Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
We may not even win our division next season. So Fix It
(04-22-2022, 07:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, I don't want to put any kind of Brady/Belichek pressure on them (not saying you are), but what they did with a flawed roster last year is nothing short of amazing.  Thankfully, the rest of the world still doesn't seem to believe in them, but I think Burrow wouldn't flinch if everyone expected them to win the Super Bowl either.

When you bring up the 49ers, I think how this year they have a different (very inexperienced) QB, and now Deebo Samual is asking out...reportedly not due to money, but longevity (doesn't like being a RB, I guess...which is true....much shorter career) but that also adds up to money, so we will see.  

Aaron Donald of the Rams is reportedly looking for more money, too.  

I compare this to Cincy and how the Bengals got three veteran FAs on the offensive line...all from very competitive programs, and the outward appearance that this is a destination people now want to be.  It could be the well-documented "Burrow Effect", but if the players also didn't like the coaching staff, they probably wouldn't have any interest.  At least to date, we haven't had anyone threaten to sit out, or go public with the "I'm not reporting until I get a new contract".  There is just such a great culture here right now.  Guys that are leaders and that are "all about ball".  I really credit ZT for a lot of that.  

Great post. No doubt we are the team on the rise that everybody else has taken notice of. It won't go to our head either, we 
are still doubted by pretty much the entire media except a few and most fans of other teams. We aren't doubted by NFL teams
though anymore and Zac and company have created a standard on how to build a shitty team into a contender.

Took a bit with our trenches in complete disarray, but it has came around and we capped it off this Free Agency.

It is a beautiful thing to behold.

(04-22-2022, 07:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Weighing in on the Watson-led Browns discussion (thanks, I invited myself...):  While I think on paper the team looks lethal with Watson, Chubb, Cooper, Ward, and Garrett, I can't help but think that a guy coming in that hasn't taken a single snap with the team, who is likely to be suspended for at LEAST five games, yet had his contract structured so his game check salary year 1 is next to nothing and won't really lose much money from his ridiculous guaranteed contract, is bound to create some issues.

People can't help it.  It is human nature to compare your value and your salary to others.  Watson will be sitting on the bench (or more likely a couch at home) drawing multiple times more money than anyone else on the Browns.  Yes, QBs get paid more.  But I still can't help thinking the extenuating circumstances surrounding Watson will be a distraction and a potential source of division.  There are also some people bound to be in Baker's camp and feel the QB that played injured got a raw deal.  

It is as though teams (the Browns aren't the only one) looked at the Bengals and thought:  "Hey, if the Bengals can do it, all we are missing is a QB like Burrow (Browns).  Or "we need a WR like Chase to make our offense click" (Raiders).   There is so much more to it from a culture and chemistry standpoint.  That being said, I think the Raiders are the surprise team from the AFC West.  

It could definitely blow up in their face. This scumbag sitting on the couch collecting major dough could make other players bitter.

Honestly think they should of just kept Baker.

Speaking of the Raiders, that entire AFC West is going to be the toughest Division I have seen in forever barring injuries. 

The Broncos now with a great QB again and a damn good Defense, The Chargers with probably the 2nd best young QB in the NFL
while adding lots of damn good players in FA on Defense, The Raiders adding probably the 2nd best WR to an already pretty decent
WR core and having a decent Defense with Mad Maxx and the Chiefs with Mahomes...

Damn, someone in there won't make the Playoffs and it could be the Chiefs for heck sake.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 02:20 PM)kevin Wrote: Again, this thread stinks.   The Bengals were in THE SUPER BOWL in February and it only took 2 months for some fans to go back to being Wimpy Bengals Fans.  WIMPY is the correct word.  Not the Popeye character that loved hamburgers.  No, WIMPY as in WEAK.  I understand the decades of losing created a WEAK and WIMPY Fan Base, but THE BENGALS were just in THE SUPER BOWL 2 months ago.

So to the WIMPY who agree with this thread, and to the Browns, Steelers, Ravens Trolls on here, I say this....

Clev SuxBalt SuxPitt Sux

Tiger  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Who Dey  Tiger

This type of naive overconfidence is the reason only 4 teams in the last 25 years have made it to back-to-back Super Bowls.

