Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
We may not even win our division next season. So Fix It
(04-18-2022, 08:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is going to be fun being a Bengal fan this year if we stay somewhat healthy I have no doubt.

Both the passing game and running game should be so much better than last year. 

This in turn will help the Defense and keep them fresh.

The coaching as you say should also grow.

In the big picture we haven't been all that great in the red zone. I'm anxious to see how much that changes this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 08:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In the big picture we haven't been all that great in the red zone. I'm anxious to see how much that changes this season.

No we haven’t. May be our worst area. Hopefully being able to run the ball will help.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No we haven’t. May be our worst area. Hopefully being able to run the ball will help.

Yep when you have at least a decent run threat it changes everything in the red zone. And our run game despite somewhat overall success has been very inconsistent. Largely due to Oline woes and how good a D line we're facing.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 06:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I posted it originally in the Jackson Carman thread Page 7, but here it is again.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-measuring-positional-draft-success-every-nfl-team

You need a PFF subscription to view the whole thing, but the OL is on there. and we stink.

This one is geared towards more of what you are looking for.
Success rate of position by round.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

That's honestly worse than I thought, YEESH. Thanks for providing, love this stuff.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 02:38 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would be upset or doubting this team right now. On paper, they should be one of the top teams in the AFC again next year and pushing for a title.

They lost CJ which hurts from a moral standpoint but the talent was replaced with Hurst. They lost Larry O and I think that spot gets addressed in the draft. 

That's it. That's the starters that are gone. Then they move on from dead weight at RT and get a legit badass tackle and then beef up center and guard. This line is going to do amazing things for the offense. The only thing that could stop this team next season would be health.

Don't you just hate that we can't rule that damn team from PA as dead and gone? Mitch freakin' Trubisky is going to be their QB and people still are unwilling to predict a losing season for them. Guy is 29-21 in his career with 64 TDs to 38 INTs yet the fear is he goes in there and ends up a winner.

It's sickening. They just need to live in QB hell and last place for like a decade (I wish for longer but the NFL won't allow it) so all those yinzers start to fade away and cry into their terrible trash rags.

Trubiski was 29-21 with the Bears? Shit they might win the division after all
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:15 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Trubiski was 29-21 with the Bears? Shit they might win the division after all

Similar team too. Shotty o-line with a great pass rush on defense

This time he’ll have a better RB and receivers
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:15 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Trubiski was 29-21 with the Bears? Shit they might win the division after all

He did have Rodgers to deal with when he was in Chicago, but in the AFCN he’ll have Burrow, Watson, and Lamar. That’s an absolute gauntlet of elite QB’s. Now - the Steelers defense is obviously really good, but I just don’t see them winning the division if the other 3 stay healthy.

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 08:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In the big picture we haven't been all that great in the red zone. I'm anxious to see how much that changes this season.

Very true. This is the area I expect us to really improve, similar to how Burrow improved so much in his long ball accuracy.

When you see jumps in these areas for players from year to year it shows you have young, smart players.

Same with Hubbard and his jump in run stopping the year before and pass rushing this last year and in the Playoffs.

(04-18-2022, 09:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No we haven’t. May be our worst area. Hopefully being able to run the ball will help.

Oh, a good run game will undoubtedly help.

(04-18-2022, 09:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep when you have at least a decent run threat it changes everything in the red zone. And our run game despite somewhat overall success has been very inconsistent. Largely due to Oline woes and how good a D line we're facing.

Bad O-line is the culprit. With the additions of Cappa, Karras and La'el Collins we should be so much better now.
Reply/Quote
the Bengals giving Burrow a rushing attack is going to change everything and the offense is going to be a nightmare match up for any AFCN team.

The AFC in general will be very tough though, but so will the Bengals yet it will be a grueling task to get back to the SB.

Yet still like our horse a lot in this race.

Know some have said they would not draft a RB this year but I disagree and think a solid RB could make all the difference and worth a 3rd or 4th round selection.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 10:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He did have Rodgers to deal with when he was in Chicago, but in the AFCN he’ll have Burrow, Watson, and Lamar. That’s an absolute gauntlet of elite QB’s. Now - the Steelers defense is obviously really good, but I just don’t see them winning the division if the other 3 stay healthy.

Also Kirk Cousins and Super Bowl winning QB Matthew Stafford (except last year).
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 11:56 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Also Kirk Cousins and Super Bowl winning QB Matthew Stafford (except last year).

