Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
We may not even win our division next season. So Fix It
(04-19-2022, 11:16 AM)Wyche Wrote: Winning close games against a team the caliber of KC is the sign of a good team.

Where did I say the Bengals weren't a good team?
I'm just asking that people pump the brakes on anointing them world-beaters.
Did I miss something?
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 12:47 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where did I say the Bengals weren't a good team?
Did I miss something?

I think you missed that having high expectations is not the same as anointing them as world beaters. Everyone is very well aware that their is other good AFC teams out there as well and we are going to have to show we belong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 01:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think you missed that having high expectations is not the same as anointing them as world beaters. Everyone is very well aware that their is other good AFC teams out there as well and we are going to have to show we belong.

Yea, maybe I did misinterpret, a bit.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:58 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Yep, and both of those wins were "by-the-skin-of-their-teeth," as well.
In fact, they were down by a large margin in both of those games, and really should have lost.

Therefore, your use of those games as evidence to support your assertion is shaky, at best.

Look, I love the Bengals as much as anyone, but until they actually start beating down good teams, let's not anoint them as world-beaters, ok?
Is that too much to ask?

Well they did beat down the Steelers and Ravens twice each. But you are right. They need to be in more control against teams that they are the clear favorites.
Reply/Quote
I'll echo what many have said, which is the Ravens are the only real threat. The Steelers aren't scaring anyone with "don't call me Mitch" LimpBizkit. The Browns might not even have Watson for awhile, and again, what did Watson do for Houston?

The Ravens will never get to a Super Bowl with Lamar, but they can win tons of reg season games if healthy.

All that said, we've earned the right to be the consensus pick to win the division. Best QB, best roster (which only got better).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 04:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  what did Watson do for Houston?

Back-to-back division titles and a playoff win over the Bills in '19.
Reply/Quote
Watson is a capable player. He will find, however, that winning the AFC North is VERY different from winning the AFC South.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 05:06 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: winning the AFC North is VERY different from winning the AFC South.

Not really

When Watson won the AFC South in 2018 that division won 35 games (exactly the same as the '21 AFC North).  The third place Titans won 9 games but missed the playoffs
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 05:06 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Watson is a capable player. He will find, however, that winning the AFC North is VERY different from winning the AFC South.

Watson's record vs AFCN is 3-5, with 2 of those wins over Cleveland, Cin 1-1, Balt 0-2, pitt 0-1.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 12:47 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where did I say the Bengals weren't a good team?
Did I miss something?

I never said you hinted they weren't a good team. I was just suggesting that you were maybe selling them a tad short for barely beating KC. The Chiefs haven't lost a lot the last few seasons. I don't think the upper tier of the AFC is prone to getting blown out by anyone very often. If the Bengals are consistently blowing out teams of that caliber, you're talking Darth Hoodie/Tom Terrific dynasty type stuff. I don't think anyone that has a different outlook on those wins is suggesting anything remotely close to them being that good. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:15 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Trubiski was 29-21 with the Bears? Shit they might win the division after all

So Trubisky will have played in Chicago, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh.

How do you think he feels about beer-drinking white guys?
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The sperm whale?   Hilarious

I think the Bengals have beautifully addressed their biggest weakness and now have CB, 3T, and WR depth they need to address in the draft.  They are in a great position.  There is likely to be some more fall-out after the draft that some players might sign for less in fear of not having a chair when the music stops playing.

I agree, though, that the division will be a blood bath, but I would rather be in the AFC North than the AFC West.  I haven't felt that way in a LONG time.  

Pisses me off how Rogers always gets such a cake walk of a division because the Lions, Vikes, and Bears suck so badly.  Ditto Brady in the AFC East seemingly for a decade-plus.   Hopefully the Vikes have addressed their defense and can make a threat.  

So true about we would rather be in the AFC North than the AFC West right now. Same with Rodgers and Brady having cake
Divisions for so many years. Surprised Rodgers has only made the Superbowl once honestly when thinking about this. You have
such a better shot at a Superbowl having the Division always locked up year after year like Brady did and he finished most of 
the time in getting the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are a team on the rise. I dont care what other divisional teams are doing to improve from last season. We need to beef up where we had struggles and go into this up coming season as front runners of the AFC NORTH.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 12:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true about we would rather be in the AFC North than the AFC West right now. Same with Rodgers and Brady having cake
Divisions for so many years. Surprised Rodgers has only made the Superbowl once honestly when thinking about this. You have
such a better shot at a Superbowl having the Division always locked up year after year like Brady did and he finished most of 

Rodgers is a great regular season QB, but the Packers generally underperform in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Rodgers is a great regular season QB, but the Packers generally underperform in the playoffs.

True. Happened once again last season. Tried and tested, but it wasn't the Defense's fault, they held San Fran to moderate points in 
their loss in the Playoffs. That was on Rodgers and the Offense and the fact they couldn't figure out how to score on San Fran.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 09:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. Happened once again last season. Tried and tested, but it wasn't the Defense's fault, they held San Fran to moderate points in 
their loss in the Playoffs. That was on Rodgers and the Offense and the fact they couldn't figure out how to score on San Fran.

That was an ugly game to watch.  Second play of the 4th quarter Rodgers completed a short pass on third down to pick up the first.  He was sacked on his next two 3rd down attempts and over the final 14 minutes of the game he was 2-5 for 6 yards.  On the Packers 2 drives that began in the fourth quarter they ran 6 plays and lost 5 yards.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 05:06 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Watson is a capable player. He will find, however, that winning the AFC North is VERY different from winning the AFC South.

(04-19-2022, 05:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not really

When Watson won the AFC South in 2018 that division won 35 games (exactly the same as the '21 AFC North).  The third place Titans won 9 games but missed the playoffs

AFC South's accolades from 4 years ago aside; I don't think it'll be level of competition as much as the elements. Kid grew up in Georgia, played college ball in SC, and played in the NFL for a team that plays a minimum of 9 games a year indoors, 1 game in FLA, and 1 game in Tennessee. That's going to be a little different to playing the vast majority of your games outdoors in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cincy. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If Watson is guilty of sexual transgressions he will suffer. Personally and professionally.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 12:37 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If Watson is guilty of sexual transgressions he will suffer. Personally and professionally.

He has already suffered and we don't even know if he has done anything wrong.  He is in the prime of his career and has already missed a full season.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2022, 12:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true about we would rather be in the AFC North than the AFC West right now. Same with Rodgers and Brady having cake

It is an interesting point, Nate.  You look at the Bengals last year, and by the time they got to the big game, they were definitely "Battle Tested", after big regular season games against KC, pitt, Baltimore, and Cleveland.  OT game against Green Bay.  Road win at Vegas.  All tough.  

You might think the Packers just weren't battle tested in the past when they got to the playoffs.  Then, on the other hand, you have Brady and the AFC LEAST each year, but they still ran the table so many years in the postseason.  I think coaching is the main difference.  Bellichek has his "different plan for each opponent" and a really smart team that can adapt.  Mike McCarthy has shown himself to be a very large-headed boob.  
Reply/Quote