"Ooooh, look at us.  We made it to the Super Bowl.  Nobody can beat us!"
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This type of naive overconfidence is the reason only 4 teams in the last 25 years have made it to back-to-back Super Bowls.

"Ooooh, look at us.  We made it to the Super Bowl.  Nobody can beat us!"

Except....... that's not what he said...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 06:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Except....... that's not what he said...

He is guaranteeing that we win the division.  You really want to start splitting semantic hairs?

At least I did not make an entire post based on nothing but personal insults.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is guaranteeing that we win the division.  You really want to start splitting semantic hairs?

At least I did not make an entire post based on nothing but personal insults.

Split semantic hairs with you? 
There isn't enough time in the day to keep up with your splitting semantic hairs.

FreakoutPanicBalt SuxClev SuxPitt Sux
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 07:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Split semantic hairs with you? 
There isn't enough time in the day to keep up with your splitting semantic hairs.

FreakoutPanicBalt SuxClev SuxPitt Sux

Whatever.

A guy makes a post that is nothing but personal insults against anyone who disagrees with him, but I am the bad guy.

This board is a little pathetic sometimes. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 10:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Whatever.

A guy makes a post that is nothing but personal insults against anyone who disagrees with him, but I am the bad guy.

Sometimes it’s good to look in the mirror and see why so many quarrel with you ?
Reply/Quote
I’d agree with the sentiment that the context of this post sucks. We are defending afc champs with an improved and evolving young, talented team going into 2022. If you can’t see that then fix yourself, don’t worry about the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 11:17 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sometimes it’s good to look in the mirror and see why so many quarrel with you ?

I looked in the mirror and I saw a guy who does not use personal insults in his debates here.

And I don't understand why so many of you are supporting a guy who did that over me.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 10:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Whatever.

Especially the people that just live to argue. They’re just the worst. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I looked in the mirror and I saw a guy who does not use personal insults in his debates here.

And I don't understand why so many of you are supporting a guy who did that over me.

Yeah never.   Tongue

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread?pid=1001412&highlight=whiners#pid1001412

Quote:The problem with all you whiners is that you can't just say that the Bengals made mistakes. That does not make you big enough victims I guess. Instead you have to make up total bullshit about them "not even trying".

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Today-s-11-000-Days-Since-Last-Playoff-Win?pid=991576&highlight=whiners#pid991576

(02-16-2021, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Meh.

One single playoff win is not really that big of a deal.  As soon as we win one the whiners won't celebrate.  Instead they will just shift to "Playoff wins are meaningless if you don't win a championship.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-How-does-Taylor-stack-up-to-worst-coaches-in-NFL-history?pid=927607&highlight=whiners#pid927607

(10-14-2020, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It does not matter.

If Dalton had won a playoff game here the whiners would have said "Nothing matters but Championships.  Celebrating a playoff win is just accepting mediocrity."

These two are also interesting since you used the same language "wimpy" as the person you are critical of:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-0-5-86-9-when-does-the-plug-get-pulled?pid=774524&highlight=whiners#pid774524

(10-07-2019, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The wimpy whiners strike again.

When you disprove their logic they give up and just repeat unsubstantiated claims.

"It doesn't matter when a receiver drops a TD.  Other QBs complete plenty of passes when the defender drops the ball. Derp!"

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Shefter-AJ-Green-will-miss-some-games?pid=625164&highlight=wimpy#pid625164

(11-05-2018, 02:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What exactly do Marvin and Mike have to do with the severity of Greens injury.

I hear all the negative whiners around here claim they are just "realist" because they have seen so many years of Mike and Marvin, but now it seems like these "realists" somehow know that Green will be out for the season.

So please enlighten me on how Mike and Marvin control how long Green will be out.  Because the only ones saying he is out for the year are the "realists".

Seems to me there is a strong correlation between people who call themselves "realists" and wimpy whiners who love to squeal and moan and always assume the worst even when it involves injures that Marvin and Mike have no control over.

And those are just a few examples.   Ninja

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 01:34 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah never.   Tongue

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Official-Bengals-Free-Agency-Thread?pid=1001412&highlight=whiners#pid1001412

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Today-s-11-000-Days-Since-Last-Playoff-Win?pid=991576&highlight=whiners#pid991576

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-How-does-Taylor-stack-up-to-worst-coaches-in-NFL-history?pid=927607&highlight=whiners#pid927607

This two are also interesting since you used the same language "wimpy" as the person you are critical of:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-0-5-86-9-when-does-the-plug-get-pulled?pid=774524&highlight=whiners#pid774524

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Shefter-AJ-Green-will-miss-some-games?pid=625164&highlight=wimpy#pid625164

And those are just a few examples.   Ninja

You are absolutely correct.  I have resorted to personal attacks in the past.  I will try to do better.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are absolutely correct.  I have resorted to personal attacks in the past.  I will try to do better.

Hallelujah 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Zac and company have created a standard on how to build a shitty team into a contender.

Suck your way into Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase and then spend tons of money on FAs for multiple offseasons?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 04:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Suck your way into Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase and then spend tons of money on FAs for multiple offseasons?   Ninja

Tbf they at least spent wisely with those FA dollars (except Waynes). It’s not like they really went out and made any super splashy additions. Maybe Hendrickson? Other than that it was just good solid signings like Bell, Awuzie, Reader, Hilton, etc.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 04:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tbf they at least spent wisely with those FA dollars (except Waynes). It’s not like they really went out and made any super splashy additions. Maybe Hendrickson? Other than that it was just good solid signings like Bell, Awuzie, Reader, Hilton, etc.

You forgot BW Webb and Preston Brown both to 3 year deals. Can't hold it against you, I specifically remembered their situation but I had forgotten their names and had to look it up to remember them. Lol

At the time they made Reader the 9th highest paid DT (and less sure either the highest or second highest paid NT), made Waynes the 9th highest paid CB, made Hendrickson the 8th highest paid DE. If those aren't splashy then there's only like 5 splashy signings each offseason in the league. Even this offseason I think the OL are close to being considered splashy. 12th highest paid C, 14th highest paid G, 9th highest paid RT.

Money has certainly been spent the last couple offseasons.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 04:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Suck your way into Joe Burrow and Ja'Marr Chase and then spend tons of money on FAs for multiple offseasons?   Ninja

That was definitely the topper, we sucked into a couple great players at the perfect time.

But I was speaking more specifically of how Zac and company built the trenches up, the DL first and then the OL this Free Agency.

Doesn't matter how good of a coach you are with pathetic play in the trenches, have said this many times.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad they haven't over paid for insanely ridiculously overpaid players to end up in cap space hell.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2022, 10:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This board is a little pathetic sometimes. 

We got winners
We got losers
Chain-smokers and boozers
We got yuppies
We got bikers
We got thirsty hitchhikers
And the girls next door dress up like movie stars
Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, I love this bar board

We got cowboys
We got truckers
Broken-hearted fools and suckers
And we got hustlers
We got fighters
Early-birds and all-nighters
And the veterans talk about their battle scars
Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, I love this bar board
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 08:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because football is a team sport.

And isn't 28-25 better than 12-13-1

Smart poster: What has Watson ever done?
Fred: A pair of division titles and a playoff win.
Smart poster: 28-25 record, 1-2 in the playoffs.
Fred: It's a team game.

Whatever

So you agree with me that he hasn't really accomplished much.

Look...is it possible you are overestimating the Browns' roster a smidge? Is it really better than what Watson had with the Texans?

In Houston, Watson had a far better WR corp (Hopkins, Fuller, Stills) than he will have in Cleveland. The RBs in Houston were solid. Especially when Hyde and Duke Johnson combined for nearly 2000 yards from scrimmage in 2019. Defense was solid, ranking 8th and 19th in points allowed in their 2 playoff years.

There are no Jaguars in the AFCN. He will face the Steelers, Ravens and defending AFC Champs twice each.

All of this isn't even accounting for his ridiculous contract and the ramifications that will stem from it. I think all these Broncos and Browns fans that are predicting Super Bowls are in for a surprise. The AFC is loaded. There are several better QBs than those 2 in the AFC, and better rosters as well. I like pretty much every aspect of the Bengals better than the Browns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote