Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
We may not even win our division next season. So Fix It
(04-26-2022, 02:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Smart poster: What has Watson ever done?
Fred: A pair of division titles and a playoff win.
Smart poster: 28-25 record, 1-2 in the playoffs.
Fred: It's a team game.

Whatever

So you agree with me that he hasn't really accomplished much.

No I don't agree with you at all.  I don't even understand how you came up with this idea.

Poster who thinks he is smart: What has Watson ever done?
Fred: Two division titles and a playoff win in just 3 years as a starter. Plus 2nd highest career passer rating in NFL history.  Plus lead league in passing yards in 2020.  Plus posted 15th highest single season passer rating in history despite getting sacked more times per game than Burrow did in 2021.
Poster who thinks he is smart: Watson has a higher winning percentage than Burrow, but that means he has not done anything.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Smart poster: What has Watson ever done?
Fred: A pair of division titles and a playoff win.
Smart poster: 28-25 record, 1-2 in the playoffs.
Fred: It's a team game.

Whatever

So you agree with me that he hasn't really accomplished much.

Look...is it possible you are overestimating the Browns' roster a smidge? Is it really better than what Watson had with the Texans?

In Houston, Watson had a far better WR corp (Hopkins, Fuller, Stills) than he will have in Cleveland. The RBs in Houston were solid. Especially when Hyde and Duke Johnson combined for nearly 2000 yards from scrimmage in 2019. Defense was solid, ranking 8th and 19th in points allowed in their 2 playoff years.

There are no Jaguars in the AFCN. He will face the Steelers, Ravens and defending AFC Champs twice each.

All of this isn't even accounting for his ridiculous contract and the ramifications that will stem from it. I think all these Broncos and Browns fans that are predicting Super Bowls are in for a surprise. The AFC is loaded. There are several better QBs than those 2 in the AFC, and better rosters as well. I like pretty much every aspect of the Bengals better than the Browns.

I think they had a good roster LAST year.

This year, subtract - Landry, Tretter, OBJ, Clowney, Janovich, Hooper, and McKinley.

That's A LOT of talent to lose.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No I don't agree with you at all.  I don't even understand how you came up with this idea.

Poster who thinks he is smart: What has Watson ever done?
Fred: Two division titles and a playoff win in just 3 years as a starter. Plus 2nd highest career passer rating in NFL history.  Plus lead league in passing yards in 2020.  Plus posted 15th highest single season passer rating in history despite getting sacked more times per game than Burrow did in 2021.
Poster who thinks he is smart: Watson has a higher winning percentage than Burrow, but that means he has not done anything.

Hilarious

Fred: Acts like slightly better reg season record somehow trumps Super Bowl run.

No wonder you defended Marvin Lewis all those years. Your definition of success is all crossed up.

(04-26-2022, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think they had a good roster LAST year.

This year, subtract - Landry, Tretter, OBJ, Clowney, Janovich, Hooper, and McKinley.

Good point. I don't think some (Fred) have paid attention to the comings and goings in Cleveland.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think they had a good roster LAST year.

Adding DeShaun cancels all that... off season SB winners 3x now!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He had the one good playoff game, that's about it. They won the division that no other team had double digit wins.

So....by some logic presented here, a division championship with 10 wins is a tie. One playoff win in 3 years vs a trip to the Bowl in year two= advantage Burrow.

/thread

Edit: until I looked up stats, records, game splits, etc, I thought Watson was better than he really is. He's good at scrambling, and highlight programs love that. He's pretty good, I'm not saying he isn't, but a world beater he is not.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fred: Acts like slightly better reg season record somehow trumps Super Bowl run.

So we have another member who is unable to read any of the stats Watson has put up.

Gee, I wonder why they would keep ignoring all of the individual stats, and all the regular season records, and ionstead judge a QB by one Super Bowl appearance which he lost.  

So I guess you all agree that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Joe Burrow, right?  'Cause the ONLY way to judge a QB is if he won a Super Bowl.  Nothing else could possibly matter.

Got to sign Colin Keapernick.  He won more postseason games than Burrow.  Maybe he can teach Joe a few things.
Reply/Quote
Watson is easily a top 6-7 QB in the NFL. Throws for a lot of yards. Decent amount of TD's. Minimal interceptions. Can run. Puts up good fantasy football numbers. Plus, the Browns have 2 really good RB's.

He's tough to defend. On the con side, he takes a lot of sacks. And well...legal issues.

I just think the Cleveland culture is messed up much like ours was here for years and year. And it's hard to overcome that.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watson is easily a top 6-7 QB in the NFL. Throws for a lot of yards. Decent amount of TD's. Minimal interceptions. Can run. Puts up good fantasy football numbers. Plus, the Browns have 2 really good RB's.

He's tough to defend. On the con side, he takes a lot of sacks. And well...legal issues.

I just think the Cleveland culture is messed up much like ours was here for years and year. And it's hard to overcome that.

Yeah. I've seen some arguments on here and Reddit that kind of dismiss Watson. He's a fantastic QB, or was the last time he played. He is head and shoulders above Baker. The Browns are a better team with him, they will be tough. This is already a tough team that has really whipped Cincinnati in recent history. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watson is easily a top 6-7 QB in the NFL. Throws for a lot of yards. Decent amount of TD's. Minimal interceptions. Can run. Puts up good fantasy football numbers. Plus, the Browns have 2 really good RB's.

I'll say the same thing I said when the Bucs got an over the hill Tom Brady and the Rams traded the farm for Stafford...when you whiff on a 1st overall pick QB you need to do something drastic to reboot.  We'll see how it goes.  I could see it blowing up on the Browns, but I also have to admit that we've had the luxury of facing bad to mediocre Browns QBs for 20+ years.

My bottom line is that it shouldn't matter who the Browns/Ravens/Steelers have at QB because we have Burrow, though.  We're set up like the Packers were in the NFC North during both the Favre and the Rogders eras.  The Bears/Lions/Vikings made a lot of moves but it didn't much matter because QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 10:44 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah. I've seen some arguments on here and Reddit that kind of dismiss Watson. He's a fantastic QB, or was the last time he played. He is head and shoulders above Baker. The Browns are a better team with him, they will be tough. This is already a tough team that has really whipped Cincinnati in recent history. 

They upgraded at QB. But downgraded in other areas. We shall see how that works out.

Sometimes 1+1=4 with synergy. You see that with Burrow.

Sometimes 1+1=1.

It really depends a lot on how much of a distraction the off-the-field issues are for the Browns and if they respect him as a leader. Mayfield was popular there. Now, players might like Watson too. Never know.

Watson seemed like a great fantasy football QB that could get regular season wins, but wasn't a playoff guy that could go on long runs.

My guess is Cleveland can get 10-11 wins this year. That said, who cares? To win championships you have to beat good teams. You can't expect every team to just become worse.
Reply/Quote