Stafford is good but it was the Lions, so yeah. Cousins? Also decent, but nothing like the Murderers’ row he’ll face in the AFC North. Trubisky is much closer to those guys than he is Burrow, Watson, Lamar.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2022, 03:09 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

With the Ravens getting back to full strength and the draft capital that they currently have I wonder what this matchup will look like. This is going to be one hell of a fight in the AFCN next season. The Steelers are what we know and will reload and the Browns already had a championship infrastructure outside of the sperm whale addition. I know we went to the Superbowl last season but how is this division won with our current roster and whats needed truly. I think we still have some questions to be answered with positional DEPTH really on all levels on both sides. Imo. Thoughts

The sperm whale?   Hilarious

I think the Bengals have beautifully addressed their biggest weakness and now have CB, 3T, and WR depth they need to address in the draft.  They are in a great position.  There is likely to be some more fall-out after the draft that some players might sign for less in fear of not having a chair when the music stops playing.

I agree, though, that the division will be a blood bath, but I would rather be in the AFC North than the AFC West.  I haven't felt that way in a LONG time.  

Pisses me off how Rogers always gets such a cake walk of a division because the Lions, Vikes, and Bears suck so badly.  Ditto Brady in the AFC East seemingly for a decade-plus.   Hopefully the Vikes have addressed their defense and can make a threat.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 12:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whatever was causing that they seemed to iron out in the 2nd halff

Yep, he was damn near flawless down the stretch. Maybe he was just taking a few too many risks. Whatever it was, he fixed it in a big way. Even in the Chicago game, he ironed it out and got us within striking distance.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 01:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. We beat KC twice. 

Yep, and both of those wins were "by-the-skin-of-their-teeth," as well.
In fact, they were down by a large margin in both of those games, and really should have lost.

Therefore, your use of those games as evidence to support your assertion is shaky, at best.

Look, I love the Bengals as much as anyone, but until they actually start beating down good teams, let's not anoint them as world-beaters, ok?
Is that too much to ask?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 03:51 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: We need to get over this obsession of what is going to happen or might happen with Watson and hoping he is suspended.  The Bengals, if they are top 10 team, which I think they are, will compete against the best in the league.  I think it is time for us as fans to stop being afraid of or worrying about other teams and their QBs.  I get it, in years past this was always a concern.  

Perhaps some recall the Bengals have one of the best QBs in the league right now who lead the league in completion percent last year 70.4%, was 6th in passing yards, 8th in TD passes, 3rd in TD%, 1st in yards per attempt, and his only down side being 14 INTs which was only one more than Mahomes and one less than Allen and Hebert.

Source:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing.htm

So I say bring it on and let the Bengals prove they belong with the top teams in the league.  I think the team has earned it for us as fans to not worry about other teams no matter how daunting the schedule may be.

Yes sir, and most of those picks were early in the year. 

Reply/Quote
I think it's good and healthy for the culture of this fanbase to expect to kick the shit out of their AFC North rivals. I don't particularly care if it's "realistic". After decades of chicken little syndrome and waiting for the other shoe to drop, a little overconfidence is justified and normal. Demand greatness, and expect greatness.

The division belongs to Cincinnati until further notice.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:58 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Yep, and both of those wins were "by-the-skin-of-their-teeth," as well.
In fact, they were down by a large margin in both of those games, and really should have lost.

Therefore, your use of those games as evidence to support your assertion is shaky, at best.

Look, I love the Bengals as much as anyone, but until they actually start beating down good teams, let's not anoint them as world-beaters, ok?
Is that too much to ask?

They did beat down a healthy Baltimore in their house. They curb stomped the Stoolers at PBS. Winning close games against a team the caliber of KC is the sign of a good team. Especially when you're able to shake off early miscues and deficits to come back and win. They were pretty young across the board and growing/learning throughout the year. If the trajectory stays the same, there's no reason to believe the Bengals won't be a tough out for any team in the league. They addressed the one glaring weakness.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 11:16 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: They did beat down a healthy Baltimore in their house. They curb stomped the Stoolers at PBS. Winning close games against a team the caliber of KC is the sign of a good team. Especially when you're able to shake off early miscues and deficits to come back and win. They were pretty young across the board and growing/learning throughout the year. If the trajectory stays the same, there's no reason to believe the Bengals won't be a tough out for any team in the league. They addressed the one glaring weakness.

People that think other good teams are blowing everyone out every week clearly don’t watch much football outside of the Bengals. I guess Tomkat missed the Rams needing a huge comeback (and last minute FG) against the Bucs, and the big defensive play they needed to seal the deal against the 9ers at end of that game.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 11:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm expecting 12-5 or 13-4. 11 wins is my floor.

If we win less than 11, I'll be very didappointed.

I'm expecting 15-2 ?... I can't help it...
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 11:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People that think other good teams are blowing everyone out every week clearly don’t watch much football outside of the Bengals. I guess Tomkat missed the Rams needing a huge comeback (and last minute FG) against the Bucs, and the big defensive play they needed to seal the deal against the 9ers at end of that game.

Not to mention a big play on defense to deny us in the Super Bowl. One more second, and Chase is gone.

Reply/Quote