Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need 2 new Tackles and a Guard
Glenn has been a major bust. I feel like the Bills knew what they were doing getting out from under his contract.

There was a play where they pulled Glenn and he was running in front of Mixon. It gained a lot of yards, and there were 2 smaller Saints and instead of getting physical and blocking them, Glenn avoided them and they Tackled Mixon.

Mixon could have had a TD with blocking.

Our offensive line in general is very soft. I know there was a lot of hope for Pollack at the start of the year, but at this point...the line is barely better than last year. Boling has actually regressed at a decent clip too.

The only reason we aren't giving up as many sacks is we run a lot of 3 yard passing plays and screens.

On runs, many times there were no holes where the play was called to go and Mixon made crazy cuts to get outside. The blocking is just terrible.

Until we upgrade those 3 positions, we'll struggle.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn has been a major bust. I feel like the Bills knew what they were doing getting out from under his contract.

There was a play where they pulled Glenn and he was running in front of Mixon. It gained a lot of yards, and there were 2 smaller Saints and instead of getting physical and blocking them, Glenn avoided them and they Tackled Mixon.

Our offensive line in general is very soft. I know there was a lot of hope for Pollack at the start of the year, but at this point...the line is barely better than last year. Boling has actually regressed at a decent clip too.

The only reason we aren't giving up as many sacks is we run a lot of 3 yard passing plays and screens.

On runs, many times there were no holes where the play was called to go and Mixon made crazy cuts to get outside. The blocking is just terrible.
Glen MIGHT be able to be salvaged at RT.     
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:19 PM)McC Wrote: Glen MIGHT be able to be salvaged at RT.     

Here's to hoping that. He's also very injury prone.

Man, going into the year it looked like we made some decent moves...and basically EVERY single one backfired.

Glenn. Price gets injured. Pollack hasn't really improved the line much. Austin.

The offense has been mediocre under Lazor.

Preston Brown has been bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here's to hoping that. He's also very injury prone.

Man, going into the year it looked like we made some decent moves...and basically EVERY single one backfired.

Glenn. Price gets injured. Pollack hasn't really improved the line much. Austin.

The offense has been mediocre under Lazor.

Preston Brown has been bad.

And now Mike can go back into once bitten, twice shy mode.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Glenn is fine or at least ok. RT and RG are issues; personally would move Price to RG and keep Hopkins at C.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We had a true leader on the OL. An All Pro caliber guy on and off the field. I miss Whit like most of us do. Horrible decision to let him go.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn has been a major bust. I feel like the Bills knew what they were doing getting out from under his contract.

Until we upgrade those 3 positions, we'll struggle.

Why Westerman is not being given a look i do not know.

Agreed we will need an OT high'ish in the draft...Glenn is still light years ahead of Ced at LT but with his injuries and Hart at RT we need to re-stock
Reply/Quote
Agree that Glenn hasn’t been great, hopefully Price will have a good career here. The offensive line was my biggest priority heading into next year and it wasn’t even close but after watching this train wreck on defense, a 3 down athletic stud linebacker might be a bigger priority.
Reply/Quote
They have to go out and get a true top shelf OT or you can close the book on this core group of players.

And that's just the beginning
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Glenn is FAR from the biggest issue. RT and RG are sieves, Price actually had a decent game but Boling got owned all day. Glenn was also decent. So we need to draft so far:

TE
RG
RT
LB
S

I don't think we have enough picks to do what is needed.
Reply/Quote
We are a couple of players away from being a couple of players away. SSDD. groundhog day
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Here's the thing. People keep suggesting to move Glenn to RT, like he's somehow going to be better on that side? False. He's not a drive blocker, he's a reactionary pass blocker, who's enormous girth has caused him to lose a whole step of that reaction time. Best thing that the Bengals can do, is keep him around to be the swing Tackle.

What they really need is to go ahead and make whatever moves necessary to be in position to draft whomever they feel is the best LT prospect in the draft. Bobby Hart sucks as bad as the Giants' fans had advertised, good thing he's a low-budget player. The Bengals would be smart to be more competitive in free agency, and pick up a solid, established run blocking RT, and sign him to a 3-5 year deal. I also agree with the OP that it's time to look at drafting an upper tier Guard. Clint Boling is good, and is moderately priced, but he's starting to reach the point in his career where he's going to miss some time to injuries from accumulated time in the trenches.

So there's my take. One brand new Tackle, one new-used Tackle, and one brand new Guard. Let Coach Pollack go after the guys with the traits that he's looking for, and rebuild the OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing.  People keep suggesting to move Glenn to RT, like he's somehow going to be better on that side?  False.  He's not a drive blocker, he's a reactionary pass blocker, who's enormous girth has caused him to lose a whole step of that reaction time.  Best thing that the Bengals can do, is keep him around to be the swing Tackle.

What they really need is to go ahead and make whatever moves necessary to be in position to draft whomever they feel is the best LT prospect in the draft.  Bobby Hart sucks as bad as the Giants' fans had advertised, good thing he's a low-budget player.  The Bengals would be smart to be more competitive in free agency, and pick up a solid, established run blocking RT, and sign him to a 3-5 year deal.  I also agree with the OP that it's time to look at drafting an upper tier Guard.  Clint Boling is good, and is moderately priced, but he's starting to reach the point in his career where he's going to miss some time to injuries from accumulated time in the trenches.

So there's my take.  One brand new Tackle, one new-used Tackle, and one brand new Guard.  Let Coach Pollack go after the guys with the traits that he's looking for, and rebuild the OL.

Oh preach it my brother! I'm not sure I'd know how to act if this happened. Even though we've got several other needs to address, this is what I'd do first. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Glenn is FAR from the biggest issue. RT and RG are sieves, Price actually had a decent game but Boling got owned all day. Glenn was also decent. So we need to draft so far:

TE
RG
RT
LB
S

I don't think we have enough picks to do what is needed.

How is safety an issue? Bates is great and Williams is solid
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Bates looks good Williams is far from solid.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:41 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Oh preach it my brother! I'm not sure I'd know how to act if this happened. Even though we've got several other needs to address, this is what I'd do first. 

No one will ever convince me that the way to build a successful team doesn't begin with having a strong offensive line.  Hell, blocking and tackling are the very foundation of football.  The better your OL is, the better your defense will be from having to practice against those bastards.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:48 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Glenn is fine or at least ok.  RT and RG are issues; personally would move Price to RG and keep Hopkins at C.

Glenn is not fine. He grades out basically the same as Bobby Hart.

And of the 2, I'd rather having the one making the league min than the one making $12 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing.  People keep suggesting to move Glenn to RT, like he's somehow going to be better on that side?  False.  He's not a drive blocker, he's a reactionary pass blocker, who's enormous girth has caused him to lose a whole step of that reaction time.  Best thing that the Bengals can do, is keep him around to be the swing Tackle.

What they really need is to go ahead and make whatever moves necessary to be in position to draft whomever they feel is the best LT prospect in the draft.  Bobby Hart sucks as bad as the Giants' fans had advertised, good thing he's a low-budget player.  The Bengals would be smart to be more competitive in free agency, and pick up a solid, established run blocking RT, and sign him to a 3-5 year deal.  I also agree with the OP that it's time to look at drafting an upper tier Guard.  Clint Boling is good, and is moderately priced, but he's starting to reach the point in his career where he's going to miss some time to injuries from accumulated time in the trenches.

So there's my take.  One brand new Tackle, one new-used Tackle, and one brand new Guard.  Let Coach Pollack go after the guys with the traits that he's looking for, and rebuild the OL.

Yes! With Glenn's pricetag, I think they waive him though.

What a terrible domino effect missing on Fisher and Ced had.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No one will ever convince me that the way to build a successful team doesn't begin with having a strong offensive line.  Hell, blocking and tackling are the very foundation of football.  The better your OL is, the better your defense will be from having to practice against those bastards.

Yes! If you look at our best Bengal teams...we had good offensive lines too!

I agree. We need a strong line.

I'd use Hart as the 3rd Tackle because he's priced reasonably and try to trade Glenn.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes! With Glenn's pricetag, I think they waive him though.

What a terrible domino effect missing on Fisher and Ced had.

(11-12-2018, 09:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes! If you look at our best Bengal teams...we had good offensive lines too!

I agree. We need a strong line.

I'd use Hart as the 3rd Tackle because he's priced reasonably and try to trade Glenn.

Glenn is expensive, but relatively cheap by starting LT standards.  Just like yourself, I'd love to see him down the road.  However, he's serviceable enough to man the position, while a top draft pick were to be groomed.  That is why I suggested keeping him as the Swing Tackle.  

On Bobby Hart?  Yeah, he's cheap.  And for good reason.  The Bengals would have been much better off just giving Andre Smith a two year deal, similar to what AZ gave him, and he could have retired a Bengal.  When healthy, he's still pretty good at moving that man in front of him, and getting downfield to run interference.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote