Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got hosed.
Just absolutely wild that we went from legitimately contending for the #1 seed to potentially having the play three away games in the playoffs.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 08:23 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Correct.  At least we have a 50% chance of a win and benefit of the two seed.  If we lose the coin flip, we are in the same position we are in now.  That’s a win/win.

But the bills wouldn’t agree to this.

It boils down to this.  

This bills are getting a “tie” outcome from MNf game, with even some AFCCG upside more closer to a win.

The bengals are getting a “loss” outcome from MnF

Yep indeed, this is it. 

I'm not particularly bitter about it tbh, it is what it is. But while guys on here want to assume we win MNF because of a 4 point lead after 9 minutes, the NFL has assumed a loss for us here instead, like you've said. 

Reconciling these two statements was always impossible without playing the game. Whatever they came up with would assume a win/loss for somebody in one way or another. Calling it a tie would've been a 'loss' for the Ravens and a 'win' for KC.

If they Bengals resume business like they have been playing, we beat all these teams in any case. Anywhere. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:51 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bengals are #2 and Bills come back to cincy and then an AFCCG is on a neutral site vs KC.

So I’m that case… is the neutral field 50/50 between KC and bengals fans? How would tickets be distributed?

Obviously no one knows, just food for thought.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 08:30 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep indeed, this is it. 

I'm not particularly bitter about it tbh, it is what it is. But while guys on here want to assume we win MNF because of a 4 point lead after 9 minutes, the NFL has assumed a loss for us here instead, like you've said. 

Reconciling these two statements was always impossible without playing the game. Whatever they came up with would assume a win/loss for somebody in one way or another. Calling it a tie would've been a 'loss' for the Ravens and a 'win' for KC.

If they Bengals resume business like they have been playing, we beat all these teams in any case. Anywhere. 

100% agree. But as a season ticket holder, I was very much looking forward to the opportunity to two home playoffs games. It’s no guarantee, but as you said, I believe we can win against anyone anywhere. I just prefer to see it live.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 08:37 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 100% agree. But as a season ticket holder, I was very much looking forward to the opportunity to two home playoffs games. It’s no guarantee, but as you said, I believe we can win against anyone anywhere.  I just prefer to see it live.

Completely understandable, and you may still get those two home games. No guarantee the Bills win their wildcard game. We've no idea where they're truly at yet. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:38 PM)motoarch Wrote: This see very fair.  I honestly don't understand how some of you can see it any other way especially if KC wins this weekend.  In that case we wouldn't get a number 1 seed anyway.

But we get a shot at a neutral site rather than an away game for the championship is a situation where we would have ended up away anyways (if KC beats the raiders).

If we lost to the ravens we'd lose the division anyways and play away also but now we at least get a shot at a home he via a coin flip.

Just get over it guys this isn't as bad as you're making out to be.

A coin flip should NOT determine anything other than who receives at the beginning of the game. Using it to determine who has a home game is wrong. This type of decision should be determined on the field. Once again the fan base gets screwed. If the Brown family had something to do with this then screw them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 08:50 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Completely understandable, and you may still get those two home games. No guarantee the Bills win their wildcard game. We've no idea where they're truly at yet. 

It’s going to be business as usual. We have short memories as a country. It’s the sad reality of the time we live in.
Reply/Quote
The bias against the Bengals can most clearly be seen in how the league treats a potential Bengals-Ravens matchup versus a Bengals-Chiefs matchup.

If the Bengals finish 1/2 game ahead of the Ravens, as a result of the Bengals playing one less home game, then the Ravens are accorded a coin flip to determine whether to play at Paycor or at the Ravens.

If the Bengals finish 1/2 game behind the Chiefs, with the Chiefs the second seed and the Bengals the third seed (the Chiefs lose, the Bengals and Bills win), then there is no coin flip. The Bengals in that case are required to go to Arrowhead for the 2 vs 3 game.

Two different rules involving Bengals matchups. I guess the league figured the Ravens would be upset if not a coin flip and the Chiefs would be upset if a coin flip. The Bengals -- they don't give a damn about the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
If they added one line in scenario 1 to provide a neutral site in the case of bills v Bengals the rest actually works really well.

I think we're all getting upset over something that really isn't that big a deal
Reply/Quote
Not trying to be cold, but...

What if this tragic event occurred during warm-ups? What would happen then? Cancel the game? Game goes as planned?

Also, what should have been done was to put the question to the Bills - Are you able to continue? Give them 30 minutes to respond. They can think about this in the privacy of their locker room. If they don't come out and take the field after the 30 minutes are up, then forfeit. It is within the rules.

Morally, Bengals did the right thing to agree to discontinue. Bills should do the right thing and concede a forfeit is they were unable to continue.

I'm sorry for the tragic events, but this could have been handled better by the NFL.

Hamlin is a soldier - he expected the game to continue.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:14 AM)motoarch Wrote: If they added one line in scenario 1 to provide a neutral site in the case of bills v Bengals the rest actually works really well.

I think we're all getting upset over something that really isn't that big a deal

This whole postseason, if approved, really screws season ticket holders of their teams. Coin flips, neutral fields, no contests..

Im going to venture by your tone, you are not a season ticket holder and wherever you watch tv will be the same location regardless of where/when games are played.
Reply/Quote
I'm not really upset about the neutral site AFFCG, but I see no reason why if we are division champs we should have to coin flip with the freakin Ravens about where to play. All we need to do is beat Baltimore Sunday to kill that scenario.
Reply/Quote
To me it's nonsensical to have teams flip a coin for anything when they're not the teams involved in what created the issue. This is obviously not any benefit to Cincy period. They're in a must win game now and possibly being told that 2 days prior to the game when they were on a short week to begin with. Seems to me alot of people are forgetting Cincy was involved in this as well. Just 2 days ago I saw Burrow and Reader both say there's teammates that didn't even want to play this weekend and you drop this on them with 48 hours to go. Why bother giving them the division til the seeding is decided? Because all that will potentially mean is tougher opponents next year while losing your home game after you already gave up 1 home game and played 2 more road games. There was idiots out there blaming this on Tee and saying Hendrickson Hurst and the Bengals were playing dirty. Yea its bs but its still out there and obviously was heard by the locker room as Boyd at the very least addressed it which doesnt help the mindset in the slightest. Tee knew and was friends with the guy along with other Bengal players, Boyd and Adomitis that I know of. Even not knowing him though that's a huge thing to have to mentally deal with and be told on an already short week 48 hours prior to a game that this is what your situation is, and oh by the way, the biggest thing you had left to play for is now off the table.

Is the biggest thing KC Buf and Bal had to play for off the table? No, Simple as that. It's bs. If you're gonna flip a coin do it for the game that was canceled. Makes everything simple, it's the easiest way to move forward where everyone knows where they stand and what's at stake. My only concession would be why not make it best of 3 for Buff and not Cin, where Buff has to win 2 straight flips and Bengals just 1. I'll give my reasoning. 1 game was in Cincy and the place was electric. 2. The time of the incident Cincy is ahead 7-3 and possess the ball just outside of scoring range. 3. It wasn't their player that was the cause of this terrible situation.
The last one is just observational. Wouldn't be included in reasoning officially but probably should have some weight in the conversation. 4. It was pretty apparent the Bills were going to have a very tough time covering the Bengals or stopping their offense in general. Became apparent on the very 1st play when their best cb was beat deep even though he gave an 8 yard cushion to Chase and had to grab him to prevent a td. What followed was Cincy targets getting open pretty easily, Burrow looked to be sharp hitting Boyd in the face with the TD, the oline getting movement and Mixon and the run game working as well. Hurst had a big play Tee had 2 catches one for pretty big yardage Chase drew a long p.i. Boyd had the beautiful TD and Mixon had already ripped off runs of 7 and 9. On the other side Buff offense looked good as well but we had seen Allen off on 2 throws already. 1 to Beasley that wasn't that far off but enough that the usually sure handed Beasley couldn't grab it and the other he was way off, the ball coming up way short and off target. Advantage Bengals. Could things have changed in the game? Sure, Buffalo had already lost another dB in the game before the Hamlin situation occurred so that wouldn't have helped stopping the Bengals offense too much. Given that it wasn't a Bengals player, it was their home game, they were ahead looking to extend that lead and looked very good while doing it. I would say it would be fair to have Buffalo need to win 2 coin flips and Bengals just 1. With all the analytics these days I'm sure the Bengals win % at the time of the game being stopped was higher than the Bill's so it's pretty obvious to me that any decision made on the method used to get the outcome should favor the team that had the higher chance of winning, right? It's absolutely ridiculous that every team this resolution has a direct impact on still has a chance at reaching the best outcome they had for the regular season/seeding going into the Bengals Bill's game besides the Bengals. I hope Katie or whoever puts up a fight against this because it's far from fair and mentions the fact they're the only team losing the ability to achieve their best finish going into the game. I can't see other teams seeing that as OK if it's brought to light. If this had been a game called because a Bills player caught covid there would have been a much different result. Not to be insensitive to the situation but it was a Bill's player that was the reason the game couldn't continue, it is what it is and that matters so I really hope they bring up the right issues during these conference calls meetings or whatever they have going on to decide this and do some politicking to get others on board about the bs it is.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:08 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It’s going to be business as usual.  We have short memories as a country.  It’s the sad reality of the time we live in.

I will personally be very surprised if both teams come out firing like they had been. But we'll see I guess.
Reply/Quote
Let's just win out and then none of this matters.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not really upset about the neutral site AFFCG, but I see no reason why if we are division champs we should have to coin flip with the freakin Ravens about where to play. All we need to do is beat Baltimore Sunday to kill that scenario.

Coin flip with the Ravens if we are 1/2 game ahead. But no coin flip with the Chiefs if they are 1/2 game ahead as a 2-seed while the Bengals are a 3-seed. That 2x3 games would be a Arrowhead.

Two different sets of rules, both favoring the opponent. And this despite the opponents in both cases had the extra home game.
Reply/Quote
It does not surprise me that the NFL is doing everything it can to make sure it's favorite teams do not have to come to the Jungle. Over the last few decades, I suspect there would not be as much emphasis, but this season has been different, and while I was not at MNF I saw the videos and OMG, what other team would want to come into that atmosphere and try to play. Anyone think they want darling Patrick to come into that?
Reply/Quote
Bengals fans may get hosed by not having a playoff game in Cincinnati, but the Bengals are the better team. Bengals run through the playoffs on any field and go to the Super Bowl. Paycor stadium, Arrowhead stadium, neutral site, Sam’s Club parking lot, wherever…they are the AFC Champs.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:05 AM)Destro Wrote: Bengals fans may get hosed by not having a playoff game in Cincinnati, but the Bengals are the better team. Bengals run through the playoffs on any field and go to the Super Bowl. Paycor stadium, Arrowhead stadium, neutral site, Sam’s Club parking lot, wherever…they are the AFC Champs.

That's probably the best way to look at it. The league is going to screw the Bengals any chance they get. And while we all would like playoff games at PBS, there will be s certain satisfaction in seeing them go into Buffalo and KC and beating them in front of their fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:53 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Paul Brown’s legacy is in cincy. They never liked Paul Brown

They wanted to ban the use of the no huddle offense when the bengals made the super bowl in 1988

It was because of the Bills and Marv Levy in the AFC 1988 game. 
I am not sure of all these stupid Bengal fans here calling the Bills Friends/Enemies, they are not Friends of mine.  Whatever
They are worst then Steelers and 49ers for me.  Smirk
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote