response was precious. "You know, in the world outside sports, many times sports teaches you lessons. I think in the case of overcrowding of our jails, this is probably the answer for us. The next time someone robs a restaurant at 6:30 in the evening, the police should let the crook go and tell the restaurant, "you can't stay open until 6:30 because you're vulnerable to robbery."

The Bengals were being penalized by the league because their opponent was threatening to make unsportsmanlike plays.

the next year Marv Levy stole the Bengals method.

Yeah, I've been ticked off by that ever since. It was such an unfair ruling by the league, forcing the Bengals the day of the game to change what they'd been doing all year, because of the Buffalo coach threatening to have his players fake injuries. 

The league just topped that bizarre ruling against the Bengals.

Yeah, I remember and I don't give a damn about people about saying it let it go it was 34 years ago. I am 100% Bengal fan and I as well as Sam Wyche and Boomer and all the other Bengal fans of that era believe we would have beaten the 49ers and won our first Super Bowl and avenged our Super Bowl rival the 49ers of 1982.

P.S. Why the F' do we have Hall of Fame events if we are supposed to forget the events of the past? That's stupid. Never Forget. 

F' the Immaculate Reception.
F' the 49ers and the Super Bowl wins against us.
AND
F' the Bills and Marv Levy.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:31 AM)fullonbehavior Wrote: There are already rules in place if games get canceled.  The NFL just needs to follow those rules instead of this BS.  If we lose to the Ravens, we would still win the North based on percentage which is the way the current rule in the NFL is.

For what it's worth I posted up in the Katie Blackburn thread that my position on this has shifted in light of her response to this and giving more consideration to how KC and the bills benefit potentially in ways we cannot.
Reply/Quote
I can't understand why any Bengals fan thinks we were treated with respect and fairly.

1. Team loses 1 home game of revenue (will have to refund tickets for Buffalo game).
2. Bengals only team in NFL to get 7 home games in 2022.
3. Declared winner of AFCN, but may have a road playoff game (more lost revenue).
4. Potential loss of 2023 draft position.

I understand it was a tough call, but the NFL threw rules established out the winner and came up with a new set of rules.

I continue to pray for Hamlin, in my heart I feel he will not be happy with a team and city being screwed by the NFL by doing the right thing by him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:41 AM)Nepa Wrote: Things don't look promising. These, I believe, are the scenarios and all are out of our hands.

If KC loses on Saturday and the Bills win, then the Bengals (if things go according to expectations) would have to play at Arrowhead and then in Buffalo.

If KC wins and Buffalo wins, the Bengals play at Buffalo and then in Arrowhead.

If KC wins and Buffalo loses, the Bengals get the 2 seed and a home game against Buffalo, but I believe an away game at Arrowhead.

If KC loses and Buffalo loses, then the Bengals get the 2 seed and a home game against Buffalo and a potential neutral site for the championship game.

Someone can check these scenarios. I'm a little fried right now.

Yes it know the 2 seed is not entirely in the Bengals' control.
However, they do control whether there is a coin flip for the 3-6 seed or not.
Win and there's no coin flip. Baltimore must play at Cincy two weekends in a row.

With that said, if the Bengals lose, the Ravens could actually jump into the 5th seed if the Chargers lose too.
So it would be LAC @ CIN in that scenario.

Personally, I think the NFL wanted to make sure teams weren't resting players this final regular season game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote