Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have no depth on offense
Need to resign Spain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm ok with replacing Hobson. I'll miss his fluff pieces though.

I was so confused when he wrote: "I would think we'll add a WRITER and an OL before the day is done." I was wondering what football terminology I was not up to date with in terms of WRITER or what the misspelling could be. I'm glad you caught the meaning, so I wasn't wracking my brain all day.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:19 AM)Nepa Wrote: I was so confused when he wrote: "I would think we'll add a WRITER and an OL before the day is done." I was wondering what football terminology I was not up to date with in terms of WRITER or what the misspelling could be. I'm glad you caught the meaning, so I wasn't wracking my brain all day.

Hey NEPA, its CEQA from Cali here...
is there something I missed about Hobson? Is he on way out or just wishful thinking? 
Reply/Quote
We are one or two Oline injuries away from being a disaster. Love what we did in FA but would have liked for us to make a move for a C/T
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:09 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Need to resign Spain.

Would love to see Reiff back too if he’s healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:55 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm hoping for a LB before the day is done. I guess your the guy to ask. What LB are you thinking?

I wanted the kid from Wyoming. Worked out pretty well with Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 10:07 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I disagree with your assessment of the Bengals depth.

D'ante Smith, Isiaih Prince, Hakeem Adenji & Trey Hill all got a full year of experience on a playoff team. That is invaluable and gives us valuable depth on the line going into their second year with the Bengals. I thought Trayveon Williams and Samaje Perine both played well last year.
We are a little thin at Tight End but the season has not started yet.

On defense I think we have a lot of depth.

We will fill in gaps today in Rounds 4-7.

I see this as valid. I have zero doubts that Adenji, Prince and Carman will improve this season.  Pretty much the whole line was hot garbage for the last half of the season so I would think it was harder for everyone when the guys next to them stunk it up.
It is a nice luxury to have back up OL not only with regular season experience but post season experience in your system!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:24 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Hey NEPA, its CEQA from Cali here...
is there something I missed about Hobson? Is he on way out or just wishful thinking? 

Hobson ain't going anywhere. He's not the worst writer I've ever read, but it would be better if they could find someone from the city itself instead of grabbing some old beat reporter from a whole different region.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:37 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Outside of our 11 starters on offense we are seriously devoid of talent. Allen bottom 5 backup QB. Perine not very good.
Outside of our top 3 receivers a bunch of hot garbage. Our Oline is bottom 5 if 2 were to get injured. This is very troubling to say the least.

You are right but roster management in today’s NFL is brutal. Nobody has depth everywhere. Drafting Dax and Cam had a lot to do with depth for this year and managing the uncertainty of 2023. Carter was definitely about this year. The Bengals are just getting to a championship level roster. This roster was pathetic when Taylor arrived. Taylor and this staff overwhelm Marvin Lewis group. That’s not to say the Lewis staff wasn’t once good.
Reply/Quote
Odds we can sign Tretter?
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:24 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Hey NEPA, its CEQA from Cali here...

Someone made a joke about needing to improve the OL and the writing, so drafting in those two areas.
Reply/Quote
Today will be the offenses turn at bat

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:03 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Odds we can sign Tretter?

I'm not sure. If they are looking at this like I am and that we have a very real 2 year window to win a superbowl before we start to lose players. Then they would make a move like this. I do think they will sign a couple more players after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:18 PM)Nepa Wrote: Someone made a joke about needing to improve the OL and the writing, so drafting in those two areas.

No I was saying I thought we would draft OL and WR on day 3. But my phone auto filled to Writer.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:24 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: No I was saying I thought we would draft OL and WR on day 3. But my phone auto filled to Writer.

wouldn't be surprised if it was OL- WR - TE- RB and a UDFA punter invited to try out coming today. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I still don't think this team is done in FA. I think after the draft they will sign some veteran depth pieces. That's usually how it goes. I wouldn't worry too much about it until training camp hits.
Don’t agree on being fine with current OL depth. We’re one injury away from having a very exploitable line. I do agree that after the draft there will be a wave of cuts, and again after preseason. Can always add a guy or two there for depth. I’d like Cade Mays, athletic, long arms and T/G flexibility. He is a project but that’s all late rounds. Kellen Diesch, Austin Deculus, and Matt Waletzko are good too. Alec Lindstrom if we go C.

Since Marcus Jones is gone I want Britain Covey for returner (Simmons hinted this is a priority) and he can also be sprinkled into the offense.

Still some good defensive depth too. I know we already drafted 2 DBs but I would not mind Coby Bryant in the 4th if he’s still there.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 09:37 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Outside of our 11 starters on offense we are seriously devoid of talent. Allen bottom 5 backup QB. Perine not very good.
Outside of our top 3 receivers a bunch of  hot garbage. Our Oline is bottom 5 if 2 were to get injured. This is very troubling to say the least.

How about waiting for the draft to be over before you play the "panic" card?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:37 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Don’t agree on being fine with current OL depth. We’re one injury away from having a very exploitable line. I do agree that after the draft there will be a wave of cuts, and again after preseason. Can always add a guy or two there for depth. I’d like Cade Mays, athletic, long arms and T/G flexibility. He is a project but that’s all late rounds. Kellen Diesch, Austin Deculus, and Matt Waletzko are good too. Alec Lindstrom if we go C.

Since Marcus Jones is gone I want Britain Covey for returner (Simmons hinted this is a priority) and he can also be sprinkled into the offense.

Still some good defensive depth too. I know we already drafted 2 DBs but I would not mind Coby Bryant in the 4th if he’s still there.

There are guys on the bench that can fill in. Bench players aren't starting quality or else they'd be starting somewhere. It kind of is what it is. Every team is going to drop off if their guys get injured and they have to rely on bench pieces. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The OP is correct.

I think Perine & Evans are serviceable at RB. Other than that, nada. WRs add almost nothing, other than Taylor, who was PS last year. Sample is terrible. Allen is poor. And the OL contingent is totally unproven. Plus, Carman looks more like a bust than a player.

I hope we get a WR (Austin, Melton) or TE (Likely, Kolar, Ferguson) or both today. Some line help (Tom, Salyer). I also think Spain/Reiff could be coming back.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:03 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Odds we can sign Tretter?

Zero.  Tretter will be looking to start, and they're likely done with high priced OL in FA.  They have several young OL from last year, plus the draft this year.

I know people like to bag on all of our rookies from last year, but they've got an entire year under their belts, have gotten healthy, more time to learn what Pollack hsa to teach and most importantly, we have brought in three solid veteran's who have played at a high level in the NFL, who can show the young guys how it's supposed to be done.  Pollack can preach technique and how to DO  IT all he likes, but having savvy veterans to make the OL room better cannot be overlooked.  Think how much our OL missed Whit when he left.  It wasn't just what he brought to LT position, but what he brought to the whole line in terms of study, discipline, making OL calls with the QB to cover blitzs, etc.  We haven't had that presence in years.  I'm expecting at least one of the new guys to be the leader of the line (not sure which).  This again will make the whole OL room better.  They will work as a team, which makes switching one out less painful and less impactful.  As an aside, I think the same veteran presence will lead Jonah to his best year as a pro.  That veteran influence will bring out his best.
Reply/Quote